Is it dead or is there hope?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cormyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cormyee
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Hi all. I have a PS3 Console cechp01. Turned on and disc icon wasnt on screen and no blue light. Eject did nothing. Force eject didnt work. Took apart to get disc. Left open to try to solve. On power up little laser part would move up and down once. Laser never slides foward or back. Cant see any beam from laser..Should i be able to? Drive will not take disc in or eject. Disc will not spin. Never get the blue light to say disc is in..I think i have a older console because i dont have and optical disc sensor. All of my movies play fine and all my pics are ok.. I have 2 downloaded games as well as a few demos. When ever i try to play any of them the screen goes blank and freezes. Have to reboot. Do you guys think it the board on bottom of drive since it wont take disc in, spin,and no blue light and how is the demos freezing related. If you guys think its that board how do I know which one will work with my mb. I intend to fix it if i can. I contacted Sony and they want $100 plus shipping to fix..Not sure I wanna do that. The PS3 is my stress relief and now i dont have it..Im almost heart broken..What do you guys think the problem is and how can i fix it..please help thanks
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
call sony it seems ur disk drive or lens might be broken. either fix it urself if u know how to. or call sony and try to fix it. u also have the option to sell it online for a good price and use that money to buy a new slim and ull be good. this way ull have warranty too
Amir29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 Amir29
Member since 2007 • 822 Posts

Hi all. I have a PS3 Console cechp01. Turned on and disc icon wasnt on screen and no blue light. Eject did nothing. Force eject didnt work. Took apart to get disc. Left open to try to solve. On power up little laser part would move up and down once. Laser never slides foward or back. Cant see any beam from laser..Should i be able to? Drive will not take disc in or eject. Disc will not spin. Never get the blue light to say disc is in..I think i have a older console because i dont have and optical disc sensor. All of my movies play fine and all my pics are ok.. I have 2 downloaded games as well as a few demos. When ever i try to play any of them the screen goes blank and freezes. Have to reboot. Do you guys think it the board on bottom of drive since it wont take disc in, spin,and no blue light and how is the demos freezing related. If you guys think its that board how do I know which one will work with my mb. I intend to fix it if i can. I contacted Sony and they want $100 plus shipping to fix..Not sure I wanna do that. The PS3 is my stress relief and now i dont have it..Im almost heart broken..What do you guys think the problem is and how can i fix it..please help thanks cormyee
\

No big deal. Your disc drive is the issue. Contrary to the poster above me, I recommend against Sony for repair. Go to www.gophermods.com. It's cheaper, has better warranty, has better BBB reputation, and they fix your console instead of giving you someone else's refurbished unit.

Hope this helps. :)

cormyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 cormyee
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Thank you both for yuor input. From what I have seen so far its a lost cause to try and fix myself. I will consider Sony Gophermods both. Thanks again.
sturshel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 sturshel
Member since 2007 • 177 Posts

[QUOTE="cormyee"]Hi all. I have a PS3 Console cechp01. Turned on and disc icon wasnt on screen and no blue light. Eject did nothing. Force eject didnt work. Took apart to get disc. Left open to try to solve. On power up little laser part would move up and down once. Laser never slides foward or back. Cant see any beam from laser..Should i be able to? Drive will not take disc in or eject. Disc will not spin. Never get the blue light to say disc is in..I think i have a older console because i dont have and optical disc sensor. All of my movies play fine and all my pics are ok.. I have 2 downloaded games as well as a few demos. When ever i try to play any of them the screen goes blank and freezes. Have to reboot. Do you guys think it the board on bottom of drive since it wont take disc in, spin,and no blue light and how is the demos freezing related. If you guys think its that board how do I know which one will work with my mb. I intend to fix it if i can. I contacted Sony and they want $100 plus shipping to fix..Not sure I wanna do that. The PS3 is my stress relief and now i dont have it..Im almost heart broken..What do you guys think the problem is and how can i fix it..please help thanks Amir29

\

No big deal. Your disc drive is the issue. Contrary to the poster above me, I recommend against Sony for repair. Go to www.gophermods.com. It's cheaper, has better warranty, has better BBB reputation, and they fix your console instead of giving you someone else's refurbished unit.

My refurb works great.........(Knock on WOOD):D

Amir29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 Amir29
Member since 2007 • 822 Posts

[QUOTE="Amir29"]

[QUOTE="cormyee"]Hi all. I have a PS3 Console cechp01. Turned on and disc icon wasnt on screen and no blue light. Eject did nothing. Force eject didnt work. Took apart to get disc. Left open to try to solve. On power up little laser part would move up and down once. Laser never slides foward or back. Cant see any beam from laser..Should i be able to? Drive will not take disc in or eject. Disc will not spin. Never get the blue light to say disc is in..I think i have a older console because i dont have and optical disc sensor. All of my movies play fine and all my pics are ok.. I have 2 downloaded games as well as a few demos. When ever i try to play any of them the screen goes blank and freezes. Have to reboot. Do you guys think it the board on bottom of drive since it wont take disc in, spin,and no blue light and how is the demos freezing related. If you guys think its that board how do I know which one will work with my mb. I intend to fix it if i can. I contacted Sony and they want $100 plus shipping to fix..Not sure I wanna do that. The PS3 is my stress relief and now i dont have it..Im almost heart broken..What do you guys think the problem is and how can i fix it..please help thanks sturshel

\

My refurb works great.........(Knock on WOOD):D

AWESOME! Consider yourself lucky. Reason being that you get someone else's refurb, so if someone else had a YLoD, and you get their refurb, that means you also get YLoD within 6 - 12 months. Unfortunately, repairs to a unit that got YLoD is only temporary. I learned that lesson the hard way :(

But yeah... I recommend Google searching Sony repairs versus Gophermods. That's what ultimately helped me make my decision.