If it was possible....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Evil_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Evil_Rage
Member since 2005 • 35 Posts

I've always wondered why no one has tried to take the PS3 and attempted to turn it into a fully working PC, probably running some old Mac OSX or one of the Linux distros. But then I also think, that if it were possible and someone did do such a thing, Sony wouldn't have it and would probably get their lawyers after you if you accomplished such a feat.

Still, I wish it was easy to do for yourself, even if you just felt like doing it one day. I suppose one day someone will try it, now that the PS3 is old news now that the PS4 is out. I'm pretty sure even if I tried to do it and succeeded at getting Windows to run on it, there would likely be many problems. What would cpu-z or gpu-z have to say about my system? Never mind all the other driver related issues with the Cell and RSX. Are there even drivers for them that exist on Windows? Doubtful. Cell is PowerPC and unsupported by Windows.

I might have to create my own custom drivers for the CELL, RSX and the xdr ram...somehow. No wonder I can't find much ideas on how to try to do such a thing with the PS3's parts...

All in all, it sounds like a massive headache and a field day for Sony's lawyers to come after me if I manage to do it.

xeon71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 xeon71
Member since 2005 • 208 Posts

@Evil_Rage: I think no one has really tried because the first ps3 versions actually let you install linux and people messed around with at first and now there just isn't much push to try and put windows or any other OS on it. I think it would definitely be a lot of work since the ps3 architecture is quite different than a typical PC.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

You would have to get an original first generation, Second generation up to the third Generation PS3 consoles. Since they took out the ability to install Linux to those systems.

The PS3 had support for Printers/keyboards/mice. You could run Linux on the PS3. There was a youtube video of someone running windows on the PS3. It was most likely a fake.

But if you could track down a PS3 which can still run linux you could turn it into a full fledged computer of sorts. You need to basically find a PS3 with the install other OS (linux) option still intact. a PS3 20GB/PS3 60BG/ PS3 Pal 60GB/ PAL 80GB all of these have 4 USB ports. Or the first PS3 40GB model that still came with the Sixxaxis (non dualshock) controller. Those were the models that could run Linux before Sony took it out.

Brand new with their original firmware. Good luck in that search.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

what's the point? just buy a cheap PC and use it ... you won't be able to use any PSN functions and risk being brought to law, if you want to use your tech skills there are other ways