PS3 without a HD TV

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rabbit_pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

User Lists: 0

#1 rabbit_pie
Member since 2005 • 200 Posts
I dont have a HD TV but am planning on getting a PS3, i was wondering if the graphics are still good without a HD TV. Or should you only bother getting one if you have a HD TV?
risqu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 risqu3
Member since 2006 • 117 Posts

I dont have a HD TV but am planning on getting a PS3, i was wondering if the graphics are still good without a HD TV. Or should you only bother getting one if you have a HD TV?rabbit_pie

that is like buying a $5000 top end quad core computer with SLI/Crossfire topend video cards, and playing on 640x480 resolution.

and if you didnt know...normal SDtv's are 480i as in 640x480. 

mdl207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mdl207
Member since 2006 • 481 Posts

I think the graphics are certainly still nice on a regular TV.

But they'll really be enhanced with an HDTV. You should definitely consider that as a future purchase. The price on HDTV's is rapidly coming down too. I believe there are some budget versions out there (at stores like Costco) where you could get a 42" LCD HDTV for less than a grand. 

arondeep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 arondeep
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
The graphics are very good on a non HDTV but you will notice that the web browser is very blurry and many games will have slight pixel flickers. I am running one on a non HD TV at the moment but am planning to get a sony bravia soon. I would recommend waiting for a HD TV to get the full experience with games, blu ray etc... But if you are like me and cant wait, then just get it now:)
Spartan8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Spartan8907
Member since 2006 • 3731 Posts
The graphics may not be HD, but they are a BIG step above last gen and are impressive at any resolution. It still looks awsome, you just see some jaggies and thats all. The only thing HD does is gets rid of the jaggies and has some better color quality.
gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts
At least save up for a 22 monitor.
Joker1232003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Joker1232003
Member since 2003 • 1567 Posts
Seems lke yesterday when I Was asking this question...now i own a PS3. Im even running it on a SDTV a 15" on ROFL! But yea im getting a HDTV soon only 19" only 720p but its gonna look nice i hope. PS3 looks great no matter what, If anyone reading this post has any questions about PS3 on SD TV then PM me. I'll also answer PS3 related question to what i can lol. SDTV+PS3= Living the dream!
l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts

[QUOTE="rabbit_pie"]I dont have a HD TV but am planning on getting a PS3, i was wondering if the graphics are still good without a HD TV. Or should you only bother getting one if you have a HD TV?risqu3

that is like buying a $5000 top end quad core computer with SLI/Crossfire topend video cards, and playing on 640x480 resolution.

and if you didnt know...normal SDtv's are 480i as in 640x480.

All that and you don't even answer the guys question................sad
gayguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gayguy
Member since 2003 • 1077 Posts
Im playing on SD with my PS3.  The games look better than anything that comes before it.  I didnt find the graphics blurry and pixelated.  I guess it depends how good your SDTV is.  The best result is hook it up to component cables.  But I hooked it up to composite cable with my ****ty old SDTV,  But it still looks great.
Shaqneel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shaqneel
Member since 2006 • 1413 Posts
Ok well its like this.  An HDTV gives you much greater resolution which results in a much clearer more enjoyable experience.  The greater the resolution, the more vibrant colors and details are in the picture.  PS3 is amazing in high definition however you can get by with a standard tv, as i have seen ps3 in standard definition.  On a standard tv, it looks fine as the design in most games has been fine tuned to looks very clear and realistic.  However, the flip side of this, is that to truly appreciate the visual details in the game, you would need a tv with greater resolution, i.e an hdtv.  My conlusion, you should be fine for now playing your ps3 on a standard tv as the games still look very good, however i would reccomend that you start saving for some type of hdtv or monitor because the ps3 was designed to be a high definition gaming system and really, the visuals are just something else in HD.  Hope I could help. 
chrislovesdana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 chrislovesdana
Member since 2004 • 38 Posts

I've done both and it still looks good without HD.  With HD is freaking awesome.  I switched up to an Epson 1080i projector and shoot it against a 10 foot wall.  Resistance Fall of Man is really sick at that size and resolution.  Also some games aren'r playable outside of HD.  For example, Formula One CE has a time trial mode.  They did some pretty cool things with the lighting, but if you don't have HD, it just makes it so you can't see.

Joker1232003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Joker1232003
Member since 2003 • 1567 Posts
I just went into the PS3 settings and it said i was cuurenty displaying he PS3 AT 560 somthing i. Surely thats wrong ive got a SD tv! Whats the point of getting 720p whens its not that big a jump lol!
dstryr13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dstryr13
Member since 2007 • 6521 Posts

i play on an SDTV cuz my wife wont let me get a HDTV yet and it still looks friggin awesome

dont let none of this non HDTV having bull stop you from getting a PS3 it looks great either way

haseeb_1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 haseeb_1989
Member since 2005 • 1322 Posts
We have a hd tv but  i can only play on it on saturday nights cause everyone else watches it every other day, but i can play when no one else is home, but to bad i dont have an hdmi cable to a av component cable.
mrfrieze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mrfrieze
Member since 2007 • 217 Posts
Just go out and find a nice computer monitor, that's what I have my 360 on now and it work well. I cant wait to get a 42 inc 1080i tv and a playstation 3
Avatar image for The_Dark_Jester
The_Dark_Jester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 The_Dark_Jester
Member since 2003 • 1649 Posts
I play mine on an SDTV and it doesn't look too bad. Although I'm picking up an 32" HDTV soon for under $800. The internet channel does look a little blurry though not that it should matter. What I'm getting at is, yes, it still looks fantastic on an SDTV.