hmm..should i get a psp??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

x-chump-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 x-chump-x
Member since 2008 • 542 Posts
well i was looking for a good handheld, but then i didn't see all that many games that are good for the psp, but still about 8 that look interesting, but i didn't know if the psp would be worth it in the long run..because i was gonna either buy it or the ds, but i cant really decide. can anyone help?
Matthew-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Matthew-first
Member since 2005 • 3318 Posts
If you are really looking for a good handheld u should stick to psp rather than the Ds.....
I own my psp for about 2 years... its great :D
Got about 18 games... and i want more :PP .... there are many great titles...
DS is for children ... alot of mario like games....
I think that psp is way better....
And hm..... buy it! :D
-MuddaFudda-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -MuddaFudda-
Member since 2008 • 127 Posts
yea pretty much, cant talk about it here but google why its so great
Edzem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Edzem
Member since 2008 • 58 Posts

Yes get a PSP, and do as I did, try demo games too see what kind of games you are really into.

Read reviews on gamespot and remember there are over 400 games for the PSP, so you will have plenty to choose from,

many are bad, many are good but over 120 PSP games has an overall score of 75..

Top 10.

1 God of War: Chains of Olympus 2008 91

2 Lumines 2005 89

3 WipEout Pure 2005 88

4 Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of The Lions 2007 88

5 Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories 2005 88

6 Tekken: Dark Resurrection 2006 88

7 Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children 2006 88

8 Ridge Racer 2005 88

9 Jeanne d'Arc 2007 87

10 Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror 2006 87

Ultima_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ultima_5
Member since 2008 • 1614 Posts
ds any day, there is nothing on the horizon for the psp, and most of the games on it are ports.
Edzem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Edzem

There is nothing on the horizon for the PSP ?? clearly you dont know what you are talking about,

by the way. he did not ask this at the ds forum, and lets not even start talk about games for the ds.

I am a PSP owner for several reasons, so I recommand the PSP, but if you want games like,

Nintendogs, Barbie - Island princess, Postman Pat, Hannah Montana, Imagine Babyz, Build a Bear, then there is nothing wrong with that.

It all depends on what type of a gamer you are.

Hajikaido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Hajikaido
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

There is nothing on the horizon for the PSP ?? clearly you dont know what you are talking about,

by the way. he did not ask this at the ds forum, and lets not even start talk about games for the ds.

I am a PSP owner for several reasons, so I recommand the PSP, but if you want games like,

Nintendogs, Barbie - Island princess, Postman Pat, Hannah Montana, Imagine Babyz, Build a Bear, then there is nothing wrong with that.

It all depends on what type of a gamer you are.

Edzem

You failed to mention any good titles for the DS, save for nintendogs, want me to mention bad/ fake titles for the psp? nah i wont.

If theres anything ive seen from nintendo its that they make really fun games that dont look good/dont look cool or mature, but trust me, THEY ARE FUN

im pretty sure the same goes for psp, i really want to try chains of olympus cuz i love god of war, but what it really comes down to is do you want to game with a touch screen and really fun but not so good looking games or do you want to game with better graphics but weird controls. Im pretty sure either way you wont be dissapointed.

kmpsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kmpsp

yes you should get a psp.
i have been a non-believer. didn't think that the psp could give so much fun and thrills due to its small ****and mini-screen.
but i just bought a set over the weekend and i must admit... i'm now a new convert, junkie gonna be.
bought the latest Fifa 2009 and 3 other games... urm... Gangs of London (not recommended.), The Sims 2 (old, but good. really like the game a lot. first played it on the PC.) and Championship Manager 2006 (oldie, but goodie. but only if you like reading and seeing stats.)

i'im now looking for accessories and other fun stuff like skins and slings and really cool casings.
hence, apart from software and games, you can also doll-up your psp.

it's a world of fun and i'm kicking myself for starting late. but better late than never. my only regret is not being patient enough to wait for the 3006 release. but hey, the deed's been done and perhaps i may sink into the newest psp model... i need advice for this one.

cheers!!

Edzem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Edzem

Buy both if you can afford it, I guess that is the only way too see which would be worth it in the long run.

Me personally, I just prefere the PSP, I dont need 10 games per week to be satisfied with my PSP, one new good/great game every 2 month that is enough for me and the PSP back catalogue is great, so I got plenty to choose from and my fav games are not even on the PSP top 10.

Whether "Nintendogs, Barbie - Island princess, Postman Pat, Hannah Montana, Imagine Babyz, Build a Bear" are fake games for the DS, is something I dont know about, but I do know that even if Nintendo makes great games for the DS and they are great fun, it tells me that the games for the DS is more quantity than quality.

But just for the heck of it, even though this is not the ds forum, here is the top ten for the ds.

1 Chrono Trigger 2008 94, 2 Mario Kart DS 2005 91, 3 Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, The 2007, 90 4 Advance Wars: Dual Strike 2005 90, 5 Jump Ultimate Stars 2006 89, 6 Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow 2005 89, 7 New Super Mario Bros. 2006 89, 8 World Ends With You, The 2008 89, 9 Meteos 2005 88

Ds got more than 600 games to choose from, but let me tell you something "funny" the number of games which are rated over 75 for the ds is exactly the same as for the PSP, and that number is 120.

That means more games for the DS is quantity than quality.( most DS games are not rated higher than PSP games, but as I said before, most of my fav games for the great PSP is not even on the top 10, but more like top 100 so in the end ratings are not even the main thing for me which games I really like and I dont like playing with a stylus.

If one call 400 games for the PSP "few" then my argument is ; less is better, ( the PSP game jungle is more visible ) and the type of games for the PSP is more my flavour.

Ps. @kmpsp, congrats with the new PSP,

blooddog28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#10 blooddog28
Member since 2008 • 2049 Posts
The psp is the best handheld ever!!!! music, video ( most people use it for a certain kind of video ) , photos, internet, radio, and ummm... jeez what was it... GAMES!! here are some MUST get games for the psp: god of war. socom fireteam bravo 2 ( only if u get online ), syphon filter LS or DM, tekken dark resurrection, and monster hunter freedom 2 if your into that kind of thing. Lumines is a great game on the go and if you are into SRPG's defintaly Jeanne D'arc! good look and I hope you get one!
BradHummr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 BradHummr
Member since 2005 • 1096 Posts
I personally use my PSP more than my DS since I've bought a PSP. Don't get me wrong, games like Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, Mariokart DS and Animal Crossing Wild World certainly make the DS worth buying, I would have to reccomend a PSP over a DS. PSP games I enjoy the most include FlatOut: Head On, Syphon Filter Logan's Shadow and GTA Vice City Stories. However, since games are a preference, lets look at some things I believe the PSP does better than DS. Online. PSP doesn't require friend codes, connects fast and easy and supports voice chat (I know several DS titles do as well) during gameplay. SOCOM Fireteam Bravo 2 and Syphon Filter Logan's Shadow online are some of the greatest moments I have ever had in my gaming history. Some rounds can be a drag (What game doesn't have bad rounds?) but most of them are very fun and very involving. Also, the PSP web browser supports old flash, java and animations. It's fast (Depending on your connection) and simple to use. The PSP also has RSS feed and an internet radio. In addition to the online, PSP has pictures, videos (UMD videos are mostly inferior to DVDs though) and music. If you're buying it for the games though, DS and PSP are tough competition. I would still go with PSP, but do some research and find out which system has the games you want most. If both have games you want, then just pick one and you should be happy with either. ;)
Edzem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Edzem
( most people use it for a certain kind of video ) , !blooddog28
Feel free to tell more about that. :O) :-.-.-.-.-..-.
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts

Honestly, buy both if you could. I'm really glad I bought both, each have their strengths and weaknesses. But personally, PSP has better RPGs IMO. I really only play like 3 games for the DS now. And PSP has a better future forecast for big name games if you ask me.

PSP 2009:

• Final Fantasy: Dissidia
  • Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
  • Parasite Eve
  • Final Fantasy Agito XIII
  • LocoRoco 2
  • Patapon 2
  • Resistance
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • Star Ocean: Second Evolution

DS 2009:

• Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days
  • Dragon Quest IX
randomfan234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 randomfan234
Member since 2007 • 1780 Posts
the PSP and their games are FAR superior to the DS. It can hold videos, music, pictures, and it's games have better capabilites. Also 95% of DS games made are for 10 year olds and very poorly done. On the PSP you can actually play games like sports games or good fighting combat games. But if you enjoy taking care of ponies and cooking virtual meals then get a DS.
popeto87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 popeto87

If u want better graphics, bigger screen and online support and gaming i say get a psp over ds!!!

If u like real games more then flashy colored childish games i would also suggest a psp.

With psp u also get to watch videos, listen to music and guess what, u have internet!

The PSP uses a 333 MHz MIPS R4000 (32-bit) CPU, a GPU with 2 MB onboard VRAM running at 166 MHz, and includes 32 MB main RAM and 4 MB embedded DRAM

DS uses Two ARM processors, an ARM946E-Smain CPU and ARM7TDMI co-processor at clock speeds of 67 MHz and 33 MHz respectively and has 4 MB of Mobile RAM

So its:

PSP                 vs         DS

333 MHz CPU         vs     67 MHz CPU

with 2 MB VRAM

32 MB RAM            vs      4 MB RAM

4 MB DRAM            vs     O MB DRAM

So all u who want to get DS instead of PSP go shoot yourself!

garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts
I have both handhelds which makes it easier to not be biased as I was before I got a psp. I think having both is useful because the range of games that you're able to get is wider. However, if you want just a psp then you should find a list of as many games that you might be interested in and compare it to that of the DS's.
Shimmerweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 Shimmerweed
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts
I have a PSP and I'm loving it. Over 120 games and most of them are quite decent. Personally, I recommend Monster Hunter Freedom 2 / 2ndG with English Patch (teamhgg.org) , Crisis Core , Crush ( Puzzle game ) , Dungeon Maker , Grand Theft Auto Vice City , Need For Speed Own the City and God of War . Disgaea too if u like deep , and highly replayable SRPGs. FF Tactics are ok but I prefer Disgaea. U can play videos on ur psp by converting video files to MPEG4 format. Just google Total Video Converter. U can listen to ur favourite tracks on the psp ( mp3 format ). Like *ahem* Baldur's Gate =P Meh thats just me. And the quality's awesome too ( get earphones ) Graphics are generally better than the DS imo. Custom firmwares for the psp introduces alot of new features. Using CFW is legal but downloading games are not. ;) U can play most ps1 games on the psp using popsloader. Its legal too. Flash games can be played as well. Go search the forums for the ' How to put flash games in the psp Guide ' Meh. The best part imo is Monster Hunter . Best game out of the hundreds I own. Contrary to what gamespot thinks about this game, it is fantastic. Look at the player reviews. The GS review couldnt be more biased. Bah. There u go. Why u SHOULD get a psp. :D
PS2_Fan27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PS2_Fan27
Member since 2005 • 470 Posts

If u want better graphics, bigger screen and online support and gaming i say get a psp over ds!!!

If u like real games more then flashy colored childish games i would also suggest a psp.

With psp u also get to watch videos, listen to music and guess what, u have internet!

The PSP uses a 333 MHz MIPS R4000(32-bit) CPU, a GPU with 2 MB onboard VRAM running at 166MHz, and includes 32MB main RAM and 4MB embedded DRAM

DS uses Two ARM processors, an ARM946E-Smain CPU and ARM7TDMI co-processor at clock speeds of 67 MHz and 33 MHz respectively and has 4 MB of Mobile RAM

So its:

PSP vs DS

333 MHz CPU vs 67 MHz CPU

with 2 MB VRAM

32 MB RAM vs 4 MB RAM

4 MB DRAM vs O MB DRAM

popeto87
Wow were supposed to shoot ourselves because we bought a DS. How about you just shoot yourself for being a dumb f***. I have both a DS and PSP and Psp was really good along time ago. But I haven't played it in months because there are no new games. It is basically dead. If I were you I would save up for a Ps3 or something else that is good. But Psp's are also really good for something I cannot mention so google it,
zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts

If you solely want a handheld for gaming, I might recommend the DS as it has a larger library of AAA titles. However, the PSP still has a great library, plus all the multimedia and Internet capabilities. I didn't even realize when I bought it that I could get Skype, Internet radio, RSS feeds, Remote Play and so on. Now I use virtually every feature and love it. Someone in this thread is trying to suggest that modding your PSP for emulators and pirating is what makes it so great, but I think it is a great system right out of the box.

Edit: Actually, I take that back about the AAA titles. On Gamespot, 74 PSP games have received an 8.0 or higher, compared to 65 DS games. Considering the DS has about a 1-year head-start, that puts the PSP in the lead by my book. Of course, it all depends on WHICH games you want.

babystapler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 babystapler
Member since 2005 • 1679 Posts

Unless you really want to play Mario, Pokemon or Cooking Mama, go for the PSP. Games worth checking out are (many are pretty old, and thus pretty cheap!):

Patapon
Hot Shots Golf Open Tee 1 or 2
God of War: Chains of Olympus
Puzzle Quest
Lumines
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Metal Gear Sold: Portable Ops
Daxter
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
Secret Agent Clank
Burnout Legends/Dominator
Jeanne D'Arc
Loco Roco
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
Wipeout Pure/Pulse
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror/Logan's Shadow
Space Invaders Extreme
Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
Mega Man Powered Up

Edzem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Edzem
[QUOTE="popeto87"]

The PSP uses a 333 MHz MIPS R4000(32-bit) CPU, a GPU with 2 MB onboard VRAM running at 166MHz, and includes 32MB main RAM and 4MB embedded DRAM

So its:

PSP vs DS

333 MHz CPU vs 67 MHz CPU

with 2 MB VRAM

32 MB RAM vs 4 MB RAM

4 MB DRAM vs O MB DRAM

PS2_Fan27

Wow were supposed to shoot ourselves because we bought a DS. How about you just shoot yourself for being a dumb f***. I have both a DS and PSP and Psp was really good along time ago. But I haven't played it in months because there are no new games. It is basically dead. If I were you I would save up for a Ps3 or something else that is good. But Psp's are also really good for something I cannot mention so google it,

I dont think you have read any of the threads here neither do you know what is going on in the PSP gaming world beacuse if you knew you would not state such a ignorant comment like "it is dead"... you might have a PSP, but you are not a PSP user ( you said that yourself ) ,.,. so I am sorry to say you dont have a clue ,,.,. and I am not going to repeat myself in what is going on is the PSP gaming world , I see now it is a waste of time ,.,.,

lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts
I have a DS and PSP but I think the DS has a better game selection than the PSP.
Cobalt_Spartan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cobalt_Spartan
Member since 2008 • 326 Posts
Even though I much prefer the DS, I'd have to recommend the PSP. The media functions are good for when you don't feel like playing your games. The only complaints I have about it are the short battery life (3-5 hours), the lack of a right analog stick (takes away the fun of aiming in shooters), the unprotected screen (need to buy a screen protector), and the fact that it uses memory sticks which are quite expensive (4GB=$60). Other than that It's perfectly fine. I have one other complaint, but that's just me- the only games that interest me are Dissidia and Birth by sleep, which I can replace with 358/2 Days and Infinite Line for the DS making those games not worth purchasing for me. I'm assuming that you're a lot less picky than I am so you should be perfectly fine with a PSP. But seriously, don't put too much thought into it, you'll end up talking yourself out of buying one. Nothings perfect, so the more you think of it, the more aware you are of it's flaws and eventually you won't want one.
Edzem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Edzem

I have a DS and PSP but I think the DS has a better game selection than the PSP.lilasianwonder

Shure you are entitled to your opinion, just as I am when I say :

I am sick and tired reading about whether the DS is better or has a better gameselection ( in which I dont agree , I dont like the graphics and the stylus which means I dont like DS gameplay )

This is the PSP forum ,.,. and If I wanted to make a statement about ( the PSP is better ) then I would post in

Forums - System Wars ( and not the DS forum even if I had a DS )

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_topics.php?board_id=314159282&page=0