Is the PS3 prone to breaking???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Loughridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Loughridge
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I have not heard anything about PS3 having issues with breaking down but thought I would check, is there some problem with the machine similar to the 360's red rings fiasco???

motherboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 motherboop
Member since 2007 • 2382 Posts
The PS3 will treat you fine if you take care of it. Give it plenty of breathing room, and don't leave it on/folding for days at a time. When Transporting it, handle with care. Yes, there are a few reliability issues with the PS3, but it seems that alot of them stem from improper system care.
Avatar image for Frank_Castle_AZ
Frank_Castle_AZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Frank_Castle_AZ
Member since 2007 • 101 Posts

I've had my PS3 turned OFF about a total of 400 hours during the last year. Never had a problem and neither have any of my friends.

Unfortunately, almost every friend I have that's owned a 360 has had at least one of them take a dump. :-(

PS3 Reliable? No doubt.

-FrankCastleAZ

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
The 60GB models are the most prone to problems like Blu-Ray drive failures and YLOD. But nothing on the scale of the red rings, they're still reliable for the most part.
GarysLaptop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 GarysLaptop
Member since 2006 • 400 Posts

Had my 80 gig B/C since 07. No problems whatsoever.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

PS3's are usually reliable consoles. Just treat it right and everything will be ok.

ANIALATOR136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 ANIALATOR136
Member since 2008 • 1157 Posts
compared to 360? NO!! :)
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts
i'd say they're very relaible. I've had a 60Gb ps3 since January 07 and have had no problems. I keep it clean, in a well ventilated, open area. do the same and you should have no problems with yours ;)
sweeten16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sweeten16
Member since 2005 • 2872 Posts

They are reliable to an extent, but ive heard of some issues with the blu ray disc reader and if you check ebay you will find quite a lot of faulty consoles.

RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts
and don't leave it on/folding for days at a time.motherboop
There's nothing wrong with that. The PS3 is like a PC. PC's are left on for days, if not weeks or months sometimes. The PS3 can easily handle it as long as it's in a ventilated area.
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Doolz2024
[QUOTE="motherboop"]and don't leave it on/folding for days at a time.RotaryRX7
There's nothing wrong with that. The PS3 is like a PC. PC's are left on for days, if not weeks or months sometimes. The PS3 can easily handle it as long as it's in a ventilated area.

yeah I had heard that people were on folding@home for over a month w/o cutting the PS3 off, and it was still ok.....Try leaving a 360 on that long and see what happens :lol:
RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts

[QUOTE="RotaryRX7"][QUOTE="motherboop"]and don't leave it on/folding for days at a time.Doolz2024

Try leaving a 360 on that long and see what happens :lol:

Simple, this is what happens... ;) :P

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Doolz2024
LMAO that's exactly what would happen :lol:
Avatar image for b3yondstupidity
b3yondstupidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 b3yondstupidity
Member since 2007 • 12500 Posts
Well if you treat it right, it will treat you right.
kreemghandour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kreemghandour
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

I am honestly tired of hearing about the ps3 breaking or reliable forums. Look here buddy sony had did a great job designing the ps3. I have a 60gb sku and have had no problems whats so ever. I have had my ps3 freeze up like 3 times sense year of launch. So dont worry about it buy one and be happy.

Avatar image for mutual-assassin
mutual-assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mutual-assassin
Member since 2008 • 167 Posts

I've had a PS3 in my possession since December '07. I've never encountered any problems with it so far aside from it freezing on rareoccasions. You really shouldn't find any trouble with your PS3 as long as you keep it in a well ventilated area. Oh and it's a good idea to keep it clean, not just in order to make it look nicer.

ReU_GanJa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ReU_GanJa
Member since 2004 • 835 Posts
I take good care of mine, I had since launch and the laser just burnt out, i never leave it on actually i havent played it for a week and it just stopped working im pissed.. i guess ihave to send it in. just a headsup
reddragon5807

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 reddragon5807
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

it will take care of you if your take care of it.

HarshGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 HarshGamer
Member since 2008 • 2822 Posts

I have not heard anything about PS3 having issues with breaking down but thought I would check, is there some problem with the machine similar to the 360's red rings fiasco???

Loughridge
I have never experienced the slightest flaw with the machine. It runs fast, quiet and still smooth.
shatiek20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shatiek20
Member since 2009 • 65 Posts
Like everyone else was saying handle it with care and you will be alright ;), now compared to the xbox360 it owns, the 360 will conk out. i had 2 0f them and somthing diffrent happened each time . first the most popular ring of death then the cheap disc drive, i will not buy another one ever, Ps3 is the bomb.
supermanrocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 supermanrocs
Member since 2003 • 45 Posts

I've had my ps3 for about 3 years now. its in one of those tv stands things so its not extremely well ventilated but its good enuff. Still i use it every day about 3 hours a day. and on the weekends about 8 hours a day. I haven't had any problems with it. So if your thinkin bout gettin one its definitly worth the investment. I use mine to store music and movies and pictures. my boys come over and we watch youtube and hulu on its web browser. its wifi and hdmi so you won't have to deal with any extra wires. it can also communicate with you computer and psp wirelessly. plus if you have wifi at your job and a playstation eye attached to the ps3. you can use it as a kind of security camera. cuz you can check on your house by using you psp to connect to your ps3. its pretty cool. also you can upgrade your harddrive pretty easily and cheap. for $100 you can upgrade to 500 gigs. oh yeah free online play and blu-ray player.

before 360 peeps get on me i must say 360 has its positive too. i mean halo 3 is awesome. so is gears of war. dlc for fallout 3 is cool if you can get it to work. I haven't had any problems with my 360but pretty much all of my friends are on their 3rd 360. i think the customizable soundtracks on 360 is awesome. the interface seems more user friendly. the avatars are kinda gay but they are entertaining. netflix is okay too.

but i think both systems are nice to have. i mean i wish we just had to buy one system to play all games but thats not realistic. the choice is yours grasshopper. pick the system that best suits your lifestyle.