Playstation's Failure for backwards compatability

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Drackul8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Drackul8888
Member since 2015 • 18 Posts

Read this post at http://innercirclegaming.com/playstationnow/ and it made me wonder if PlayStation is slow to move on their backwards compatibility. With Microsoft launching their backwards compatibility, what your thoughts based on the posting at Inner Circle Gaming?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It's not a failure if it was never promised, and this is now close to 100 topics on this dupe topic.

Also, I am not clicking on that no-name source.

I will just reuse my last post from a thread right below this thread from six days ago regarding why BC is not coming:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/playstation-nation-1000002/backwards-compatibility-on-ps4-32728701/#16

@SolidTy said:

It's not going to happen, ever.

Sony has already stated that multiple times (including again recently last week), and people have already asked and it's been answered many times.

Plus PS3 BC is technically it's not possible. It is possible to get PS2/PS1 BC, but I don't see the point.

The PS3 Cell was a beast and more powerful than the Xbone or PS4, so emulating the Cell is a train-wreck.

To be honest, as I've said 100x times, I think BC is nice, but I don't buy new machines to play my older games. I don't want to wear and tear my new machines for last gen games.

I have Wii U, Wii, PS2, Atari, Sega, PS3, and other BC machines and the BC novelty was nice but ultimately I buy new machines to play new games, to experience a new generation.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

How can you POSSIBLY not know that it is never going to happen EVER?? It's common knowledge and Sony has been broadcasting it since day one and as SolidTY said they said it quite recently.

It was NEVER promised.

It would be a monumental task running Cell architecture on x86, the two are soooo different it would be beyond the hardware in the PS4 even if the software existed.

It competes with PS Now which cost them a fortune something like $350mill or whatever it was and is only just becoming viable. They aren't to toss that out the window without a fight.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I would have liked if Sony had made a version of the PlayStation 4 that included backwards compatibility. A version of PS4 that could play PS4 games in addition to PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Blu-Ray Roms, DVD ROMS and CD-ROMS all types of PlayStation game discs as well as PlayStation portable UMD's and PSvita game SD cards.

However the chance of Sony creating an Elite PlayStation 4 with total backwards compatibility is 0. No Chance in hell. I would pay $650.00 for an Elite PS4 console with total B/C with all PlayStation disc's and SD card media. But Sony will never make a console like this.

Since Sony want's to resell you PS,PS2,PS3 games via PlayStation now and the occasional PS3 remasters as they did with PS2 remasters last time around.

People seem O.K with this so Sony will not make PS4 backwards compatibility. Since PS4 cannot even play PS1 games. So I am glad I have held onto my PlayStation consoles and games. I still have all of them.

Sony has given up on B/.C forever... So slice up now or learn to cope!

dino7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dino7c
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

Xbone has what 30 real 360 games working...that is hardly BC if you ask me

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

I think we can kill all the BC talk. It will never ever happen. Sony wants you to purchase new gen games or possibly purchase overpriced digital classic games in the future. It is what it is.

Solution? Keep your last gen ps3 right next to your ps4. The systems are pretty small too. If you dont have a ps3, you can get them for dirt cheap nowadays.

Drackul8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Drackul8888
Member since 2015 • 18 Posts

@SolidTy: Dude, go easy on this noob. Nothing wrong with finding and sharing a well thought out article that is relevant to us. Especially with the upcoming launch of Microsoft's BC. Besides, did you actually check the site and see who is posting?? Some dude who was an exec at PlayStation... so to me he has plenty of street cred.

Either way, I agree with you and others that PS is no doubt looking to maximize profit. So it would be in their best interest if PlayStation Now succeeded.

Cheers

TRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TRPG
Member since 2015 • 271 Posts

Youre right, its a bother I cant appear to stand

conquerorsaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9  Edited By conquerorsaint
Member since 2003 • 1338 Posts

I too would like BC on PS4. It helped me transition to PS3 back in the day when I got the BC compatible bundle. Unfortunately Sony makes too much money on remasters so they arent likely to help us play all our games on a current gen system.

I don't see them having mass appeal with PSNow until faster connections are made available to their markets.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

I would rather HD remasters than backwards compatibility. The reason: 1. HD 2. 60FPS.

tiny_rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 tiny_rick
Member since 2015 • 284 Posts

Is it just me who really doesnt care about backwards compatibility? I still have my ps3, so if I want to play ps3 on the off chance I can still play my games. Even with xbox, I would rather play it on my 360 than download it to my one when every Xbone game requires an install. I need my space

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

@tiny_rick:

Since I have a slim ps2, slim ps3 and super slim ps3, I really dont care about BC anymore. I also have like 50 ps3 digital games so i would always need the ps3 console right next to the ps4.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

i couldn't care less about b/c....