Here's what I hate about PS4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tendoboy1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tendoboy1984
Member since 2012 • 253 Posts

The only thing I hate about the PS4 is the controller. It has a built-in battery pack that can only be charged using micro-USB. As we all know, micro-USB is extremely fragile, and I have no idea how it became the standard for mobile devices.

Microsoft gives us a choice whether to use a battery pack or AA batteries. I know the Xbox One controller also has micro-USB, but we aren't forced to use it. Rechargeable AA batteries (lithium-ion) work just fine. :)

Avatar image for xDARKGUITARISTx
xDARKGUITARISTx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2 xDARKGUITARISTx
Member since 2011 • 56 Posts

I have both systems, and quite frankly I agree. Sony fanboys always bitch and complain about how Microsoft is trying to get more money out of you, whereas I give them credit for giving you the option. Also you make an excellent point, rechargeable AA's work just fine. I use Microsoft's Play and Charge Kit because I like the simplicity, but I work out of town on a weekly basis and haul my Xbox One in a Gaems G190 Vanguard. If I forget my charge cable at home, I just steal the batteries out of the hotel TV remote and wahla. Problem solved lol

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

Have no problems with it, seems like a small gripe but just get a big micro usb cord or whatever, rather have it built in then swap out each time, but this is so small and insignificant!

shootinfool73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By shootinfool73
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I dont have a PS4 yet, but I got the PS3 charging station for the dualshock3 controllers, and that makes it simple to charge, plus no hassles with plugging in the fragile micro-usb cord because their adapter stays plugged in 24/7, and you just click it in the charging cradle. I assume the ds4 controllers will have the same charging station for them.

I like the option of the AAs - work well with the wii remotes.... but much prefer the charging station option for the ds3 controllers.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

this never bothered me since i bought my second controller and charging cradle immediately after i bought my ps4 and one controller is always fully charged (btw, the cradle doesn't use micro usb but rather the port next to the headphone output for charging)... :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@

@shootinfool73 said:

I assume the ds4 controllers will have the same charging station for them.

Yes, there is a charge cradle for the PS4. I saw it at Gamestop the other day and was kind of interested. It seems like a much better way of charging the controllers, than having to plug them in with a short usb cord.

@MondasM said:

"(btw, the cradle doesn't use micro usb but rather the port next to the headphone output for charging)... :)"

Oh that's kinda cool. Yeah I guess I wondered how that would work, if you set it right-side up onto the charger.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Have to disagree. It's one of the best features of the DS4 for me personally. Love that and the headphone jack.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

@hummer700 said:

I'm ok with it, My only gripe with the PS4 is that you cant download games while the console is off, there should be a mode where it auto shuts down from sleep mode after downloads are complete. This is one feature i loved on my xbox 360.

Are you not aware that the PS4 will download games while the console is in stand-by mode? Or are you afraid to leave your console in stand-by mode? There's nothing wrong with leaving it in stand-by mode.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#11 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@The_Rick_14 said:

@hummer700 said:

I'm ok with it, My only gripe with the PS4 is that you cant download games while the console is off, there should be a mode where it auto shuts down from sleep mode after downloads are complete. This is one feature i loved on my xbox 360.

Are you not aware that the PS4 will download games while the console is in stand-by mode? Or are you afraid to leave your console in stand-by mode? There's nothing wrong with leaving it in stand-by mode.

Funny you should say that Rick because I was tempted to do that the other night with The Phantom Pain!! When I went to work I left my system in stand-by just in case I decided to get it while I was at work.

SgtSutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SgtSutton
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

I like the built-in battery, but agree that micro usb is a bit too fragile (oh my poor Kindle). For me personally, rotating a second controller (bought one to use with PS3 pre-PS4) and a USB extender cable have made it fairly worry free, if a little ugly with the cord draped across the floor. Your point is valid but fixes are easy. Edit: There is an upcoming PS4 update that apparently will allow users to dim the DS4's lightbar, which should substantially extend battery charge time, thank God.

The battery life is my biggest issue with it. The battery dies so quickly, I don't mind not having replaceable batteries as an option

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

My main complaint with the PS4, or more specifically the controller, is battery life. It's terrible.

commandokock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 commandokock
Member since 2009 • 502 Posts

yes battery life is very short but like someone else said, after the update that allows dimming the lightbar hopefully battery life will be extended. either way id never feel like xboxs approach to powering controllers is better.

headcase650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By headcase650
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Havent bought one yet but.....if you dont have the camera why does the light bar have to be on for some reason?

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MondasM

@MarcRecon said:

@The_Rick_14 said:

@hummer700 said:

Funny you should say that Rick because I was tempted to do that the other night with The Phantom Pain!! When I went to work I left my system in stand-by just in case I decided to get it while I was at work.

actually that is what i always do, i buy the game at work, go home and play immediately... :)

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MarcRecon

@MondasM: That's definitely a cool feature but you MOST definitely better micro-manage your HD space! lol

I'm a big fan of digital media, but I know I have to be balanced when it comes to buying games.....especially since the digital versions take up so much space.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

@headcase650 said:

Havent bought one yet but.....if you dont have the camera why does the light bar have to be on for some reason?

The light bar can show other information about the game. For example, in Fifa, the color of the light corresponds to the player indicator on screen so you know which controller controls which player. Other games change the color based on your health level.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MondasM

@MarcRecon: i upgraded my hdd to 1 tb, the day i bought my ps4, it'll last for almost a year and a half... beyond that i intend to erase the older titles that i have no interest to play again, if i get the urge to play them again, i will have to download them again, again from work... :D

edit: sorry for using "again" too many times, again... :D

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MarcRecon

@MondasM said:

@MarcRecon: i upgraded my hdd to 1 tb, the day i bought my ps4, it'll last for almost a year and a half... beyond that i intend to erase the older titles that i have no interest to play again, if i get the urge to play them again, i will have to download them again, again from work... :D

edit: sorry for using "again" too many times, again... :D

Yup, being able to upgrade the HDD is another GREAT option!!

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

I have no problems with the battery life as is.