PS3 Slim 120GB freezes sometimes

This topic is locked from further discussion.

draudn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 draudn
Member since 2009 • 458 Posts

I've had my PS3 Slim since June 10th, after my phat broke and I had to get a new one. It has been working great, but it freezes occasionally. I don't know what causes freezes, but I dont think it overheats. since the fan never suddenly starts making a lot of noise, and it has a lot of space.
I always get paranoid when it freezes, because Im not sure if it was a buggy software/buggy game, or if my PS3 might be dying.

-WipeOut HD has frozen twice after I got it with PS+

-Aliens Vs Predator has frozen once in the alien campaign

-Mafia 2 demo froze on me on its sixth or seventh playthrough

-Red Dead Redemption froze yesterday after walking out of a stage coach in Escalara after probably 80+ hours gameplay.

A total of five freezes over two months

I have also installed and played MGS4, Mirrors Edge, Heavy Rain, Uncharted games, GTA4 etc etc, but they didnt freeze.

So where these freezes most likely software? I read that WipeOut has online issues (like looking behind while online racing), and AvP and Red Dead might have a few bugs, and Mafia 2 is a demo so it might be badly programmed.

Should I worry?

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
No, consoles have always done this, it's nothing to worry about.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
My slim has froze a few times but never less than a month apart, nothing to worry about every game and every software will have small bugs but maybe its just too hot in your room, try opening a window.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Mine froze the same amount of times over two months. One of the few downsides of the slims is that they freeze more than the fats.
mauiboynokaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 mauiboynokaoi
Member since 2009 • 175 Posts

Strange that some people seem to get freezes more. Mine only froze when I tried to exit a game during something rather labor intensive (I can't remember what now but I think it was during Medal of Honor Airborne).

tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts
My fat console freezes really a lot in the browser. Always have to hold down on power button until it beeps and shuts down.
mauiboynokaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mauiboynokaoi
Member since 2009 • 175 Posts

My fat console freezes really a lot in the browser. Always have to hold down on power button until it beeps and shuts down.tommyas
I thought you just press it once then it tries to shutdown naturally and after a long wait, it forces the shutdown?

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts

No, consoles have always done this, it's nothing to worry about.MushroomWig
Don't generalize and act like this is a problem with ALL consoles. Older PS3s, (or at least mine) have NOT frozen once while playing a game. The only time it has frozen was when I tried to use the internet browser with Javascript enabled. A nearly FOUR year old console has frozen ONCE.

Meanwhile, my slim, (which I recently sold) froze up around 20 times in less than a year. :| Yeah. Luckily I was able to sell the piece of garbage.

tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts

[QUOTE="tommyas"]My fat console freezes really a lot in the browser. Always have to hold down on power button until it beeps and shuts down.mauiboynokaoi

I thought you just press it once then it tries to shutdown naturally and after a long wait, it forces the shutdown?

If i just tap it then it wont do anything. I have to hold it down like five seconds until it beeps once. Then it starts flashing green and after few seconds it triple beeps, turns off the controller and shuts down at once. Then when I turn it back on it sometimes says the system wasnt turned off properly last time and asks me if I want to send Sony a report on it.
draudn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 draudn

[QUOTE="mauiboynokaoi"]

[QUOTE="tommyas"]My fat console freezes really a lot in the browser. Always have to hold down on power button until it beeps and shuts down.tommyas

If i just tap it then it wont do anything. I have to hold it down like five seconds until it beeps once. Then it starts flashing green and after few seconds it triple beeps, turns off the controller and shuts down at once. Then when I turn it back on it sometimes says the system wasnt turned off properly last time and asks me if I want to send Sony a report on it.

When my Slim freezes, I press the reset once, wait a few seconds and then it delivers three beeps and shuts down.
And I haven't gotten the "wasn't turned off properly" message yet, but I remember getting it with my phat.

SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#11 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

Well I don't ever remember my phat freezing but my slim has frozen maybe twice since April. The other slim in the house freezes more often but it's in a warmer room and tends to have stuff piled up around it so......

SaaM-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SaaM-x
Member since 2010 • 437 Posts

I have a 120GB Slim and it does freeze sometimes when I am using the Internet Browser. I then switch the console off via the button on the front and it does nothing for around 10 seconds then eventually shuts down.

draudn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 draudn

So this is pretty common then I guess, since this has happened to many.
there are many bugged games out there :)

Thanks for the relief then, this things get me paranoid.

mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

Mine froze the same amount of times over two months. One of the few downsides of the slims is that they freeze more than the fats.Floppy_Jim

pffftt tell me about it, its frozen on me in the middle of matches in Battlefield online

draudn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 draudn

Why does the slim freeze more than fat?

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MushroomWig

[QUOTE="MushroomWig"]No, consoles have always done this, it's nothing to worry about.Doolz2024

Don't generalize and act like this is a problem with ALL consoles. Older PS3s, (or at least mine) have NOT frozen once while playing a game. The only time it has frozen was when I tried to use the internet browser with Javascript enabled. A nearly FOUR year old console has frozen ONCE.

Meanwhile, my slim, (which I recently sold) froze up around 20 times in less than a year. :| Yeah. Luckily I was able to sell the piece of garbage.

Obviously not every console ever made has frozen but it's something that's a pretty common thing to happen. Every console I've ever owned has done it at least 10 times, at random times, my PS2 is still in perfect working order and it's done it more times than I can remember.
BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

I have had the slim ps3 for like 2 months now and it has never froze on me during playing video game. It did froze on me once or twice during internet browser.

draudn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 draudn

I have had the slim ps3 for like 2 months now and it has never froze on me during playing video game. It did froze on me once or twice during internet browser.

BH14

I guess it totally depends on what you play. It's not like all of my games have frozen, just a few selected ones, which I found out after some reading had some issues.

(Well, I haven't done any "research" on my Mafia II demo freeze, but that was a demo and I guess you will find a bug if you play it enough)

I just get paranoid when these freezes occur, but now I know that my PS3 isn't gonna die. :)

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

freezing happens some times. i guess all i can tell you is to give your ps3 a break sometimes (depending on how much you play it.)

JOrdanFX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JOrdanFX
Member since 2008 • 28 Posts

mine has frozen a few times since I bought it and its never been too frequent or anything. But I've been playing the Scott Pilgrim game all week and one day if froze and then the next day I got stuck on a part of the game where it wouldn't let me advance to the next screen. I realized after this that the freezing probably isn't so much a problem with the console as it is just glitches in game.

J-WOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 J-WOW
Member since 2010 • 3105 Posts
Mine froze the same amount of times over two months. One of the few downsides of the slims is that they freeze more than the fats.Floppy_Jim
they do? damn I wanted to get rid of my 40gb for a slim
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MushroomWig
[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]Mine froze the same amount of times over two months. One of the few downsides of the slims is that they freeze more than the fats.J-WOW

I don't agree with him, my slim has only frozen 6-7 times in a year, can't say the same for my original fat model.
J-WOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 J-WOW
Member since 2010 • 3105 Posts
[QUOTE="J-WOW"][QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]Mine froze the same amount of times over two months. One of the few downsides of the slims is that they freeze more than the fats.MushroomWig

I don't agree with him, my slim has only frozen 6-7 times in a year, can't say the same for my original fat model.

I want to get rid of my 40gb becuz the HDD is full and the fan gets way too loud everytime I play anygame. BUT I dont want to get a system thats going to freez on me constantly. My 40gb hasnt froozen in a very long time and I always has my PS3 on 24/7
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MushroomWig
[QUOTE="MushroomWig"][QUOTE="J-WOW"] they do? damn I wanted to get rid of my 40gb for a slimJ-WOW

I want to get rid of my 40gb becuz the HDD is full and the fan gets way too loud everytime I play anygame. BUT I dont want to get a system thats going to freez on me constantly. My 40gb hasnt froozen in a very long time and I always has my PS3 on 24/7

I can't promise that it'll never freeze,you may be lucky and get a system that never freezes or you may be unlucky and it'll constantly freeze. All I can do is give you a view from my experience, my PS3 is on a lot, it's either being used for Bluray movies, DVD movies, Gaming, music or viewing photos and it's still very quiet. I've had it since September last year and it's frozen 6-7 times since then I look after it, it's in a well ventilated area and I usually clean it once or twice a week. You can't make a decision like that based off something that another user has said,it's really up to you because noone here wil lbe able to 100% guarantee and your slim will not have any problems. I guess that's the risk with any new technology.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]Mine froze the same amount of times over two months. One of the few downsides of the slims is that they freeze more than the fats.J-WOW

There's no reason you shouldn't do that. It's nothing more than a minor annoyance, they are better than fats all things considered.
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#26 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Mine freezes occasionally, nothing to worry about.
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

That sucks. Anyway when the Slims freezes, what do you do? I know the Phat got an on and off switch at the back and that's how I turn it off when it freezes. What about the Slims, does it also have a switch at the back?

draudn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 draudn

There's no switch on the back, so when it freezes I just press the I/O button (the start button on the front of the console) once and after a few seconds it delivers three beeps and turns off.

I have yet to receive an "error report" of any kind when I go back into the Playstation again. I suppose that's the differnce between pressing the button and holding it.

jose88eric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jose88eric
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

my ps3 frozens several times i have less than a month with it,, ps3 slim 120gb, i want my money back