Help me understand the YLOD

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Spartacus259

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Spartacus259
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Ok, so this sucks but I recently got the YLOD on my 40GB PS3 that I've had for almost 4 years. I read this forum http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/630000?start=0&tstart=0 and followed the instructions thinking it wouldn't work, but it totally did. What happened was that I played it that day for about two hours, had it off for another five, and played for two more hours. Then I had it off for an entire day after that. Then following that (2 days after I fixed it) I turned it on and played for about 5 minutes and the YLOD happened again!! I was **** pissed. I tried that trick again and it worked again. I played for about an hour and haven't touched it since. Basically what I'm asking is why does this happen and if there's any way I can prevent it, and should I just but the warranty on PSN?
gfmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gfmetal
Member since 2003 • 94 Posts
that fix is only a temporary solution. the same thing happened to my with my original 80gb console. i was totally shocked it even worked at all, but the bottom line is it's a temporary fix; it will keep breaking what i did (and suggest to you) is just get it working long enough to get everything off of it onto a new console
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

That solution is just a poor man's version of reflowing your system, if you want to keep using the unit for several months do a complete reflow.

As for why this happens, your link does a better job of explaining it than I ever will.

halogenic_sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 halogenic_sky
Member since 2010 • 55 Posts
It essentially denotes a general hardware failure possibly caused by a dead power supply or a defective hard drive for example, although it's primarily due to soldering degradation following the repeated heating and cooling of the console. The cracks in the solder eventually impede the connections between the CPU, the GPU and the motherboard, and whilst a heat gun offers a short term solution by melting and reforging the cracks, it ultimately dries out the solder rendering the approach progressively redundant. As for the suggestion elsewhere that YLOD is a myth bear in mind that the fraud associated with the continuous play policy could only have worked if a sufficient number of dead consoles were in circulation ......
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

Gilksy claimed the one he fixed (in the video) was still going strong after two years after asking about it's longevity in a PM. I've just fixed mine, so I have a little faith. My "factory unit" has lasted about a year and eight months (first) and a year and ten months (referb from Sony). If it's going to crap out in another two years, I can just fix it again and avoid paying Sony another $190 dollars for another 60gig unit that's going to do the exact same thing again. If it's bound to happen regardless, I'd rather spend $10 for thermal paste and save $180. Screw Sony for making such a defective unit.

Spartacus259

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Spartacus259
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Seriously, this is happening to a lot of people, I don't know why Sony won't just fix it free of charge. Thanks you guys for explaining that it's only a temp fix, and just to verify, if I keep repeating this process, it will eventually crap out all together?
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

Seriously, this is happening to a lot of people, I don't know why Sony won't just fix it free of charge.Spartacus259

Souless corporation that DGAF :P

halogenic_sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 halogenic_sky
Member since 2010 • 55 Posts
spartacus259, you should look into reballing which is a wholesale replacement of the solder - not always 100% effective and potentially expensive but your call