is the 60gb ps3 prone to yellow light of doom?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

angelo3903

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 angelo3903
Member since 2009 • 206 Posts
hi i just wanted to know that. lately i've been reading a lot of threads complaining about this problem, but IT SEEMS that the vas majority of the affected users ps3s are 60gb-1st gen...is that why they were discontinued? (please correct me if i'm sadly wrong):P
jw_burrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jw_burrell
Member since 2005 • 374 Posts

i've heard that percentage-wise the 60 GB are most likely to have this happen. but at the same time, i've had my 60 GB since launch day, and mine hasn't had a problem whatsoever.

CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CanadianCR
Member since 2008 • 3824 Posts

Enough of this crap ..

The gamers on this forum and other fourms, aren't the majority of gamers .. you may surf the net and lets for argument sake you see 50,000 posts on peoples PS3s dieing .. and everyone likes to think that these are all the gamers out there .. and they automatically think EVERY 60GB model is doomed.

You know what .. your PS3 could die tomorrow, next week, next year or ten years from now .. it's inevitable ..

Enjoy it, and stop worrying about what 'could' happen .. all these idiots who come on here and feel the need to express their feelings about their PS3 dieing makes others get worried about nothing .. stop cluttering these boards with this **** nonsense ..

dubb55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 dubb55
Member since 2005 • 127 Posts

I think it is just because they are the oldest

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
Launch Day 60GB here, no issues. I really don't feel like doing the math again for manufacturing defect rates.
GordonFan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 GordonFan92
Member since 2007 • 73 Posts

Mine got it, but that was because my parent unplugged it in the middle of a game... :(, it malfunctioned for a while when playing that game, then it eventually just quit.

angelo3903

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 angelo3903

Enough of this crap ..

The gamers on this forum and other fourms, aren't the majority of gamers .. you may surf the net and lets for argument sake you see 50,000 posts on peoples PS3s dieing .. and everyone likes to think that these are all the gamers out there .. and they automatically think EVERY 60GB model is doomed.

You know what .. your PS3 could die tomorrow, next week, next year or ten years from now .. it's inevitable ..

Enjoy it, and stop worrying about what 'could' happen .. all these idiots who come on here and feel the need to express their feelings about their PS3 dieing makes others get worried about nothing .. stop cluttering these boards with this **** nonsense ..

CanadianCR
ok...you really need to calm down, it was just an opinion/question i had around my head... aren't forum supposed to be flooding with our questions no matter how insane they are? it's better that way I THINK
CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CanadianCR

[QUOTE="CanadianCR"]

Enough of this crap ..

angelo3903

ok...you really need to calm down, it was just an opinion/question i had around my head... aren't forum supposed to be flooding with our questions no matter how insane they are? it's better that way I THINK

Excuse me?

You obviously don't come to these boards enough to know that there are a thousand of these a day .. why do you think forums have a search bar? So you don't need to clutter it with the same questions over and over again .. :roll:

Or why not use the cool new age search engine .. google .. ever heard of it?

angelo3903

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 angelo3903
well trust me i did use the search tool, but i just had to ask it! :D sorry for flooding the forums, ok? u have to understand me most of the forums where i come from are usually flooded (i mean it) but probably without even realizing it that's why i like this forum a lot more than other :S confusing
Haze-and-Ses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Haze-and-Ses
Member since 2006 • 224 Posts
i think the dead blu ray laser ( ps3 not reading discs ) is a bigger problem but they both appear to be common issues with ps3 hardware. sony needs to acknowledge the problems or change the warranty
MURDA_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MURDA_B
Member since 2008 • 2879 Posts

all ps3 can get the ylod doesnt matter what gb it is

RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts
There's so much misinformation and confusion in this thread I'm not even going to bother... :roll:
ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts
60gb. Got ylod. Fixed. Got it back. $150 American.
E8_UFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 E8_UFO
Member since 2008 • 55 Posts

We are all doomed sweet baby Jesus why have thou forsaken us........

byrdcjb100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 byrdcjb100
Member since 2008 • 383 Posts

it's not that widespread

Darth_Cola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Darth_Cola
Member since 2004 • 195 Posts

got my 60gb first gen working prime play it constantly give it baths once in a while feed it banana babyfood wipe it down sumore play for hours beat it throw it out the window when it talks back pick it up and apologize and promise never to do it again were happy i swear.

unkosolz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 unkosolz
Member since 2008 • 58 Posts
Guess it's not that widespread since I never heard of it before this. My homeboy has a 60gb and has no problems with it and he has a ton of hours on his PS3.
rsoxguy12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 rsoxguy12
Member since 2007 • 1602 Posts

Enough of this crap ..

CanadianCR
Chilllll
krylon36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 krylon36
Member since 2008 • 318 Posts

i think its that the 60gb is the oldest model. but i still havent seen a really significant number of complaints about it failing, and for the onesI do were often not certain what conditions it was used in. if your ps3 fails on you in the first couple years its simply bad luck.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
No! Impossible! My 60GB will never die! *denial*
oldskooler79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 oldskooler79
Member since 2004 • 1632 Posts

Guess it's not that widespread since I never heard of it before this. My homeboy has a 60gb and has no problems with it and he has a ton of hours on his PS3. unkosolz

Lawl.. He said "My homeboy".

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts

i've heard that percentage-wise the 60 GB are most likely to have this happen. but at the same time, i've had my 60 GB since launch day, and mine hasn't had a problem whatsoever.

jw_burrell
Same here not a problem.
Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

my friends PS3 died on him a while back, still didn't stop me from buying a PS3 even after i knew that. you should just get it and not worry about your system dying, i'm pretty sure the the chances of that happening are slim. also KEEP YOUR RECIEPT. Sony will not fix your console for free unless you have the reciept, i threw mine away and learned of this later so hopefully my PS3 will just last forever :)

CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CanadianCR

[QUOTE="CanadianCR"]

Enough of this crap ..

rsoxguy12

Chilllll

I can't while reading crap like this ..

theMarshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 theMarshell
Member since 2008 • 602 Posts
Well the DRE is a larger problem and that is across all the PS3 models. I know you or your parents spen a lot of money on the console and I know what it feels like too have a console die on you(orginal xbox). But in the end there is nothing you can do about it, I bought a 360 early 08 I knew about the RROD yet I still bought it, I just bought a PS3 christmas eve, I knew aboutthe DRE and the YLOD but I bought it anyway. In the end they are machines and just like the human body soming might go wrong with no logical explanation. Just enjoy your games and take care of your console, because dust is the number one killer.
d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#26 d_ano
Member since 2005 • 2522 Posts

there is no real reason to worry about the ps3 breaking. i bought a 60gb at launch and i really do expect the ps3 to just explode some days from the amount of hours the thing is on every day but no its still alive and working well.

as far as i know the ylod is a hdd error. rather than send it back to sony and pay a fortune simple buy a new laptop hdd 250gb will be perfect because you will need the space in the future anyway. if your short on cash buy a small hdd. im not sure if this works but you could complete erase the hdd and reformat it using a pc and a 2.5" hdd enclosure then put it back into the ps3 and the ps3 will do all the work from there that might fix it.

as for the drive errors. i have a load of games and im constantly swapping them and whatever else and there is no sign of it giving up on me. the failures might have something to do with people playing ps2 games (something which i never do)