PS3 online connection help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

grndyfn19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#1 grndyfn19
Member since 2006 • 81 Posts

Hey guys, I just got a PS3 (60gb backwards compatible model if it matters). I use online from a wireless router, but there seems to be certain problems that prevent me from playing online sometimes. For example, in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, I can connect online and play games when someone challenges me, but every time I challenge someone it tries to connect and then says "the game session is no longer available". In Tony Hawk's Proving Ground, the online just flat out doesn't connect every time I try to join a game. In Mortal Kombat II (downloaded from the PSN), it works if I host a game, but if I try to join one it gets disconnected. Yet, in Call of Duty Classic, the online works perfectly for the most part.

What can I do to fix this? I have a Linksys wireless router and have a Mac, and I've had problems like this in the past with other systems. I had a guy come over about a year and a half ago from a computer store who got my online to work on my Wii, but then it didn't work on my DS. I think he was changing the connection speed, and then eventually he found a good compromise so that both the DS and Wii worked. However, I later found out that the DS had similar problems to what my PS3 is doing now, where I can connect online but in some instances it won't work (for example, in Pokemon: HeartGold, I can connect to the GTS, but if I try to connect to someone with their friend code then an error screen pops up). This is really frustrating, so if you guys have any suggestions please help. Also, let me know if any settings like Port Range Forwarding, Port Triggering, DMZ, etc needs to be used, because these are things in my Linksys setup screen that I have no idea what they do or how to correctly activate them.

dagreat11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 dagreat11
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
go to network settings and disable media servers it work for me when i had the same problem
grndyfn19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 grndyfn19

That didn't seem to really do anything. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Strychtic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Strychtic
Member since 2010 • 157 Posts
I use a wired connection but I've heard people say to change the ps3 NAT type to 2.
grndyfn19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 grndyfn19

What's that?

Strychtic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Strychtic
Member since 2010 • 157 Posts

What's that?

grndyfn19
I don't know, I figured some knowledgable ps3 user would have helped by now. Sorry.
Lemonbits629

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lemonbits629
Member since 2008 • 173 Posts

Nat type is when you are using wireless it just tells you if it is NAT type 2, which is open, and NAT type 3 which is what i have where you have a limited connection so some games can give you trouble connecting to other people. You can find out which of thes you have go to Network Settings and check the bottom of the status list. Type 1 is a direct connection