PSP Go or UMD PSP?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
Which to you people prefer? Myself, I like the PSP Go a LOT better. 1) It fits better in my hands and feels more natural as gaming device. 2) it is much smaller and more portable. 3) all the titles I am interested in are downloadable. 4) No more lugging around UMDs, Controller harnesses, or big stands for my PSP...just fits in my pocket.
Wizgot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Wizgot
Member since 2009 • 92 Posts

Well, if you expect to get the go, then dont think about playing most of the older psp titles. It also has a smaller screen. I would reall go for the UMD version.

killeracer0210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 killeracer0210
Member since 2009 • 1475 Posts
I would say UMD PSP, because i only buy Umd games from my local game store.
fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts

I have a large library of UMD games. I'm not repurchasing them.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
I prefer UMD, because it heats up my hands in the winter.
Nismology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Nismology
Member since 2009 • 649 Posts

I would get the UMD vesrion because:

1. The UMD games are cheaper, and there is more choice

2. You can trade in the games on afterwards

3. The screen is bigger

4. The buttons are better quality and have more travel

5. The analogue nub is bigger and IMO in a better place

6. You can also download games from PSN on the PSP 3000, don't forget, you just have the option of playing UMDs should you want to

7. The PSP 3000 is significantly cheaper than the Go, even if you get a game bundled with it

8. The 3000 comes in a variety of colours

9. Need I go on?

leechant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 leechant
Member since 2005 • 214 Posts

I love my psp go and heres why,

1, It fits in your pocket

2, you can always find bargins on the psn store, i.e modnation racing GAME Retail- £24.99, PSN store £16.99 :D

3, The download times are fast about 45 mins to download a 1.5GB game. On my 8mb connection(Think about it by the time you have decided to get the game, got in your car, drove to the shop, Have some guy behind the till try to sell you insurence with your game, left the shop and drove back home) That can be waht 1-2 hrs.

4, The battery life is as good as the 3000.

5, I love my psp go. I always said I hated handheld games but with the likes of Modnation racers, little big planet ect. and it fits in your pocket

:D

Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

I prefer UMD PSP. It has a bigger screen, you can buy games from PSN and still play them on there and you can play UMD games on there as well.

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#9 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

The UMD psp, I mean you can download the PSN versions of the game to it anyways, and it's somewhat portable.

bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#10 bowlingotter
Member since 2005 • 6464 Posts

The Go is nice, but has some serious problems. IE. many games in the PSP library are not available for download, and the new Kingdom Hearts title (one that's counted on to sell systems) is UMD-only.

That's a pretty glaring problem right there.

Plus the games that you can download on the PSP Go are downloadable on the UMD systems too, so you don't HAVE to use UMDs, but it actually has the option.

The PSP Go is a little more portable, has a nicer control layout, a bigger price tag, and less games available for it (not to mention no option to buy used games).

TheSonyKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheSonyKid
Member since 2010 • 43 Posts
Ok.... I wanna know why people have the misconception that with and older psp you HAVE to have umd's? Like the person who posted this said no more lugging around UMD's well psn store is still there isnt it? However I do like the PSP Go simply for the portability because I do not simply just use my psp as a gaming console I watch movies and listen music as well and this makes it easier for me to carry around that media
Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

If I had a choice, I would go for the go. But since I already have the 2000, I see no need to.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

Regular [UMD] PSP.

• There are more games available for it.
  • I can buy games second hand.
  • I could sell my games later on.
  • In several cases the retail games are cheaper than their download counterparts.
  • Pre-order bonuses from places like GameStop.
JohnnyWPSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#14 JohnnyWPSP
Member since 2009 • 1895 Posts

I prefer UMDs and my 3000.

Jachael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jachael
Member since 2010 • 257 Posts

While the advantage of not carrying around UMD's would be nice, I prefer to have a physical copy of my games. I buy very very few XBLA or PSN games because of that. Sony should just make installs backward compatible for older UMD games so we put large flash drives in our PSPs and copy the game data to that. It will never happen because the logistics are difficult to program for and the PSP is too far into its lifespan. Maybe PSP2 will have that feature as a starting standard. We'll just have to wait and see.

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

UMD.

-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -ArchAngeL-777-
I think the biggest problem with the Go is that it did not come out first. People just arent going to get rid of their UMD collection to buy downloadable titles. Fortunately for me, I am not really intersted in the games I cant download off PSN. For people who like to bargain hunt old games, the UMD version is better. The screen is smaller, but I really have not noticed. It is still large enough, and the graphics look excellent. I had a PSP 1000 and sold it, so the PSP Go's enhanced screen looks much better to me than my old model. It is much higher quality, but I think that is the case with the PSP 3000 as well. The PSP Go bundle is a problem as well. Forcing $80 worth of games on you for a total price of $250. The hardware is actually the same price as PSP 3000. Ratchet and Clank, Fireteam Bravo 3, and Little Big Planet are good games but not what I am looking for. I would rather them give me $80 credit to downloadable titles on PSN. That's why I actually got my PSP Go used from Gamestop for $150 plus $20 1 year warranty. Now I can spend the $80 on whatever games I want which has so far been Justice League Heroes ($10), Gran Turismo ($20), and Valkyria Chronicles 2 ($40).
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#18 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the Go, conceptually, but Sony's existing PSP business model makes it almost completely irrelevant. Their main problem is that the PSP Go doesn't do anything useful the 3000 is incapable of (except for save states, which is pretty minor). The 3000 can be fitted with a big memory card and functions exactly the same when it comes to downloading PSN content. Its memory cards are even cheaper, courtesy of another blunder on Sony's part by going to a new, yet again proprietary and more expensive format. They also made the charging/transfer cable proprietary where it used to be a standard USB. Sony basically expects people to pay almost $100 more for a device that does less. Why they think the average consumer will pay a premium for that is beyond me - it should be cheaper than the 3000 or (at the very least) the same price.
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -ArchAngeL-777-
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]There's nothing wrong with the Go, conceptually, but Sony's existing PSP business model makes it almost completely irrelevant. Their main problem is that the PSP Go doesn't do anything useful the 3000 is incapable of (except for save states, which is pretty minor). The 3000 can be fitted with a big memory card and functions exactly the same when it comes to downloading PSN content. Its memory cards are even cheaper, courtesy of another blunder on Sony's part by going to a new, yet again proprietary and more expensive format. They also made the charging/transfer cable proprietary where it used to be a standard USB. Sony basically expects people to pay almost $100 more for a device that does less. Why they think the average consumer will pay a premium for that is beyond me - it should be cheaper than the 3000 or (at the very least) the same price.

The hardware is actually the same price. The $250 PSP Go bundle is forcing $80 worth of games on you (LBP, Fireteam Bravo 3, and Ratchet and Clank). Best Buy was selling the PSP 3000 for $170. I personally never could stand the way the buttons were layed out on the UMD PSP. The PSP Go feels about as natural as a PS3 controller.
coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#20 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
UMD psp aka PSP3000 and under. I like those better than the go.
BelmontV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 BelmontV
Member since 2008 • 146 Posts

Definetly PSP UMD, it has a bigger screen (which matters a lot to me personally), you can just get a 16GB memory stick for it and download games from the PSN store (and it would be basically the same as a PSP Go, except for size and so forth). Plus some games aren't coming out immediatly for the PSP Go, take Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep as an example, right now it's only going to come out immediatly for the PSP UMD (might come out for the Go in the future, but no news of such occuring have been revealed yet). So from a consumer viewpoint, the PSP UMD is cheaper (without counting the 16GB memory stick, since you could just get one that's smaller), screen size, and game availability, PSP UMD is definetly a better choice (in my opinion).

mariomaster16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#22 mariomaster16
Member since 2008 • 762 Posts

3. The screen is bigger

6. You can also download games from PSN on the PSP 3000, don't forget, you just have the option of playing UMDs should you want to

7. The PSP 3000 is significantly cheaper than the Go, even if you get a game bundled with it

9. Need I go on?

Nismology

Pretty much sums it up. also PSN prices don't really go down until the game has been out about a year, and there's no option to buy "used" downloads. used games are cheaper and for a college kid like me cheap is good.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
PSP Go suxxorz!
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Which to you people prefer? Myself, I like the PSP Go a LOT better. 1) It fits better in my hands and feels more natural as gaming device. 2) it is much smaller and more portable. 3) all the titles I am interested in are downloadable. 4) No more lugging around UMDs, Controller harnesses, or big stands for my PSP...just fits in my pocket.-ArchAngeL-777-

If the Go fits the criteria, it is the superior system. However, some factors are biggies:

1. It must fit the persons hands. Sometimes the system control setup is awkward for people. That may seem odd to people that don't have a problem with it, but for others it makes it physically unplayable.

2. The Go has the immensely superior screen. A tad smaller, but of much higher quality.

3. The best thing about it is that you are buying the licenses. While I'm not a fan of this, and if indeed the next psp is backwards compatible, this would make it possible to transfer all your psp purchases to PSP2(if there ever is one).

--this is coming from a psp 3000 owner

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
get the umd version and then get a 16 gb mem card. and there ya go, have fun with your psp....
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I own both and prefer the GO. I hardly ever use my 2000 but if I can't download BBS, well then I'm glad I have a 2000.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

3. The best thing about it is that you are buying the licenses. While I'm not a fan of this, and if indeed the next psp is backwards compatible, this would make it possible to transfer all your psp purchases to PSP2(if there ever is one).

Heirren

Technically if you were buying a license then you should have the right to transfer ownership over it; several court cases have made it clear that the first sale doctrine still applies to licenses (the law does not recognize the term "non-transferable"). Sony, like most, currently treats DD as if the consumer is merely paying for access.

Anyways, if any PSP-1000, 2000, or 3000 owners are really concerned with this then they can still download the exact same games from PSN.

lbg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lbg1
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I prefer the umd psp go some people don't have theinternetto download the games and you might lose the psp go.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
I love my go for the fact that it has the onboard memory. yeah, i paid around $70 more than a PSP 3000, but when i got 16 GBs and $85 worth of games with it, not to mention that i can expand that 16, fits in my pocket and works with bluetooth headphones, i think i got the better deal. I had sold off what UMDs i had long ago and went digital. the Go is perfect for me
Lionereviewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 Lionereviewer
Member since 2010 • 71 Posts

I currently own the PSP 3000 Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker edition, and I love it. It took a while getting used to the controls but I wouldn't change them for anything. I honestly love the option of having UMDs or downloading titles off of PSN. My PSP also fits in my pocket, and I don't have a problem bringing it anywhere.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Persaonally I prefer a bit of both - ie a UMD system but playing games installed/downloaded from PSN to a Memory Stick PRO Duo.

RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RACiEP
Member since 2010 • 687 Posts

These are practically my exact thoughts. :P

3. The screen is bigger

9. Need I go on?

Nismology

I hope I can save enough money to buy one this Christmas. :)

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
A more expensive verision of the PSP with a lot less games and more expensive games doesn't float my boat. I've never used a GO so I can't speak for comfort, convenience, etc.