My PS3 got the yellow light of death!

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

marco_polo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 marco_polo13
Member since 2004 • 219 Posts
So today when I got home from school, I tryed turning on my PS3 and for some reason when I pressed the power button a yellow light appeared and my PS3 turned off. I called Sony and they said they will charge me $150 to fix it. I think thats crap because I have always taken care of my PS3 and I dont think I deserve to pay that much. This really sucks because I wont be able to play the MGS4 Beta. Anybody know how I can fix this problem or is sending it in, and play $150 my only option?
SmoothBrother1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SmoothBrother1
Member since 2003 • 1078 Posts
lol yellow light of death? You must of thought you was really funny when you was typing that one huh.
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts
This is just an assumption but I'm thinking if Sony didn't tell you how to fix it over the phone then you might need to send it in. Sorry to hear about your problem though I would be pretty upset too.
marcandrer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 marcandrer
Member since 2005 • 264 Posts
can't you post a picture of that "famous" yellow light ? cause I don't think it's real.. sorry.
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

The yellow light I think is your Harddrive indicator. It sounds like your Harddrive might have died. It's pretty common in all systems, PCs, servers, consoles, notebooks, etc... Harddrives just die a lot because they are a mechanical device and they are fragile.

I'd try changing it out yourself. If you are out of the PS3 warranty take the Harddrive out and call the manufacturer. See if they have a warranty on the drive itself.

marco_polo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 marco_polo13

This isn't me but I got the same problem. Man im so mad!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmLlvRtpHrA

footfoe2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 footfoe2
Member since 2007 • 3014 Posts

Lol yeah, right. Besides its called the blue stripes of death, Damn ppl don't know any thing

Nice try but with out photo-shop you fail to fool any one

marco_polo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 marco_polo13

look at this video. Trust me its true, it happend to me today.

footfoe2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 footfoe2
Member since 2007 • 3014 Posts

This isn't me but I got the same problem. Man im so mad!!!

marco_polo13
Cool!! So this is the new epidemic facing the ps3. The Yellow flash of doom or YFOD or should it be yellow stripe of doom YSoD Or light YLoD HMM which? Maybe we should leave doom and say Hatred or Devastation
woofie13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 woofie13
Member since 2007 • 841 Posts

The yellow light I think is your Harddrive indicator. It sounds like your Harddrive might have died. It's pretty common in all systems, PCs, servers, consoles, notebooks, etc... Harddrives just die a lot because they are a mechanical device and they are fragile.

I'd try changing it out yourself. If you are out of the PS3 warranty take the Harddrive out and call the manufacturer. See if they have a warranty on the drive itself.

EmperorSupreme

yeah, I would try replacing the harddrive. HDDs in my pc die randomly every once in a while for no apparent reason.
I'm pretty sure the HDD's light the only yellow light on the PS3. unless this is a big scam. lol.
but hey, now you might have a chance to upgrade your HDD. they make 320GB now.
savinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 savinger
Member since 2007 • 1309 Posts
screenshot or it didnt happen
marco_polo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 marco_polo13
Nope, it't not the hard drive. I already took the hard drive off my PS3 and I still got the same problem. Its something inside the PS3, nothing I can fix, only Sony.
marco_polo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 marco_polo13
sorry I dont got a camara, just look at the video.
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

Nope, it't not the hard drive. I already took the hard drive off my PS3 and I still got the same problem. Its something inside the PS3, nothing I can fix, only Sony.marco_polo13

If you think only Sony can fix it then your kind've stuck paying them. It kind've stinks but it's just a chance we all take if you don't buy extended coverage. I never buy extended warranties and its only bit me once and that was with my original Ipod. Which back then costed like as much as a PS3 now. Kind've funny... The reason nobody believes you is because the PS3 is a super reliable console. I would still try a harddrive, I don't know if just taking it out will be enough to test it. Maybe invest in a bottle of canned air, unplug your PS3 and blow it out as well. Last check to make sure all your cables are super snug.

RahKayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 RahKayne
Member since 2003 • 3436 Posts
you have a 2.5 inch laptop hdd lying around?
jonnyt61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jonnyt61
Member since 2003 • 2147 Posts
-yawn- These are getting old ;/
RahKayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RahKayne
Member since 2003 • 3436 Posts

come on guys what if he really does have this problem?

DrewBlood08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DrewBlood08
Member since 2007 • 413 Posts

My one buddy's PS3 broke and it cost him $150 to fix. The disc drive burned out is what Sony told him. I can't recall if he mentioned anything about a yellow light though. I just want to go out and point that the PS3 is not invicible. The PS3 breaks and I believe you.

Side note here being if this was made up, the problem is are usually made to be much worse and widespread. This is one person asking for help...

btf504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 btf504
Member since 2005 • 255 Posts
I think people are being harsh for assuming he's lieing. Like the person right ahead of me said, the PS3 is not invincible. If I had a problem with my PS3 I wouldn't be able to post a picture because I don't have a digital camera, so I know I'd probably be getting the same treatment you are now. Hope it works out for you, but I don't really have any advice to give you.
envybianchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 envybianchi
Member since 2004 • 1155 Posts
Sorry to hear that Dude! I hope everything will work out for you! Good luck & god speed for your PS3.
Jalannom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jalannom
Member since 2003 • 315 Posts
I just ordered mine on amazon.. I hope mine doesnt do that.
marco_polo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 marco_polo13
What really gets me mad is that I have to pay $150 to get my PS3 fixed, even though I have taken care of it, cleaned it, had it where dust couldn't get it.... and still have to pay. Why Sony, Why!!! Trust me its true, if you dont beleive me. Go to YouTube.com and type in "PS3 yellow light" and you will see a few videos about the same problem I have.
copperheadfang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 copperheadfang
Member since 2004 • 411 Posts
I think it is the hard drive 150$ for a new one that sux man.
417alum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 417alum
Member since 2007 • 1468 Posts
sounds like a fluke sorry for u mayne
Nolan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 Nolan16
Member since 2006 • 4022 Posts
just buy a 40 dollar 2.5 inch Laptop HD drive you can get a 160 gig for 40 bucks and your problem is fixed plus you have more memory hell thats what i did just for more memory.
perfection1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 perfection1000
Member since 2006 • 1205 Posts

So today when I got home from school, I tryed turning on my PS3 and for some reason when I pressed the power button a yellow light appeared and my PS3 turned off. I called Sony and they said they will charge me $150 to fix it. I think thats crap because I have always taken care of my PS3 and I dont think I deserve to pay that much. This really sucks because I wont be able to play the MGS4 Beta. Anybody know how I can fix this problem or is sending it in, and play $150 my only option?marco_polo13
"yellow light of death"? = WTF??

Never heard of it and dude if its true, then sorry to hear.

marco_polo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 marco_polo13
I really dont think its the Hard Drive, because I already tried taking it off and turning on the PS3 without it, and it still did the same thing. Even if I got a new Hard Drive, how would I install it and stuff, if I can't even turn on my PS3.
zoidsj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 zoidsj
Member since 2007 • 2628 Posts
I would suggest to try the hard drive first but if thats not the case then i think your disk drive burned out
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
Send it Sony..
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts

come on guys what if he really does have this problem?

RahKayne

Then this is the wrong forum. People are still stuck on the >2% failure rates of the 20gb and 60gb PS3's to want to help someone who bought an 80gb or 40gb and is having these problems. Fact of the matter is, be it the yellow light of death...blu-ray disc read errors...or just plain old not turning on, the PS3 has its fair share of problems.

aaron6581230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 aaron6581230
Member since 2005 • 2133 Posts

I really dont think its the Hard Drive, because I already tried taking it off and turning on the PS3 without it, and it still did the same thing. Even if I got a new Hard Drive, how would I install it and stuff, if I can't even turn on my PS3.marco_polo13

How would the ps3 start without the OS thats on the harddrive? Just go buy a new 2.5 inch harddrive and see if it turns on. The yellow light is usually a signal that the HDD isn't connected properly or is malfunctioning

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

[QUOTE="marco_polo13"]So today when I got home from school, I tryed turning on my PS3 and for some reason when I pressed the power button a yellow light appeared and my PS3 turned off. I called Sony and they said they will charge me $150 to fix it. I think thats crap because I have always taken care of my PS3 and I dont think I deserve to pay that much. This really sucks because I wont be able to play the MGS4 Beta. Anybody know how I can fix this problem or is sending it in, and play $150 my only option?perfection1000

"yellow light of death"? = WTF??

Never heard of it and dude if its true, then sorry to hear.

it does exist

ModernTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ModernTimes
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts
If you want to get Sony to fix it for free call them at least 3 times a day about your problem. Whine about how crappy their porduct is and soon enough one of the reps will agree to fix it for free. Don't let them charge you 150$
tfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tfaa
Member since 2003 • 362 Posts

I'm not able to do it right now, but why doesn't someone else unplug their hdd just to see if we get this "yellow light of death"... Atleast it would get that theory of a bricked hdd out of the way.

Avatar image for deactivated-62b9a76fce1c1
deactivated-62b9a76fce1c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-62b9a76fce1c1
Member since 2006 • 710 Posts
When I turn on and off my ps3 really quickly with the switch on the back the light becomes yellow, but it changes back after half a second, then it's fine again.
thadude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 thadude85
Member since 2008 • 447 Posts

if you buy a car and it breaks down somewhere down the line does the car company repair it for free? no they dont, regardless of how well you have taken care of it. you cant expect them to fix it for free just because you think you have dont nothing wrong, that aint the way it works.

Author_1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 Author_1990
Member since 2004 • 1358 Posts
It's not enough to take out the HDD, you have to replace it. To spell it out for you, buy a new HDD that fits in your PS3 and put that in. The PS3 needs a harddrive to run, so try buying a new one.
MJ-DARK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MJ-DARK
Member since 2005 • 53 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my ps3 and I don't want to wast time sending it to Sony, has anybody been able to fix this problem without sending it to Sony??
Agent_305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Agent_305
Member since 2007 • 758 Posts

lol yellow light of death? You must of thought you was really funny when you was typing that one huh.SmoothBrother1

And you must have thought you where really clever when you was typing that one huh.

johnlennon28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 johnlennon28
Member since 2008 • 2158 Posts

sorry bout that bud, but I wouldnt let sony charge me for that, I would argue and argue till they give up and fix it for no charge

but whats up with the "(insert color) light of death"? I think theres no need for that, just say its broken, thats just gonna cause another reason for fanboys to fight over at forums, and it makes me paranoid that it might happen to my ps3

pfft...yellow light of death

julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts

So today when I got home from school, I tryed turning on my PS3 and for some reason when I pressed the power button a yellow light appeared and my PS3 turned off. I called Sony and they said they will charge me $150 to fix it. I think thats crap because I have always taken care of my PS3 and I dont think I deserve to pay that much. This really sucks because I wont be able to play the MGS4 Beta. Anybody know how I can fix this problem or is sending it in, and play $150 my only option?marco_polo13

Try holding down both buttons at once I heard that does something don't qoute me on it though lol. After you've tried that try to replace your HDD and if that doesn't work you will have to send it in, but remember try everything else first sending it in is the last resort.

hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hofuldig
Member since 2004 • 5126 Posts

LOL Joke topic. MGS4 Beta has ben off for like5 weeks now.

Keasy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Keasy4
Member since 2003 • 16843 Posts
well i had it be4 on the 60 gigs but its not really dead just playing dead... u can still turn on the PS3 its just that if u turn it off then it will get the yellow light again.. so leave it on till u get the box from sony..
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
Eh, if you don't think the YLOD exists then you are ignorant. It's not common at all like the RROD, but it exists.
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#46 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts
This thread is almost a month old, so why are you guys bringing it back?
jquest123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jquest123
Member since 2007 • 765 Posts

[QUOTE="marco_polo13"]So today when I got home from school, I tryed turning on my PS3 and for some reason when I pressed the power button a yellow light appeared and my PS3 turned off. I called Sony and they said they will charge me $150 to fix it. I think thats crap because I have always taken care of my PS3 and I dont think I deserve to pay that much. This really sucks because I wont be able to play the MGS4 Beta. Anybody know how I can fix this problem or is sending it in, and play $150 my only option?hofuldig

LOL Joke topic. MGS4 Beta has ben off for like5 weeks now.

this thread was made at the time the MGS beta was out, its only at the first page of the boards cause it was bumped, before you make fun of ones thread if its real or not check the OP date first before you critizize

patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts
Ya try reformatting your HDD. Yellow light is HDD indicator.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

liars go to hell :D

unless you can show me proof of course