Playing shooters in a post-COD4 World

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sandjar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sandjar
Member since 2005 • 291 Posts

Ok. I know COD4's popularity is not going to die down any time soon, and the Variety Pack will only add to its popularity but I wonder how we will ever enjoy any other FPS's in the future. I sat to play Resistance the other day, and I love Resistance, but how many f^&*ing times do you need to shoot a guy to make him die? And these episodes when you circle and shoot at each other for the longest time before one of the two dies... seems so unnatural.

I can't compare to any other PS3 shooters. Not a big fan of Warhawks' 3rd person shooter element either, just takes to long to kill someone. But here's the question? Do you think we will ever be able to enjoy other FPS titles as much as COD4, unless it really delivers the same quality of gameplay, customization, replay value etc. For me at least, it seems all I need to satisfy my FPS needs from now on is just new maps for COD4, and that doesn't do future FPS's any good (Haze, Killzone 2 or even MGS4).

sandjar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 sandjar
Anyone?
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
as long as it has half decent servers (unlike COD's crap p2p) it'll be much easier to play when comparing to cod.
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
I'm not a big fan of online multi-player (I prefer local multi-player, it makes things more personal. The only exception is online co-op) and COD4's single-player campaign left me feeling a little cold. If Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 deliver the single-player goods (which they will judging from the previous games) I will undoubtedly enjoy them more than I did COD4.
Judonwanit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Judonwanit
Member since 2005 • 1246 Posts
im sorry but COD4 has been catching dust for about 2 weeks now. While ive been playing warhawk alot more, expecially since the update. I think more people are on warhawk online...correct me if im wrong
whodeysay85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 whodeysay85
Member since 2006 • 3237 Posts
im sorry but COD4 has been catching dust for about 2 weeks now. While ive been playing warhawk alot more, expecially since the update. I think more people are on warhawk online...correct me if im wrongJudonwanit
since the newest booster pack there have been tons of people online. And Resistance 2 will be the next great thing. I'm sure they will add in a little CoD4 elements to the game.
river_rat3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 river_rat3117
Member since 2003 • 3474 Posts
it wont be a FPS shooter, but trust me, socom will blow it away, for me at least, i dont even need to play the game yet, its socom it cant go wrong
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts
If it wasn't for COD4 I would have never got into mp. It will be hard to top but it can't be number 1 forever and I am looking forward to something new that can top it.
sandjar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sandjar

I'm not a big fan of online multi-player (I prefer local multi-player, it makes things more personal. The only exception is online co-op) and COD4's single-player campaign left me feeling a little cold. If Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 deliver the single-player goods (which they will judging from the previous games) I will undoubtedly enjoy them more than I did COD4.Silent-Hal

Really? You didn't like COD4 single player? Yes it was a little short but I think the story telling was EXCELLENT. Can't complain about the gameplay either.

creekfan_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 creekfan_basic
Member since 2002 • 2539 Posts
I can't get enough of COD4, even traded in Halo3 due to it....just passed 7 days of online play which for me is a ton
Rat-Bastard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Rat-Bastard
Member since 2003 • 34 Posts
I didn't finish the single player of COD4 but the multiplayer is certainly top-notch stuff. I've never been so entralled in a first person shooter before. Warhawk is a great game, but COD4 is much better in my opinion. I had a lot of fun playing Warhawk, they are two totally different breeds when it comes to online multiplayer. Warhawk maps are a much larger scale because you can take to the skies and it offers a whole new element in that respect. Also, with 16 vs 16 team matches, you lose that sense of "oh my god, the whole team is relying on me not dying" and you just have fun. What I think COD4 brings to the table is a good sense of pick up and play value that a lot of other online games lack. The fact that a few well placed shots will take anyone down makes it easy for new people to try out, as opposed to the games where its all run n' gun and jump around like idiots. I haven't played Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 yet but I know the first game was a little extreme. Basically anytime your head popped up from cover, you were dead. I had the hardest time with that game and it just wasn't fun. Game makers need to learn from COD4 and go with that. Aside from the gameplay mechanics, the leveling system was perfect. I can't express enough how much I enjoyed COD4.
signore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 signore
Member since 2007 • 2122 Posts

Ok. I know COD4's popularity is not going to die down any time soon, and the Variety Pack will only add to its popularity but I wonder how we will ever enjoy any other FPS's in the future. I sat to play Resistance the other day, and I love Resistance, but how many f^&*ing times do you need to shoot a guy to make him die? And these episodes when you circle and shoot at each other for the longest time before one of the two dies... seems so unnatural.

sandjar

hahah yeah i feel the same, I think Resistance was boring though. True, I only played the demo, but the gameplay seemed so much worse than COD4 that it would be charity for me to purchase or even rent it,, theres much better games out there IMO. Im not interested in R2 in the slightest, and Haze looks bland but I think K2 could be really great.

Josepiphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Josepiphus
Member since 2003 • 571 Posts

I understand what your saying. The first few times I played shooters after COD 4 I was flat out hating it. Now that I've had my fill of COD 4 though I find different gameplay refreshing. Of course I still play it from time to time but on the whole I'm a story based gamer and I know the story inside and out.

Just keep playing it until your eyes bleed and you'll see what I mean...lol

sandjar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sandjar
[QUOTE="sandjar"]

signore

hahah yeah i feel the same, I think Resistance was boring though. True, I only played the demo, but the gameplay seemed so much worse than COD4 that it would be charity for me to purchase or even rent it,, theres much better games out there IMO. Im not interested in R2 in the slightest, and Haze looks bland but I think K2 could be really great.

You're missing out if you haven't played the full Resistance. The story is very interesting, plus you can play coop. Definitely check it out. Love the music too.
signore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 signore
Member since 2007 • 2122 Posts
i thought the gameplay wasnt too fun, so if i want a good story ill read a book/watch a movie
joehan86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 joehan86
Member since 2005 • 310 Posts

its like COD4 was too good :lol:

Sony_Soilder78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sony_Soilder78
Member since 2008 • 135 Posts
I own both resistence and COD 4 and I must say I like resistence better
fhoeiuwhdousah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 fhoeiuwhdousah
Member since 2005 • 783 Posts

Not a big deal, COD4 is the new standard and thats cool by me its a great game but online fps still have more to offer....vehicles...futuristic guns...innovation.

Resistence has a great campaign which i fully recomend playing through at least 2wice seeing as the 2nd time you get about 20 different weapons which makes every battle up to you how to play it.. No way COD can offer that sort of fun in its campaign.

Online COD owns resistence.

henry4th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 henry4th
Member since 2003 • 1180 Posts
[QUOTE="sandjar"]

signore

I'm on the other hand played the entire Resistance and only played the PC demo of COD4. And let me tell you, that PC demo of COD4 is a lo worse than resistance's PS3 demo.

SO please, don't judge games on a pure demo.

I also hate the one/two kill death thing in COD4. It makes the game unplayable to new comers like me. ON the other hand, I love WarHawk. Even as a new comer, I don't die right away, so I can see what other poeple are doing.

Also, the sheer possibility of doing different things in Warhawk beats COD4. If you watch Youtube video, Warhawk has a lot more funny and smart and bigger moment than COD4 multiplayer videos. But the sad thing is, COD has a bigger brand name than warhawk.

odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts

COD4 is good and I'm glad it raised the envelope but its really just the beg of great shooters to come. There is still so much more that can be done to the series that cod4 doesn't do like bigger maps, more destructible environments, more rooms to enter per a map, more access to higher up places, you can include weather, more guns, more players per a game, different types of abilities like what cod4 offers with the perks but just more to choose from, a map maker mode, etc.

I like COD4 a lot but there are alot of times when I play it and I feel like there is just too much strategy going on and people just going after kills and not enough run and gun and people having fun.