Is the PS Vita worth buying as of 3/13/2016?

gcfreak898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Is the PS Vita worth buying as of 3/13/2016? (27 votes)

Yes 67%
No 33%

Recently, I've been itching to fill the FPS void on handheld. PS Vita caught my eye but, due to the lack of games or variety of games I've been on the fence. Plus, it seems like handheld is dying because of the mobile market. Should I get a PS Vita to play all of the PS Plus free games or just pass up on it?

• 
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#1 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I will be honest I have had one for the first few years of its release and then I noticed the pattern where games that I was expecting and hopping for (AAA titles) stopped being supported. At that point I was left with few JRPG's (various quality) with Persona 4 Golden being a gem! and Indies titles which wasn't my forte.

The system has good games and a decent library over the years it has been out. For that purpose alone and PS+ freebies I would say it does justify the purchase, you can stream PS4 titles to it and play PS1 classics. However when it comes to the games support going forward (or for the last few months) for the VITA specifically there really isn't much looking forward to unfortunately. Not compared to the first few years of the system being out. It's a fantastic hardware handheld however understand that you're buying a not-supported handheld going forward.

The price is also another point to consider, it's not a cheap system retailing at 200$ (CAN) + at least 8GB memory card with 16GB preferred. With taxes you're looking at 250$ roughly.

Hope that helps a bit in decision. ;)

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#2 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I don't regret my purchase, but I am disappointed that it didn't get all the AAA releases I hoped it would when I bought it. That said, I've still played some great games on the device and am still finding stuff to play on it by digging deeper into its library. But there isn't much you can play on the Vita that you can't play on another Playstation system or the PC. As far as FPS go, there isn't much of a selection on the Vita. I think Killzone Mercenary and Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified are the only FPS's I've played on it. Killzone Mercenary is hands down the best FPS I've experienced on a handheld. It isn't saying much, but I still think it's a great game. The Call of Duty game is very mediocre and the only reason I didn't absolutely hate it was because the MP was actually kinda fun at the time, but I imagine it's dead now.

So really, just take a good look at the Vita's library and then decide if it's worth it. The PS+ offerings at this point for it are very underwhelming. Most of the games I've played on the Vita have been PS+ games in the past, many of which were quality ones like Uncharted and Gravity Rush. Now they're pretty much scraping at the bottom of the barrel for Vita freebies.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

It really depends on what kind of games you like to play and how many games you think you would enjoy playing on a handheld. Afaik, Black Ops: Declassified, Killzone: Mercenary, Borderlands 2, and Resistance: Burning Skies are the only FPS on Vita. There are also some PSP and PS1 FPS on the PS Store, though you'll have to buy one of the overpriced 8 or 16 gb memory cards if you plan on downloading more than a few games off of the store. Overall, the Vita library is pretty thin, and there are no AAA titles coming out for it anymore.

If you want a general idea of what kinds of games you can play, the Vita does have a lot of niche games like Virtue's Last Reward, Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice, Dragon's Crown, Spy Hunter, Gravity Rush, etc.. For more well-known games, there are a handful like Little Big Planet, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Assassins Creed III: Liberation, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Telltale's The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden etc. Then there's also some fighting game ports like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter X Tekken, Injustice: Gods Among Us, and a couple of BlazBlue games. There's also a few remastered collections, like God of War (PSP GoW games with trophies), a few racing games, sports games, platformers, and so on...

DJSAV_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 DJSAV_101
Member since 2008 • 3701 Posts

I bought a slim when the Borderlands bundle came out in the US but sold it to a friend because I just didn't like the screen in comparison to the original but the slim came with a memory card so that's why I choose it.

I recently purchased an original Vita with the OLED screen for cheap because I wanted to play more Persona 4, MGS collection, God of War collection as well as games like freedom wars and Zero Escape. I've always liked my vita and I use it mostly for JRPG, PSone games since I don't own a PS3 and some niche titles.

Only bad point for me personally are the memory cards. They are a bit pricy. Other than that I really enjoy my Vita even though there not much support (if any) for it anymore from Sony.

godslayer61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 godslayer61
Member since 2005 • 43 Posts

I can say its way better then my new 3ds and as a handheld its amazing if you think about it and the graphics destroy the 3ds plus the controls are epic for any handheld and game library is huge every week there are new games . lets see you have ps1 and psp games and most of the ps4 library with remote play and i have it connected through my cell so i have my ps4 at my finger tips on the bus or in the car and i have yet to have any big issues with it going through the phone.. its nuts sitting on the bus playing rainbow six MP . but in a whole its well worth it and cheaper then the new 3ds if you ad that you need to buy the charger separate for it. so yes and just a few games i have got recently that i highly recommend on the vita are XCOM , PERSONA4 , DISEGIA 3and4 , resident evil revelations 2, tales of hearts , borderlands 2, NFS, digimon , EDF2, CORPSE PARTY BLOOD DRIVE, UNCHARTE,god of war colliction ,injustice , killzone, LBP , AC ,metalgear colliction , also there are so many more great games and if your a JRPG fan the vita is the best system to own it has so many its insane when compared tp 3ds or consoles