PS4's Dualshock4 controller: The Future of Touch controls?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

DS4

So since my last post regarding the Dualshock4, I had been checking online to know practical applications of this new touch pad thingy/gimmick on the DS4 Sony recently announced and while i remain kind of skeptical, some view into the Vita games and mobile games is starting to make me have a re-think.

Here is a post i found online from a User regarding the touchpad, while it is an opinion, you cannot help but look at the mobile gaming scene

ucUc

Uncharted Golden Abyss Charcoal Rub and Drag and drop puzzle

ipadipda

Ipad's virtual buttons and multi-touch

Regarding the touch pad, it's an adaptive interface, so it can be used for whatever developers want it to be used for.

Look for mini-game controls, menu navigation, map navigation and function (Swipe to move map, tap for waypoint).

The touch pads is one of the main reason why mobile gaming is still booming. You make anything with it from virtual buttons and sticks for the traditional experience all the way to gesture based input. The only limit is the imagination of developers now instead of just a dozen or so buttons that often have to do double and triple duty.

Menus, inventory, XMB, any screen where you had to constantly flick a stick or mash your D-Pad to navigate can now be relegated to the touch pad. That's HUGE! It'll be one of those things like rumble. Something that you don't really notice, but becomes such a necessary part of the experience that you wouldn't feel right playing anything without it. Mark my words.

The beauty of it all is that Sony and the developers who will utilize this know exactly what I'm talking about. This is the ball Nintendo dropped. Developers will be all over it. I can't wait to see how it's used in a Fallout game for the Pip Boy or in a game like Watch Dogs.

Sony is indirectly giving Nintendo a helping hand. As developers learn to integrate the touch pad into the Sony gaming experience, they will be able to apply that knowledge to WiiU and materialize the genius they had in integrating that second screen before anybody.

If none of this happens, then two console makers have missed the boat to the future...

What is your opinion on the new touchpad?

Zerohmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Zerohmus
Member since 2013 • 43 Posts
I saw, but when PS4 will be released?
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
It remains to be seen how integral it will be. I disagree with rumble being such "a necessary part of the experience." I can play games very well without rumble or any tactile feedback. In fact, I can't remember the last game I played that even had it as part of the game. So it's not that huge.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I think it's completely unnecessary and will probably be rarely utilized. 

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

It's needed for mobile gaming because there's not much else in terms of controls and even when there is (like the Vita) it works because the screen is in your hands and all the options are easy to reach.  The PS4 touch pad seems like it may feel odd to use due to not really knowing where you'll be touching in relation to the TV screen. 

Though, I will not put it down until I see it in action, as they're likely spending a good amount of time making sure it's worth having.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

It's just a trackpad dood.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts
I think it will be the future of touch controls in the same sense that six axis was the future of motion control.
dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3055 Posts

It remains to be seen how integral it will be. I disagree with rumble being such "a necessary part of the experience." I can play games very well without rumble or any tactile feedback. In fact, I can't remember the last game I played that even had it as part of the game. So it's not that huge.Kravyn81

I'm not sure how the touch pad will work out, but rumble is very important to me. Those original six-axis only controllers were/are junk. Without it, games just feel hollow...at least to me. Lair is a game that really could've used some force feedback...as well as some other stuff :)

AJC3317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 AJC3317
Member since 2003 • 2546 Posts
I think it will be the future of touch controls in the same sense that six axis was the future of motion control.judaspete
came in to say exactly this. will probably be forced into a few early games, then largely forgotten about
Zoza24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zoza24
Member since 2011 • 61 Posts

If the use is practical enough, ill say keep it there. But they havent shown anything to be usefull in games or the interface.

But im all for new ideas, as long as the execution is done well, Then ill say COOL!..

I can see myself scrolling this feature with some RPG game or in customization menu for a caracter etc.. who knows what good use it can be for :)

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

I don't really care for it, but glad that they made it more minimal instead of resembling a tablet. Including Move technology was smart, though.

NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

If the DS4 had a Touch SCREEN...I would say yes the chances for seemless integration becomes more of reality...a touch screen could help with menus and such and could provide some unique ideas such as maybe using the controller as the camera for Fatal Frame.

But as just a touchpad...ehh...not seeing how much it can improve the experience.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i don't think there will be any overlap between the touchpad and the wii u touchscreen. the touchscreen gives visual feedback so all the tiny things like navigating menus actually make sense with the hardware (you see the icon on the touchscreen and activate it).

i'm no developer, but i can't imagine a decent use for the touchpad. i think it will be much like the sixaxis.

GLove093093

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GLove093093
Member since 2010 • 57 Posts
It remains to be seen how integral it will be. I disagree with rumble being such "a necessary part of the experience." I can play games very well without rumble or any tactile feedback. In fact, I can't remember the last game I played that even had it as part of the game. So it's not that huge.Kravyn81
I like rumble.:(
MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 1

#15 MaddenBowler10
Member since 2005 • 8999 Posts
Not if it's the main focus of controls in a certain game.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I imagine Sony will encourage developers to use it and we'll probably get some PSN games that are based around it, to "bridge the gap" between console and cell phone gamers.  And after a year or so that will all be forgotten about and it will just be used for navigating menus.  Mostly horizontal ones as it's a lot wider that it is tall.

It could be useful for minigames like lockpiking in Fallout / Elder Scrolls games and...and...well maybe something else too.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
I'm not sure how the touch pad will work out, but rumble is very important to me. Those original six-axis only controllers were/are junk. Without it, games just feel hollow...at least to me. Lair is a game that really could've used some force feedback...as well as some other stuff :)dimebag667
I agree with that: The SIXAXIS was just a lame attempt at motion controls. I'm not against rumble, I simply disagree with the TC and his statement about how necessary it is or about how important it is. Think about it: If it were that important to a game then more games would implement it; it's as simple as that. But that's not really the case at least that I've experienced.
I like rumble.:(GLove093093
Good for you--so do I :) As I just said I'm not against it or anything, but it's a feature that if it's there in a game, cool, if not, oh well. It doesn't impact me playing the game at all if it's missing is my point.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

It's just a gimmick

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3055 Posts

[QUOTE="dimebag667"]I'm not sure how the touch pad will work out, but rumble is very important to me. Those original six-axis only controllers were/are junk. Without it, games just feel hollow...at least to me. Lair is a game that really could've used some force feedback...as well as some other stuff :)Kravyn81
I agree with that: The SIXAXIS was just a lame attempt at motion controls. I'm not against rumble, I simply disagree with the TC and his statement about how necessary it is or about how important it is. Think about it: If it were that important to a game then more games would implement it; it's as simple as that. But that's not really the case at least that I've experienced.

I can agree that if it wasn't there...I would probably get used to it and move on, but since it is...I need it:) I'm not sure what games you're playing that don't have rumble, but it's most every game I can think of; unless its not and I just don't notice. If anything I think mechanics or functionally that doesn't hurt or hinder in any way should never be taken away. Local split-screen for instance; that should in every game that any sort of multiplayer (that could use it correctly)Â