PS3 external HD won't work

This topic is locked from further discussion.

swatpup102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 swatpup102
Member since 2003 • 289 Posts
I ahve an external USB drive that my ps3 isn't seeing. I formated it in FAT32 and put the VIDEO, MUSIC, and PICTURE folders on it but the PS3 doesn't seem to pull it up. This is my second ps3 as I traded my first and and the first one saw the drive fine. Anythink I am doing wrong while reformatting this drive?
Crazy87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Crazy87
Member since 2005 • 2900 Posts

I ahve an external USB drive that my ps3 isn't seeing. I formated it in FAT32 and put the VIDEO, MUSIC, and PICTURE folders on it but the PS3 doesn't seem to pull it up. This is my second ps3 as I traded my first and and the first one saw the drive fine. Anythink I am doing wrong while reformatting this drive?swatpup102

did you hit triangle and hit display all? 

swatpup102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 swatpup102
Yeah it is acting like it doesn't even see the hard drive, no message or anything coming up saying it's their and no listing under any of the video music or photo icons.
swatpup102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 swatpup102
I also read that a ps3 could see IPOD's if they were plugged in. Could there be an issue with it recognizing usb drives with physical hard drives inside them? that would seem odd but only trend I can see.
doolies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 doolies
Member since 2003 • 3984 Posts
The PS3 won't read drives that have been partitioned. So if your external HDD is partitioned that would be the issue.
swatpup102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 swatpup102
Even if they are partitioned to fat 32? It's a drive that I used fat32partition program and made it one 80 gig partition for fat32. The ps3 doesn't seem to see that it's even there.
doolies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 doolies
Member since 2003 • 3984 Posts
If the drive is an 80GB drive and you formatted it to 80GB (or whatever was the GB). As long as it is *one* drive and not split up to 2x40GB or 4x20GB etc etc.
swatpup102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 swatpup102
Thats what I though but for some reason it won't even recognize the drive. It doesn't come up as anything but also doesn't say unknown device. Does the same thing for an IPOD, but see's a USB flash drive.
piano_pimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 piano_pimp
Member since 2005 • 759 Posts

The PS3 won't read drives that have been partitioned. So if your external HDD is partitioned that would be the issue.doolies

my ps3 reads my fat32 partition fine, no problems at all, so it's the problems probably something else

swatpup102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 swatpup102
See it's weird, it will read a usb flash drive, detect my digital camera, and detect my mouse and anything else usb, even if to say unkown device. for some reson my 80 gig external drive doesn't come up and when I plugged in my ipod nothing popped up either. I can't seem to figure out why it can't see these spinning disk devices. Anyone else ever have similar issues?
MorisUkunRasik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MorisUkunRasik
Member since 2006 • 1511 Posts
i use my ipod as a portable HDD and it reads all my files
swatpup102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 swatpup102
I think i had an issue with mine being a HDD that powers off the USB bus. My cable cas two usb end on it, one for extra power if plugged into a laptop and one for the main power/data if plugged into a desktop. I had to plug in the power cable first to get it to spin up, then plug in the main data cable so it could see the drive. Seems obvious but it just hit me to try it and it worked!
XL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 XL83
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts
Hmm... I just tested this out, and it's not recognizing mine either. It recognizes my flash drive, and if its mp4, in a "VIDEO" or "MUSIC" folder, it will play it, but it won't recognize my 400 GB external Seagate NTFS right now under the same circumstances. Needlessly complicated. I really hope they make some significant changes to the XMB's functionality soon. I like the layout, I liked it more on PSP, but it's really not the most user friendly interface you could ask for. In this day and age, everything should be plug and play. Gonna test it on a 250 GB Maxtor FAT32 and see if there's any difference.
swatpup102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 swatpup102

Hmm... I just tested this out, and it's not recognizing mine either. It recognizes my flash drive, and if its mp4, in a "VIDEO" or "MUSIC" folder, it will play it, but it won't recognize my 400 GB external Seagate NTFS right now under the same circumstances. Needlessly complicated. I really hope they make some significant changes to the XMB's functionality soon. I like the layout, I liked it more on PSP, but it's really not the most user friendly interface you could ask for. In this day and age, everything should be plug and play. Gonna test it on a 250 GB Maxtor FAT32 and see if there's any difference. XL83

When you are testing it, see if you can power on the drive first. If it has an external power supply turn on the drive first before you plug in usb, if you have an all usb drive, see if it has an extra cable to power up before the data becomes live. this is the only way my PS3 can see my drive. Makes sense, but seems like if a computer can do it without the drive being powered up frist why can't the ps3??

XL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 XL83
250 GB Maxtor FAT32 is a go. I would say its NTFS' fault, but you are using FAT32, so I have no idea. Why doesn't the XMB recognize mp3s, avis, mpgs, why does it need to be in a folder called VIDEO? It has 4 different card readers but can't figure out when a USB drive is plugged in? Meh. They need a better OS, or they need to ramp this one up a fair bit.
XL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 XL83

[QUOTE="XL83"]Hmm... I just tested this out, and it's not recognizing mine either. It recognizes my flash drive, and if its mp4, in a "VIDEO" or "MUSIC" folder, it will play it, but it won't recognize my 400 GB external Seagate NTFS right now under the same circumstances. Needlessly complicated. I really hope they make some significant changes to the XMB's functionality soon. I like the layout, I liked it more on PSP, but it's really not the most user friendly interface you could ask for. In this day and age, everything should be plug and play. Gonna test it on a 250 GB Maxtor FAT32 and see if there's any difference. swatpup102

When you are testing it, see if you can power on the drive first. If it has an external power supply turn on the drive first before you plug in usb, if you have an all usb drive, see if it has an extra cable to power up before the data becomes live. this is the only way my PS3 can see my drive. Makes sense, but seems like if a computer can do it without the drive being powered up frist why can't the ps3??

All three of mine are in cases that need an external power supply. I have an 80 GB Seagate, a 250 GB Maxtor and a 400 GB Seagate. My PS3 is literally 6 inches away from my PC tower, I'm just switching the USB cords back and forth, and what works on my PC isn't necessarily what works on my PS3. Only the FAT32 drive has worked so far. Oh, the flash drive is working fine too. Off topic, but it's one of those awesome Kingston DT Mini Fun ones that fit together like Lego. Great for not losing the cap, and they're so cheap now.

popin-shopin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 popin-shopin
Member since 2005 • 26 Posts

I use to be able to play movies off my portable hard drive all the time but now it wont show up at all in the menu. a normal flash drive will though.

I think a recent update must have screwed it up.

rayjapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rayjapan
Member since 2006 • 231 Posts

250 GB Maxtor FAT32 is a go. I would say its NTFS' fault, but you are using FAT32, so I have no idea. Why doesn't the XMB recognize mp3s, avis, mpgs, why does it need to be in a folder called VIDEO? It has 4 different card readers but can't figure out when a USB drive is plugged in? Meh. They need a better OS, or they need to ramp this one up a fair bit. XL83

I don't think that's a fair comment. That directory structure was created to make it easy for it to find files (find, index, generate thumbnails,etc.) It's Sony's way of allowing the PS3 to find data on a camera, etc. easier. If a 250 GB hard disk is plugged in and the PS3 is suppose to support any directory structure, then imagine how long it would take to search it all. Think of how long it takes to use the file search feature in Windows XP/Vista.

So yes, they could do that...but there is a cost(search time) which you seem to be forgetting.

What I would like to see is for them to create a utility that makes creating such a directory structure [on, say, a Windows machine] easier for novices.

ferretlord2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ferretlord2177
Member since 2009 • 65 Posts

im done with sony's bullsh*t. they'll eventually phase out all usb devices when the war between them and jailbreaking devices rages on and im done with the false promises, removal of essential features later down the road and having to jump through hoops because my usb thumb drive needs to be altered to backup saves that a few months later could be for nothing. i'd hate to do this but im now looking into a 360... sure i'll have to deal with failiure rates and 60 a yearsubs but at least microsoft looks like thay dont take features away and openly support usb devices. i'll still buy uncharted 2 goty and the rdr undead nightmare dlc "already got red dead on ps3" but this will be my last buisness with sony.

J-WOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 J-WOW
Member since 2010 • 3105 Posts
My ps3 reads both my USB memory stiqs, and my external harddrive 8)