PC gamer considering a PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FatalNeurotoxin
FatalNeurotoxin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 FatalNeurotoxin
Member since 2009 • 28 Posts

Hi, I'm a PC gamer, but the cost of keeping up with the cutting edge of computer hardware really takes a toll on my wallet, to remedy this, I thought I would buy a PS3.

I have a pretty high-end PC gaming machine, but it will soon start to show its age as soon as Moore's Law inevitably goes into effect, I personally cannot decide between buying the PS3 or not, and if I buy, which version should I buy? But overall, my biggest question is: should I buy a PS3? An 80GB version is about $400 on amazon.com, but I need to search around to find what is best.

If you read this and are thinking to yourself, "why doesn't the guy just buy an XBox360," here is my response: hardware and Xbox Live, paying a monthly subscription for something as simple as going online and fragging someone is quite a stretch there, furthermore the Xbox has more than its fair share of hardware problems...red ring of death.

What I really want to know is this: considering I have a high-end gaming PC, should I buy a PS3 and which one?

Avatar image for Javieralijandro
Javieralijandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Javieralijandro
Member since 2009 • 2667 Posts
I was a pc gamer as well, but i got over the pc exclusives. there is only so many times you can play tf2,l4D,crysis. I would recommend the ps3 if you want something new, i find it to be wayyy better then my pc.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
If you don't mind buying used games, a PS3 can be cheaper to own than a pc. If you have to buy everything new, it would be hard to own a PS3 for less due to the more expensive games and more expensive hardware and controllers.
360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

I'd say yes and as for which one unless your wanting to play PS2 games I'd go with the 80gig because Sony was nice enough to allow you to buy any 2.5" SATA drive and provides back up software to be able to transfer files to the new drive.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

I'd say yes and as for which one unless your wanting to play PS2 games I'd go with the 80gig because Sony was nice enough to allow you to buy any 2.5" SATA drive and provides back up software to be able to transfer files to the new drive.

360hammer
You can change the drive and backup the data on any PS3. If I were you tc, I'd wait until later this month to see if there's any big announcements about price drops.
idk761

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 idk761
Member since 2008 • 3229 Posts
I also went PC to PS3, best decision of my life
Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

Get the Killzone 2 & Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle.

Twig978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Twig978
Member since 2009 • 557 Posts
Is that bundle still even out there?
izmickey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 izmickey
Member since 2008 • 910 Posts

You got two options. Either you get the killzone 2 and MGS4 bundle or wait for a POSSIBLE price cut. You'll find out tomorrow of there will be such a thing. There are a lot more games for the ps3 than there is for the pc. Besides you can get games real cheap from ebay and newegg.com. So IMHO you should get the ps3, you wont regret it.

Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

Is that bundle still even out there?Twig978

It should, not 100% though.

izmickey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 izmickey

I went to best buy and they still had the bundle.

Avatar image for deactivated-59506133570df
deactivated-59506133570df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 deactivated-59506133570df
Member since 2007 • 10348 Posts

Get one, you won't regret it. I love my PS3, I have never, even once, thought "maybe I shouldn't have bought this".

buckugly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 buckugly
Member since 2005 • 780 Posts

I'd been primarily PC this gen until I got my PS3 (last x-mas), I find they compliment each other very well. Most of the good 360 games are ported to PC, or vice verse, and with the PS3 you get the exclusives! (Forgot to mention the un-playable PC ports, I'm looking at YOU GTA4)! But, then again, some games seem drawn to consoles, some to PC.

Sorry, probably should be on system wars, but my point is the PS3 compliments a fairly competent rig, and is IMHO the best mix. PLus I share my monitor for both.

bigmouthkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#14 bigmouthkid
Member since 2006 • 3425 Posts

Get one, you won't regret it. I love my PS3, I have never, even once, thought "maybe I shouldn't have bought this".

Cody13_2012

What this guy said.

kate_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kate_jones
Member since 2007 • 3221 Posts

no matter which way you look at it, playing the 360 just feels like playing an old pc, Ive been playing mass effect lately, and that game really struggles, textures loading mid conversation, frame rates chugging. Looks great in screen shots though, but i get this from a lot of xbox games, Maybe some people prefer it this way but on my pc I'd rather tone things down and have it running smooth.

The ps3 is a slick piece of hardware, it's solid, it's quiet and it has most the exclusives that you'll never see on a pc

buckugly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 buckugly
Member since 2005 • 780 Posts

^true dat! *i can't believe i just sad that*

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

It depends on whether or not you like Sony exclusive games and muliplats not on PC. Ratchet, Uncharted, God of War, Motorstorm, Resistance, etc.$400 is worth the price and if you can get that bundle, then it's even better. Obviously shooters are better on PC but the ones on PS3 are still cool. As long as your not a fanboy of PC and are all " X genre should only be on PC and this genre being on consoles is a waste" then you should be ok. Fighters are better played on PS3 due to better Dpad.

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
[QUOTE="Javieralijandro"]I was a pc gamer as well, but i got over the pc exclusives. there is only so many times you can play tf2,l4D,crysis. I would recommend the ps3 if you want something new, i find it to be wayyy better then my pc.

That's funny. Because I can't believe what you say and hold a straight face without laughing. Both are complimentary of each other. That said the PS3 is pretty much useful as a blu-ray player and maybe for 2 or 3 games. But other than that there aint much there. My honest opinion of course.
kingmanbrosky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kingmanbrosky
Member since 2009 • 268 Posts

the ps3 saved me cus my pc crashed and needed to do an online exam for my school, and the ps3 came to the recue cus it has its own browser and all that, so i took my test on my ps3:)

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I've been thinking about buying a gaming pc. The PS3 is cool and all but there isn't a whole lot of variety with the games. I'm playing fable on my PC right now because theres nothing like it on the PS3. I'm sick of running around shooting at stuff. But god of war is coming in the spring and so is dante's inferno. If you like shooters I'd say go for it theres no shortage of them. Also I'd say skip the 160 gig. But ifan extra $100 isnt much go for it.I have a 80 gig and it has more then enough space for all the games I need. And If I ever where to run out of space I'd just clean it up. I've had my 80 gig for 9 months and I still have 40 gigs left. I have about15 games or so installed and a bunch of stuff from the playstation store.

Avatar image for paperdollparade
paperdollparade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 paperdollparade
Member since 2007 • 1915 Posts

I would get the mgs4 bundle since it comes with 4 usb slots, CF SD and Pro card readers, and is BC. if that doesn't matter to you should wait a little longer to see if anything is announced about a price cut or new model/bundle.

360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

I've been thinking about buying a gaming pc. The PS3 is cool and all but there isn't a whole lot of variety with the games. I'm playing fable on my PC right now because theres nothing like it on the PS3. I'm sick of running around shooting at stuff. But god of war is coming in the spring and so is dante's inferno. If you like shooters I'd say go for it theres no shortage of them. Also I'd say skip the 160 gig. But ifan extra $100 isnt much go for it.I have a 80 gig and it has more then enough space for all the games I need. And If I ever where to run out of space I'd just clean it up. I've had my 80 gig for 9 months and I still have 40 gigs left. I have about15 games or so installed and a bunch of stuff from the playstation store.

jdc6305

I understand not alot of variety to suit your prefrences but honestly there is variety with the PS3 game library it's just not on peoples Radar and alot of people don't import or look at imports. Aquanaughts Holiday, Afrika, Yakuza Kenzan!, Yakuza 3, MLB The Show, LBP, Killzone 2, MGS4, GT, Demon's Souls, Katamari Tribute, Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3, Uncharted, and more. alot of different genres so there is variety to be had.

FatalNeurotoxin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FatalNeurotoxin

Thank you all for posting!

It seems that the PS3 might be worth looking into, but I think I'll wait for the price to fall down, or at least until November/October when some new games come out. The main reason I am considering switching to a PS3 is DRM, EA and Microsoft seem determined to prevent me from playing games which I want to play! God, they ruined Far Cry 2, Mass Effect, Red Alert 3, Crysis Warhead (I'll kill EA for that), Bioshock, and others. I am not buying a piece of software that can only be installed three times, that is just stupid, I payed full price for it and I should not have to worry about installing it. Plus some DRM software embed themselves into your operating system.

As for the PS3 library of games, well...it is still on the small side compared to the lineup of the 360 (but then again, 360 came out a year earlier). I'll wait until Assassin's Creed 2 comes out, maybe by then the price of the PS3 will be cheaper, and I will finally be able to play MGS4, Uncharted 2, and Infamous.

Is there a way you could use a mouse for FPS / Strategy games on the PS3?

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Some games support M&K, like Unreal Tournament III.

It really depends on developer, if they decide to support M&K in their games then all you have to do is connect one, pretty much all versions work like a charm - USB, Wireless, Blutooth.

I stopped PC gaming when PS3 arrived as well. Best decision I even made.

If you really want one - save up for it. It's worth every penny. ;)

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gamenerd15

How is it on the small side? They both have the same games except PS3 doesn't have the pc games. PS3 has quite a few games 360 doesn't. I don't see how the 360 has that much more in terms of right now.

bellolugosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bellolugosi
Member since 2005 • 448 Posts

Get the Killzone 2 & Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle.

Furi-Kun

THIS!!!

izmickey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 izmickey

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10311770-1.html?tag=TOCmoreStories.0

^THIS^

FatalNeurotoxin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FatalNeurotoxin

I already have the money to buy it, but it's not meant to replace my PC as my main gaming console (though it could be that way). One problem I have is that some developers don't take the time to learn the PS3s capabilities and end up producing technically inferior games to those on other consoles. The PS3 version of the Orange Box is a good example, and so is Fallout 3. What I do find depressing is that some great games on the Xbox/PC are not brought to the PS3 (Mass Effect 2 is a game that I really want to play), or are only ported a long time after the Xbox/PC versions (COD4), and attempts to bring RTS games to any consoles is usually met with mediocracy (Halo Wars was mediocre! It was only because there was nothing else on the Xbox the rivaled, that it was successful). Furthermore, I just cannot get used to the controls, after playing PC FPS games for so only the lack of percise aiming is harsh. (Yes, UE3 supports mouse/keyboard, but I already have that on the PC).

What I meant by the PS3 library being smaller was simply this...yes, the PS3 has some great exculsives at the moments (MGS4, Uncharted, Killzone 2, etc.), but the general library of good games is marginally larger on the Xbox360, but again, that's most likely only because it had a whole year as a head start and because it's version of DirectX is easier to program. Furthermore, if you compare the PS3 with the PC, there is no comparison...one great thing about the PC is that you can run programs from previous generations. Battlefield 2 + 2142, Fable, Command and Conquer, Total War, ect. It would help alot if Sony didn't stop producing PS3 that are backwards compatible. Truth be told, that is about the only thing that makes me hesitant to buy a PS3, I only have access to this generation. What if I felt the urge to suddenly play a game like Final Fantasy 12 that is only available on the PS2? I don't want to go out there to get an older console just so I can play older games. At least there is one version of the PS3 (or two, if you count the 20gb version), that is backwards compatible, the Xbox360 seems to have a harder time with the backwards compatibility (maybe it would help if the people Microsoft could accually design hardware...).

I own approximately 130 games all for the PC, most of them are not from this generation.

Considering I have 130 games (a lot of them are AAA titles)...I can't see myself playing more then a few select games on the PS3

Assassin's Creed 2

Red Faction:Guerilla (is that for PS3?)

Bioshock

COD: WAW (I already pre-ordered Modern Warfare 2 for the PC)

MGS4

Killzone 2 (maybe)

Infamous

If you don't agree with me about the PC/PS3 game comparison, just check all the gamespot reviews for the PC and then all of them for the PS3. There are approximately 175 games that have a score of 9.0 or higher on the PC and only 20 on the PS3 (and I've played some of them on the PC). :(

I do want to get a PS3, but now is a little too soon for me, I'll wait until there are more AAA titles available for the PS3...or until there is a price drop.

djmusdj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 djmusdj
Member since 2008 • 215 Posts

I already have the money to buy it, but it's not meant to replace my PC as my main gaming console (though it could be that way). One problem I have is that some developers don't take the time to learn the PS3s capabilities and end up producing technically inferior games to those on other consoles. The PS3 version of the Orange Box is a good example, and so is Fallout 3. What I do find depressing is that some great games on the Xbox/PC are not brought to the PS3 (Mass Effect 2 is a game that I really want to play), or are only ported a long time after the Xbox/PC versions (COD4), and attempts to bring RTS games to any consoles is usually met with mediocracy (Halo Wars was mediocre! It was only because there was nothing else on the Xbox the rivaled, that it was successful). Furthermore, I just cannot get used to the controls, after playing PC FPS games for so only the lack of percise aiming is harsh. (Yes, UE3 supports mouse/keyboard, but I already have that on the PC).

What I meant by the PS3 library being smaller was simply this...yes, the PS3 has some great exculsives at the moments (MGS4, Uncharted, Killzone 2, etc.), but the general library of good games is marginally larger on the Xbox360, but again, that's most likely only because it had a whole year as a head start and because it's version of DirectX is easier to program. Furthermore, if you compare the PS3 with the PC, there is no comparison...one great thing about the PC is that you can run programs from previous generations. Battlefield 2 + 2142, Fable, Command and Conquer, Total War, ect. It would help alot if Sony didn't stop producing PS3 that are backwards compatible. Truth be told, that is about the only thing that makes me hesitant to buy a PS3, I only have access to this generation. What if I felt the urge to suddenly play a game like Final Fantasy 12 that is only available on the PS2? I don't want to go out there to get an older console just so I can play older games. At least there is one version of the PS3 (or two, if you count the 20gb version), that is backwards compatible, the Xbox360 seems to have a harder time with the backwards compatibility (maybe it would help if the people Microsoft could accually design hardware...).

I own approximately 130 games all for the PC, most of them are not from this generation.

Considering I have 130 games (a lot of them are AAA titles)...I can't see myself playing more then a few select games on the PS3

Assassin's Creed 2

Red Faction:Guerilla (is that for PS3?)

Bioshock

COD: WAW (I already pre-ordered Modern Warfare 2 for the PC)

MGS4

Killzone 2 (maybe)

Infamous

If you don't agree with me about the PC/PS3 game comparison, just check all the gamespot reviews for the PC and then all of them for the PS3. There are approximately 175 games that have a score of 9.0 or higher on the PC and only 20 on the PS3 (and I've played some of them on the PC). :(

I do want to get a PS3, but now is a little too soon for me, I'll wait until there are more AAA titles available for the PS3...or until there is a price drop.

FatalNeurotoxin

"cough" there is a price cut cominggo to the news and youll be surprised..."cough"

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#30 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

PS3 is 2nd in power to PC, but the splitscreen andblu-ray player are well worth it.

Spoiledgenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#31 Spoiledgenius
Member since 2009 • 622 Posts

to keep up with PC is tough but PS3 not that much tough to keep up....before having PS3 i always used buy new hardware tough its was a gaming machine....PS3 is better..go ahead

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gamenerd15

The 360 hasn't released a great game yet this year that isn't a multiplat other than Star Ocean. You forgot quite a few other hit games like Ratchet, Resistance and Warhawk along with valkyria chronicles and motorstorm. If your going to limit yourself to 5 games go ahead. Just don't go around saying that the PS3 library is small. No it isn't huge but nobody's game library is.

YoJim8obaJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 YoJim8obaJoe
Member since 2008 • 2653 Posts

PS3 is worth getting as the exclusives unlike 360's so called exclusives are actually exclusive and not downtoned PC games.Not sure about model to get,i just got the cheap one as im poor :)

GeneralHawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 GeneralHawx
Member since 2009 • 1853 Posts

Hi, I'm a PC gamer, but the cost of keeping up with the cutting edge of computer hardware really takes a toll on my wallet, to remedy this, I thought I would buy a PS3.

I have a pretty high-end PC gaming machine, but it will soon start to show its age as soon as Moore's Law inevitably goes into effect, I personally cannot decide between buying the PS3 or not, and if I buy, which version should I buy? But overall, my biggest question is: should I buy a PS3? An 80GB version is about $400 on amazon.com, but I need to search around to find what is best.

If you read this and are thinking to yourself, "why doesn't the guy just buy an XBox360," here is my response: hardware and Xbox Live, paying a monthly subscription for something as simple as going online and fragging someone is quite a stretch there, furthermore the Xbox has more than its fair share of hardware problems...red ring of death.

What I really want to know is this: considering I have a high-end gaming PC, should I buy a PS3 and which one?

FatalNeurotoxin

Well if you are like my friend and has PS2 games and wants to play PS2 games on a PS3 try to find a New PS3 that is a 20 gb(this one has no WiFi), 60 gb, or the occaisional 80 gb if you don't mind then just buy whatever version as long it isn't the 40 gb this is the laser failure one rare but doe occur and don't buy a Slim it is new hardware you never know. they are currently $299 80 gb(no BC), and 160 gb (no BC comes with Uncharted and a acrcade game PAIN)

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#35 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Also, while PC has a crap ton of games, PC's can play games from over a decade ago, so it has an advantage, but if you plan to play PSone and PS2 games, I'd say its even more worth it.

*Note* Newer PS3's can't play PS2 games, so if you want to play games like MGS3 or Ico, I'd suggest you get to searching for a launch model.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I pretty much not playing my PCgames anymore, and I just blogged about it couple of weeks ago.... other than that it's just my opinion.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
TC, you do realise the PS3 will officially be going down to $300 tomorrow, right?