PS3: Justified even more by Microsoft's decision

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crazygunz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 crazygunz
Member since 2003 • 252 Posts

I like it when a company like Microsoft decides to release ANOTHER version of its console that is basically meant to directly compete with what a console that I own (PS3) already offered to me straight from the beginning.

This decision not only justifies Sony's business model, but it also makes it pretty clear that Microsoft doesn't expect the HD format wars to end in favor of HD-DVD. Otherwise they would have included an HD-DVD player built into the Elite since they would still have two versions (unbelievable) of their console that didn't offer the hardware, thus giving the consumer a fair choice.

I was happy with my purchase back in November and now I'm even happier because it essentially means that I picked the right technology for myself without having to buy different updated versions of my console.

I'm waiting for a troll to come by and ask me what games I'm going to play on my PS3 since apparently it doesn't have any, but my response to that is: What game were you playing if you bought a launch 360? Perfect Dark? Project Gotham Racing 3? Well I have Resistance, Motorstorm and others to keep me busy. I'll have plenty of great games to play within the next few months.

I feel bad for early 360 adopters though because in my opinion Microsoft kind of took a dump on them. If I had bought a 360 a year ago I'd be angry because I would most likely want to upgrade to the version that is essentially the best/finished version of my console. I wouldn't be happy guys. I wouldn't be happy at all.

bindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 bindip
Member since 2005 • 2585 Posts
System wars is your friend .......... Why talk about the 360 in the PS3 thread ???? please keep this is system wars thanks.
Mark2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Mark2099
Member since 2006 • 1008 Posts

People just don't understand how good this decision is. All 3 models offer choice.

Core appeals to poor people and parents who just want their children to play games, nothing more. Premium gives you the essential experience. Now Elite will appeal to gaming enthusists that download content off of LIVE like crazy.

Why invest in a HD DVD player? Just download HD movies and TV off of LIVE. Digital distribution is becoming more popular everyday. There is Apple TV among other companies who do it to. Even if Bluray is better then HD DVD, it will be beaten by HD downloading in the near future.  

****The Elite includes HD cables, HDMI cables, and a wireless headset.**** These add to the value. Both PS3's do not have these features out of the box.

Don't mean to troll, but I felt that I had to respond to this. Sony is basically saying that they are an exclusive club. Microsoft's club is "all ages".

No offense. Peace.    

TheTrueEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheTrueEdge
Member since 2006 • 1019 Posts

There are flaws in you're opinion. You state that X360 owners are required to purchase multiple versions of their console. This is not the case. The only thing you can't do with the Premium is 1080p through HDMI. You can do 1080p through VGA, even though it doesn't look as good as HDMI, I really doubt someone could tell the difference unless you have it side by side. Regardless, that is the only thing the Elite can do over the X360. Current owners are not required at all to upgrade. And to be honest, when you want to upgrade just for HDMI, you obviously own a great 1080p HDTV and if you own one, you have allot of money I think. I wouldn't be able to afford a HDTV that does 1080p anyway, so the Elite is of no use to me.

Premium and Core models still play every single game and are still 100% compatible with service and online features. Upgrading to an Elite is a choice you might have, but it is no where near required. Another point is that the Premium version (the best version for most people since most people don't have an 1080p HDTV anyway) is still retailing for 399 dollars. That price hasn't changed. So the price difference is still the same as it was before. Although I understand what you are saying, you should realize you are not required to upgrade and for most people there is no reason to get the Elite.

But yes, I'm still playing PGR3 by the way, it's kickin' with the wireless racing wheel. Very awesome. 

darbyshireandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 darbyshireandy
Member since 2004 • 659 Posts
well said. I dont blame ms for wanting to offer people more,i own a 360 and a ps3 they both do a good job but my ps3 is like an elite im a bit gutted i got an xbox all i needed was a ps3:(
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 eclipsed4utoo
Member since 2006 • 10578 Posts

I feel bad for early 360 adopters though because in my opinion Microsoft kind of took a dump on them. If I had bought a 360 a year ago I'd be angry because I would most likely want to upgrade to the version that is essentially the best/finished version of my console. I wouldn't be happy guys. I wouldn't be happy at all.

crazygunz
As an Xbox 360 owner since January 2006, I am very angry. I bought my core 360 and upgraded it with the HDD and HD cables so that I would have the best 360 available(no difference between mine and the Premium). now, after a year, my 360 is no longer the best available 360. AFTER A YEAR!!! It's just stupid.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 eclipsed4utoo

People just don't understand how good this decision is. All 3 models offer choice.

Core appeals to poor people and parents who just want their children to play games, nothing more. Premium gives you the essential experience. Now Elite will appeal to gaming enthusists that download content off of LIVE like crazy.

Why invest in a HD DVD player? Just download HD movies and TV off of LIVE. Digital distribution is becoming more popular everyday. There is Apple TV among other companies who do it to. Even if Bluray is better then HD DVD, it will be beaten by HD downloading in the near future.

****The Elite includes HD cables, HDMI cables, and a wireless headset.**** These add to the value. Both PS3's do not have these features out of the box.

Don't mean to troll, but I felt that I had to respond to this. Sony is basically saying that they are an exclusive club. Microsoft's club is "all ages".

No offense. Peace.

Mark2099
720p downloads are not the same as native 1080p
ghaleon0721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ghaleon0721
Member since 2003 • 338 Posts
The 360 Elite completely justifies Sony's strategy. It's a horrible move by Microsoft. They have been pointing the finger at Sony because the PS3 was $600. I think the release of the "elite" just means that they are admitting that they were wrong. What's even more sad is the fact that this "elite" console is probably going to sell like absolute crap. I can't see a whole lot of current 360 owners going out and dropping another $479 on a console to play games that they already have. Even if they have HDTV's, there is no way that an HDMI picture is worth the extra cake. At the same time I think people who don't have a 360 or a PS3 will also shy away from the "elite" package. Why would you pay that much for a 360 when the PS3 is only $120 more ($20 if you get the 20GB version). And oh yeah, its got free online, WiFi, and Next-gen movie playaback. An elite 360 matched feature for feature would run you $830. People just getting into this generation of console gaming will probably choose either go for the cheapest console or the most powerful, best value console. That means that the elite is stuck somewhere in the middle and will be utterly useless.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 eclipsed4utoo

There are flaws in you're opinion. You state that X360 owners are required to purchase multiple versions of their console. This is not the case. The only thing you can't do with the Premium is 1080p through HDMI. You can do 1080p through VGA, even though it doesn't look as good as HDMI, I really doubt someone could tell the difference unless you have it side by side. Regardless, that is the only thing the Elite can do over the X360. Current owners are not required at all to upgrade. And to be honest, when you want to upgrade just for HDMI, you obviously own a great 1080p HDTV and if you own one, you have allot of money I think. I wouldn't be able to afford a HDTV that does 1080p anyway, so the Elite is of no use to me.

Premium and Core models still play every single game and are still 100% compatible with service and online features. Upgrading to an Elite is a choice you might have, but it is no where near required. Another point is that the Premium version (the best version for most people since most people don't have an 1080p HDTV anyway) is still retailing for 399 dollars. That price hasn't changed. So the price difference is still the same as it was before. Although I understand what you are saying, you should realize you are not required to upgrade and for most people there is no reason to get the Elite.

But yes, I'm still playing PGR3 by the way, it's kickin' with the wireless racing wheel. Very awesome.

TheTrueEdge
saying that somebody who has an HDTV has alot of money is just stupid. I bought my HDTV on a Best Buy credit card and it took me a year to pay it off. just because I have an HDTV doesn't necessarily mean that I have $480 to drop on ANOTHER 360.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 magus-21
Member since 2006 • 2868 Posts
[QUOTE="Mark2099"]

Core appeals to poor people and parents who just want their children to play games, nothing more. Premium gives you the essential experience. Now Elite will appeal to gaming enthusists that download content off of LIVE like crazy.

Why invest in a HD DVD player? Just download HD movies and TV off of LIVE. Digital distribution is becoming more popular everyday. There is Apple TV among other companies who do it to. Even if Bluray is better then HD DVD, it will be beaten by HD downloading in the near future.

****The Elite includes HD cables, HDMI cables, and a wireless headset.**** These add to the value. Both PS3's do not have these features out of the box.

Don't mean to troll, but I felt that I had to respond to this. Sony is basically saying that they are an exclusive club. Microsoft's club is "all ages".

No offense. Peace.

eclipsed4utoo

No they're not, but they're close enough that people will wonder why they have to shell out $200 just for 1080p. And they're pulled from the same uncompressed source master anyway. It's still unbelievable to me that Sony didn't include an HDMI cable.
BadSmerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 BadSmerf
Member since 2006 • 301 Posts

Just download HD movies and TV off of LIVE. Digital distribution is becoming more popular everyday. There is Apple TV among other companies who do it to.

Mark2099
Yeah, download huge HD movies off of LIVE. Not saying it wont happen (because it probably will *golfclap*), but the size of the movies is going to be huge. I know 120GB is a lot, but it wont take long to fill it up with HD movies.
MERC_RECONN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 MERC_RECONN
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts
Yep!!! And for anybody who tries to debate your post is not in tune with reality or their just plan silly!!!

I like it when a company like Microsoft decides to release ANOTHER version of its console that is basically meant to directly compete with what a console that I own (PS3) already offered to me straight from the beginning.

This decision not only justifies Sony's business model, but it also makes it pretty clear that Microsoft doesn't expect the HD format wars to end in favor of HD-DVD. Otherwise they would have included an HD-DVD player built into the Elite since they would still have two versions (unbelievable) of their console that didn't offer the hardware, thus giving the consumer a fair choice.

I was happy with my purchase back in November and now I'm even happier because it essentially means that I picked the right technology for myself without having to buy different updated versions of my console.

I'm waiting for a troll to come by and ask me what games I'm going to play on my PS3 since apparently it doesn't have any, but my response to that is: What game were you playing if you bought a launch 360? Perfect Dark? Project Gotham Racing 3? Well I have Resistance, Motorstorm and others to keep me busy. I'll have plenty of great games to play within the next few months.

crazygunz
silentmobius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 silentmobius
Member since 2003 • 1034 Posts

The problem is, that the only thing Microsoft is offering is HDMI and a larger hard drive.

For $20 more you can have HDMI, Wi-fi, Blu-ray drive, free online gaming and an upgradeable NON-PROPRIETARY hard driveout of the box.
If you can't see that that is a much better deal, you're just a jaded MS fanboy.

crazygunz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 crazygunz
Member since 2003 • 252 Posts

System wars is your friend .......... Why talk about the 360 in the PS3 thread ???? please keep this is system wars thanks.bindip

If you don't see how this topic relates to the PS3 then you have a problem. It's simply an argument for the sake of debate. I didn't know that debate wasn't allowed in public forums anymore. If you don't agree with my post intelligently explain why. Otherwise don't post at all.

spliffchillum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 spliffchillum
Member since 2006 • 738 Posts
[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Mark2099"]

No offense. Peace.

magus-21

No they're not, but they're close enough, and they're pulled from the same uncompressed source master anyway. It's still unbelievable to me that Sony didn't include an HDMI cable.

Does it really matter? Some places offer FREE hdmi cables.. and I've seen them as cheap as 20 bucks.. It's really nice knowing I have 2 cables coming out of the back of my Ps3.. Power+HDMI, vs 4+
bindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bindip

[QUOTE="bindip"]System wars is your friend .......... Why talk about the 360 in the PS3 thread ???? please keep this is system wars thanks.crazygunz

If you don't see how this topic relates to the PS3 then you have a problem. It's simply an argument for the sake of debate. I didn't know that debate wasn't allowed in public forums anymore. If you don't agree with my post intelligently explain why. Otherwise don't post at all.

Im not saying i dont agree with your post. Im just saying why even talk about the PS3 in the PS3 THREAD ????? if you want a debate about ps3 and the 360 or other console system wars is the place to be. If you need remind of the rules please read the IMPORTANT before POSTING IN THE PS3 THREAD

eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 eclipsed4utoo

The problem is, that the only thing Microsoft is offering is HDMI and a larger hard drive.

For $20 more you can have HDMI, Wi-fi, Blu-ray drive, free online gaming and an upgradeable NON-PROPRIETARY hard driveout of the box.
If you can't see that that is a much better deal, you're just a jaded MS fanboy.

silentmobius
the 20GB PS3 doesn't include wifi.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 magus-21

silentmobius
Heh, not entirely. The 20GB PS3 does NOT have WiFi, and you're still stuck with a 20GB hard drive unless you shell out the dough for a bigger one. And BluRay is not important, not when MS is adding hundreds of hours of new HD movie content, both new releases and older catalog releases, to its service. Not to mention the Elite comes with a HDMI cable out of the box. It's still inconceivable that Sony didn't include one. And free online multiplayer is NOT that important. 90% of all gamers don't even play multiplayer online, and the vast majority of XBL users are Silver account users.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 eclipsed4utoo
[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Mark2099"]

No offense. Peace.

magus-21

No they're not, but they're close enough that people will wonder why they have to shell out $200 just for 1080p. And they're pulled from the same uncompressed source master anyway. It's still unbelievable to me that Sony didn't include an HDMI cable.

the only problem is, you don't own the movies that you download. You are only renting them.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts

Im not saying i dont agree with your post. Im just saying why even talk about the PS3 in the PS3 THREAD ????? if you want a debate about ps3 and the 360 or other console system wars is the place to be. If you need remind of the rules please read the IMPORTANT before POSTING IN THE PS3 THREAD

bindip

The thread is about PS3 price justification in today's console gaming market. 

magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 magus-21
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Mark2099"]

No offense. Peace.

eclipsed4utoo

the only problem is, you don't own the movies that you download. You are only renting them.

That's why people are only paying $5 to get them. You can rent the same movie six times for the price of the same movie on BluRay. It's perfect for one-shot rentals, which are the most common anyway. Not to mention you own the TV shows you download. And these TV shows aren't available on HD disc yet.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 eclipsed4utoo
[QUOTE="silentmobius"]

magus-21
Heh, not entirely. The 20GB PS3 does NOT have WiFi, and you're still stuck with a 20GB hard drive unless you shell out the dough for a bigger one. And BluRay is not important, not when MS is adding hundreds of hours of new HD movie content, both new releases and older catalog releases, to its service. Not to mention the Elite comes with a HDMI cable out of the box. It's still inconceivable that Sony didn't include one. And free online multiplayer is NOT that important. 90% of all gamers don't even play multiplayer online, and the vast majority of XBL users are Silver account users.

hold the phone....Microsoft isn't releasing that many movies in HD. I looked down the list and only about 10% of the movies available have an HD version. with HDMI cables being cheap, it's not that big of a deal that the PS3 didn't come with one. everybody has gotten over that. and now for the final point, Microsoft's BIGGEST SELLING POINT IS ONLINE MULTIPLAYER. and you are going to sit here and say that it's not that important? the PS3 gets knocked everytime it has a game that doesn't support online. you, sir, have a very limited understanding of the gaming industry.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 eclipsed4utoo
[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Mark2099"]

No offense. Peace.

magus-21

That's why people are only paying $5 to get them. You can rent the same movie six times for the price of the same movie on BluRay. It's perfect for one-shot rentals, which are the most common anyway. And you own the TV shows you download. And these TV shows aren't available on HD disc yet.

you do know that you can get blu-ray movies off Amazon for $20. What's the purpose of renting a movie 4 times? why not just buy it? people want to buy movies. even with Netflix's huge market, DVD sales are still through the roof. what does this tell us? Even though there are viable solutions for renting, people still want to have the actual media in their hands. and you have to remember, less than half of the US has broadband internet. and even less in other countries. that's not going to change for years. people are going to be buying discs because they don't have the bandwidth to download a 5GB file.
FEARowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 FEARowns
Member since 2005 • 753 Posts

I'm waiting for a troll to come by and ask me what games I'm going to play on my PS3 since apparently it doesn't have any, but my response to that is: What game were you playing if you bought a launch 360? Perfect Dark? Project Gotham Racing 3? Well I have Resistance, Motorstorm and others to keep me busy. I'll have plenty of great games to play within the next few months.

crazygunz

Uh...yeah. That's an enitirely objective opinion...please do a little more research before you say things like that. You basically sound like a little kid "Mine's better than yours!"...actually most people on this whole forum are like that. Anyway, I assure you people playing the xbox360 aren't limited to launch titles since it launced over a year ago. Gears keeps them busy. 360 is a fine system. It's definitley geared more towards gaming in general with a smaller focus on media entertainment (even though the marketplace sells stuff...its pricey and you have to use points). But, PS3 is more of an all-around system giving people looking more for media capabilities (blu-ray) a nice toy to have to do the blu-ray trick and maybe if they want a game or two they got a system to play it. Microsoft is actually very smart in not including an HD-DVD player in the Elite. Why? Because they recognize the fact that blu-ray is dominating their field. It would be dumb to put in technology that may in fact die out in a year or so. I think that's pretty business-smart on their part. Sony and Microsoft are no slouches in the business world...I wouldn't run around making claims like that. Please just go to system wars and throw your whiny opinions in around there with everyone else.  

magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 magus-21
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="silentmobius"]

eclipsed4utoo

hold the phone....Microsoft isn't releasing that many movies in HD. I looked down the list and only about 10% of the movies available have an HD version. with HDMI cables being cheap, it's not that big of a deal that the PS3 didn't come with one. everybody has gotten over that. and now for the final point, Microsoft's BIGGEST SELLING POINT IS ONLINE MULTIPLAYER. and you are going to sit here and say that it's not that important? the PS3 gets knocked everytime it has a game that doesn't support online. you, sir, have a very limited understanding of the gaming industry.

1) The number of HD movies will grow as companies re-encode their old movies, like what Paramount recently did with Braveheart and some of their older movies. New movies, like the Departed, will be available in HD. And anyway, the big HD source for Microsoft is CBS, not any of the movie studios; all of CBS's big TV shows are available in HD. 2) For the layman, HDMI is expensive. You and I know that Monoprice has them for under $20, but the layman isn't going to Monoprice; he's going to Best Buy or Circuit City where they sell them for $100-200. It's not a big deal for console vets, but for the majority, it's still an important statement that Microsoft included an HDMI cable. Hell, even on this forum there are people buying $150 Monster HDMI cables, just because that's what they've always been told was available. 3) No, wrong. Microsoft's biggest selling point is online COMMUNITY, not online multiplayer. Get it straight. Online multiplayer was never the only priority for Xbox Live except in its earliest stages when multiplayer was the only feature available. In the last couple of years, even before the 360 came out, it became much more important to be connected with friends than to play competitively with them. Remember, only 3 million users bought into XBL during the original Xbox's lifetime, and even with the 360, only another 3 million use Xbox Live for a total of six million XBL users, and not all of them are Gold subscribers.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 eclipsed4utoo
[QUOTE="crazygunz"]

I'm waiting for a troll to come by and ask me what games I'm going to play on my PS3 since apparently it doesn't have any, but my response to that is: What game were you playing if you bought a launch 360? Perfect Dark? Project Gotham Racing 3? Well I have Resistance, Motorstorm and others to keep me busy. I'll have plenty of great games to play within the next few months.

FEARowns

Uh...yeah. That's an enitirely objective opinion...please do a little more research before you say things like that. You basically sound like a little kid "Mine's better than yours!"...actually most people on this whole forum are like that. Anyway, I assure you people playing the xbox360 aren't limited to launch titles since it launced over a year ago. Gears keeps them busy. 360 is a fine system. It's definitley geared more towards gaming in general with a smaller focus on media entertainment (even though the marketplace sells stuff...its pricey and you have to use points). But, PS3 is more of an all-around system giving people looking more for media capabilities (blu-ray) a nice toy to have to do the blu-ray trick and maybe if they want a game or two they got a system to play it. Microsoft is actually very smart in not including an HD-DVD player in the Elite. Why? Because they recognize the fact that blu-ray is dominating their field. It would be dumb to put in technology that may in fact die out in a year or so. I think that's pretty business-smart on their part. Sony and Microsoft are no slouches in the business world...I wouldn't run around making claims like that. Please just go to system wars and throw your whiny opinions in around there with everyone else.

maybe you should learn how to read before replying. he said, "what games did you have to play WHEN THE 360 LAUNCHED". I didn't know Gears was a launch title for the 360.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 magus-21
you do know that you can get blu-ray movies off Amazon for $20.eclipsed4utoo
My point is they're still $20-30. And again, that's online. Majority of movie sales are made in brick-and-mortar stores where they are full priced.
What's the purpose of renting a movie 4 times? why not just buy it?eclipsed4utoo
People WON'T buy. They'll rent. That's why the movie rental business exists. Most movies aren't watched more than once or twice, even those that are purchased. Renting has always been a much more practical solution than purchase, and when faced with the decision of buying a $400 console with $5 downloads or a $600 console and BluRay player with $30 discs, the practicality of the rental model becomes very apparent to the average consumer.
people want to buy movies. even with Netflix's huge market, DVD sales are still through the roof. what does this tell us? Even though there are viable solutions for renting, people still want to have the actual media in their hands.eclipsed4utoo
That's DVD, not BluRay. DVD is a unique case because it exploded so quickly (five times more quickly than BluRay is growing, to be precise), and many DVDs were under $20, even at launch. With VHS, people preferred to rent rather than buy, and with BluRay prices not dipping below $20 yet, rental is more feasible than purchase, especially when there aren't that many "BluRay killer apps" yet other than Casino Royale.
and you have to remember, less than half of the US has broadband internet. and even less in other countries. that's not going to change for years. people are going to be buying discs because they don't have the bandwidth to download a 5GB file.eclipsed4utoo
That doesn't matter. What matters is the percentage of Xbox users that have broadband internet, and the percentage that CAN get broadband internet. I'm not saying XBL Video (or its future PS3 equivalent) will replace discs. I'm saying that for people in the market for a video game console, XBL Video provides a much cheaper alternative for HD movies than the PS3's BluRay without sacrificing much in terms of quality.
FEARowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 FEARowns
Member since 2005 • 753 Posts
[QUOTE="FEARowns"][QUOTE="crazygunz"]

eclipsed4utoo

maybe you should learn how to read before replying. he said, "what games did you have to play WHEN THE 360 LAUNCHED". I didn't know Gears was a launch title for the 360.

touche...point taken. Ok. Fair enough. Still, the argument was not valid.  

bindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bindip
[QUOTE="bindip"]

emitsu97

PS3 thread rules and this one states:

"This is the PlayStation 3 board. Meaning, you use this board to discuss the PlayStation 3 and its games. This is not the "Xbox 360 sucks" board, nor is it the "PlayStation 3 owns Xbox 360" board. So stop posting about the 360, even if you're using it to try to explain why "the PS3 will be better." Those kinds of posts belong in one place-- System Wars."

read the rules thanks

eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 eclipsed4utoo
[QUOTE="magus-21"]
people want to buy movies. even with Netflix's huge market, DVD sales are still through the roof. what does this tell us? Even though there are viable solutions for renting, people still want to have the actual media in their hands.eclipsed4utoo
That's DVD, not BluRay. DVD is a unique case because it exploded so quickly (five times more quickly than BluRay is growing, to be precise), and many DVDs were under $20, even at launch. With VHS, people preferred to rent rather than buy, and with BluRay prices not dipping below $20 yet, rental is more feasible than purchase, especially when there aren't that many "BluRay killer apps" yet other than Casino Royale.
and you have to remember, less than half of the US has broadband internet. and even less in other countries. that's not going to change for years. people are going to be buying discs because they don't have the bandwidth to download a 5GB file.eclipsed4utoo
That doesn't matter. What matters is the percentage of Xbox users that have broadband internet, and the percentage that CAN get broadband internet. I'm not saying XBL Video (or its future PS3 equivalent) will replace discs. I'm saying that for people in the market for a video game console, XBL Video provides a much cheaper alternative for HD movies than the PS3's BluRay without sacrificing much in terms of quality.

1. umm...it took DVD three years to catch on. It was released in 1997(in the US), it didn't get a million sales in a year until 2000. how is that catching on faster than blu-ray? Casino Royale just hit the 100,000 sold mark. that's a tenth of the million sales with only one movie. blu-ray sales are blooming. that is a fact. 2. we will see.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 eclipsed4utoo
[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="FEARowns"][QUOTE="crazygunz"]

FEARowns

I think it is valid. The 360 didn't have great games at launch. The PS3 didn't have great games at launch. you can't compare games of a 4 month old console against a 1 year and 4 month old console.
cloudstrife75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 cloudstrife75
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts
[QUOTE="TheTrueEdge"]

eclipsed4utoo

saying that somebody who has an HDTV has alot of money is just stupid. I bought my HDTV on a Best Buy credit card and it took me a year to pay it off. just because I have an HDTV doesn't necessarily mean that I have $480 to drop on ANOTHER 360.

Good point man. Not a lot of ppl have an extra 2000$ lying around for an HDTV. Payments is the way most of us regular people go. 

cloudstrife75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 cloudstrife75
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts
This is turning into system wars...
bindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bindip

This is turning into system wars...cloudstrife75

looks at my 1st post..........i new this would happen people need to read the rules how ever good the topic may be 

magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 magus-21
[QUOTE="FEARowns"][QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="FEARowns"][QUOTE="crazygunz"]

eclipsed4utoo

I think it is valid. The 360 didn't have great games at launch. The PS3 didn't have great games at launch. you can't compare games of a 4 month old console against a 1 year and 4 month old console.

The consumer will, because that's the choice he has in front of him. (But that's another argument.)
slyydevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 slyydevil
Member since 2004 • 494 Posts

No offense. Peace.

Mark2099

Core for poor people? How judgemental can you be? What if someone got stuck with 20GB simply because they didn't have anymore Premiums? That consumer overall got d*cked and it's no way to slice it. The last time I checked, poor folks do alot better than you think my friend because the know how to bargain shop and get the most for their money so don't sh*t on poor folks. In fact poor folks spend more consumer dollars than the rich because they scared it's gonna leave them overnight and that is a fact. Sometimes too many choices can be a bad thing and that's why this country is in the state that it's in now but anyway digital distribution will not overtake the disk medium for qite some time if not ever, at most I say 50/50. When the internet got hot everyone thought that was the end of malls yet they somehow still exist and will in the future. I'm seeing too many excuses to justify this "elite" as a good thing when it's nothing more than a new paint job and my grandma always told me that you can paint sh*t whatever color you choose and put it in a shiny new box but in the end it's still sh*t...

magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 magus-21
[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="magus-21"]

1. umm...it took DVD three years to catch on. It was released in 1997(in the US), it didn't get a million sales in a year until 2000. how is that catching on faster than blu-ray? Casino Royale just hit the 100,000 sold mark. that's a tenth of the million sales with only one movie. blu-ray sales are blooming. that is a fact. 2. we will see.

DVD had 900 titles available in its first year. How many does BluRay have? 200? Also, over 2 million DVDs were sold in its first year, out of 5 million shipped; I don't know why you think it took three years for a million DVDs to be sold. Maybe you're thinking of million-selling DVDs, i.e. individual titles selling a million copies, and even Casino Royale is FAR from reaching that particular milestone. Even if it DOES reach that milestone, it's an aberration, an exception to the rule. Have total BluRay sales even reached a million yet?
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts

[QUOTE="cloudstrife75"]This is turning into system wars...bindip

looks at my 1st post..........i new this would happen people need to read the rules how ever good the topic may be

Report it.  I honestly don't see anything atrocious in here but since you feel so strongly about it have at the moderation button.  You would have gone out of your mind a couple months ago.

bindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bindip
[QUOTE="bindip"]

[QUOTE="cloudstrife75"]This is turning into system wars...emitsu97

Report it. I honestly don't see anything atrocious in here but since you feel so strongly about it have at the moderation button. You would have gone out of your mind a couple months ago.

nah i cba to mod any once since this guy has a fair point but just look at it now its system wars all over...... 

OldFart1968

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 OldFart1968
Member since 2005 • 331 Posts
And BluRay is not important, not when MS is adding hundreds of hours of new HD movie content, both new releases and older catalog releases, to its service. Not to mention the Elite comes with a HDMI cable out of the box. It's still inconceivable that Sony didn't include one.magus-21

Blu-Ray is *very* important. I own both a Premium 360 and a 60GB PS3. I bought the PS3 principally for its blu-ray drive (and for linux support on a work related project). Comparing 720p downloads to 1080p blu-ray content doesn't cut it. Blu-ray wins, both for visual quality (it's excellent) and the large variety of new audio codec support. I'm not impressed by this new 'elite' system. I'll be keeping my old 20GB 360 and am glad I bought it with a $100 rebate ($299).

In comparison to the PS3, MS has missed the pricing and features mark with this release. They screwed up. That said, the 360 is a great gaming machine with lots of fun titles. I'll be keeping both systems, thank you.

hcho3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hcho3
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts

silentmobius

PS3 20GB version doesn't have wi-fi.

b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts
I would rather a company better a console. Why build a game machine and NEVER change it for 5-6 years? When the DS Lite was announced, I didn't cry because I had a phat brick of a DS. I thought how awesome it was and rushed out and bought it. I personally don't think a bigger hdd and HDMI are that big a deal. So, I won't be upgrading my 360. The only reason I'd want a bigger hdd is for downloading the rentable HD movies. I'm not spending $180 just so I can rent movies. It's pretty sad if you need to justify your purchase of a PS3 based on what MS is doing. I bought a PS3 and have never felt like I needed any justification based on what other console makers were doing.
washimul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 washimul
Member since 2006 • 841 Posts
[QUOTE="silentmobius"]

eclipsed4utoo

the 20GB PS3 doesn't include wifi.

the 20gig version comprises of a next gen BLUE RAY drive which costs more than the elite as a whole.

a 120gig HDD costs just 40$ to make.

the BD drive costs atleast 500$ to make.

OldFart1968

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 OldFart1968
Why build a game machine and NEVER change it for 5-6 years?b11051973
Because developers like platform consistency. Particularly consistent I/O performance from the CPU to RAM, from the CPU to the GPU, and from both the optical and disk subsystems. Change this stuff after release and you run the risk of releasing games that run poorly on a subset of the market. It's not the best choice from a technology perspective, but from a gaming consumer perspective it's to your benefit.
OldFart1968

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 OldFart1968
The BD drive costs atleast 500$ to make.washimul
Uhhhh. According to this Inquirer article, BD-ROM drive manufacturing cost is more like ~+$100/unit. http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=25901
ghaleon0721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ghaleon0721
Member since 2003 • 338 Posts
[QUOTE="emitsu97"][QUOTE="bindip"]

bindip

PS3 thread rules and this one states:

"This is the PlayStation 3 board. Meaning, you use this board to discuss the PlayStation 3 and its games. This is not the "Xbox 360 sucks" board, nor is it the "PlayStation 3 owns Xbox 360" board. So stop posting about the 360, even if you're using it to try to explain why "the PS3 will be better." Those kinds of posts belong in one place-- System Wars."

read the rules thanks

Apple polisher
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 magus-21
[QUOTE="b11051973"]Why build a game machine and NEVER change it for 5-6 years?OldFart1968
Because developers like platform consistency. Particularly consistent I/O performance from the CPU to RAM, from the CPU to the GPU, and from both the optical and disk subsystems. Change this stuff after release and you run the risk of releasing games that run poorly on a subset of the market. It's not the best choice from a technology perspective, but from a gaming consumer perspective it's to your benefit.

You're talking about design consistency, b11051973 is talking about features consistency. Design consistency remains: all 360 developers are developing with the assumption that there will be NO hard drive (because of the Core). Microsoft is changing the superficial features that have no effect on developers. Hell, the 360 is probably more developer-consistent than the PS3, despite this SKU change.