PS3 RPG Recommendations?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SilverForests

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SilverForests
Member since 2016 • 2 Posts

Being picky about my choice in games, I've found simply researching for a new addiction has been unhelpful. I long for the days when I'd flop on my couch and binge on Skyrim for hours at a time, but have now completed the game twice (with all expansion packs). I've gone through Resident Evil, LBP 1, 2 and 3, Oblivion, and the Batman trilogy. Need recommendations.

TRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TRPG
Member since 2015 • 271 Posts

hi I like the PlayStation TRPG line of games! Those are the rpgs I game with nowadays; psthree has got no more than a couple of TRPGs with isometric maps; I like Disgaea D2 and Tears To Tiara 2 .

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

I always recommend Ni No Kuni

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

Persona 3 & 4 via PS3's PS2 Classics section of the digital store better than anything released during entire PS3 generation, and only $9.99 each. They've also few other classic SMT games there too, like Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, and the two Devil Summoner games. All those are available in North America, but I believe some releases limited in Europe and/or PAL regions. At very least, give Persona 3 a try if you haven't already.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts
  • Kingdoms of Amalure: Reckoning - Really cool action RPG. The combat system would be good enough for a straightforward action game, but as an added bonus you get a whole RPG on top of that.
  • Valkyria Chronicles - A turn based strategy RPG with a very unique battle system and graphics that look like a sketch book.
  • Resonance of Fate - Awesome steam punk-anime RPG. Takes some time to wrap your head around the mechanics, but things get totally badass once you do.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

@judaspete said:
  • Valkyria Chronicles - A turn based strategy RPG with a very unique battle system and graphics that look like a sketch book.
  • Resonance of Fate - Awesome steam punk-anime RPG. Takes some time to wrap your head around the mechanics, but things get totally badass once you do.

I second these two as well.

• Valkyria Chronicles is very unique in its design and not like a typical JRPG. I really like the focus on strategy. This is also available on PS4 now if TC should have one.
  • I actually waited until after I played Project X Zone on the 3DS before I decided to play Resonance of Fate on the PS3 (there was some cross-over with the RoF characters), and man I was surprised by how much I liked it. I avoided this because of all the lackluster reviews it got but always had a mild interest in trying it one day, and I was glad when I finally did.

I don't know what region TC is in, or if he has a PS4 too. If he has a PS4, try the remastered Odin Sphere there, unless you have a PS3, you can play it for cheap as a PS2 classic. However, the North American version of that game has severe framerate issues that were ironed for the other regional releases but still persist in the North American digital copy of the PS2 classic, so if you're in a PAL region you're going to have a better performing version that can still be had cheap.

Also, I noticed TC never said he played Mass Effect, if so, please don't pass on this, the series is great. The first game might be a harder pill to swallow given it's a bit dated, but I'd play through just to experience the story, and don't slack on it either, you can carry over key decisions to the following games, which I feel really excel in presentation, the combat, simplified JRPG mechanics but a great story and the ability to shape the course of the story that'll impact future games. Each time a game in this series released I played through each several times over, they were that good. This trilogy can now be had cheap on the PS3 and provide you great value and entertainment.