MGS4 4.6gig HD Install.

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Elitheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Elitheos
Member since 2003 • 111 Posts

http://www.gameguru.in/sony-playstation-3/2008/09/big-boss-returns-in-mgs4-mandatory-installation-of-game-necessary/

Great, one of the games I was looking forward to most this year and I may have to pass it up because I've made it a point not to buy games that require huge HD installs. I just don't see the need to support lazy developers that dump so much onto my HD when the same game doesn't need an install on the 360. COD4 is a great port for the PS3 and 360 and it only takes about 50mb on the PS3, so why does Devil May Cry 4 require 5gig?. I passed up DMC 4 because of it's install.

I have a 60gig PS3 and when I decided to check my HD space I was shocked to learn I had less than 20gigs left. When I checked out the game data folder this is what I found.

Time Shift, Ratchet and Clank and Orange Box at 500mb each.

Warhawk 800mb

Dark Sector 1.2gig

Assassin's Creed 1.3gig

Full Auto 1.7gig

Heavenly Sword 2gig

UT III 2.4gig (This one I can understand since I have several mods installed)

Oblivion 4gig

And the worse offender yet is GT5 at 5gig, and what pisses me off so much is that the box states "Required hard disk space: At least 5121 KB".......KILOBYTES!!! not MEGABYTES!!! I wouldn't have bought it if I knew it was 5121mb.

I want to download a few games in the near future like PixelJunk Mosters, Echochrome, Everyday Shooter and the Warhawk expansions and whatever demos that are fresh, but now I see I am not going to fit that and all these mandatory HD hogs. I find it hard to believe that Hideo Kojima is being lazy or in-experienced, and there is no 360 version to compare install sizes with, but I'd rather wait the extra 3 or 5 seconds loading than tie up my HD needlessly.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

*flashback to "DMC4 install *****ing Era"*

:shock:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! Not again!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts

Big Boss is back? Sweet!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts
Oh Boo-hoo those lazy developers making faster load screens. THOSE SONS OF *****S! It is annoying but refusing to buy a game because of that is downright idiotic.
poomonger613

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 poomonger613
Member since 2006 • 1331 Posts
O_O there go my last 10 gigs, well at least its the right game to take up the space
Elitheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Elitheos

Oh Boo-hoo those lazy developers making faster load screens. THOSE SONS OF *****S! It is annoying but refusing to buy a game because of that is downright idiotic.avataraang1

I'm all for developers making the loading times shorter, but if it's going to take 20mins to install and such a huge chunk out of my HD then they should make it optional like Ninja Gaiden:Sigma.

Avatar image for xoxINSOMNIACxox
xoxINSOMNIACxox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xoxINSOMNIACxox
Member since 2008 • 647 Posts

Upgrade to 250gb or higher. That's what I did and you don't have to worry about that.

shroom76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 shroom76
Member since 2007 • 1764 Posts

im sorry did you just call konami and hideo kojima lazy developers? are we talking about the same game? the game that takes up 50+gigs of spaceon one dual layered bd?

ps3 works like a supercomputer, for it to run like one you have to install. get an external hardrive or upgrade your internal one, mgs4 is worth 5 gigs of space

Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts

im sorry did you just call konami and hideo kojima lazy developers? are we talking about the same game? the game that takes up 50+gigs of spaceon one dual layered bd?

ps3 works like a supercomputer, for it to run like one you have to install. get an external hardrive or upgrade your internal one, mgs4 is worth 5 gigs of space

shroom76

It's worth 1000GB lol jk :P.

Elitheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Elitheos

im sorry did you just call konami and hideo kojima lazy developers? are we talking about the same game? the game that takes up 50+gigs of spaceon one dual layered bd?shroom76

Nah, that's why I said "I find it hard to believe Hideo would be lazy or in-experienced", I know he's one of the best. If Hideo says that MGS4 NEEDS a 4.6gig install to run at full quality then maybe it does, but does that mean that in the future ALL games that really take advantage of the PS3 hardware will require a huge install? If that's the case then even a 250gig HD will not be enough.

420Token420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 420Token420
Member since 2007 • 5173 Posts
Run for the hills ..
True-Legend86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 True-Legend86
Member since 2007 • 1268 Posts

Ha...20gigs and your complaining. I have 1gig, im constantly deleting stuff to make space for new stuff. Im waiting for a 2.5 500GB hdd to upgrade my harddrive.

Dude, stop complaining...its not like you have to keep every single thing you put on your hdd...make room, jeez.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts

[QUOTE="avataraang1"]Oh Boo-hoo those lazy developers making faster load screens. THOSE SONS OF *****S! It is annoying but refusing to buy a game because of that is downright idiotic.Elitheos

I'm all for developers making the loading times shorter, but if it's going to take 20mins to install and such a huge chunk out of my HD then they should make it optional like Ninja Gaiden:Sigma.

The 3. something gig install for GTA took me like 8 minutes. I think that I can go online and make myself a sandwich in the time it will take for MGS4. Its not like Im gonna die waiting 15 minutes
Elitheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Elitheos

Ha...20gigs and your complaining. I have 1gig, im constantly deleting stuff to make space for new stuff. Im waiting for a 2.5 500GB hdd to upgrade my harddrive.

Dude, stop complaining...its not like you have to keep every single thing you put on your hdd...make room, jeez.

True-Legend86

And what would be so wrong with developers making a HD install optional so you wouldn't have to be doing all that deleting?

Iszk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Iszk
Member since 2008 • 469 Posts

It's MGS freakin' 4.

I don't like mandatory installs either, but you know what? This gets a pass. It could have a 20GB install, and I'd still buy it. Hell, I'd empty the full 60GB HDD if it wanted me too. This is the gaming event of 2008. I feel you on this, because a lot of people falsely assume these are for faster loading, with no proof of that whatsoever, especially since Drakes Fortune has no in game loading at all, and has only a small temp install.

BUT, again, this is, in fact, MGS4. Hideo Kojima does things for a reason. If he gave it an install, I take him on his word that it was absolutely necessary, and that sans install, it would simply not have been as good. It doesn't hurt that I simply do not buy as many games these days as I did before. I only buy the absolute must haves, because most games released these days simply are not worth sixty dollars, and the idea most major websites push onto us that at least 5 games worth buying at full price are released in this gaming market every month is patently absurd.

-Jashan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -Jashan-
Member since 2007 • 401 Posts
if u were smart u would just delete the old games u dont play anymore but i guess ur not
navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts

next time you post a link with spoilers PLEASE INDICATE IT ... some of us were planning to be surprised by the actual storyline of mgs4 rather than knowing tidbits from here and there ...

your also an idiot for overlooking games because of an install file ... once your done with a single player game ... delete! simple as that, plus harddrives are cheap. Theres also external harddrives and using your home computer as a media server instead of putting stuff on your harddrive ... i have numerous demos, played enough games without deleting the install files and i have a 60GB and find myself fine, if ever i find that im running out of space dishing out a little less than 100 and i'll have about 5 times the space with a 300GB harddrive ... I never even knew ppl were so anal about install sizes and ontop of that he said he needed more than 50GB of space for the game so i think 4.6 is perfectly justified in the case of MGS4

Elitheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Elitheos

if u were smart u would just delete the old games u dont play anymore but i guess ur not-Jashan-

Actually I am smart because I don't waste my money on games that don't have excellent replay value for me, meaning that I don't delete the install files because I still play the games regularly. However it does take some balls for anyone to insult another persons intelligence using a sentence without a single capitalization or punctuation. I salute you.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I come from the PC gaming some years ago and I'm very much use to game installations. It's not a big deal, it improves the game various aspects and you have to install it one time.

I don't understand that 5-15 minutes patience that today's console require is having such a negative feedback. Both Ps3 and X360 are basically a computer in essence with their own differences.

If you don't have space, upgrade. Just like in previous generation, when you need more space to save files, you buy a new memory card.

Hard-drives for PS3 are dirt-cheap. If you need space, go for it.

Fitipali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Fitipali
Member since 2003 • 424 Posts
there are some USB PS3 official external HD coming, i know i'm buying those because of this kind of reasons
bigLLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 bigLLL
Member since 2005 • 3688 Posts

Installs are good to me, decrease loading times and pop in, so im all for it

Elitheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Elitheos

I come from the PC gaming some years ago and I'm very much use to game installations. It's not a big deal, it improves the game various aspects and you have to install it one time.

I don't understand that 5-15 minutes patience that today's console require is having such a negative feedback. Both Ps3 and X360 are basically a computer in essence with their own differences.

If you don't have space, upgrade. Just like in previous generation, when you need more space to save files, you buy a new memory card.

Hard-drives for PS3 are dirt-cheap. If you need space, go for it.

Sokol4ever

Sokol, I come from PC gaming also. But the difference is that the PS3 install files seem out of proportion with the HD size that comes with the PS3. Gears of War for the PC is a whopping 12gb install, but if I buy a system today that will be capable of running GeOW, that system will more than likely come with at LEAST 320gb's. So that's roughly double the install space but on roughly 5 times the HD space using a 60gb PS3 for comparison. If the game installs were no more than 1gig that probably wouldn't be too much of a problem, but it's those damn games that decide to take 1/10th of a 60gb PS3 HD that really make things difficult. And also many of those full installs on a PC will allow you to play the game without having to put in the disk.

But this still doesn't explain why a game like Dark Sector needs over 1gb on a HD and COD4 needs less than 100mb. I wouldn't compare the install files of a game like GTA IV with COD4 since they are very different, but COD4 and Dark Sector are both shooters and similar enough to compare. I just don't feel that "get a larger HD" is a suitable answer to this.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Ugh, these mandatory HDD installs are ridiculous. My other game consoles work fine without them.
sribz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sribz
Member since 2005 • 226 Posts
Yeah, that's a shame that it takes up that much space. I can't wait for the game, but I have a feeling all my 60gigs will be taken up once the rest of the heavy hitters come out. Honestly, I know it's easy upgrading a bigger HDD, but I def don't wanna spend anymore money on it, and since that's the case for some of us, then I agree that there should be atleast an option for a minimal install or none at all.
zero0131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 zero0131
Member since 2005 • 143 Posts
i hope you do know that you can increase the size of the PS3 by a lot right...i just forgot the type of laptop HDD it requires and a certain type as well so just do that and dont complain man
sribz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sribz
Member since 2005 • 226 Posts
yeah, that's a good idea, but you're spending more money and you are gonna wanna transfer your save files.... i can understand the aggrevation. Some feel it shouldn't be necessary to enjoy these games with a massive install while on other systems require less HDD space or none. They should at least give an option. It's a small gripe, amongst many.....
Dirt_knap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dirt_knap
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="Elitheos"]

http://www.gameguru.in/sony-playstation-3/2008/09/big-boss-returns-in-mgs4-mandatory-installation-of-game-necessary/

"Great, one of the games I was looking forward to most this year and I may have to pass it up because I've made it a point not to buy games that require huge HD installs. I just don't see the need to support lazy developers that dump so much onto my HD when the same game doesn't need an install on the 360."

Dude, "those lazy developers" and their HD installs, make for a faster loading, more streamlined gaming experiance. For example, GTA4 on ps3 does not experiance graphic pop up, compared to the 360 version which suffers from pop up a fair bit, along with this, in game load times are next to nothing.

Also, don't forget you can upgrade the ps3's hard drive, gamepsot has a great guide on how to do this :lol:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6176090/index.html

Elitheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Elitheos

Also, don't forget you can upgrade the ps3's hard drive, gamepsot has a great guide on how to do this :lol:Dirt_knap

How could I forget, I've only been told to upgrade my HD around 20 times in this thread. I'll upgrade my HD when it's really necessary, like if they finally release that DVR component to allow me to use my PS3 as a TiVO. But if the actions of certain developer are going to pratically force me to drop money on a new HD instead of giving me the option of having slower loading times and more pop-in (the 360 version of GTA IV may have these but that didn't stop it from getting excellent reviews regardless), then I think I'll just pass on the game entirely.

Liquid-Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Liquid-Prince
Member since 2007 • 2277 Posts
You're complaining about something that makes games run smoother? All Multiplat games run slightly smoother and with less pop in when you install on the harddrive. For example GTA IV.
Elitheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Elitheos

You're complaining about something that makes games run smoother?Liquid-Prince

Again.......not complaining about something that makes a game run smoother. I'm complaining about a practice that gives me no option to decide if a smoother running game is worth loosing a huge chunk of my HD or not.

mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts
SICK!!! Big Boss is back...but yea that kinda sucks about installs...Oh well 150g ones for like $65 :)
NisiThanasi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NisiThanasi
Member since 2008 • 27 Posts

My friend, I understand you completely! Your arguement is about the ratio between what is given to what the developers ask for. I won't give you lame responses and tell you what to do with your own PS3; however, I shall explain a little why it requires so much on the PS3 and PC's as opposed to 360. It all has to do with resolutions and data contained within the Blu-Ray. You truly can't compare 360 vs Ps3 in this situation because there are many developers that truly can't unlock full potential of Blu-Ray disc data transferring.

Blu-Ray is amazing with its abyss of space that it can hold; however, it is still very new technology so the read speeds straight off the disc is somewhat slower. You may wonder how COD4 pulled it off... well that is because the game is in fact very very small in data content, don't get me wrong I love COD4 but it doesn't come close to information contained in GTAIV, GT5P, or MGS4.

GTAIV: HUGE map area, and only one-single load session.

MGS4: The game is enormerous with filled story line, hence requires such a huge install space

GT5P: This game although may be small in content, its the quality of the content that matters... FULL 1080p (Native) if you take a look at the size of the videos you download of this website for example, the HD or 1080p videos are almost 4x as big.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Avatar image for 5FingersOfDeath
5FingersOfDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 5FingersOfDeath
Member since 2007 • 1114 Posts
The problem with this situation is that, I think your average Joe wouldn't check his Data Utility to delete files, he'll just be deleting the Game Save Files, thus hogging all his space, specially a problem for the Joe that just rents games.
1uP_OnYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 1uP_OnYou
Member since 2008 • 3183 Posts

I still have have 50gb so I'll be more then happy to install if it makes things quicker. TC you can't miss this game!

Elitheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Elitheos

Yes Nisithanasi, I understand what your saying about not comparing PS3 to 360 and COD4 to GTA IV, Blu-ray is bigger but it's data rate is too slow to keep up with the hardware and GTA IV is more demanding than COD4 even tho the graphics are not as good. That's why I said in an earlier post that I wouldn't compare installation sizes of COD4 and GTA IV since they are not the same type of game, but what I don't understand is the two games I did compare, Dark Sector and COD4. Both are shooters, both have relatively same size levels and similar number of characters on the screen at the same time, both have very good graphics but Dark Sector is 720p and COD4 actually runs at 1080p. So between two similar games, the one running at a lower resolution takes 1.2gb's and the one running at the higher resolution only takes 12mb's (I just checked my PS3 and was blown away that COD4 only takes 12mb's). In my opinion that's not justifiable.

And what is ridiculous is GT5 Prolouge, when I heard it was a 5gb PS Store download I purposefully went out and hunted down the disc version to save space on my HD. The game box stated only a 5mb install. If I knew the disc version was going to do a FULL install of the 5gb's anyway I would just have downloaded it and I wouldn't have to worry about needing a disc to play. Not needing a disc far outweighs whatever little video they gave as a bonus to the disc owners.

So basically what I'm saying is that it's not always the developers "trying to make the game run smoother", many times it's the developers taking the easy way out and filling up my HD with what amounts to their incompetence.

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
First off how is GT5P a big offender when the game is a download? And for the game price of one game you could upgrade to a 160gig drive?
Elitheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Elitheos
I have the disc, what are you talking about Hiryu3?
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts

I have the disc, what are you talking about Hiryu3?Elitheos

my point is the game is mainly just a disc version of the download just like Warhawk which installed. Why would a company have one game with 2 types of running methods for the game? That is a waste in development cycle. One medium runs solely off the disc and the other from the drive.

AgentH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AgentH
Member since 2004 • 4636 Posts

For a 50 GB game, it's normal if you think about it. DMC4 isn't close to filling up the 25 GB BD-R and had a 4.8 GB install. MGS4 is 50 GB and the install is about 4.6 GB and you're mad about it?

Elitheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Elitheos
my point is the game is mainly just a disc version of the download just like Warhawk which installed. Why would a company have one game with 2 types of running methods for the game? That is a waste in development cycle. One medium runs solely off the disc and the other from the drive.hiryu3

With the disc version of Warhawk many things are pulled off the disk such as HD videos and such, so it does have two running methods.

Just play it right of the CD like its been done for THE PAST 15 YEARS.ScootyPuff

I don't think GT5 gave me an option for the install, but it's been a few weeks since I installed it so I may be wrong. If they did THEN GREAT!!!! I'll go uninstall it and free up some space. That's what I've been saying, give me an option.

baller72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 baller72
Member since 2007 • 1847 Posts
So you are not getting the game huh... well I must say that is a dumb reason sir... but to each its own.,,
Trygvetd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 Trygvetd
Member since 2007 • 110 Posts
And because why?
gekidami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 gekidami
Member since 2004 • 2446 Posts
You do realise Metal Gear Online is included in that install right...?
jtickner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 jtickner
Member since 2005 • 499 Posts

Great, one of the games I was looking forward to most this year and I may have to pass it up because I've made it a point not to buy games that require huge HD installs. I just don't see the need to support lazy developers that dump so much onto my HD when the same game doesn't need an install on the 360. COD4 is a great port for the PS3 and 360 and it only takes about 50mb on the PS3, so why does Devil May Cry 4 require 5gig?. I passed up DMC 4 because of it's install.

I have a 60gig PS3 and when I decided to check my HD space I was shocked to learn I had less than 20gigs left. When I checked out the game data folder this is what I found.

Warhawk 800mb

Dark Sector 1.2gig

Assassin's Creed 1.3gig

Full Auto 1.7gig

Heavenly Sword 2gig

Oblivion 4gig

And the worse offender yet is GT5 at 5gig, and what pisses me off so much is that the box states "Required hard disk space: At least 5121 KB".......KILOBYTES!!! not MEGABYTES!!! I wouldn't have bought it if I knew it was 5121mb.

I want to download a few games in the near future like PixelJunk Mosters, Echochrome, Everyday Shooter and the Warhawk expansions and whatever demos that are fresh, but now I see I am not going to fit that and all these mandatory HD hogs. I find it hard to believe that Hideo Kojima is being lazy or in-experienced, and there is no 360 version to compare install sizes with, but I'd rather wait the extra 3 or 5 seconds loading than tie up my HD needlessly.

Elitheos

I'm pretty sure you're just being a littly bit too wingy. Why pass up a great game because it has to install a little bit of data to you HDD. I gather you don't buy PC games?

Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts

I have no problem with that, I had no problem with DMC4 and since MGS is my favorite game I will not complain about it.

moshakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 moshakirby
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts

I've made it a point not to buy games that require huge HD installs. I just don't see the need to support lazy developers that dump so much onto my HD when the same game doesn't need an install on the 360. COD4 is a great port for the PS3 and 360 and it only takes about 50mb on the PS3, so why does Devil May Cry 4 require 5gig?. I passed up DMC 4 because of it's install.

Elitheos

Because the PS3 has a 2x blu-ray drive and data cannot be read of the disk fast enough. The x360 DVD drive is much faster and data can be read off it much faster.
It's nothing to do with the developers, it's just the PS3 doesn't have the hardware.

So if you still don't want to keep buying games that require HDD installs I see a bad, small game libray ahead of you.
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#50 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

Warhawk 800mb

Dark Sector 1.2gig

Assassin's Creed 1.3gig

Full Auto 1.7gig

Heavenly Sword 2gig

Oblivion 4gig

Elitheos

Cry me a river. I guess you wont be playing one HOT game.