Planning on buying a Playstation 3 Slim from Bestbuy

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

n0n0_no

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 n0n0_no
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Hi, im new to this forum and this is my first post and i have some questions before buying. Money is tight right now so every dollar i save is a extra dollar in my pocket to spend on other useful things and materials but i felt that i have held myself from buying a PS3 long enough so im going to force myself to get one real soon. I plan on buying a Playstation 3 Slim, then i thought about buying it from Bestbuy because they offer a 2 year geek squad protection plan for an additional $59.99. So i just wanted to ask, will it be worth it? will i actually need the 2 year geek squad protectionplan? To myself, i think the 2 year geek squad protection plan means that, if anything happens to the PS3 internally without your physically doing anything to it they will either help you fix it or they will replace it for you for free as long as you have the 2 year geek squad protection plan. Is that correct? if anyone can get into details about the 2 year geek squad protection plan it will be really helpful. Thanks
reubendarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 reubendarosa
Member since 2005 • 2727 Posts
I'm pretty sure it is for any condition, I may be wrong but I do know that once you use the protection plan, It's done. Enjoy your PS3 slim. I would strongly recommend Uncharted 2. It's been my fav PS3 game so far.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

Well you get a one year warranty out of the box

and the poster above me said that you can only use the protection plan once

So it's up to you if you want that extra year. It costs around $160 for Sony to fix the system, so you are basically risking $100

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

For the love of god. Stay far away from that "Geek Squad" BS. It's a scam made to take advantage of the "ill informed" to squeeze every last (unnecesarry) penny out of you. If anything happens, "Geek Squad" can't fix it any better or faster than what Sony can do (if at all).

But hey, it's your choice. "There's a sucker born every minute" they say..

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thelastguy

For the love of god. Stay far away from that "Geek Squad" BS. It's a scam made to take advantage of the "ill informed" to squeeze every last (unnecesarry) penny out of you. If anything happens, "Geek Squad" can't fix it any better or faster than what Sony can do (if at all).

Denji

Have you seen the adds for Geek Squad PS3 installations?

A $100 to plug in the cables and make a PSN account :|

Avatar image for deactivated-601cc8c28f97e
deactivated-601cc8c28f97e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-601cc8c28f97e
Member since 2005 • 679 Posts

You wont need a warranty tbh on these new ps3s. Theres a 30 day exchange or 14 I don't remember. If anything happens exchange it, if not then keep good care of it and treat it like a baby. Nothing should happen and it should last for years.

amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 amsfm6
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

I'd say read the fine print or ask an employee what it actually covers. But like the other guy said, you get one year from Sony, so you'd be getting an extra year for $60. Personally I'd use the money on a game, but I like to live dangerously.

n0n0_no

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 n0n0_no

So it's up to you if you want that extra year. It costs around $160 for Sony to fix the system, so you are basically risking $100

thelastguy
What do you mean 1 year warranty out of the box? 1 year warranty from Bestbuy or is it from Sony? and how am i risking $100?
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Denji

[QUOTE="Denji"]

thelastguy

Hell, if I wanted to take advantage of people. I would've started my own "Geek Squad" a long time ago LOL Even then, I would've charged far less than that.

n0n0_no

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 n0n0_no

[QUOTE="Denji"]

thelastguy

Don't the protecction plan cover the fees?
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thelastguy

[QUOTE="thelastguy"]

n0n0_no

What do you mean 1 year warranty out of the box? 1 year warranty from Bestbuy or is it from Sony? and how am i risking $100?

It is issued by the manufacturer (Sony)

You are risking the extra $100 if the system fails in the second year that you have it

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thelastguy

[QUOTE="thelastguy"]

[QUOTE="Denji"]

n0n0_no

The installations are something separate

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="thelastguy"]

n0n0_no

By saying 1 year warranty out of the box he means it is from Sony. If you got the 2 year Bestbuy deal, you would pretty much be paying $60 for 1 year because you already had the one year warranty from Sony.

West-Coast-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 West-Coast-G
Member since 2006 • 4414 Posts
BBY changed the way their extended warranties work. Before when they were called "Performance Service Plans", BBY would just exchanged your broken console for a brand new one, and they would give you the monetary difference in store credit (meaning, if you pay $600 and the current price was $400, then they give you a new PS3 and $200 in store credit). This was awesome and I found myself taking advantage of it way too many times (whenever a newer model was released or the price dropped, by system would "break"). Since then, BBY has now changed their extended warranties to "Black Tie Protection", and it doesn't work the same. From my understanding, BBY will not give you a new system when yours breaks. Instead, they will send it in to be fixed and cover the costs. You don't get a new system and ou don't get any money back. As far as actually buying the warranty, I would say no. The Slims are pretty solid in terms of build quality and temperature control. I wouldn't expected any problems within the first 2 years of purchase. If anything where to go wrong, it would be because the unit was defective in the first place and you would usually find out within the first year, which is covered by Sony for FREE.
SomeGuyInLA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SomeGuyInLA
Member since 2009 • 522 Posts
Walmart gives you a 3-year warranty for $30.
SomeGuyInLA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SomeGuyInLA
Member since 2009 • 522 Posts
Walmart gives you a 3-year warranty for $30.SomeGuyInLA
And I think it says that it doesn't start until your manufacture warranty ends, so you should be covered for 4 years. Here's the link: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5640649&findingMethod=rr
xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

[QUOTE="thelastguy"]

[QUOTE="Denji"]

n0n0_no

there are no fees to play ur ps3 online

and if ur ps3 breaks within a year sony will pay for shipping and repairs

honestly the chances of a ps3 breaking within 2 years is very low that is the purpose of the protection plans i worked for them protection plans are what my former manager calls pure profit

n0n0_no

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 n0n0_no
any other suggestions, questions, etc?
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Denji

Just buy it and don't fall for BS. Take care of your console and don't pay extra for something you won't even need. Because, (if by some chance it does shut down) you've got a year warrenty with Sony for free (shipping and all). They're quick with their replacement as well. Most of the failures (YLOD for example) were with the older 60 gig models.

TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts

ISnt there a better place to buy the ps3 as a bundle with extra games and what not?......Is that offered often?

n0n0_no

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 n0n0_no

ISnt there a better place to buy the ps3 as a bundle with extra games and what not?......Is that offered often?

TJSAGE
haven't heard of seen any bundle deals for the PS3 slim, but if there is please let me know
Thetaguru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Thetaguru
Member since 2006 • 1394 Posts

Don't waste your money on the Geek Squad protection.

fsurb28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fsurb28
Member since 2008 • 1329 Posts

if you're tight on money or looking for a good deal go to craigslist, last wednesday i got a slim with an extra red dual shock , grand theft auto 4, cod 4, all for 225, i felt bad because i knew it was a ripoff but ohwell, dont pay attention to most of those "extra services offers", its all to get you to believe its something you need. sorry for the long post

3rdbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 3rdbass
Member since 2009 • 3301 Posts

[QUOTE="SomeGuyInLA"]Walmart gives you a 3-year warranty for $30.SomeGuyInLA
And I think it says that it doesn't start until your manufacture warranty ends, so you should be covered for 4 years. Here's the link:

No it actually overlaps that first year from Sony but still cheaper than Best Buy which is a rip off. Target has a similar warranty for the same price $30 which I have. So if I do ever have an issue I'm good until Aug. 2011. Don't buy at Best Buy. Buy it Target/Walmart if you want the warranty or even better Amazon(no taxes most states) and buy a 3rd party warranty online. I believe they may be even cheaper than Target/Walmart since you are getting rid of the middle man.

Yannakos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#25 Yannakos
Member since 2008 • 585 Posts

I have had the PS2 before the PS3, and I am also poor so I got the 40GB Refurb from Gamestop. I have had no problems w/ mine so far, but the sad thing is I paid 349.99 for it refurbished... And their now going for 299.99 at 120GB... I hate my life.

rocket9434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rocket9434
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts

This thread helped me chose a warranty.

ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts
I dont know but i do know you said money is tight and if you wait til Black Friday if in U.S. then you get two awesome games for just 299.
Captain_SOAP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Captain_SOAP_
Member since 2009 • 542 Posts
i bought my ps3 from best buy and got the 2 year plan i returned it 1 time because my hdd **** up. the girl working there told me i can return it if anything happens to it :)
Tree06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Tree06
Member since 2006 • 3552 Posts

[QUOTE="Denji"]

thelastguy

Holy ****. I have not seen this. I'm pretty sure you can get a cheaper warranty @ K-Mart.
oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

it's your call, but

when i bought my slim, the sales offer me a 3 years warranty for $70 CAD (approximate $60 USD), but i didnt take it.

$70 3 years warranty for a $299 console sounds like a rip off...

i wouldnt pay 1/6 price of original product for 2 or 3 years warranty unless it covers 5 years or more, or you can use amex to its bill so it would cover extra one year for you.

feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

TC if you can do the black friday thing, Bestbuy has the ps3 with two games (Infamous/Batman AA, and the Dark Knight Blu ray movie). Cool deal if you can get it. :)

gallienb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gallienb
Member since 2004 • 196 Posts

Denji
This just shows that you know nothing about the Geek squad "black tie protection". First off its a PRP (Product Replacement plan) and not a PSP (Product service plan). Which means geeks squad doesn't even try and fix it you get a brand new system off the shelf to replace the old one. Which is better since you don't have to ship it to Sony and wait. On top of that Sony only fixes the 1 or 2 things wrong with it to get it working or gives you a referb of another ps3 they fixed. Which doesn't mean some other thing wont just break on it. Plus if the price of the system is to ever drop again in those 2 years you also get what you bought for it. Say if it drops another $50 and you go to replace it you get a $50 gift card for the difference. Also it is true that you can only use it once, but that doesn't mean you cant buy another PRP plan for another $60 to protect the new one. Better then paying $300 each time to replace your PS3. Just figured I would inform the misinformed out there.
jakarai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 jakarai
Member since 2008 • 4289 Posts
I got my PS3 from Wal-Mart and they offered a 2 year warranty(starts after 1 year warranty) for $17.
HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

just buy the system and a game instead of the warranty. If you take good care of it, nothing should happen it. Besides Sony covers the first year for your ps3.

Arctic_Grillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Arctic_Grillz
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
Just buy it from Walmart..above posters said its cheaper.
No_Love_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 No_Love_00
Member since 2009 • 77 Posts

Denji
Thats a lie. If your ps3 hits the crapper they will replace it in store same day. Better than sending it to sony and paying $160 isnt it? But hey, I guess if you can't spare the $60 then you can go with Sony's plan.
erglesmergle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 erglesmergle
Member since 2009 • 1769 Posts

IIRC it costs $50 for the extra protection plan from Best Buy. It gives you a 2 year warranty with them, and if anything happens to you PS3, just take it back and they give you a new one. It comes with a 1 year warranty from Sony.

So $50 to be able to get a brand new PS3 anytime you want. You decide if its worth it. But like others have said, stay away from the Geek Squad. They are a bunch of scammers. Watch the video and you will see. Best Buy is known for many more scams.

http://www.kptv.com/video/19513766/index.html

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#38 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

We would have to be under the assumption your PS3 is going to break for this to even be considered. It is very unlikely that it will break so i dont see the need for this.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

[QUOTE="Denji"]

thelastguy

LOL! WOW, are you SERIOUS?!

That is the most absolutely downright ABSURD thing I have heard all month.

erglesmergle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 erglesmergle

[QUOTE="thelastguy"]

[QUOTE="Denji"]

Scianix-Black

http://gizmodo.com/5363970/bend-over-best-buy-will-set-up-your-playstation-3-for-130

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts

Ok, first and foremost, I hope you check back into this thread after 16 days of creation. There are two ways you can go. You could get it at Best Buy now for $300, which also includes Ratchet and Clank: A Crack In Time (a new release) and Little Big Planet: Game of the Year Edition. Or you could instead get it from Walmart for $300, which includes Infamous, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and the blu ray movie: The Dark Knight. Now in both bundles, you are getting $120 worth of games for FREE! Definitely get one of those, especially since you're tight on cash. The warranty isn't really worth it, just because the PS3 is a pretty solid system and mine hasn't broken since I got it a year ago. I also still play my ps2 since I got it a year after it first came out. Sony's consoles are well built. However, the warranty is very nice, especially when you have a product that can easily break (like the 360). People just walk in with their broken console and are given a new one right away, it's nice. If you need the comfort of knowing that your console can be replaced if it's ever broken, then get it. I wouldn't though.

gallienb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gallienb

IIRC it costs $50 for the extra protection plan from Best Buy. It gives you a 2 year warranty with them, and if anything happens to you PS3, just take it back and they give you a new one. It comes with a 1 year warranty from Sony.

So $50 to be able to get a brand new PS3 anytime you want. You decide if its worth it. But like others have said, stay away from the Geek Squad. They are a bunch of scammers. Watch the video and you will see. Best Buy is known for many more scams.

erglesmergle
Geek squad is not known for scamming lol. I even watched that video and even said the first geek squad found the problem on there test pc and charged them nothing. I use to work for Geek squad and that's what I would have done. The other Geek squad I'm assuming have hired a bunch of morons lol. They couldn't figure out the problem so they fell back on what 60-70% of what the problems end up being. So they run a diag. to figure out if it has hardware issues and it also runs virus checks. It must have found hidden viruses the news report's "engineer" didn't find. The Diag. probably showed the hard drive not work since it wasn't plugged in. Not trying to defend the morons at that geek squad just saying most geek squads aren't like that. Also please tell me all the scams they do so i can debunk every one for you. I would say over 50% of the time I never charged anybody anything do to the fact I would fix there problem in 30min or less. If it took any long we had to charge for an hour or more of labor which was only 29.99. Most the quick diag. takes 15mins. and then the customer has the choice for us to fix it or take it home and fix it themselves. So anyways just figured again I would inform the misinformed :)
erglesmergle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 erglesmergle

[QUOTE="erglesmergle"]

gallienb

Geek squad is not known for scamming lol. I even watched that video and even said the first geek squad found the problem on there test pc and charged them nothing. I use to work for Geek squad and that's what I would have done. The other Geek squad I'm assuming have hired a bunch of morons lol. They couldn't figure out the problem so they fell back on what 60-70% of what the problems end up being. So they run a diag. to figure out if it has hardware issues and it also runs virus checks. It must have found hidden viruses the news report's "engineer" didn't find. The Diag. probably showed the hard drive not work since it wasn't plugged in. Not trying to defend the morons at that geek squad just saying most geek squads aren't like that. Also please tell me all the scams they do so i can debunk every one for you. I would say over 50% of the time I never charged anybody anything do to the fact I would fix there problem in 30min or less. If it took any long we had to charge for an hour or more of labor which was only 29.99. Most the quick diag. takes 15mins. and then the customer has the choice for us to fix it or take it home and fix it themselves. So anyways just figured again I would inform the misinformed :)

Do Geek Squad get payed on commission?

patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts

I have 4 PS3s, my brother in law john has 2, my other brother in law ben has has one, and my other brother in law dave has one and none have had any probs for years. So you get a 1 year warranty and I believe if there was something to go faulty it would within that first year. Spend that money on a game instead.

grand17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#45 grand17
Member since 2007 • 2079 Posts
i have a simple theory on warranty. if you buy warranty on everything, eventually youve paid more then it costs to replace the one thing that broke. DONT BUY IT
grand17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#46 grand17
Member since 2007 • 2079 Posts

Ok, first and foremost, I hope you check back into this thread after 16 days of creation. There are two ways you can go. You could get it at Best Buy now for $300, which also includes Ratchet and Clank: A Crack In Time (a new release) and Little Big Planet: Game of the Year Edition. Or you could instead get it from Walmart for $300, which includes Infamous, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and the blu ray movie: The Dark Knight. Now in both bundles, you are getting $120 worth of games for FREE! Definitely get one of those, especially since you're tight on cash. The warranty isn't really worth it, just because the PS3 is a pretty solid system and mine hasn't broken since I got it a year ago. I also still play my ps2 since I got it a year after it first came out. Sony's consoles are well built. However, the warranty is very nice, especially when you have a product that can easily break (like the 360). People just walk in with their broken console and are given a new one right away, it's nice. If you need the comfort of knowing that your console can be replaced if it's ever broken, then get it. I wouldn't though.

Ghost_702
there is no way that stuff is worth $120. infamous was on sale for $30, batman was originally 39, lbp:goty was $30 a couple weeks ago and i got the dark knight for $20 ages ago. its all about finding the sales
envybianchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 envybianchi
Member since 2004 • 1155 Posts

Hi, im new to this forum and this is my first post and i have some questions before buying. Money is tight right now so every dollar i save is a extra dollar in my pocket to spend on other useful things and materials but i felt that i have held myself from buying a PS3 long enough so im going to force myself to get one real soon. I plan on buying a Playstation 3 Slim, then i thought about buying it from Bestbuy because they offer a 2 year geek squad protection plan for an additional $59.99. So i just wanted to ask, will it be worth it? will i actually need the 2 year geek squad protectionplan? To myself, i think the 2 year geek squad protection plan means that, if anything happens to the PS3 internally without your physically doing anything to it they will either help you fix it or they will replace it for you for free as long as you have the 2 year geek squad protection plan. Is that correct? if anyone can get into details about the 2 year geek squad protection plan it will be really helpful. Thanksn0n0_no

Do NOT go with the 2 year geek squad protection plan because it is a gosh darn scam & spend that $60 on a game. The PS3 already comes with a one year warranty from Sony. So within that one year if anything happens, Sony will fix/replace it for free. The Slim is less likely to have problems since the hardware is updated & it runs cooler & quieter.

BTW, Walmart has a great bundle deal for the PS3 on Black Friday. The $299 bundle includes a PS3 Slim, 2 PS3 games (Infamous & Batman: Arkham Asylum) & a blu-ray movie ( The Dark Knight). Basically, you get 2 great games & one of the best blu-ray movies to experience for free!

Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts

[QUOTE="thelastguy"]

[QUOTE="Denji"]

Scianix-Black

Wow lmao. I can put your credit card information on your PS3 account for you. All I need is your credit card info, your e-mail address, password, and $250 cash :D.THIS IS A VERY REASONABLE DEAL!
gallienb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gallienb

[QUOTE="gallienb"][QUOTE="erglesmergle"]

erglesmergle

Do Geek Squad get payed on commission?

Geek Squad employees do not get paid on commission, and the employees that work the floor don't as well. Best Buy/Geek squad has always been non-commission.
ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
ya you best stay AWAY from geek squad.