How to prevent YLOD?(Yellow light of dead)

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LgNMaSteR14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LgNMaSteR14
Member since 2008 • 74 Posts
Ok so i got a 60GB PS3 and i'm afraid of it gets a YLOD,how do i prevent to get it?Thanks.
TheCraving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 TheCraving
Member since 2003 • 648 Posts
Yellow light of dead? Add a 'the' before dead and we have the title for the next George A Romero film!
Rafinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rafinator
Member since 2003 • 1063 Posts
The YLOD is not something to be concerned w/... I have a launch 60gb and it works fine, despite the fact that I play an unhealthy amount of Resistance on it :P
Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts
Well I don't really know what causes this YLOD which a lot of people are getting lately, I have the 60 GB for over a year now and it is working fine make sure you put it in the open and clean it from time to time.
JOE_PS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 JOE_PS3
Member since 2008 • 139 Posts
THERE IS NO ESCAPE FROM THE YELLOW LIGHT OF DEATH.. IT WAS KILL US ALL! MWHAHAHA
nailfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nailfoot
Member since 2005 • 2378 Posts
All your YLOD are belong to me. Wait...No! You can keep 'em.
woofie13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 woofie13
Member since 2007 • 841 Posts
It seems pretty rare to me, I've had my 60gb for almost 2 years now. Maybe like avoid dropping your console from heights or submerging it in water? :P
king23_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 king23_
Member since 2007 • 18169 Posts
I don't think the YLOD is very common. I wouldn't worry about it.
Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts
well i was a YLoD victim, my 60GB crashed last friday but they sent me a brand new 60GB 4 days later. I would say, don't game for more than 2 hours. Let your system cool off before playing again and if your system freezes at any time, don't flick the power switch instead press and hold the on/off button located infront of the cd drive.
smeags11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 smeags11
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts
you cant prevent it, its just a system failure.
jpridgen0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11 jpridgen0
Member since 2005 • 1864 Posts
i dont see how its nothing to be concerned about seeing as how alot of ps3s are suddenly getting the YLOD. i guess when it happens to you, youll be concerned then. TC, just dont leave it on for a long time and dont turn it off with the power switch in the back while gaming. also make sure it has plenty of room near the vents.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
Leave it out in an open space, treat it like a baby, etc.
theMarshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 theMarshell
Member since 2008 • 602 Posts
I have question, If i just take care of it will it be fine, I am getting one for chrstmas and I am on the fence about the warrenty.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

I have question, If i just take care of it will it be fine, I am getting one for chrstmas and I am on the fence about the warrenty.theMarshell

If you have a Costco around your area, get it there because they have a free in-store warranty there.

doesntcare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 doesntcare
Member since 2007 • 1219 Posts
I have had mine since launch. No probs at all and have been clocking many hours of R 2. Like everyone else said plenty ventilation
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
if u keep it clean dust it once a day, that's wat i do, and well ventilated and nothing spills on it or drop anything on it. i been a 60gb owner for 2 years now, and i love to game on it specially with resistance 2 i put easily 6 to 8 hrs a day on it, all together my ps3 usually stays on 4 days a week without turning it off, and mostly when i go to bed it on folding at home, and i honestly had no problems (knock on wood). just take care of it, make sure its ventilated and clean, dust free which u have to dust it once a day at least or more if u have pets. and u shouldnt have any problems, and good luck
MasterFreinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MasterFreinz
Member since 2005 • 178 Posts

The what now? I've never heard of it, and I've had my PS3 for years.

Which must be a good sign, right? :)

coughlanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 coughlanio
Member since 2005 • 4306 Posts
I'd suggest getting a can of compressed air, and clean it once a week or so, just a quick blast. With all my consoles I keep at least 6 inches of space on each side...
wiidog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 wiidog
Member since 2007 • 600 Posts
The main reason people are getting the YLOD is because they are not properly shutting down their systems. If you press the "turn off system" button and not turn it off from the back you'll be fine. People have been turning thier system off from the back. This can cause a system failure
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts

well, im not sure just what cuases it. there may be no way to prevent it. with electronics things can just fail. How ever there are some genaral tips.

#1 keep it in a well vented place. do not wedge it into a small entertainment center shelf ect. and dont set it on carpet.

#2 when ever you notice dust starting to collect around the frount,side or rear vent use a shop vac or vacume cleaner attachment to suck out the dist. DO NOT use compressed air to blow the dust out as that will scatter it around in side the system.

#3 try not to play for extreem amounts of time. take a break every 3 hours. 

#4 always cut the system off from the controler or the on/off touch pad located underthe disk slot.

#5 only turn the system off by way of the rear breaker switch if your not going to use the system for extended time like say while your away on vacation. its been reported that people useing that swicth as the main on/off are haveing issues. also do use that switch if there is a lighting storm. also unplug it.

#6 get your self a good surge protector. one woth a battrie back up or reserve.

#7. i have heard its best to keep the system in the horazontal instead of vertical. wether thats true or not i dont know. 

#8 while the system can funtion as a dvd player ,its best to use a cheap dvd  player as not to put any extra wear and tear on your 400+ $ ps3 ;)

hope this helps

nailfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nailfoot
I'd suggest getting a can of compressed air, and clean it once a week or so, just a quick blast. With all my consoles I keep at least 6 inches of space on each side...havokmaster
Do you have it magnetically suspended? That *MAY* corrupt the data inside... Perhaps you have it hanging from a bunch of helium balloons??
HarleyO5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HarleyO5
Member since 2008 • 59 Posts
I dont think i matters what you do I have a ps3 from launch its the only thing under my tv it has a few feet of empty space around it in every direction I keep it very clean it was never dropped or anything and I got the ylod a few days ago. My friend bought his system same day as me and his kids are rough with it and he never once cleaned it and his is still kicking maybe you can call a church in your area and ask them to pray for your ps3 or maybe there is an old indian dance to rid your system of the ylod
ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
ummm yellow light of death? never heard of it ....i had my 60gb ps3 since 2006 launch....
nailfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nailfoot
I dont think i matters what you do I have a ps3 from launch its the only thing under my tv it has a few feet of empty space around it in every direction I keep it very clean it was never dropped or anything and I got the ylod a few days ago. My friend bought his system same day as me and his kids are rough with it and he never once cleaned it and his is still kicking maybe you can call a church in your area and ask them to pray for your ps3 or maybe there is an old indian dance to rid your system of the ylodHarleyO5
Be careful not to mis-step on that old indian dance. I don't want to see a bunch of eggbeaters falling from the darkness.
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wild_Card
I have question, If i just take care of it will it be fine, I am getting one for chrstmas and I am on the fence about the warrenty.theMarshell
if you take good care of it "read my post above" it SHOULD be fine. but even systems that are well taken care of can fail. its just the way things are. companies build there systems more times than not with the cheapest parts they can get away with.how ever ,even when you use all top end stuff you can have failures. does not matter if your talking nintendo, sony or ford,chevy,toyota or BMW lol the old saying sh*t happens applies to any thing man made. so yes get an extended warrinty. wallmart has a good deal. 28$ and your covered for 3 years after the sony warrenty is out. and it covers pretty much every thing including lightning/power surge and even "normal wear and tear"
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Wild_Card
I dont think i matters what you do I have a ps3 from launch its the only thing under my tv it has a few feet of empty space around it in every direction I keep it very clean it was never dropped or anything and I got the ylod a few days ago. My friend bought his system same day as me and his kids are rough with it and he never once cleaned it and his is still kicking maybe you can call a church in your area and ask them to pray for your ps3 or maybe there is an old indian dance to rid your system of the ylodHarleyO5
this is true. iv taken VERY good care of my systems "and every thing else i own" and iv had things go kaput yet iv seen people not give a care to there stuff even mistreat them and there stuff seems to keep soldiering on lol. some times i think objects like to be miss treated. maby i'll start calling my ps3 a dirty little who** and smack it around a bit every time i cut it on lol :p
D-Throne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 D-Throne
Member since 2008 • 92 Posts
Let the PS3 breathe. Don't put the PS3 in confined place since the hot air can't get out. But I doubt that will happen. The PS3 is a very reliable console.
smeags11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 smeags11
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts
[QUOTE="havokmaster"]I'd suggest getting a can of compressed air, and clean it once a week or so, just a quick blast. With all my consoles I keep at least 6 inches of space on each side...nailfoot
Do you have it magnetically suspended? That *MAY* corrupt the data inside... Perhaps you have it hanging from a bunch of helium balloons??

lol smartass
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts
Leave it out in an open space, treat it like a baby, etc.hazelnutman
Then i wonder how these people will treat their own children :|
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Wild_Card
[QUOTE="hazelnutman"]Leave it out in an open space, treat it like a baby, etc.supa_badman
Then i wonder how these people will treat their own children :|

thay keep them in a sealed entertainment center shelf coverd in dust of course
theMarshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 theMarshell
Member since 2008 • 602 Posts
I am going to look into the costco warrenty, the closes wal-mart is on route 22 and no one will take me there because its a very confusing place.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I think this is the first time I've ever heard of "Yellow light of death"
Carl0009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33 Carl0009
Member since 2004 • 495 Posts

Leave it out in an open space, treat it like a baby, etc.hazelnutman

Say to it you love it, cuddle with it ect :P

But honestly, I think this isnt a great concern, At least we dont have a Sticky thread of broken 360's lol

dok_dx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 dok_dx
Member since 2005 • 2380 Posts

well i was a YLoD victim, my 60GB crashed last friday but they sent me a brand new 60GB 4 days later. I would say, don't game for more than 2 hours. Let your system cool off before playing again and if your system freezes at any time, don't flick the power switch instead press and hold the on/off button located infront of the cd drive.Sk8ter_213

I've had my 20Gig (I upgrade the HD to a 60 the day after I bought it) since the PS3 launched. This is the first time I've even heard of the Yellow light of Death. I know the failure rate on the PS3 is very, very low. Also, I've played R2 5 hours non-stop last night and afterwards left it on so that it Fold @ Home. I've left it on for days at a time and never had a problem. Is the YLoD a problem on the newer models?

arikkot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 arikkot
Member since 2006 • 751 Posts
Never cleaned my PS3, have it in confined space, keep it on 5 to 6 hours at a time. The fan rarely even turns itself on to high, let alone come anywhere close to a system failure. The PS3 is a sturdy system, and the YLOD is uncommon. Dont worry about your PS3, it's not a 360.
d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#36 d_ano
Member since 2005 • 2522 Posts
there is only 1 way to be 100% sure u never get it and thats by not using it
Megaric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Megaric
Member since 2009 • 66 Posts
Well 1, you shouldn't worry unless it happens to you...um but what i can say is that dust it from time to time and if you play more than like 7 hours and keep going when you realize your room is now 100 degrees (Guilty XD )take a break. Other than that ...shouldn't worry that much. =]
M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#38 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

You can't avoid it. It happened to me randomly. I guess that one of the components just breaks, but once it does there is NO WAY to fix it.

MURDA_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MURDA_B
Member since 2008 • 2879 Posts

you cant prevent it, its just a system failure.smeags11
what i was gone say

makiveli100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 makiveli100
Member since 2008 • 507 Posts

I've never heard of it, but i have the 80G/BWC and I've had it for a couple of years now.

Troqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 Troqe
Member since 2008 • 675 Posts

Never turn it on, EVER

Keir21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#43 Keir21
Member since 2006 • 5918 Posts
Sony told me it was due to a certain component (can't remember what) melting away from the motherboard. They said this only seems to be happening in 60gb models. Mine got the YLOD and i take good care of my console and rarely play it. I hope it didn't melt away gradually because that would suck for everyone.
DERTY-D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DERTY-D
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
the component melting away is the thermal compound. it sits between the heat syn and the GPU and CPU once it melts away its like metal on metal
Bow-T_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bow-T_88
Member since 2007 • 1544 Posts
Sony told me it was due to a certain component (can't remember what) melting away from the motherboard. They said this only seems to be happening in 60gb models. Mine got the YLOD and i take good care of my console and rarely play it. I hope it didn't melt away gradually because that would suck for everyone.Keir21
I got it and I only play it in an Air Condition room. WHEN my brother opened the ps3, there wasnt any dust inside of it. The guy who repaired it at an electronic store charged me 25 US, and said that there's over a hundred of them repairing at the moment. I bet they will all die, either dead blu ray lens or overheating.
Mr_Popo74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mr_Popo74
Member since 2004 • 153 Posts
It's apparently caused by overheating, so try to keep it in a spacious area, so it lets the hot air out of the console.
redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 redskins2156
Member since 2007 • 2553 Posts

Try not to play too long without taking a break in between. I usually play like 1 hour or so and than take a 15-20 minute break. I have a launch 60gb

ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts
The main reason people are getting the YLOD is because they are not properly shutting down their systems. If you press the "turn off system" button and not turn it off from the back you'll be fine. People have been turning thier system off from the back. This can cause a system failurewiidog
Not everyone does that. Mine just stopped one day. I dont believe its all 60gb. I do believe it is a hardware failure with some. 2nd one is starting to act up. As soon as i turn it on, the fan starts kicking into high gear. Anyone have this problem yet? I clean mine everytime before i start to play it with can of air.
Bow-T_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Bow-T_88
Member since 2007 • 1544 Posts
because i kno how to dis assemble it, I'll check for dust now that its back and working. However, I cant do anything about preventing the lens from malfunctioning. Yes mine kicks into high gear very quickly in an Air Conditioned Room.
adizorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 adizorz
Member since 2008 • 1410 Posts

i put a piece of gaffer tape over the lights.

This way i will never get the yellow light.

My logic is undeniable.