is it just me or have trophies...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lewisg1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 lewisg1212
Member since 2005 • 1698 Posts

made gaming worse? its like...valkyria chronicles....i LOVE the game...but i dont play it as much as...say burnout just because it doesnt have trophies. Yes you can say on the flipside that trophies make people more addicted...more hours put into games etc, you get your moneys worth and thats awesome.

i dont know if its just me...but im annoyed at myself that i sometimes only play a game to get the trophjy...rather than enjoy it. its like i wonder why i played my ps3 at all!!

or maybe im just getting old :P

thanos723

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 thanos723
Member since 2006 • 871 Posts
considering i just played fallout sans trophy support(it just came out the day after i beat it). i'm gonna go with no. does everyone forget about playing game before achievements/trophies were made?
patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts
I don't worry about trophies at all. I play the games and enjoy them and I notice later that I earned 44% of the trophies in that game or none if the game doesn't support them. I played Silent Hill Homecoming and enjoyed it from start to finish without trophies.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts

No.The the only and I mean ONLY time trophies ruin games is when they are online and people do more boosting.But then again the same thing can be said about stat tracking and leaderboards.It seems like every game theses days have a bunch of boosters and losers trying to make it to the top of the leaderboards.

As for singlepayer games it depends on who you are I guess.If you are the type of person who gets addicted to much and can't help themselfs from doing stupid things like kill and teabag 500 NPC's then yeah I could see how you think they make things wost for you.Now if your a logical person who likes to unlock trophies/achievements and you know your limit then they can be fun and rewarding.

There are alot of games out there that are really fun to unlock achievements on[I say achievements cause I have only played a few games dealing with trophies]but on the 360 Crackdown to this day has the best achievements.It made the player do crazy fun things and got alittle reward for doing it.As for playing games soley for achievements/Trophies that is on you.And only you can resist it or not.

Narcadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Narcadox
Member since 2006 • 864 Posts
I never aim for trophies...If I earn them on a playthrough, great, but I wont go out of my way whilst playing the game to earn them.
Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts
i really don't give a crap about trophies, i complete the game and if any trophies unlock fair enough, but i don't check how i got them. I prefer like cod, unlocking weapons and stuff.
shabazz5th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shabazz5th
Member since 2004 • 648 Posts
personally I still choose to ignore that trophies EVER existed...I have never looked at my trophy count, let alone compare trophies with other people. Trophies/Achievement points are incredibly lame...even worse when they are in an online game, cause you always get a guy going "ooo...let me get x weapon so I can get y kills and earn z trophy" Shame on you TS for failing to play Valkyria Chronicles...best game of the year, and all because it doesn't have a little Platinum Icon...sad.
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

Yea my only real use for comparing trophies is to see what games something else plays.

If I am bored, I might try to get a hard to get trophy for a challenge, but i don't obsess over them.

The-Fear-S3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The-Fear-S3
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
well if it makes you feel better sony has announced that all new games will need to have trophies, so with that said hopefully atleast 90% of the new games to come out for ps3 will have trophies which will have you playing all the games ;)
HardcoreBunni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HardcoreBunni
Member since 2008 • 643 Posts

Not for me they haven't. Maybe that's because I've been playing games since the N64 in a time where there were no Trophies/Achievements. I don't really care too much about achievements. The only thing that I might get from an Achievement is a laugh or two like I got from the "Irony" Achievement in BioShock.

RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts
Well in 2009 and beyond all games will be required to have trophies, so you won't have to worry about that problem anymore. :)
navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts
Well post January 1st 09, it won't matter, But I do believe that these trophy fanatics, need to enjoy gaming, cause if your a trophy hunter, then your technically working, I know people who are trying to get trophies while their annoyed by the gaming and thats not what gaming is about.
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
well I play through a game once for the experience then when I am bored I work on getting all the trophies I didn't get on the first play through.
xX_-X-_Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xX_-X-_Xx
Member since 2008 • 307 Posts
Well post January 1st 09, it won't matter, But I do believe that these trophy fanatics, need to enjoy gaming, cause if your a trophy hunter, then your technically working, I know people who are trying to get trophies while their annoyed by the gaming and thats not what gaming is about.navstar29
i go for trophies and have more fun then people who "just" play the games... i beat the game and if i enjoyed it or if people are complaining about some trophy i go for it/them... i hated wipeout hd but people were complaining about zico trophy so i did it, and got it and moved on... seems like people who don't go for or check their trophies are the ones complaining about them.. did you go for 100% in a game prior to trophies, a gta game or any rpg and so on? i did and trophies are just another part of obtaining 100%, so why would gamers who did everything in a game prior to trophies, stop when trophies came out? i agree online trophies are utter BS, but so is stat tracking, the perfect game online would not tell you, your kdr and that, then there would be no reason for camping and not going for objectives.
jonny2202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jonny2202
Member since 2007 • 131 Posts
I generally play through a game the first time casually and then when i've completed it I replay it but I try a little harder to get the points or collectables etc. But no, I don't obsess over trophies, they should be extra prizes, as is for good work.
zaid55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 zaid55
Member since 2005 • 1132 Posts
I just got the "Point Man" trophy for Resistance 2, the one where you need to get a 1,000,000 exp. I wasnt doing it for the trophy i was doing it because i enjoy playing online and also ranking up as well.
king23_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 king23_
Member since 2007 • 18169 Posts
Trophies just add a bonus to the game for me. I don't play games just for trophies, but trophies help to add replay value to games.
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
its just you.. i dont really care for trophie.. but to say im not gonna play a game as much jus cuz it dont have is just stupid..
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
Shame on you TS for failing to play Valkyria Chronicles...best game of the year, and all because it doesn't have a little Platinum Icon...sad.shabazz5th
This. I actually prefer VC without trophies. It lets you get on with actually having fun with the game, rather than trying to go out of your way for some artificial pat on the back. You're really missing out if you're not playing it just because of trophies.
ExtremeOne316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ExtremeOne316
Member since 2008 • 742 Posts

achivements are better than some stupid trophy

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

ExtremeOne316
What? They're almost exactly the same thing :|. They're just about as lame as each other TBH.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts

ExtremeOne316
Especially when they are the exact same thing
liquidsuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 liquidsuns
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts
I don't think that means trophies/achievements have ruined gaming, it just shows how much people like the idea of them. personally, ever since achievements, I found it hard to play the wii and ps 3 (before trophies). i just really like the fact that what i have done is recorded on my console; the games i have played and what i have accomplished. achievements were a GREAT idea and i am really glad the ps3 is doing it now too.
Mcortijo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mcortijo01
Member since 2003 • 2589 Posts
Trophies just add a bonus to the game for me. I don't play games just for trophies, but trophies help to add replay value to games.king23_
I agree
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
Trophies do help replay value.. i would've never finished uncharted if it wasn't for trophies.. although i won't bother for any of the ridiculous trophies.. FC2 online trophies are just stupid most of them.. it takes so bloddy long to rank up that its not worth it.. same with Warhawk.
grand17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26 grand17
Member since 2007 • 2079 Posts
well i wont even buy a game that doesnt have trophys.
craigofadown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 craigofadown
Member since 2007 • 530 Posts
For me, they're just something to do after I have finished with a game, a way to make a game feel complete.
Rush2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rush2k
Member since 2004 • 651 Posts
Trophies are a nice idea if you use them for motivation to play the game after your 1st play-through (shouldn't be the only reason, tho, fun should be the major reason). I can't stand people who act like they are the best gAmErZ EVA because of a few trophies...like seriously...who cares?
nikgamma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nikgamma
Member since 2008 • 392 Posts
I bet you are just getting old. No big deal though, It happens to all of us.
McMJ3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#30 McMJ3
Member since 2008 • 2441 Posts
Trophies are fun, they make me get more enjoyment out of my games:D But if a game doesn't have trophies but is better than a game with trophies I wouldn't quit that game just to get trophies on another game.
other44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 other44
Member since 2007 • 1494 Posts
it ruined my gaming! i never cared about trophies or achievments before... ive been gaming since the amiga 2600 - look it up kids. and now i find myself waiting until a game gets trophy support before i pick it up; like valkyria chronicles... which i really want to play. and now i can't jsut play a game and take my time finishing it... i have to make sure im picking up the trophies along the way. i try not to care... but im a bit OCD... so i haven't played a game til its platinumed...
-HeaveR-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -HeaveR-
Member since 2006 • 270 Posts
[QUOTE="lewisg1212"]

made gaming worse? its like...valkyria chronicles....i LOVE the game...but i dont play it as much as...say burnout just because it doesnt have trophies. Yes you can say on the flipside that trophies make people more addicted...more hours put into games etc, you get your moneys worth and thats awesome.

i dont know if its just me...but im annoyed at myself that i sometimes only play a game to get the trophjy...rather than enjoy it. its like i wonder why i played my ps3 at all!!

or maybe im just getting old :P

You have a point... I dont even have enough friends with Playstation 3's to meassure my e-penis with but still I tend to play the games with trophy support a little more then others! It's stange but I think we're not the only ones with this trophy illnes... I had it before trophies to. I cant stand playing a game without unlocking all of its secrets and treasures often resorting to faqs to find them all or otherwise quiting a game early on being irritated so that its impossible in many games to find and do everything! Often spoiling the experience for yourself. But I've found a way of dealing with this... just not giving a fuk using as much medpaks as I want in deadspace or resident evil and not worrying about running out of them! haha
navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts
[QUOTE="other44"]it ruined my gaming! i never cared about trophies or achievments before... ive been gaming since the amiga 2600 - look it up kids. and now i find myself waiting until a game gets trophy support before i pick it up; like valkyria chronicles... which i really want to play. and now i can't jsut play a game and take my time finishing it... i have to make sure im picking up the trophies along the way. i try not to care... but im a bit OCD... so i haven't played a game til its platinumed...

I don't think Valkyria Chronicles is getting trophies, but I highly recommend picking that game up.
JCMac120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JCMac120
Member since 2006 • 2771 Posts
well I play through a game once for the experience then when I am bored I work on getting all the trophies I didn't get on the first play through.hiryu3
This is exactly what I do.
lewisg1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lewisg1212
wow ive stirred up a bit of a nest :P to reply to some of you..... 1) i work in like the most successful games shop in the UK (even though its only weekends :P) and we have Valkyria at half price at the moment! guess how many copies ive sold......not one :| and to be honest....ive been playing it alot :P 2) i know most of you are disguested with me and my trophy ego and yeah i guess your right....but they just add some sense of achievement, without them i would have never played through uncharted 3 times just to get platinum (i played through it first on normal thinking i could unlock crushing :() and Little Big Planet!!! my best mate has a PS3 aswell and hes a bit of a trophy whore also, and we have so much fun and competition trying to beat each other.....and weve personally gone through all levels on little big planet collecting every single bubble! it really makes you appreciate the game more...and its hilarious :P without trophies i just wouldn't think that would happen. 3) and to some dude....it depends what you classify as old...i turned 18 2 days ago :)
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#36 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts

ExtremeOne316
How?HOW?THEY ARE THE SAME THING.One levels up your over all number and the other levels up your profile dealing with how many trophies you have.If your going to make a fanboy comment,,,,please next time make it worth seeing and typing.
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts
It's a mixed blessing... I wouldn't have gotten nearly as much out of Little Big Planet if I wasn't going for that Platinum trophy, for instance. I wouldn't have even tried GTA IV's multiplayer (which is actually better than I thought it would be), but yeah I probably would have saved myself a little money by just sticking with being addicted to COD4 multiplayer or playing Oblivion over and over again, lol.
reaver-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 reaver-x
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts
Why would i want to buy a game because of trophies??? Its not like those trophies are gonna get me anyhting special except maybe decorate my apartment in HOME in the near future =/
lewisg1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lewisg1212
Why would i want to buy a game because of trophies??? Its not like those trophies are gonna get me anyhting special except maybe decorate my apartment in HOME in the near future =/reaver-x
bragging rights over my mates :P