If I HATED GTA, will I also hate RDR?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

--Rob--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 --Rob--
Member since 2009 • 376 Posts

I LOVE westerns, but I friggin HATED GTA4 - the control mechanics, I thought the camera was horriffic, I just really was dissapointed in the game. Its the only game I have bought for the PS3that Ijust totally abandoned because I could not force myself to enjoy (being the cheap sob I am, I repeatedly tried to force myself to like it since I paid 60 bucks for it, but it just would not happen)

Can you tell that this is a Rockstar game? Given my thoughts on GTA4, will I hate RDR too?

NatsumeKonno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 NatsumeKonno
Member since 2009 • 350 Posts

Great game. Controls is like GTA4 Kind of But i just made a review of the game. Will you like this game Yes you will. I didnt see any dating management junk.

Bottom line this game is amazing ill copy and paste my review. Just click the Spoiler tag to see my review.

[spoiler] Lets just forget about the scoring ill just talk about the game. I wont talk about the story. For me i dont play games for story i always hit X. Games dont hook me with story unlike animes. I just play the game if its good.
-----
Q. Whats new on this game from GTA4?
A. 1. Better cover system.
2. Bigger world (not alot of buildings) but the world is really big to explore.
3. Weird control set-up (read below for more info)
4. Horses (Feels real good amazing)
5. Better side quest (Havent seen any dating quest thank god)
6. So much Mini-Games (Not as muck as yakuza but its amazing)
You could easly get stuck playing poker for hours on end.
-----
First off im not that in to wild west dont watch movies of it, i dont like country music maybe very small ammont if it has good beat. But anyways.

Just bought the game after watching a bunch of reviews. First i thought hmm its wild west it cant be to bad they have bolt action rifles whice i love alot. Only played the single story so far.

World/Map: This game is big i dont think its uber big like some reviews say. I mean it is big way bigger then GTA4 anyways. What you see you can go to it anyways. You can use a horse it moves fast. A review said it takes 1 hour to ride the horse well. IMO it only takes 1min basicly its like any other ride but you use R1 to break or slow that and Square to jump, X to move faster. You can set up a camp fire with select. You can save or instantly tele to a town that you visited or bought a map from the store (Really handy). If you die in a mission its ok you can reload from a check point amazing.

Gameplay/Controls: Plays just like GTA4 but with some changes. Ill list them.
1. Improve cover system. Unlike GTA4 i never used it. But in this game you will use it alot (R1) works the same to cover behind things.
2. D-Pad is stupid now. Left and right just moves the sholder cam left to right.
Pushing up calls your horse (Very usefull no need to wait for something to jack) Down zooms out mini map.
3. Weapon Switching is very stupid now. If you played saints row 2 then its the same. (L1) Pulls out weapon hides weapon. If you hold L1 it shows a weapon wheel then you use your right stick to pick the weapon DPAD left or right switches the same ****of weapon with another weapon. So you can hold alot of rifles.
4. (R3) Dead Eye is amazing. Think of it as slow-mo and screan going red and controller shaking. at lvl 3 you can use R1 to que in attacks on multi targets.
------
What i love: Lots of things to do and i mean alot of things to do. If your bored and just siting there out in the open. Get ready to see random events happen. Dogs atking you out of no where see gun fights. Pretty neat. If you get busted for killing cilvilans its ok you can run away. If you get hit your health regens.

What i hate: Even if you run away you still have to pay for your bounty. But you can get a pordon paper thinggy so you can use that as a free pass to get rid of it. Cannot fly, cant become a girl (Online you can).

Online: Havent played it the lobby is a open world you can jump to different type of games with select. You can pick alot of chars and titles for online.
Lobby: it is weird once you log in people sometimes will just kill you. So if you are new yes people will just shoot you. [/spoiler]

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#3 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

If you hated GTA IV, then don't bother with Red Dead Redemption

NatsumeKonno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NatsumeKonno

Funny thing is i hated GTA but im liking RDR Mainly i stoped playing GTA because of the dating thing. That and Saints row 2 was better IMO i had way more fun on it and i beat the whole game. I somehow wasnt able to beat GTA.

RDR just has more something something. As he said he likes wild west soit shoudl already be a no brainer that this game is gonna be amazing.

majbros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 majbros
Member since 2009 • 73 Posts
[QUOTE="--Rob--"]

I LOVE westerns, but I friggin HATED GTA4 - the control mechanics, I thought the camera was horriffic, I just really was dissapointed in the game. Its the only game I have bought for the PS3that Ijust totally abandoned because I could not force myself to enjoy (being the cheap sob I am, I repeatedly tried to force myself to like it since I paid 60 bucks for it, but it just would not happen)

Can you tell that this is a Rockstar game? Given my thoughts on GTA4, will I hate RDR too?

It breaks my robot heart to hear that you dont like GTA 4!!! Im so sorry for you!!! D:
conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 conistant
Member since 2008 • 2169 Posts
I hated GTA4's story so will I like RDR?
NatsumeKonno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NatsumeKonno
I hated GTA4's story so will I like RDR?conistant
Theres alot of videos on youtube that talks about the story. As for me im not in to the story but i think its okay. Im just in it to mess around and its great so far.
--Rob--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 --Rob--
It breaks my robot heart to hear that you dont like GTA 4!!! Im so sorry for you!!! D: majbros
Dont be. I gave it more than its fair share of opportunity, and Im much happier now that Ive accepted that it was just a waste of 60 beans for me.
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#9 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

I hated gta 4 and saint rows 2 was a much better games but i'm loving rdr so far, very great game

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

If you hated GTA IV, then don't bother with Red Dead Redemption

Venom_Raptor
Why? They were made by different studios.
punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts
[QUOTE="--Rob--"]

you'll probably hate it even more. Because everything you do reflects on you in this game. which is lame but its the new video game gimick appearing in games.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clicketyclick

you'll probably hate it even more. Because everything you do reflects on you in this game. which is lame but its the new video game gimick appearing in games.duane27

Ya, don't you hate it when, like, the game world reacts to your actions and acknowledges them? Man, that immersiveness thing sucks. I would rather feel like my actions have no meaning and the chars in the world go about their stupid AI lives business as usual whether I'm there or not, whether I kill their friend in front of them or not."Oh, johnny's dead. Well then, off to the fruit market to stand by the melons and look like we're talking again?"

CBottom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CBottom7
Member since 2009 • 822 Posts

[QUOTE="--Rob--"]

duane27

you'll probably hate it even more. Because everything you do reflects on you in this game. which is lame but its the new video game gimick appearing in games.

Gotta love Carl quotes

dimis_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dimis_
Member since 2008 • 413 Posts

Me too, i hated GTA4. I felt like a stooge, do this, do that, without knowing howanything relates to a .... coughs .... plot, that within the 3-4 hours i have played, is non existent. It seems that in this game you are more in control.

--Rob--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 --Rob--

[QUOTE="duane27"]you'll probably hate it even more. Because everything you do reflects on you in this game. which is lame but its the new video game gimick appearing in games.clicketyclick

Ya, don't you hate it when, like, the game world reacts to your actions and acknowledges them? Man, that immersiveness thing sucks. I would rather feel like my actions have no meaning and the chars in the world go about their stupid AI lives business as usual whether I'm there or not, whether I kill their friend in front of them or not."Oh, johnny's dead. Well then, off to the fruit market to stand by the melons and look like we're talking again?"

Take a deep breath, there clickity. Im actually interested in hearing him expand and better explain that comment. Im not sure exactly where he was going with that, but put me in the category of people who prefer to just play a "game", rather than feel like Im being part of a virtual world. IOW, theres a point where attempted "realism" starts to replace or draw away from the fun in games. Im not sure if what Im trying to convey makes sense, and not to get off topic... but feel free Duane to expand on what you said and how it applies to this game.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 clicketyclick
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]

[QUOTE="duane27"]you'll probably hate it even more. Because everything you do reflects on you in this game. which is lame but its the new video game gimick appearing in games.--Rob--

Take a deep breath, there clickity. Im actually interested in hearing him expand and better explain that comment. Im not sure exactly where he was going with that, but put me in the category of people who prefer to just play a "game", rather than feel like Im being part of a virtual world. IOW, theres a point where attempted "realism" starts to replace or draw away from the fun in games. Im not sure if what Im trying to convey makes sense, and not to get off topic... but feel free Duane to expand on what you said and how it applies to this game.

if you do cool stuff like shoot the guns out of people's hands during a shootout and complete other side missiony things that gain you fame, you'll be more easily recognised by people. If you do mean, bad things, they'll be scared of you and run away, or they'll challenge you to a duel. Or bounty hunters will come after you. If you do good things, all the ladies will wanna have your beybehs. If you just wanna mess around and be evil while keeping a clean cut persona, wear a bandana.
--Rob--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 --Rob--

Me too, i hated GTA4. I felt like a stooge, do this, do that, without knowing howanything relates to a .... coughs .... plot, that within the 3-4 hours i have played, is non existent. It seems that in this game you are more in control.

dimis_
COMPLETELY AGREE. Good to hear that this game deviates from that, but Im still weary. Above all else, it was the control mechanics and camera aggrevation that angered me the most. I guess I would say with regard to the controls/camera that I considered GTA4 to be an example of a third person shooter done bad, with Uncharted 1&2 serving as examples of a TPS done right. If RDR "feels", control wise, like GTA then it will ruin it for me.
--Rob--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 --Rob--
if you do cool stuff like shoot the guns out of people's hands during a shootout and complete other side missiony things that gain you fame, you'll be more easily recognised by people. If you do mean, bad things, they'll be scared of you and run away, or they'll challenge you to a duel. Or bounty hunters will come after you. If you do good things, all the ladies will wanna have your beybehs. If you just wanna mess around and be evil while keeping a clean cut persona, wear a bandana.clicketyclick
Ok, thanks.
MURDA_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MURDA_B
Member since 2008 • 2879 Posts

its a different type of game so you will love rdr.

Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Ryan_Som
Member since 2009 • 2474 Posts

[QUOTE="dimis_"]

--Rob--

COMPLETELY AGREE. Good to hear that this game deviates from that, but Im still weary. Above all else, it was the control mechanics and camera aggrevation that angered me the most. I guess I would say with regard to the controls/camera that I considered GTA4 to be an example of a third person shooter done bad, with Uncharted 1&2 serving as examples of a TPS done right. If RDR "feels", control wise, like GTA then it will ruin it for me.

I never played GTAIV, but I've played a TON of Uncharted 2 (I have the Platinum). RDR feels a lot like Uncharted 2. I just wish the game had button mapping so I could make the control scheme LIKE Uncharted. L2 / R2 for aiming and shooting? R1 for cover?! Circle for reload?! Square is jump? What jackass picked these controls and said, "Nah, they don't need more options"?

I've grown used to the controls and I have Dual Triggers, so it's not as bad as I originally thought. Still, having Circle for taking cover, L1 / R1 for aiming / shooting, L2 for the weapon wheel, and R2 for reload would've made a LOT more sense IMO.

I doubt they will, but here's to hoping Rockstar at least patches in a "Flip L1 / R1 and L2 / R2" option.

bizzy420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bizzy420
Member since 2005 • 2730 Posts
i hated gta4. i couldnt drive too good and kept running into other cars and buildings. the aiming felt a little weird too. i didnt think i would enjoy RDR, but about 7 hours into it, im really liking it.
Avatar image for ps3_owns_360Wii
ps3_owns_360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 ps3_owns_360Wii
Member since 2008 • 2289 Posts

I hated GTA4 too, but i took a chance and got RDR. And i gotta say that i love it.:D

Mcortijo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mcortijo01
Member since 2003 • 2589 Posts

I asked myself that same question. I do love a good western so I think I'll give a try. What's the harm, don't like it I can always trade it in.

RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RoOodriGowW
Member since 2008 • 3309 Posts

Then I feel sorry for you , odds are you are gonna miss on 2 great games : Red Dead Redemption AND Mafia II.

White_Crayon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 White_Crayon
Member since 2004 • 40 Posts

From what I read I will probably enjoy it. It shares some similarities with GTAIV but is not really that similar.

Right now my biggest let downs on GTA IVis the poor humor and the radio. At least there will not be a radio on my horse. (crosses fingers)

Loudli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Loudli
Member since 2008 • 141 Posts

I didnt really like gta but i LOVE this game

SaaM-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SaaM-x
Member since 2010 • 437 Posts

If you HATED GTA then you probably will not like RDR. Personally I loved GTA and I'm enjoying RDR just as much.

jay_rock_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jay_rock_
Member since 2003 • 1720 Posts

You will only know for your self its up too you...

jay_rock_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jay_rock_
Member since 2003 • 1720 Posts

i hated gta4. i couldnt drive too good and kept running into other cars and buildings. the aiming felt a little weird too. i didnt think i would enjoy RDR, but about 7 hours into it, im really liking it.bizzy420
Wow you must suck at that game lol even i didnt run into everything...

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
I didn't like GTA IV because it was boring as hell, the only real standout mission I can remember was the bank mission and it was an event in frustration because it was so easy to die and you had to drive all the way back there. The bulk of the other missions and oh god the dates and stuff were insanely boring. If RDR is like that, than it is a solid pass for me.
haze_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 haze_blaze
Member since 2003 • 3907 Posts
Well, the controls are pretty similar, but the gameplay is much different. So if you hated GTA b/c of the controls... then yes, you may not like this one either. But if the gameplay in GTA IV disappointed you (as it did me), then there's a good chance you'll love RDR (as do I)!