MGS4 over rated, over hyped, over here..

• 133 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shottohell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 shottohell
Member since 2008 • 35 Posts
Is it me or is MGS4 just over rated, boring and ponderously slow. i am struggling to get in to it and keep going back to COD4 to get some excitment into my gaming.
ethanpaige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 ethanpaige
Member since 2005 • 13100 Posts
It's ok, plenty of people only like mindless run and gun shooters. But yeah, the MGS series isn't for everyone.
TheDustyOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 TheDustyOne
Member since 2008 • 207 Posts

Is it me or is MGS4 just over rated, boring and ponderously slow. i am struggling to get in to it and keep going back to COD4 to get some excitment into my gaming.shottohell

Yeah, MGS4 and GTA4 are 9/10. NOT 10/10.

pigsybum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

#4 pigsybum
Member since 2004 • 1675 Posts

It's ok, plenty of people only like mindless run and gun shooters.ethanpaige

it actually takes u back to the start of the gaming industry, "fun".

shottohell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 shottohell
Im no run and gun and i do like my old sniper riffle from a hidden place but, i need some excitment after a hard day at work and though the camo on MGS4 is great the movement is so un fluid.
shottohell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 shottohell
but surely thats called progress, other wise i'll drag my old console's out and play golded eye.
ethanpaige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 ethanpaige
Member since 2005 • 13100 Posts

[QUOTE="ethanpaige"]It's ok, plenty of people only like mindless run and gun shooters.pigsybum

it actually takes u back to the start of the gaming industry, "fun".

I didn't mean it as an insult. I like to toss in games like that every once in a while too
shottohell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shottohell

I like a mixture of games but i just don't get MGS4, i couldn't wait to get it but felt really let down, it should have been fantastic, may be i need to persevere some more.

OrwellJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 OrwellJames
Member since 2008 • 591 Posts

It's funny how people will sit through a two hour movie without whining, complaining, or urinating but when a video game that isn't an RPG manifests some semblance of a narrative they're suddenly bored to tears.

The reason MGS4 is so heavy on narrative is because it can be; unlike 95% of video games, people are interested in its plot. I'm not a huge fan of the series because I don't like stealth and I don't like plots that rely too heavily on "twists" but the game isn't overrated. You simply don't like it.

shottohell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shottohell
no insult taken everyone to there own, just didnt know if it was just me and i was missing something.
Hanabie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 Hanabie
Member since 2008 • 596 Posts
yep so true. gta4 is overrated. sold the game on ebay tho =/
Devourment423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Devourment423
Member since 2005 • 2163 Posts

It's funny how people will sit through a two hour movie without whining, complaining, or urinating but when a video game that isn't an RPG manifests some semblance of a narrative they're suddenly bored to tears.

The reason MGS4 is so heavy on narrative is because it can be; unlike 95% of video games, people are interested in its plot. I'm not a huge fan of the series because I don't like stealth and I don't like plots that rely too heavily on "twists" but the game isn't overrated. You simply don't like it.

OrwellJames

When you go to a movie you are expecting a movie. When I play a game, I don't expect a movie, I expect a GAME. I like MGS 4, but your first paragraph is a pretty stupid comparison.

OrwellJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 OrwellJames

Are you suggesting you didn't get a game when you bought MGS4? Honestly, think about what you're saying before you post.

Devourment423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Devourment423

Are you suggesting you didn't get a game when you bought MGS4? Honestly, think about what you're saying before you post.

OrwellJames

I'm pretty sure I knew I got a game when I bought MGS 4, but you referred people getting bored because of the story and that is what I was referring to. I myself like it, but I can understand why many people would get bored because of the story in this game. The cutscenes add up to be way longer than any movie.

shottohell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shottohell
may be your right, its just not for me, but i so wish it was , and thats the problem
OrwellJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 OrwellJames
The cut scenes may add up to a great deal of time, but the game should (and usually is) played over a span of at least a few days, probably weeks in most cases. Considering the interactive sequences can be basically as long as you want them to be (if you jump in guns blazing they're not going to take long), I don't think the cut scenes comprise an unreasonable portion of the game. However, my point was that ultimately, it's a matter of taste so one shouldn't label a game "overrated" simply because they didn't like the pacing. You seem to have agreed that it's a matter of taste, yet you griped about my comparison, which was a legitimate comment about people's selective attention spans when playing movies versus games. In fact, you haven't fundamentally disagreed with anything I've said, you've just insulted my intelligence. Good work.
shottohell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shottohell
maybe developers spend to much on the movie clips within the games now a days and not enough on the game play, im not suggesting that MGS4 isnt a game but there is a lot of watching in it.
Devourment423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Devourment423

The cut scenes may add up to a great deal of time, but the game should (and usually is) played over a span of at least a few days, probably weeks in most cases. Considering the interactive sequences can be basically as long as you want them to be (if you jump in guns blazing they're not going to take long), I don't think the cut scenes comprise an unreasonable portion of the game. However, my point was that ultimately, it's a matter of taste so one shouldn't label a game "overrated" simply because they didn't like the pacing. You seem to have agreed that it's a matter of taste, yet you griped about my comparison, which was a legitimate comment about people's selective attention spans when playing movies versus games. In fact, you haven't fundamentally disagreed with anything I've said, you've just insulted my intelligence. Good work.OrwellJames

You should probably use paragraphs next time. Anyways I was disagreeing with the first part of your post. I don't see how it is funny people complain that a story in a game is boring.

shottohell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shottohell
i think what you said is right, no insult was given and intended, just wanted peoples opinions on this game and its ratings
OrwellJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 OrwellJames

Anyways I was disagreeing with the first part of your post. I don't see how it is funny people complain that a story in a game is boring.

You should use commas next time. Anyways, if you don't think that what I mentioned was a selective discrepancy in attention span, I don't know what else to say. Next time I'm just going to have to start making fun of you for being a simpleton.

ash10692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 ash10692
Member since 2008 • 2310 Posts
It's a great game, and a great ending to the MGS series. I really enjoyed it, but no, it isn't for everyone. I was shocked when so many people were buying consoles just to play it, just because it was the next hyped thing.
trenno2529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 trenno2529
Member since 2007 • 3396 Posts
it's not overrated, you just don't like it. however, i do agree it doesn't deserve a perfect score. i think gs are getting a bit lenient with some of their reviews.
Devourment423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Devourment423

You should use commas next time. Anyways, if you don't think that what I mentioned was a selective discrepancy in attention span, I don't know what else to say. Next time I'm just going to have to start making fun of you for being a simpleton.

OrwellJames

Go for it, but I keep saying I was talking about the first paragraph in your post. I'm not talking about anyones attention spans. I just dont see how you find it funny people will complain about a game being boring because of a long story, but won't complain when they go to a movie for a good story.

OrwellJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 OrwellJames

People have come to expect narrative in every single game they play. Nearly all games released on discs for consoles these days have SOME form of plot. The MGS series itself has ALWAYS been somewhat heavy on plot. For someone to buy a video game without expecting, Hell, DEMANDING, a compelling plot in this generation is pretty much outrageous. Name a good game released in the past 5 years that didn't have a plot.

Devourment423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Devourment423

People have come to expect narrative in every single game they play. Nearly all games released on discs for consoles these days have SOME form of plot. The MGS series itself has ALWAYS been somewhat heavy on plot. For someone to buy a video game without expecting, Hell, DEMANDING, a compelling plot in this generation is pretty much outrageous. Name a good game released in the past 5 years that didn't have a plot.

OrwellJames

Which is the reason so many people move right to online without trying the single player first right? There are so many people who won't even touch single player and move to online because they just want to do mindless killing. Why do you think this gen is so focused on online.

ash10692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ash10692
[QUOTE="OrwellJames"]

Devourment423

Which is the reason so many people move right to online without trying the single player first right? There are so many people who won't even touch single player and move to online because they just want to do mindless killing. Why do you think this gen is so focused on online.

True, single player is becoming more and more of a novelty. I miss the days of Sonic the Hedgehog, and Super Mario Bros. *sigh*

kingsofstreet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kingsofstreet
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="shottohell"]Is it me or is MGS4 just over rated, boring and ponderously slow. i am struggling to get in to it and keep going back to COD4 to get some excitment into my gaming.TheDustyOne

How about MGS4 9.5/10 and GTA4 9/10, :D that makes me feel better, I loved it.

OrwellJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 OrwellJames

Why do you think this gen is so focused on online.

If that were a relevant concern in this thread, then we'd be talking about Metal Gear Online, not Metal Gear Solid 4. Also, the obsession with online gaming has to do with novelty (for many, this is their first generation of online services), desire for competition, and the fact that FPS's and other genres with active multiplayer modes tend to have some of the most Godawful plots ever fathomed; worse than all the short stories on Wordpress combined. It doesn't mean that plots haven't become firmly ingrained in the concept of gaming. What the Hell are you even arguing at this point? That video games should all be races to see who can hit the R2 button the quickest? Just drop it; you've lost sight of the entire conversation and you're redirecting it on irrelevant tangents.

Devourment423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Devourment423

If that were a relevant concern in this thread, then we'd be talking about Metal Gear Online, not Metal Gear Solid 4. Also, the obsession with online gaming has to do with novelty (for many, this is their first generation of online services), desire for competition, and the fact that FPS's and other genres with active multiplayer modes tend to have some of the most Godawful plots ever fathomed; worse than all the short stories on Wordpress combined. It doesn't mean that plots haven't become firmly ingrained in the concept of gaming. What the Hell are you even arguing at this point? That video games should all be races to see who can hit the R2 button the quickest? Just drop it; you've lost sight of the entire conversation and you're redirecting it on irrelevant tangents.

OrwellJames

You seemed to have missed my point from your very first response, and still don't get it. I also find it funny in one post you say in 95% of video games people don't care about the plot, yet you now say people demand plots? I mean you sure do know how to rant on and on about everything that's the only reason I got off subject.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
[QUOTE="TheDustyOne"]

[QUOTE="shottohell"]Is it me or is MGS4 just over rated, boring and ponderously slow. i am struggling to get in to it and keep going back to COD4 to get some excitment into my gaming.kingsofstreet

How about MGS4 9.5/10 and GTA4 9/10, :D that makes me feel better, I loved it.

You people really are missing what a 10/10 means, in no way does the 10/10 stand for perfection. 10/10 simply means that the game could not have been improved upon in any meaningful way. Now, I challenge anyone to tell me anyway MGS4 could have improved "meaningfully"(meaning small tweek's here and there don't take away from the experience, most likely if you find such thing you were looking for them in the first place)

shottohell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 shottohell
at most though i haven't played it on-line yet so maybe to early to judge
shottohell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 shottohell
it could have been more fluent in movement. have less cut scene's
shottohell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 shottohell
in MGS4 i though the characters were doing a robotic dance, take COD4 they move like humans
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jeremiah06

it could have been more fluent in movement. have less cut scene's shottohell

The movement was fine, making it any better would not improve the overall gaming experience. Less cut scenes would not be an improvement.

ash10692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ash10692

in MGS4 i though the characters were doing a robotic dance, take COD4 they move like humansshottohell

Uhh what? MGS4 has some of the most realistic human movement that I've ever seen. MGS games use motion capture, everything you see done by a human has been done for real.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jeremiah06

in MGS4 i though the characters were doing a robotic dance, take COD4 they move like humansshottohell

All this says is you have bad eyes, no one else complains about this, as a matter of fact this isn't even an issue for anyone but you so... Like I said, nothing anyone could bring up would change the game to make it over all better, at least not in this gen.

karnis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 karnis
Member since 2004 • 1825 Posts
mgs4 is awesome not over rated or hyped
gurjinder11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gurjinder11
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I agree mgs4 isnt for everyone, people just fell into the hype with the hardcore fans. Don't get me wrong mgs4 is GOTY however if your into "run and gun" pace of a game and minimal cutscene lengths then this isn't the game for you sorry stick to COD4. (lol) Im a huge fan of the mgs series, loved it from the start, as said before it is heavily based on story telling. If you understood the story then the meaning of the gameplay might interest you. Back to the topic of the thread lol in my opinion mgs4 IS NOT over rated or over hyped its a perfect game for the hardcore gamer THAT IS INTO STEALTH STORYTELLING. i can go on and on about this game but il stop here for you people.
Infinite-Zr0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Infinite-Zr0
Member since 2003 • 13284 Posts
Am I the only one here who's played MGO? The multiplayer 'run and gun' part of MGS4?
soren008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 soren008
Member since 2008 • 2190 Posts

Is it me or is MGS4 just over rated, boring and ponderously slow...shottohell

You aint alone ...

Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

MGS series was always about long movies and story... and if you still didnt know that ALL reviewers said it has long cutscenes so if you go buy it and expect it to not have those movies then complain about it, you are just daydreaming and talking nonsense...

for anyone who cant bear long cutscenes, every reviewer wrote that MGS4 has long cutscenes, if you cant deal with it why do you bother ? if you'll complain then dont play it, if you want to play it dont complain, its just ridiculous.

robobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 robobie
Member since 2007 • 2172 Posts

[QUOTE="shottohell"]Is it me or is MGS4 just over rated, boring and ponderously slow. i am struggling to get in to it and keep going back to COD4 to get some excitment into my gaming.TheDustyOne

Actually GTA is 10/10
Bubblehash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bubblehash
Member since 2004 • 2914 Posts
After playing through it twice, I would still give it the score it got.
baller72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 baller72
Member since 2007 • 1847 Posts

It's a great game, and a great ending to the MGS series. I really enjoyed it, but no, it isn't for everyone. I was shocked when so many people were buying consoles just to play it, just because it was the next hyped thing.ash10692
DING DING DING... This what I was saying in forums before the game came out.

I 4 one knew that I was going to get and enjoy MGS4... Reasons why: 1) because I played the other ones, 2) And I was playing not because of hype

Truthfully, I never knew that MGS was so popular until 4. and you want to know the truth it wasn't too popular imo Before 4 came out. MGS was known as that game that people either loved it or hate and alot of people just couldn't get into it because they did not play a previous installment or they felt the gameplay sucked or they thought the story was too much or they hated the long cut-scenes, But you know what is funny the people who enjoy the series for the most part love all those things I just named... So IMO the fanbase for Metal Gear games were as not as big as games as GTA and Halo...

But all of a sudden the hype of MGS4 got out of control and people who had never heard of the game let alone the series before thought they were going to be able to just jump in and enjoy like all the other fans...And that was not the case of coarse....

Instead you get these types of topics with people calling it overhyped and not worthy of being a 10... Now I need to find people who have played all the previous installments and say MGS4 is boring and not a great game... I am sure there are some but I am sure it is not many...

So in short the game may be overhyped to you and newcomers, but the fact of the matter is YOU JUST DONT LIKE IT....PERIOD!!!!

baller72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 baller72
Member since 2007 • 1847 Posts

it's not overrated, you just don't like it. however, i do agree it doesn't deserve a perfect score. i think gs are getting a bit lenient with some of their reviews. trenno2529
You think so... only two games got a 10 and every other game has been viewed by people on here as being too low of a score...

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
mgs 4 is the best game i played ever.
LordReithgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LordReithgar
Member since 2004 • 826 Posts

OrwellJames

I think the poster resumed well the game, I loved that game because of the narratives. And I loved that game because of the immersive gameplay. Imo Cod4 is boring to death, pretty lame single player and I don't do multiplayer because it's overly repetitive after you've done the same map a xillion times.