Most depressing game you have played.

• 119 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Most games these days don't ever try to envoke this emotion but the few games that I came across that actually made me sad were some amazing works of art. Similar to how some movies can be, i remember watching "Grave of the Firefies" and that was a brutal tear-jerker. I can't really think of any games on the PS3 so think back to any game you've played.

Personally, the most depressing game I've ever played is Phantom Brave by Nippon Ichi. Throughout the whole game was nothing but horrible things done to a thirteen-year-old girl and thenI think two-thirds into the game something really bad happened and I shed some tears.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

The beginning of MGS4 always seems sad to me. More so, the music.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Zidaneski

*Spoilers for Jeanne D'Arc*

Everything that led up to the burning up Liane was intense, and then when Roger goescrazy over it right at the foot of her burning corpse just about made that scene the most memorable in any videogame I've played. Its one thing to get stabbed (FFVII) but to be burned as a heretic in full animated glory made it so surreal.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

Indigo Prophecy was overall incredibly depressing, but no other game has had a more depressing ending than Metal Gear Solid 3, especially when you play the entire game hating The Boss' guts.

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
That "Interactive Art" game on the PSN. I have no idea why but it made me so depressed for some reason.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Scianix-Black

Yeah, ^ the color palette was fairly limited.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zidaneski

I think it was the music. then there was the swimming dog that died.:cry: the cat should of been the one to die.

DManSteelerFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 DManSteelerFan
Member since 2009 • 1097 Posts
I thought that that one scene in The Darkness was sad, y'all know what I'm talking about. That's probly the saddest scene ever...
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Scianix-Black

I thought that that one scene in The Darkness was sad, y'all know what I'm talking about. That's probly the saddest scene ever...DManSteelerFan

Especially after all that time I spent with her watching TV... I wasn't even sad, I was just really pissed. :x

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts
drakengard... *spoilers i guess, it's a fairly old ps3 game by SE* man... that whole game was created to be depressing... all of its multiple endings were bad (some worse than others).. and wtf was up with those gigantic cannibal infants... now THAT was more disturbing than depressing.. still depressing though how they ate the dragon
lextexrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lextexrex
Member since 2003 • 1311 Posts

Indigo Prophecy was overall incredibly depressing, but no other game has had a more depressing ending than Metal Gear Solid 3, especially when you play the entire game hating The Boss' guts.

Scianix-Black
Tru dat!
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts
i meant ps2 game, typo
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zidaneski

Spoiler for Shadow of the colossus.

The first time seeing your horse fall while throwing you to safety was a tough scene to bear and then having to fight the next boss alone.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Scianix-Black

Oh man, I remember that part too...

This is the most depressing thread ever...

AtticusFinch88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AtticusFinch88
Member since 2008 • 1388 Posts

[QUOTE="DManSteelerFan"]I thought that that one scene in The Darkness was sad, y'all know what I'm talking about. That's probly the saddest scene ever...Scianix-Black

Especially after all that time I spent with her watching TV... I wasn't even sad, I was just really pissed. :x

yup, when "that" part happened I was like "WHAT?!?! They can't do that!!" I don't think I had ever seen such a powerful scene in a game before, It seriously shocked me.

Fallout 3 did that to me too quite a few times during the story. I very nearly cried at the end, I wasn't expecting it to end so abruptly. I was angry, sad and disappointed at the same time. A very powerful and depressing game overall.

Erik729

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Erik729
Member since 2006 • 1474 Posts

Spoiler for MGS4 ~

The middle where EVA dies. That whole scene was just insane, it was the fall of Snake as well as all that is "good" in the game, and when Jon and Ed were lying next to each other all shot to hell, then Snake there, burnt, just sitting there with his dead mother. That was an amazing scene.

Then in the end, during the microwave hall, I definitely thought Raiden was way dead, as well as Meryl and Johnny. The whole scene is probably the most unforgettable moment in gaming for me. Ever.

Spoiler for MGS4 ^

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I remember some depressing Games from the past, but to choose actual titles, FFVII Crisis Cores Ending and some scenes in Valkyria Chronicles were actually depressing

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

I think it was the music. then there was the swimming dog that died.:cry: the cat should of been the one to die.

Zidaneski

LEAVE THE CAT ALONE lol :P

Most depressing ending was Crisis Core : Final Fantasy VII. Sad but really beautiful.

brakey101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 brakey101
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts

I will have to say the end of Dead space when he finds out his GF died then in the space ship he dies FROM his GF after all his been through :(

xtoperchris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xtoperchris
Member since 2008 • 117 Posts

Yah, Crisis Core FF7's ending made me so sad, it almost made my tears drop.. So sad ending but a trully great game. It's so touchy.

The_Wild_Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 The_Wild_Tiger
Member since 2006 • 1712 Posts

I remember that part in Shadow of the Colossus. I was incredibly sad after i saw that scene :(. it actually kept me a little upset for a while. But the ending kinda fixed ot for me. SPOILER ALERT!!. When ur back in the temble and u wake up the girl and ur horse starts limping up the stairs. it was like a OMG HES OK! moment

joelgargan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 joelgargan
Member since 2008 • 1009 Posts

MGS3 = Pulling the trigger.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

Dark Cloud 2

The story makes me sad.

lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts

[QUOTE="DManSteelerFan"]I thought that that one scene in The Darkness was sad, y'all know what I'm talking about. That's probly the saddest scene ever...Scianix-Black

Yeah, me too. That was one of the few times that i felt really angry with an event on a videogame.
Gerardo1963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gerardo1963
Member since 2003 • 345 Posts

lol! Yea i was pissed too!

warbmxjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 warbmxjohn
Member since 2007 • 6014 Posts
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

lextexrex
Tru dat!

Yeah MGS3 was depressing but inspired pride at the same time, that was amazing storytelling. MGS4 had its moments as well. FFX was the most depressing game I have played however.
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
the end of mgs certainly went emotional. farenheit had a very realistic depressing mood to it. well for a while
TheRocha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheRocha
Member since 2007 • 769 Posts

silent hill 2

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts

The beginning of MGS4 always seems sad to me. More so, the music.

Denji
really? what part? i cant really remember any sad parts? unless youre talking about him standing in the cemetary before being contacted by otcacon.?
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 slvrraven9
[QUOTE="Zidaneski"]

Spoiler for Shadow of the colossus.

The first time seeing your horse fall while throwing you to safety was a tough scene to bear and then having to fight the next boss alone.

OMG i had totally forgotten that part until now!!! man i was sad...i was all choked up while trying to kill a colossi! i just couldnt get my head in the game for a few minutes!
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 slvrraven9
[QUOTE="Erik729"]

Spoiler for MGS4 ~

The middle where EVA dies. That whole scene was just insane, it was the fall of Snake as well as all that is "good" in the game, and when Jon and Ed were lying next to each other all shot to hell, then Snake there, burnt, just sitting there with his dead mother. That was an amazing scene.

Then in the end, during the microwave hall, I definitely thought Raiden was way dead, as well as Meryl and Johnny. The whole scene is probably the most unforgettable moment in gaming for me. Ever.

Spoiler for MGS4 ^

OMG I REMEMBER THAT PART TOO!!! man theres too many sad memories in this thread! im gonna feel depressed all day now! i cant take it, but i must read on for more depressing moments to remember
CreatureRising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#32 CreatureRising
Member since 2006 • 1541 Posts

2 games that Depressed me were the God of war games just hate hate hate and sad sad sad

Awesome game to!

THQ88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 THQ88
Member since 2008 • 1362 Posts

watching the legendary soldier putting a gun in his mouth attempting suicide after all his heroic years on the battlefield.

Um_Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Um_Wut
Member since 2008 • 524 Posts

Zidaneski

YOU shoulda been the one to die, fatty.

Katzenbalger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Katzenbalger
Member since 2008 • 764 Posts

Most games these days don't ever try to envoke this emotion but the few games that I came across that actually made me sad were some amazing works of art. Similar to how some movies can be, i remember watching "Grave of the Firefies" and that was a brutal tear-jerker. I can't really think of any games on the PS3 so think back to any game you've played.

Personally, the most depressing game I've ever played is Phantom Brave by Nippon Ichi. Throughout the whole game was nothing but horrible things done to a thirteen-year-old girl and thenI think two-thirds into the game something really bad happened and I shed some tears.

Zidaneski

Ah! I'm playing through Phantom Brave at the moment (Big Nippon Ichi Fan: La Pucelle + Makai Kingdom + Disgaea= Awesomeness). I'm not far through, but it's already a little sad. Have to prepare myself then!

As for most depressing, i agree with many of the responses already, but one game that i found depressing was Odin Sphere.Some of those characters were very troubled, and some of the plot twists and events made things reallysad. In particular, the multiple endings were depressing. The bad ending is horribly depressing, and the good ending isn't much better.

The_Solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 The_Solid
Member since 2008 • 1500 Posts
MGS4 Ending When snake is getting heated in the microwave. GTA4 Both the endings seemed pretty sad for me.
Afro-Man623

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#37 Afro-Man623
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Can't believe no one has mentioned Sephiroth killing Aerith. The whole game isn't depressing, but that part was just unbearable. I Kept thinking "oh Cloud will jump in before he stabs-" O_O Then I thought I did something wrong and tried over and over to prevent it to no avail :'( As for PS3, In Heavenly Sword...I just about fell out of my chair when Flying Fox, after tormenting her about her mother's death, 'executed' Kai (the little girl). Then when Nariko died :(
AtticusFinch88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AtticusFinch88
Member since 2008 • 1388 Posts

not really depressing, but the ending I got for Marvel Ultimate Alliance made me feel really bad..

*SPOILER*

I had no idea that the optional tasks/missions would affect the ending, so when the end scene showed that I "chose" to not do something that at the time I thought was pointless, It eventually meant the X-Men all died out because of my "choice"! That made me feel so guilty lol!

Avatar image for b3yondstupidity
b3yondstupidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 b3yondstupidity
Member since 2007 • 12500 Posts
A bit of MGS4
mithrixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40 mithrixx
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

Dead Space is the one imo. Unlike MGS4, dead space did not have a single funny moment. It was all depressing until the end. The end was the great depression of my gaming history.

jmdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 jmdude
Member since 2007 • 2521 Posts

Jak 3 *SPOILER* the part when Damas is dying and he tells Jak to find his son, and Jak finds out that he was the son of Damas.

that made me emotional...:cry:

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#42 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

Golden Axe Beast Rider.

Every time I think about paying 60 bucks for that garbage, it makes me depressed.

In terms of actual story and atmosphere of the game that evokes that emotion, I'd say Ico does the job for me.

brandojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 brandojones
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

LittleBigPlanet. It's horribly depressing and makes me sad. jk:P

Oh, in half-life 2 at the end of the second episode. I think, I might have to play that game again.

xcc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 xcc2000
Member since 2009 • 73 Posts
The most depressing game I've played is FINAL FANTASY VII, the game has got a sad atmosphere all along, and then there is that scene were Aeris dies...that was sad... I was much younger back then tho...
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#45 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

Can't believe no one has mentioned Sephiroth killing Aerith. The whole game isn't depressing, but that part was just unbearable. I Kept thinking "oh Cloud will jump in before he stabs-" O_O Then I thought I did something wrong and tried over and over to prevent it to no avail :'( As for PS3, In Heavenly Sword...I just about fell out of my chair when Flying Fox, after tormenting her about her mother's death, 'executed' Kai (the little girl). Then when Nariko died :(Afro-Man623

Those are sad moments. It's not exactly depressing.

When you think of the word depressing, you get less of that extreme burst of emotion but something more subtle.

xcc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 xcc2000
Member since 2009 • 73 Posts
You can get depressed after a sad moment... I agree with the tormenting scene in Heavenly Sword, even thou I still think FFVII was depressing all the way...
MGSFan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MGSFan92
Member since 2008 • 1525 Posts
Fallout 3, It made me want to shoot myself.
lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts
Condemned 2 is a depressing game.
Tlahui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Tlahui
Member since 2005 • 1552 Posts
Bioshock was pretty depressing. Everyone you tried to help outjust ended up dieing or turning on you.
njean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 njean777
Member since 2007 • 3807 Posts

The darkness is really depressing, and so is MGS4 if you look at it from a humanity perspective.