Is gamer testing ground a scam or not?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dashizy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#1 dashizy666
Member since 2004 • 1485 Posts
I have terrible migraine headaches and this prevents me from getting any kind of job. Anyhow I saw this game testing site and well it has an offer I can't refuse.(LINK: gamertesting ground.com. For some reason they censored the link.) The problem is that this has possible scam written all over it. So has anyone tried this and if you have please give me details of the service.
SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
I didn't even bother reading past the first phrase on the site. Although game tester is a very real job, is also considered the worst in the industry. You are most certainly NOT going to get paid $120/hr testing games..... I believe the average salary for a game tester is a lousy $8-12. Either way the site is a complete scam. The developers that can afford testers for their game do it in-house, meaning you go into their offices and play the games in a controlled condition. It's definitely not a "work at home" thing. I'd also like to point out that if you suffer from migraines, being a game tester should not even be an option for you... It's just about as bad as a data entry or telemarketing position.
nuke21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 nuke21
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Ya, I agree with the poster above. I was actually wondering the same thing. If it was fake or not and I asked them a question they could not respond to. I asked them "If they really send you the game early and you test it and get to keep the game afterwords, if this is real, how come I have never seen ANY prereleased games on eBay or ANY torrent sites at all? There has to be atleast ONE guy that is game testing that would release it to the public for everyone else to play. Answer that and I will sign up."

They replied all right. But this is the BS they replied with:

"Hello,

As per our Frequently Asked Questions page, you can sign up for our membership and if our website does not help you at all you can request a refund. Our credit card processing is done through ClickBank.com a retailer that handles credit card processing for 100,000 websites so you can rest assured that we will honor what we say. You can also pay via PayPal for further safety/security.

If you haven't already, please see our Frequently Asked Questions page for other common questions and answers"

Which basically ment they were fake and could not answer my question. My question honestly makes sence when you think about it. You know atleast one person out there would pirate the unreleased game on a torrent site for everyone else to have. Like COD4 or GTA4 before it was to come out. And since you never see any of that, that is how I know they are fake.

Avatar image for videogamemonger
videogamemonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 videogamemonger
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
LOL GTA4 was out early on torrent sites XD. But it definitely is a scam boyo. Even if they do offer some helpful information, there's no guarantee you get the jobs, and there's no way any company is gonna trust you with their games before release unless you sign your soul to them in NDA's and **** They'd never just send games to random people that don't actually have any affiliation with their company. It'd all be completely controlled.
Darkness7089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#5 Darkness7089
Member since 2005 • 89 Posts

The site and all other sites claiming to do this are ALL fake. Companies do not do long distance paid beta testing, aka mail you the game and then pay you for your time. You go into the company itself and must see them in person to get the job. They will then make you sign a license agreement, meaning they can sue you if you are found to have "Leaked" the content to the public(such as a torrent site). As an above poster said, you don't see things like this on a torrent site. this is because 1, these sites are fake, and 2, the people really doing the job would be sued and/or fired if they leaked what they were testing. You can also be sure of how obviously fake most are simply because of the retarded things they say. There's no way possible you could get paid up to 120$ an hour, paid beta testers get paid around 8-15$, depending on how deep of a job they are doing and how much paperwork they are responsible for. In other words, a minimum wage job is probably more worth your time. I'd like a beta testing job myself, but there are no game companies in Georgia, so I'm outa luck.

Most of these sites are "legitimate" meaning that they won't take more from you than they say you will, but you still won't get a job as they promise, as you have to go in person to do so. Notice how none of them say you can actually do this through the mail or online, they simply say you can do it "at home". If you don't live near a game company, you'll only find out after paying them that you're wasting your time.(and money)

It should also be worth mentioning that frequent headaches will make such a job just as painful as any other job, specifically when half the games you play you don't like or enjoy, and due to the frequent paperwork involved.

Every blog or review site you see talking about these sites is also fake, to add a false sense of security to lure in people. It isn't just with beta testing, there are millions of websites giving out similar scams.

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#6 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
I didn't even bother reading past the first phrase on the site. Although game tester is a very real job, is also considered the worst in the industry. You are most certainly NOT going to get paid $120/hr testing games..... I believe the average salary for a game tester is a lousy $8-12. Either way the site is a complete scam. The developers that can afford testers for their game do it in-house, meaning you go into their offices and play the games in a controlled condition. It's definitely not a "work at home" thing. I'd also like to point out that if you suffer from migraines, being a game tester should not even be an option for you... It's just about as bad as a data entry or telemarketing position. SuperBeast
I agree with what he said.
maxidor06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 maxidor06
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Ok, so I'm hoping you all don't blast me...I'm totally new and totally naive too! That's why I'm here...hoping for advice because I'm going to end up being the one to try this...I just know it! UGH! I read the entire thing because my son plays video games all the f*#king time and it would be perfect for him. He wants to design them also, but until I get the money saved up, I figured he could make money doing this. Does anybody know for a fact that this doesn't work? Or that the video game companies have the people go there? I mean, I'm sure if they had like 2 or 3 people testing and it got leaked onto the internet on a torrent site, there would be massive he&% to pay. Then again, who am I? LOL I'm a newbie here. I'm a female and play very few video games unless it's Rock Band or Guitar Hero! HAHA! I'm not very versed and I apologize.for my optimism, however, I would love for him to be able to help out, u know? Oh! And I agree with the others...migraines and staring at a TV or computer screen testing video games? UGH! I've had them and had to sit in a ball with the blankets over my head! U poor guy!! I feel for ya and hope that u can get those under control!!! But please let me know if anybody knows for sure for sure? Or if I'm just WAY to naive? Thanks!!!
Darks0ldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Darks0ldier
Member since 2004 • 35 Posts

this site is reallllllllllllllyy FAKE.

oh my goodness it is sooooooooo FAKE.

scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
I read the whole thing. And that was obviously a scam. This site is trying to bait the desperate unemployed gamer.
jasontdoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 jasontdoto
Member since 2005 • 510 Posts
Ok, so I'm hoping you all don't blast me...I'm totally new and totally naive too! That's why I'm here...hoping for advice because I'm going to end up being the one to try this...I just know it! UGH! I read the entire thing because my son plays video games all the f*#king time and it would be perfect for him. He wants to design them also, but until I get the money saved up, I figured he could make money doing this. Does anybody know for a fact that this doesn't work? Or that the video game companies have the people go there? I mean, I'm sure if they had like 2 or 3 people testing and it got leaked onto the internet on a torrent site, there would be massive he&% to pay. Then again, who am I? LOL I'm a newbie here. I'm a female and play very few video games unless it's Rock Band or Guitar Hero! HAHA! I'm not very versed and I apologize.for my optimism, however, I would love for him to be able to help out, u know? Oh! And I agree with the others...migraines and staring at a TV or computer screen testing video games? UGH! I've had them and had to sit in a ball with the blankets over my head! U poor guy!! I feel for ya and hope that u can get those under control!!! But please let me know if anybody knows for sure for sure? Or if I'm just WAY to naive? Thanks!!!maxidor06
first of all i checked out this site first to see what everyone here was talking about. i tried out a lot of the links and it has scam written all over it. i want you to read this post before you start giving out credit card number to "help" out your son. first of all if your son likes playing video games all day long, then you are not "helping" him in any way by spending more money to find him a job like this. he needs to learn that there is no easy way to get a job. most video game testers that i spoke with told me its not all fun and games. it gets boring to test one level hour after hour. most of the games are not even finished so its not like testing a finished product with all the cool beans. its a very boring job and they don't hire joe blows to do it. he is NOT going to make money doing this. you are going to regret this once you give your credit card out to them, and then will have to call them over and over to make them stop billing you, and you will not reach a live person, but an answering machine. you will end up cancelling your credit card in the end. if your son is serious about going into designing games, he needs to stop playing video games and focus on school. video game design involves intense advanced math and physics, and if he is playing video games all day chances are he is not going to make it unless he is a genius. you are not helping him as a mom in any way by making things easy for him. you are crippling his life and career even further. he wants a job? go outside with a resume or look for job banks online in your area just like the rest of us had to do it the hard way. sitting home and playing video games is never going to find him a job. how do i know all of this? i have been in his situation when i was 18 and been through all this. i too wanted to be a game designer and thought it would be the coolest job ever. i am still a hardcore gamer, but i have my priorities straightened out. i hope you make the right decision. if you want things straight up... yes you are being naive, you are not helping your son, and if you want your son to help out around the house, tell him to stop being a boy and be a man for a change and face the real world.
jasontdoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jasontdoto

gamespot forums won't let me copy a link to a person's article about this so here is how you go there:

go to google, search for: Tip of the Iceberg Glimpses into Daniel P. Zepeda's Mind

click on the Tip of the Iceberg link. once the blog opens up search for "gamer testing ground . com" (without any spaces) in the search box on the upper right.

search results come up with an article. click on the link and it opens up her article about why this website is a scam.

GlaiveLady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GlaiveLady
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Well, okay. So these people are asking if this site is a scam. As far as I can tell, all of the people who have posted thus far have not actually tried the site, as was requested, yet people kept posting "information." So, to settle this once and for all, we (my husband and I) bought into gamer testing ground. There are some opinions that were previously posted which are true, and some which are false. I won't give specifics about the site's content, but I can tell you that the site does NOT charge your credit card repeatedly. They only charged us once, the correct amount, as promised. We did not have to make those repeated phone calls to get that fixed as one poster warned. It e-mails you an access code to the other part of the site that requires a log in and the date for when your access code expires. It is true that even prior to paying for the advice, the site warns you that it is giving advice only and not a guarantee of employment. In this way, it is NOT a scam, because it delivers only what it promises. This is probably also why the site hasn't been taken down yet. It is a legitimate business, just like if you were to visit your accountant or attorney for business consulting. You pay for their advice, whether or not it takes you down a path for success. The only difference is, people feel relatively safe going to a CPA or lawyer because they can be sued for professional malpractice for giving bad advice. The person running gamer testing ground is not legally bound to offer sound advice. We have not yet tried to actually apply for any game testing jobs yet, as we have been busy making other sorts of income and we were simply thinking off-hand when we bought into this site in May that it "would be nice" if the hubby made some extra money on a hobby, so we are not sure about whether the advice actually works or not. However, we plan on trying some of it soon, so hopefully we'll be able to post some more results in a couple of months. The conclusion is that the people who have thus far posted "answers" and not questions are about as good as this website was: They offered their opinions on the subject. The only difference is, these people have kindly given you their advice for free, as opposed to the gentleman who is running the website in question. So, now that we've busted that myth, the real question is: Was it worth paying for? Here is my OPINION -- prior to having actually tried to use the gamer testing ground advice: A lot of the information that has been compiled in the site could be gathered without paying for it on your own. However, it is relatively handy to have everything gathered for you already and in one spot. You still have to click the links he offers to the sites that he recommends you go to for advice on different aspects of your job search. He simply takes you through how he did it and no more, but also no less. So if he could do it without gamer testing ground, you could do it without gamer testing ground as well. It is true that some of the links are dead and out-of-date. It doesn't seem like the site provider keeps up with his site too often to make sure these links are working correctly, so I'm guessing he lacks in the customer-service area and really doesn't care about his "members" getting full value for his service. So it wouldn't surprise me that he didn't really respond to an FAQ (per previous poster's comment) -- probably a permanent auto-response. Both tells me that he pretty much ignores the site and makes money from it, much like an author gets royalties from his books. How much is your time worth? Is it worth $1.87/month over 2 years even if nothing came out of it? For some people it is. For me, I probably would have paid less, but I probably still would have paid something, just because it was handy to have it all laid out for us. People pay far more for recruiting companies to circulate their resumes locally. And for the lady who wanted her son to get paid to do stuff -- if it will get him started, it might be worth it. But then again, if you wanted his income to help yours, you could probably use the money for bills instead and perhaps he should just take the extra time to do it from scratch at the library independently or with his guidance counselor (provided he's still in school) if he needed direction. As with all advice, consider the source. Even with the guidance counselor, how often has he/she had to look for a job? How often has he/she landed a job? How often have the kids seeking jobs under his/her advice landed jobs (because their credentials are probably more comparable to your son's than the counselor's)? It's like asking a surgeon prior to committing to a surgery how many of that particular surgery he has done and the success rates and recovery rates. If you do it for one industry, you may as well be fair and have the same healthy skepticism for all industries. Speaking of industries, my husband has done a lot of beta testing (for free) for various games and is currently beta testing a game now. It makes me think that the guy who put up the site probably told the truth at some point, where he probably did get game testing jobs for pay (and, yes, if you're doing it for pay, you'd have to at least show up at the company for an interview because he goes over interview attire), but nowadays, why would a company pay beta testers when they have so many gamers who would do it for free or for an extra in-game item/advantage when the game is finally released? It wouldn't surprise me if those jobs no longer exist, but we'll see after we follow the advice and apply for some. Sometimes it can be like following the job advice of previous generations: Go get a good education (bachelor's degree minimum) and from your good education get a good job (full time, salary, benefits, retirement) and you'll be set! As we now know, 4-year degrees are a dime-a-dozen and they don't get you a full time salaried job like they used to, much less retirement, and even less benefits. Because of this, it takes even longer to pay off your student loans. But the advice-givers had good intentions ... right? ^.- Whether or not the guy who runs this site has good intentions or not is probably not a huge concern at this point. He's probably just out to make a few extra dollars like you and me. Perhaps all the people who have posted thus far (and this lady's son) should set up similar web sites with advice about something and make money that way. Or write a book and publish it. PS I couldn't find the article from the previous post about Tip of the Iceberg.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Hmmmm... "GlaiveLady" makes an account specifically to respond to this ONE topic? While it's verbose, and well-written, it's fishy (no offense).

GlaiveLady, if your hubby is an actual tester, then you-all know a LOT more than you're letting on and could be much more helpful than you're actually being. The back-and-forth in this thread has the stink of promotional creativity all over it. All I see you doing is validating the website, saying positive things about it and giving it cred, calling it harmless. To me, someone out there offering what sounds like common-sense information at a price seems like a baiting situation - What I mean by that is what sideshows used to call a "Blow Off"... Hanging a sign outside the tent that says "Man Eating Chicken", and when you pay your two bits and get inside it's a dude sitting there with a plate of fried chicken, happily gnashing away at it.

What's there is EXACTLY what it advertised, but in truth, it's hype and sensational wording to part the rube with their hard-earned money and not at all what the person expected to be paying to see. There is no recourse to get your money back because any half-wit lawyer could argue the situation in a court of law and win on the technicality of wording, but if all parties were honest they would laugh and concede that it was a trick.

That, in my book, is a scam.

Is what they're doing illegal? No - That's why the website remains online (as well as the problem of international law, etc., it could be on a server in Malaysia). Is it pretty much useless and there-for a rip off of people who're hopeful to get into your hubby's line of work? Absolutely. If you need a website to tell you that proper atire is a good idea for a job interview then you have more problems than being unemployed.

I would not click links on the site, and I CERTAINLY wouldn't give any personal or financial information to them. Give me a break.

Peace.

jasontdoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jasontdoto

1) this post originated jan 16, 2008. thanks a lot for creating a gamespot account to revive a dead thread.

2) game testing is a horrible horrible job and it's not as fun and easy as some of you may think.it's frustrating, boring, and kills your back and eyes.

3) + 1 to the poster above me

4) you don't need to pay a website to give you common sense advice on how to get a job. it's like a lawyer opening up a website telling people to give him their money so he can give advice on "how to be a lawyer". how about go to school, google the requirements to get a job in your choice of field, and do it for free at the same time. google is your best friend.

gamerchick30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gamerchick30
Member since 2010 • 77 Posts

Any site/ad/person that says give me X amount of money and I'll get you that dream job, is a big red flag for a scam ... but giant, waving in the air with neon lights around the flag pole scam

ModernMenace98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 ModernMenace98
Member since 2009 • 61 Posts

My advice, try signing up if they ask for anything such as a credit card no. or bank account STOP!

Xx-Addict-xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Xx-Addict-xX
Member since 2009 • 1119 Posts
Anyone here get PTOM...? Playstation the Magizine. I do...had a cool article on game testing....3? 4? Issuses ago. I'm not sure if you can find or not...but to sum it up. Game testing is this....Sitting in a cubicle, playing the same UNFINISHED game level over and over again. It all takes place right in the office building, it basically said, unless your desperate for money, or really really interested for getting your foot in the door to a gamer job
jasontdoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jasontdoto

ya, thats why i said its a frustrating job. game testers don't get a fully finished game with beautiful graphics all the time. they get a half baked finished product and their job is to repeatedly play the same levels and find bugs/glitches etc. it's a dreadful job and gets boring. imagine playing a half baked game level over and over till your brain gets fried. some people have the wrong idea that they get a fully finished product and you get to finish the game and give a review. reviewer's job is way better than game testers job. although reviewers also gets stuck playing a crappy game which normal gamers can totally avoid.

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
It's obviously fake, I can make the same website with Dreamweaver Software and dress it up with pictures of greatest hits released with random figures.
Alkocen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Alkocen
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Although this thread is old maybe my post answers some questions. Anyway i also bought that membership status. And well... it's pretty much as GlaiveLady described it, some links are dead, nobody updates it and the info could have been found by googeling. I got more updated info reading this thread then that stuff there. But to answer the question if it is a scam or not... mm, probably not. I mean there is some info and certain shortcuts that was promised. But i can answer that question later after they have or haven't given me my refund. Is it really worth it? Well... No. Even if you could find a beta testing job that you could do at home and you manage to talk yourself some paycheck then it wouldn't be thanks to that membership. Every company is looking for people to come to their offices and those open betas you can do at home, well the pay isn't very good a.k.a. it's free. If you want more info about it, then you can always contact me.