Historically accurate games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chien_Rouge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 Chien_Rouge
Member since 2004 • 270 Posts
Is there any room for historically accurate games in the current marketplace or would gamers get turned off when they realized they were learning? Please don't claim any game has achieved this status so far because there have been none. Sure some of the WWII games throw in some tidbits now and then but they, like movies, always fail in the end in terms of accuracy. The closet game thus far is that History Channel game on the Civil War, but what it gets right in content it butchers in gameplay and options. Is this too demanding a proposal for developers? Are we doomed to delve deeper and deeper into fantasy worlds and leave the real world behind as a inconvenient means to fund future other world experiences? I just wonder what this gaming community thinks about this issue because, to me, games appear to be a excellent educational venue, but only if they get serious treatment.
Chien_Rouge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Chien_Rouge
Sorry, I meant "closest game" not "closet game." One, of course, is far creepier and in the vein of Deliverance.
Rockingtime75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Rockingtime75
Member since 2006 • 805 Posts

Genji is. It was based on battles that actually took place. *Fights giant enemy crab*

Sorry...I couldn't help it.

Avatar image for deactivated-59603ff9b9423
deactivated-59603ff9b9423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-59603ff9b9423
Member since 2007 • 2413 Posts

Genji is an action game which is based on Japanese history. ;)

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts
Dont even try searching unless you would call a game like onimusha credible.
Chien_Rouge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Chien_Rouge
Right. I did not mean to imply that there were no games "based" on history or mythology. My question is whether or not that is sufficient or if that is the limit of gaming potential.
Avatar image for untouchables111
untouchables111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 untouchables111
Member since 2005 • 1650 Posts
I cant think of any now that you say this. and i dont know what i would think. personally i would like to see more rpg or more games like sigma and HSword. as of Right now we have enough flying, shooter,and racing games to satisfy and army/ thrill junkie.
Chien_Rouge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Chien_Rouge

Untouchables,

I couldn't agree more with your comment on the saturation of certain gaming genres. That is one reason I thought pain-stakingly accurate period games might actually find a wide audience, or at least a wider one than they might typically find. Personally I think a American Revolution RPG (action or otherwise) would be pretty sweet. Or perhaps a game that really addresses the growing sectional crisis of the North and the South before the Civil War.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

I agree somewhat to what your saying because there is a little more history in some of the WWII games. For instance the end of MOH Fronline we see the flying wing plane that after the war there were plans (maybe a photo type) of this plane found in Germany. In the MOH Riseing Sun game there was a area where a chopper was used and after the war I am thinking that there was a carrier found that had several of these on it to use as sub killers. All the weapons used in the games are as close to what was used during that era.

Even some parts of SOcom story lines deal with things that could be happening today or have already happened in the real world (just change some names and areas). They are using many weapons that are being used or maybe in development still.

These kind of games can give us a little feel of what it may have been like during the times.

Silpheed2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Silpheed2K
Member since 2005 • 579 Posts

The Bible Game ..it has a gameshow format though...

oh yeah Mario is Missing...

Chien_Rouge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chien_Rouge

You make a good point about the quality of shooters being better than other genres in regard to history. It just seems a shame that so much recorded and well-documented history goes untouched. Actually I would be really happy to see just the effort that is put into war games, put into some other historically minded genre. I think a big problem is with the perception among gamers and historians. Neither it seems wants to take the other seriously unless World War II is involved.
Chien_Rouge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chien_Rouge
True enough, trivia games are the exception to my statement. Well played. I will say in my defense that trivia games don't really take advantage of the gaming console or PC potential. Honestly I would probably rather play one as a traditional board game.
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jimm895

You make a good point about the quality of shooters being better than other genres in regard to history. It just seems a shame that so much recorded and well-documented history goes untouched. Actually I would be really happy to see just the effort that is put into war games, put into some other historically minded genre. I think a big problem is with the perception among gamers and historians. Neither it seems wants to take the other seriously unless World War II is involved. Chien_Rouge

True it would be great if developers would use more things from the past and base a game that could keep the younger generation interested in it but with more facts of what was happening during that time. We should never forget the past.

Prinze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Prinze
Member since 2003 • 4492 Posts

DYNASTY WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!

It's based on the novel "A Romance of Three Kingdoms," and is about the fall of the Han Dynasty.

Chien_Rouge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chien_Rouge
To redirect the conversation slightly, what are some gaming genres that you would like to see encorporate more history? Also do you have any specific ideas for games?
sgallag_play

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sgallag_play
Member since 2006 • 2007 Posts

Brothers in Arms Road to hill 30

That is meant to Historically accurate.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jimm895

To redirect the conversation slightly, what are some gaming genres that you would like to see encorporate more history? Also do you have any specific ideas for games?Chien_Rouge

They could maybe go back to some of the battles of Ivan the Great and how his army spread across the land.

They could try some of the battles of the Roman battles and maybe how there empire feel.

The early American battles during the coloniel times.

Just some examples to start with although there are so many that it would take a while to list and remember.

Chien_Rouge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chien_Rouge

Those are some good ideas. I think you are right that the most natural start would be other military based games. In particular I like your idea on the colonial American games. It seems a perfect fit for a First Person Action Shooter. The story could really get into the ups and downs of british "citizenship" for colonists at the time. There is a tremendous amount of literature out there that could supplement the game and really give it an authentic feel. Again those ideas really seem to have potential, I just wonder if there any developers willingly to really put the effort needed into the game(s). Oh Ivan the Great. I think it would be fantastic to be apart of a massive charge into the ranks of an oncoming army and then take part in the hand to hand combat that would ensue.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#19 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
You want to play video games to learn? Even if there were a lot more educational video games you'd probably miss out on a lot of the facts that aren't in the game. If you want something educational, why don't you watch the History Channel which was already mentioned, or better yet...read a book!?! :o
Prinze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Prinze
Member since 2003 • 4492 Posts

Those are some good ideas. I think you are right that the most natural start would be other military based games. In particular I like your idea on the colonial American games. It seems a perfect fit for a First Person Action Shooter. The story could really get into the ups and downs of british "citizenship" for colonists at the time. There is a tremendous amount of literature out there that could supplement the game and really give it an authentic feel. Again those ideas really seem to have potential, I just wonder if there any developers willingly to really put the effort needed into the game(s). Oh Ivan the Great. I think it would be fantastic to be apart of a massive charge into the ranks of an oncoming army and then take part in the hand to hand combat that would ensue. Chien_Rouge

The only real issue with historically accurate games is that they are such a small fraction of the overall gaming demographic, and with really expensive production costs now,it would be a high-risk investment for a studio, whether thrid-party or first-pary, to fund the production. I mean, these are cool ideas, and even a game like God of War that used Greek Mythology as its base took a risk, because not everyone is intrested or understands its premise.

The History Channel funded a U.S. Civil War shooter that gained zero attention, which is a shame because so much work and research goes into these typed of games in order to stay credible. Click here to check it out for yourself.

Chien_Rouge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chien_Rouge

Brothers in Arms Road to hill 30

That is meant to Historically accurate.

sgallag_play

True WWII shooters have come the closest it seems. However, outside of being handed accurate weapons and being asked to shoot at accurately dressed Germans or Japanese what is "true" about WWII shooters. Are you controlling real people, with real histories (that are also addressed)? Are you trudging across what is essentially the same terrain? Are all the vehicles and other settings accurately represented. Were there tanks (and that kind) at this particular battle? These are some of the easy questions that are generally overlooked. On a grander scale developers often miss the questions like Why did the army approach in this manner, or take this action, or not take that action. Why were prisoners of war treated in the various manners that they were? What were the driving forces behind the war? Were there any? Was it really to stop the atrocities of Hitler or was it instead economic and diplomaticly driven. Was WWII partly a ploy to maintain various colonies (vietnam anyone?) This is what I mean by historically accurate. I mean games should utilize the vast literature on a subject and then make their game, in the end it would only make the game that much better. Why just dress games up as Historical shooters why not try to really address the subject matter.

bobbysbits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 bobbysbits
Member since 2003 • 477 Posts
resistance.
Chien_Rouge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chien_Rouge

The idea is not to replace books and other educational venues with video games, but rather they would supplement those tools. If you would rather read or watch to learn, then by all means proceed, but I think it is a shame to have such a powerful medium, such as games, and not utilize it to reach those not overly fond of reading or watching documentaries. Granted you are going to miss out on a lot of stuff, but you could take a synthesis of the current historiography concerning say, the American Revolution and produce an interesting game as far as gameplay, but also one that is compelling and makes an argument. One problem is that most people see history as static, as only made up of textbook like studies. If people read more Nathan Hatch or Alan Taylor, or Gordon Wood they would see what the profession really is. This is more than reading or not reading, this is about pushing gaming somewhere new.
sgallag_play

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sgallag_play
Member since 2006 • 2007 Posts
Yeah resistance is historically. if WW II didn't happen and Chimera attacked instead of the German.
Chien_Rouge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chien_Rouge

The only real issue with historically accurate games is that they are such a small fraction of the overall gaming demographic, and with really expensive production costs now,it would be a high-risk investment for a studio, whether thrid-party or first-pary, to fund the production. I mean, these are cool ideas, and even a game like God of War that used Greek Mythology as its base took a risk, because not everyone is intrested or understands its premise.

The History Channel funded a U.S. Civil War shooter that gained zero attention, which is a shame because so much work and research goes into these typed of games in order to stay credible. Click here to check it out for yourself.

Prinze

You're right that this would be a risk, but any new game idea is a risk. I think the History Channel game did more damage to the idea of a "history" game than it helped. You pick your side, North or South, then you make your way through some simple, and at times tedious, action. The game was one player only. There was no coop or multiplayer vs. action, which meant it had zero replay value. In that game they sacrificed gaming and modern innovations for accuracy. This should not be one or the other, it can be a good game and good history.