Oblivion melted my brain...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deadstar_666_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 deadstar_666_7
Member since 2008 • 37 Posts

Did any one else get Oblivion, play for about 2 hours, then have there head explode?

As a gamer who likes to experience every little bit of story on offer, I was completely overwhelmed by the hundreds of book exerpts, the gigantic world and the amount of randomness that had been stuck in it...
I can't play Oblivion 'cause it's just... too much

Anyone else get that feeling? Or am I like, a total freak :?

Avatar image for deactivated-60a18c108ffa9
deactivated-60a18c108ffa9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-60a18c108ffa9
Member since 2008 • 7541 Posts
No. It was a little overwhelming at the start, but once I got into it I was pretty much hooked. I suggest that you give it another go and just take things one at a time. That may help you to enjoy this truly magnificent gaming experience.
KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts

Focus on one thing at a time, trust me, lol. What I usually do is focus on is getting into the Mages Guild first, after that, The Thieves Guild, then the Dark Brotherhood, etc...

When you talk to people and get quests from them, just accept them and go back to them whenever you want. Theres no time limit on them. Just focus on one thing, and it'll become second nature to play it.

GUNpoint_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GUNpoint_
Member since 2008 • 1964 Posts
Oblivion is pretty huge, but believe it or not, Morrowind was even bigger. just play the game & enjoy it. do each guild quest one at a time. don't start a guild before finishing the other. you won't get as lost.
TaKtical_SniPa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TaKtical_SniPa
Member since 2008 • 129 Posts
Yeah I kinda felt the same way. I've had it since about release and I haven't beaten it once through. I should've concentrated one guild at a time, but when people talk to me I can't resist doing missions. I'm not going to give up completely though, I'll find time to beat it (maybe).
deadstar_666_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deadstar_666_7

I won't give up on it, think I just wasn't prepared for how much choice you actually get :P
Will definently give it another go after MGS4 is out and finished...

Avatar image for _Classic_Gamer_
_Classic_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 _Classic_Gamer_
Member since 2007 • 4776 Posts
I didn't enjoy Oblivion much at all. I much more preferred Morrowind.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

its pretty overwhelming i know, and it feels like theres so little time.

looking at all the other oblivion ps3 topics, in before lock. :D

Phoenix963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Phoenix963
Member since 2006 • 1006 Posts

I played for like... a week loved the scenary and the freedom, got considerably far. but then i ran out of lock picks.. and thats the last i remember of that game.. lol

I dunno you might be like me, i couldnt take it either and it was partially because of the load of crap thrown in ur face as the game starts, but also because i didnt like the story line much. and other small things that i came across was that the type of character i chose, he didnt regain anything.. not health magic or anything... maybe stmaina or whatever but eh that didnt help much, i dunno im more of a final fantasy guy :P

but hey u could still mess aorund in it and have some fun lol

hilltops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hilltops
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

i go into the first portal.."oblivion gate"
and just cannot get through keep getting attacked etc.
pretty lame :S

numbersss101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 numbersss101
Member since 2007 • 421 Posts
LOL, just played it for 4 hours anyway, no the only time my head explode is when I over level my char and the enemy is too strong for me until I need to restart from beginning or reload or turn down the diffuculty.
Wuflungdung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wuflungdung
Member since 2007 • 634 Posts
I like oblivion, but to me it feels sort of half done. I want a truly epic rpg for PS3, hopefully FF13 isnt as **** as FF10, just gotta wait and see.
Handsome-Dead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Handsome-Dead
Member since 2007 • 282 Posts
I didn't really feel at all overwhelmed, As previous replies have said, the key is to concentrate solely on one thing at a time. I think I too preferred Morrowind, but it would have been better if it had Oblivion's combat.
dmc_freak978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 dmc_freak978
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

It was a bit Overwhelming at first but then you just adapt to it, its very addicting and there are many things to do/explore!

jacksik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jacksik
Member since 2007 • 619 Posts
ITs probably one of the best games ever made IMO but seriously i played it for so long and still love it.
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

I had this game on the 360 and it was amazing. But then the disk scratched so a few days ago I got it for the ps3, though I am only 14 hours in.

its an amazing game, but now I know how to do well in it as before i leveled up to fast and was overwhelmed by the enemies and became poor. now I am at a lowlevel, but with great attributes and good armour.

small tip, try to keep at the lowest level possible for the main quest, othewise its very difficult. I know the better armour is found at higher levels, but as you go through the game you do find good armours that can e obtained at level one, even if your enemies dont start using it at level 15!

uespwiki is a good site for info on the game.

deadstar_666_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deadstar_666_7
Thanks for all the advice guys, i'll give it another go soon!
Avatar image for _Classic_Gamer_
_Classic_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 _Classic_Gamer_
Member since 2007 • 4776 Posts
Not to mention the lock picks are a *****. I don't mind them being more difficult than in Morrowind, but I could never get the hang of them, even the easy level ones. When you run out of lock picks so fast like I did, it defeats half the fun of the game.
dmc_freak978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 dmc_freak978
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
Not to mention the lock picks are a *****. I don't mind them being more difficult than in Morrowind, but I could never get the hang of them, even the easy level ones. When you run out of lock picks so fast like I did, it defeats half the fun of the game._Classic_Gamer_

There is a quest which you get a (Sekelton Key) when you finish. it boosts your lock picking skill and your lock pick Never breaks. Its pretty awesome once you get the hang of everything and complete most of the quests,
i own that mansion in Anvil and i store all rare armour and swords there!
cifru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cifru
Member since 2005 • 2211 Posts
I ordered it from Play.com...should arrive this week, i got the normal version no the GOTY edition. Hope it will be good ! :D
Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts
Owned :P?
Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts
I didn't like Oblivion though. Too mid-evil for me :P.
strayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 strayzilla
Member since 2004 • 560 Posts
First playthrough is always brutal. There's a ton of info shooting at you and the world is huge. I tried to make a tank and was very overwhelmed. I didn't level properly and had too many things on the go... just didn't work. I restarted with a mage so I wouldn't have to worry about repairing weapons and armor, or finding them. And it was just easier to learn the game.
gamers4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamers4ever
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
loool i understand you, i dont even have finished the game, when i try to do the main story...i find myself in a dungeon that i have found recently......it looks like a online rpg
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
i put a good 8 hours into it when i first got it, so i didn't get overwhelmed.
aaron5829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 aaron5829
Member since 2004 • 1539 Posts
i played endlessly... it feels a bit too much at first. But once you get familiarized with the environment and everything, you'll slowly immerse yourself in it. I completed Shivering Isle and Knights Of The Nine too. Put a good 100+ hours. Erm, definately more than 120+ hours. :P
ashish2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ashish2
Member since 2008 • 122 Posts
I will say that its a magnificent game. Its an legendry game in rpg genere.
anewperfectday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 anewperfectday
Member since 2006 • 782 Posts

It didn't stick to me very good even though I'm a fan of medieval..but I think I'll give it another shot once I get my HDTV.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#29 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
Oblivion brought me into next gen when I first got a 360. Damn its such a huge, vibrant game. Its top 5 all time for me. Ive played it at least 300 hours.
Princess_Jill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 Princess_Jill
Member since 2007 • 141 Posts
It's addictive :D Even though I never acxtually played it but I usewd to enjoy watching my brother playing it ^^
MasterKingMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MasterKingMP
Member since 2008 • 1740 Posts
Dude, Oblivion is overwhelming as **** I started 3 new games on it and each time I end up going crazy and quitting cus there is too much **** to do. I love the game though. I'll probably start a new game again and beat it sometime, unless a new one comes out before.
Handsome-Dead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Handsome-Dead
Member since 2007 • 282 Posts
I created a Bosmer with a stealth character class, and the only mistake I made was choosing Alteration as a primary skill, because my character was not strong enough in magic, so leveling that skill was difficult, but my archery, sneak, light armour and speechcraft skills were maxed.
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

[QUOTE="_Classic_Gamer_"]Not to mention the lock picks are a *****. I don't mind them being more difficult than in Morrowind, but I could never get the hang of them, even the easy level ones. When you run out of lock picks so fast like I did, it defeats half the fun of the game.dmc_freak978

There is a quest which you get a (Sekelton Key) when you finish. it boosts your lock picking skill and your lock pick Never breaks. Its pretty awesome once you get the hang of everything and complete most of the quests,
i own that mansion in Anvil and i store all rare armour and swords there!

thats cheating!

if you get thehang of it even the hardest lockpicks are easy. Each lock has a specific routing, easy ones will go slowly every 2 times, whilst harder ones less often.

also if the lock goes up slowly, then it means that it will stay up for a while. Just be ready to press A/X (ps3 or 360) and wait for it to go up slowly. its good to practise lockpicking as then you dont have to keep buying them.