Leaving the PS3 controller plugged into the PS3 at all times

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aa0fbe3ee7f4
deactivated-5aa0fbe3ee7f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5aa0fbe3ee7f4
Member since 2006 • 302 Posts

No I haven't done this so far, which is why I'm asking:

If I did leave the controller always plugged in, would the PS3 constantly charge the battery even when fully charged, or, once the battery is full, will the PS3 provide power to the controller without using or touching the battery?

The answer of that question will affect the answer to this question: Is it safe to leave the controller plugged in at all times?

Thanks in advance.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Don't do it, drains battery life.

Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

It will stop charging when completed.

doesntcare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 doesntcare
Member since 2007 • 1219 Posts

Mine is always plugged in...no problems here.

Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Furi-Kun

Gxgear

What the hell are you talking about?

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts
[QUOTE="Furi-Kun"]

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

I have no clue what hes talking about. Hes full of nonsense he is.
doesntcare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 doesntcare

I had my first sixaxis plugged in most of the time. Used it unplugged sometimes and never noticed any loss in battery life and its 3 years old

Avatar image for KrazyKoolKid475
KrazyKoolKid475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KrazyKoolKid475
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
If you leave it plugged in it will kill your battery so if you ever unplug it, it will not stay charged for long,but if you plan on never removing it, then go ahead.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gxgear

If you leave it plugged in it will kill your battery so if you ever unplug it, it will not stay charged for long,but if you plan on never removing it, then go ahead.KrazyKoolKid475

That's what I meant.

machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 machiavell8x8
Member since 2008 • 1399 Posts
why would the plug kill the battery, and whats its weapon of choice?
BrettB7400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BrettB7400
Member since 2007 • 3401 Posts

My god. Are you guys sure you own PS3s? How will the battery drain if it's plugged into the PS3? The battery will drain when it is not plugged in. When it reaches maximum after charging, it will stop charging. Geez.

Furi-Kun

I'll have to agree with Furi because he's the only one thats making sense. All of you don't know what you're talking about.

RTNDO128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RTNDO128
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

With rechargeable batteries, you're supposed to fully discharge and then fully charge them. If it is plugged in all the time, it is constantly recharging and the battery won't last as long.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gxgear

Apparently common knowledge about rechargeable batteries is not so "common" after all, feel free to look it up in wikipedia before teasing other people about it.

StudySession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 StudySession
Member since 2009 • 1539 Posts

If you leave the controller plugged in all the time the battery will charge and then once fully charged will trickle charge to keep the battery up to full power. With the older types of batteries nicd and nimh you would have to fully discharge and then recharge them fully to prolong the life of the battery. With today's lipo batteries it does not make a difference when or how much you charge the battery.

If you want to leave your controller plugged in all the time it will not have any adverse effects.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

Oh my god. So much fail here. I'm out. :(

Furi-Kun

How about providing a link to your claims before insulting other people :lol:

If you think you're right then prove it

doesntcare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 doesntcare

Im not trying to insult or prove anyone wrong, but i have had the same battery for my Dewalt 18 volt cordless drill (i usually keep the battery on the charger) and its almost 5 years old and it still last the same amount of time as it did when i first got it. Now im not saying that rechargeable battery's wont get to a point that they are not keeping a charge as long as it once use to. I am saying though chances are you replace such a device before it happens. I replaced my sixaxis finally cause of the analog sticks messing up and it hasn't been plugged in, in over 2 weeks and still has 2 bars. Just my own experiences

Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Furi-Kun

I'm not insulting anyone. I have my controller plugged in almost all the time. I haven't turned my PS3 off in about a month. I'm also not claiming anything, anyone who actually looks at their controller will know that it stops charging when it's complete after you plug it in. All you have to do is press the PS button and you'll see that the charge is completed.

Windblade91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Windblade91
Member since 2006 • 4343 Posts
it functions like a laptop battery if you leave it plugged in constantly the battery will lose life. essentially if you ever unplug it, it will die VERY fast, versus being usable for many days
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

My god. Are you guys sure you own PS3s? How will the battery drain if it's plugged into the PS3? The battery will drain when it is not plugged in. When it reaches maximum after charging, it will stop charging. Geez.

Furi-Kun

Oh my god. So much fail here. I'm out. :(

Furi-Kun

You don't consider this insulting others?

To stay on topic, I don't think leaving the controller in would harm the controller

I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong though

amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 amsfm6
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

it functions like a laptop battery if you leave it plugged in constantly the battery will lose life. essentially if you ever unplug it, it will die VERY fast, versus being usable for many daysWindblade91

This is true. Like the other guy said, I thought this was common knowledge.

fifamessi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fifamessi
Member since 2009 • 825 Posts

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Furi-Kun

that made me lol. im pretty sure thats nonsense
Merdox87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Merdox87
Member since 2004 • 306 Posts

I agree that leaving most devices plugged in will drain the battery over time, but most of the ones leavingthe ps3 controllersplugged in have not experienced any loss, which leads me to believe that the ps3 controller may be using a new/different type of battery like the other person stated. So yes its common knowledge but it may not apply in this case.

machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 machiavell8x8
the reason some devices are damaged by leaving them in is because THEY KEEP CHARGING, and you can tell because when you pick it up it is HOT. the PS3 uses SMART charging....HENCE NO PROBLEMS!!!!
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
why would the plug kill the battery, and whats its weapon of choice?machiavell8x8
Rechargeable batteries are meant to be drained before being charged again, if you leave it being charged at all times, it kills the battery. I had this happen to a laptop, I left it plugged in all the time and when I needed to move it around, the battery would only last for like an hour before needing a recharge.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
I rotate between 2 and one is always plugged in and have not had any problems in almost 2 years.
M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#28 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

I've never done it to be honest, but I always take my controller out when its fully recharged

machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 machiavell8x8

[QUOTE="machiavell8x8"]why would the plug kill the battery, and whats its weapon of choice?Sepewrath
Rechargeable batteries are meant to be drained before being charged again, if you leave it being charged at all times, it kills the battery. I had this happen to a laptop, I left it plugged in all the time and when I needed to move it around, the battery would only last for like an hour before needing a recharge.

and its already been stated that this is FALSE, this is only for the older types of batterys, some batterys are meant to STAY FULL or it damages them, aka if you drain your battery and forget to recharge it right away= damage. some batterys are never meant to be fully discharged at all.

AND farthermore its due to BAD chargers that continue charging at FULL charge after the battery is full...that DAMAGES the battery. this does NOT happen with a PS3 controller....case closed.

the reason your laptop went dead is because it continued to charge after it was FULL

Avatar image for deactivated-5aa0fbe3ee7f4
deactivated-5aa0fbe3ee7f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#30 deactivated-5aa0fbe3ee7f4
Member since 2006 • 302 Posts

Well now, there have been quite a few interesting comments... And I think the majority here is telling me that it's safe to leave the controller plugged in without causing anyharm tothe battery. Am I right? :lol:

Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts
Okay, I understand what both Furi and the others are saying. But, I still want to ask this question: Why not just solve it and play wireless? It's wireless and rechargable for a reason. Also, it has an extremely long battery life with the battery saving stuff turned on (turn off after 10 minutes). But I don't think it's good for the controller to keep it always plugged in, unless you use it a lot.