Is the ps3 up to par with the top Blu-ray players?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lobster_Ear
Member since 2005 • 5428 Posts

I was wondering about this since the ps2 used a pretty cheap DVD player. Does the PS3 do the same with it's Blu-ray player or is it as good of quality as the best stand-alone Blu-ray players? Also, how is the DVD up-conversion? Does it up-convert DVD's as good as top model DVD/Blu-ray players?

Thanks.

Azulrosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Azulrosa
Member since 2007 • 253 Posts

I was wondering about this since the ps2 used a pretty cheap DVD player. Does the PS3 do the same with it's Blu-ray player or is it as good of quality as the best stand-alone Blu-ray players? Also, how is the DVD up-conversion? Does it up-convert DVD's as good as top model DVD/Blu-ray players?

Thanks.

Lobster_Ear

I used to have a very good upscaling dvd player. the ps3 matches the quality. Honestly though, I usually watch dvd's on my 360 to reduce wear and tear on my baby. Blu-Ray looks awesome. I really can't tell you if the Blu-Ray drive in the ps3 is worse or better than a standalone, but it sure does look exactly like in the theater. (to me at least). And, I'm VERY picky about video quality.

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
Yes it is very good. And playing movies shouldn't cause the same issue like playing movies was an issue with the PS2. Both games and movies are on the same media so to have issues watching movies would mean that you will have issues playing games as well.
silentmobius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 silentmobius
Member since 2003 • 1034 Posts

Actually some tech sites have stated that the PS3 is the best Blu-ray player on the market. One of the reasons was because it's firmware can be updated over the internet, while the other players don't have this feature. When you also realize that the PS3 is also the cheapest on the market, you have to wonder why anyone would buy a standalone.

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts
PS3 is one of the best Blu-ray players available. As silentmobius said it's also a big plus that it's easy to update the firmware.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

It's not the most expensive or the greatest Blue-Ray player on the market, however I can't tell a difference when I watch the theater quality or the PS3 performance. And I'm quite a picky person when it comes to video and audio criticism.

It's very impressive.

Theibault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Theibault
Member since 2007 • 606 Posts
Not only is it one of the best BR players out there, as far as I know, it is still the only one withn HDMI 1.3.
oldskooler79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 oldskooler79
Member since 2004 • 1632 Posts

Well as someone who's owned every Blu-ray and HD-DVD player on the market, I would place PS3 in the upper tier.

In case your wondering, I'm a big home theater freak and I've played the 'buy and return' game from Best Buy to seek out that perfect player. They hate me for this I know, but I've invested well over 10 grand in this company this year alone.

Under extensive testing on my Pioneer plasma (which is considered a benchmark amongst flat panels) I would say the PS3 comes in 2nd place out of the 6 that I've tested as far as PICTURE QUALITY is concerned. This should one of the most important aspects, since Sony taunts better video and audio. The audio is okay, but I'm not real big on that so I don't really care.. and a nice set of surround headphones paired beautifully with a PS3 for immersive playback (in my case). I would give the 1up to PS3 because it has the ability to upgrade itself via firmware, and I'm pretty sure Sony will keep the PS3's Blu-ray performance competitive for the years to come.

From worst to best in my testing...

Sharp was my least favorite with playback errors and overall lack of features. Samsungs are a little better and are a safe bet. Sony players are very good and the PS3 matches the quality of these players, and the Panasonic was my favorite. The Panny performed fast, smooth, and effortlessly. It also had the best picture quality on my plasmas as well as Sony XBR 960 tube via 1080i.

The PS3 is a steal for what you getting.

ryank285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ryank285
Member since 2007 • 1152 Posts

Well as someone who's owned every Blu-ray and HD-DVD player on the market, I would place PS3 in the upper tier.

In case your wondering, I'm a big home theater freak and I've played the 'buy and return' game from Best Buy to seek out that perfect player. They hate me for this I know, but I've invested well over 10 grand in this company this year alone.

Under extensive testing on my Pioneer plasma (which is considered a benchmark amongst flat panels) I would say the PS3 comes in 2nd place out of the 6 that I've tested as far as PICTURE QUALITY is concerned. This should one of the most important aspects, since Sony taunts better video and audio. The audio is okay, but I'm not real big on that so I don't really care.. and a nice set of surround headphones paired beautifully with a PS3 for immersive playback (in my case). I would give the 1up to PS3 because it has the ability to upgrade itself via firmware, and I'm pretty sure Sony will keep the PS3's Blu-ray performance competitive for the years to come.

From worst to best in my testing...

Sharp was my least favorite with playback errors and overall lack of features. Samsungs are a little better and are a safe bet. Sony players are very good and the PS3 matches the quality of these players, and the Panasonic was my favorite. The Panny performed fast, smooth, and effortlessly. It also had the best picture quality on my plasmas as well as Sony XBR 960 tube via 1080i.

The PS3 is a steal for what you getting.

oldskooler79

owned EVERY blu ray and hd-dvd player in the market? man, if you wanna BS, don't make it so strong.

Mujambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mujambo
Member since 2007 • 1039 Posts
It does sound kind of fishy, but I know other people like that who go out in search for the best possible setup. I was surprised to hear you say that Pioneer is a benchmark though. I can't say that I know the quality of the ps3 blu-ray player over standalones, but the ability to update is a major plus
thageneral3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thageneral3
Member since 2007 • 1929 Posts

Well consider it like this Ps3 Games are on blu ray discs, so the player must be pretty good

And from what I have heard from people, especially since it is updated, the player is top notch

joevfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 joevfx
Member since 2004 • 978 Posts
PS3 IS the top blu ray player.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#13 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts

Thanks.

Lobster_Ear

The PS3 is not as good simply because it does not have an IR receiver, preventing me from using my Universal Remote with it. Thanks for skimping on the $1 part Sony. Idiots.

wilko1971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wilko1971
Member since 2007 • 299 Posts

The PS3 is not as good simply because it does not have an IR receiver, preventing me from using my Universal Remote with it. Thanks for skimping on the $1 part Sony. Idiots.

Bgrngod

Yeah but the Bluetooth means that you don't have to point it around the things your kids have dumped it front of the receiver

bizzy420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bizzy420
Member since 2005 • 2730 Posts

It does sound kind of fishy, but I know other people like that who go out in search for the best possible setup. I was surprised to hear you say that Pioneer is a benchmark though. I can't say that I know the quality of the ps3 blu-ray player over standalones, but the ability to update is a major plusMujambo

pioneer makes the best tv out right now i think.....KUROS

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts
[QUOTE="Bgrngod"]

wilko1971

Yeah but the Bluetooth means that you don't have to point it around the things your kids have dumped it front of the receiver

Yes, but the bluetooth means I have to buy the PS3 bluetooth remote, thus negating the whole reason I bought a universal remote in the first place, and taking more of my money. Using the sixaxis to watch movies totally blows.

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
It is a very good BD player unlike the PS2 and Xbox last gen and the upscaling is nice because I use a HD projector and blowing regular DVD's up to that size before even with progressive scan was a little rough but they look great now.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50562 Posts
It is considered the best or one of the best. Besides the Universal remote, the only thing it's missing is the ability to send DTS-HD MA sound to a receiver, it sends DD TrueHD via bitstream so far though. Everyones hoping it's going to come in a firmware update, hopefully 2.0.