HDMI Cable Not Working. Please Help!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jaston2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jaston2277
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

So I got an HDMI cable from Best Buy a few weeks ago and it's not working with my PS3. On the website I got the cable from it says it's compatible with the PS3 80GB model CECHE01. Mine is a PS3 80GB model CECHK01. Does this make a difference? The cable model is 13.a.When I turn the PS3 on, it doesn't say there is an HDMI cable connected. Could it be that my t.v. isn't HD? It has an HDMi port so I don't think so. Here's the link to the website and cable http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Accessories/SCPH-98090. Some people have told me to change my settings to composite first or something, but I don't reallyunderstand. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

im no cable guru but it only said its compatible with that specific ps3 then thats why is not working ( if I read it right )

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts
Hdmi's are universal. Period. Sounds like you don't know what your doing. How do you not know if your Tvs Hdmi compatible??? If it is, you just have to set it up. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds and on your screen It'll give you the option to switch cable settings. I remember a bunch of dudes telling me the PS3 was simple. It sure as hell ain't. (user friendly my ass)
SageJMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 SageJMP
Member since 2004 • 4210 Posts

Plug in both the composite cables to the PS3 and also the hdmi cable into the PS3. Plug them both into the TV also.

Turn on the TV, select the composite Input on the TV. You should see your PS3 image on the TV.

Go to the PS3 settings and go to the Display settings, select Video Output Settings and change it to HDMI, and hit automatic. The image should now disappear.

Quickly (you have 30 seconds) and change the input to HDMI on your TV, you should see the PS3 image and confirm that the setting is working.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

There is no difference in HDMI cables. The best way to get the system to find the correct cable is have the HDMI connection on your TV selected and then turn the PS3 on from stand-by but don't release the power sensor until you hear the second beep (you gotta release sensor quicky when you hear the beep). I have played around with this and it never has failed to work regardless of how many times it's done, the main thing is timming when it's time to release the sensor.

idk761

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 idk761
Member since 2008 • 3229 Posts
All I did was plug in the HDMI cables, shutdown my PS3, then reboot and it basically did everything for me.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
You overpayed for your cable. You could have got a quality cable from a reputable site like Monoprice or Amazon.
jaston2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jaston2277
When I turn on the HDMI setting, the screen goes blank for the 30 seconds so I can't change the settings. It's just not working! :(
SageJMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SageJMP
Member since 2004 • 4210 Posts

When I turn on the HDMI setting, the screen goes blank for the 30 seconds so I can't change the settings. It's just not working! :(jaston2277

you have to switch your TV to HDMI also.

2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

I can't believe people actually pay for those "monster" products. Incredibly expensive and no different at all

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Duckman5
When I turn on the HDMI setting, the screen goes blank for the 30 seconds so I can't change the settings. It's just not working! :(jaston2277
You are changing your TV to the HDMI setting right?
jaston2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jaston2277
Oh. How do I do that? Sorry for my lack of knowledge with electronics.
jkocher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jkocher
Member since 2002 • 203 Posts

You use the TV remote to change the input to HDMI.

robertmac_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 robertmac_33
Member since 2004 • 849 Posts

Oh. How do I do that? Sorry for my lack of knowledge with electronics.jaston2277

There should be a "source" button or "AV" button on your remote, should give you a list of options SCART, AV, COMPOSITE, HDMI etc

Doesnt sound like theres a problem with your PS3 i've just started using hdmi from the boxed cables, plugged the HDMI into the PS3 then the TV, changed tv to HDMI switched PS3 on, system alerted that the video settings have been changed, then done a test to check for the optimal picture settings. Pretty straight forward tbh

Oh on a side note, dont get suckered in to buying "High Quality, Gold plated, produced in an oxygen free environment" cables, cheap cables are just as good as the expensive ones, gold plating does nothing, HDMI is digital, It either works or it doesnt.

Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
it also could be that the slots on either your tv or Ps3 are really dusty
Darkangel-86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Darkangel-86
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
You know honestly, there are way too many things that could be causing this error, I would take the PS3 and the cable and try them on a another TV (Take it to GameStop) or something and try it there, if it works, then you know it is your TV that is giving you the trouble. If still nothing comes out, go get a different HDMI cable from a friend or so, and try it on both your TV and another TV if it works... you know it's the cable... IF ALL that doesn't work, you know that something is absolutely wrong with your PS3... Call Sony's customer support, I have done this before (not too long ago, about 3 weeks ago) My PS3 survived a strong power-surge, and my HDMI stopped working completely... Sony fixed it through their out-of-warranty service for 150 dollars... They actually just gave me a brand new PS3 for 150 dollars, and didn't even bother fixing my old one... which sucked.. because I lost all my data... I had no idea they were going to just ship a brand new one so I didn't make any backups etc... but yeah.. that MAYBE your only solution to this problem... HDMI on the PS3 itself could go bad... if your PS3 went through a power surge, or something of that sort... So try that... and keep me posted. Good luck.
Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts
Well usually when you plug in an HDMI cable, your system should detect it and ask to change it. What i can suggest is that you plug what you were using before you bought the HDMI cable (Standard or Component), go into the settings on your PS3, then Display settings, configure it to an HDMI cable (Make sure your HDMI cable is pluged in your system to TV). Hopefully that will work.
jaston2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jaston2277
Omg thanks! It finally works. Lol I just did some random thing with the AV mode button then it just worked! Thank you soooooo much!
M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#19 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

Buy another one, maybe :|

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Duckman5
Omg thanks! It finally works. Lol I just did some random thing with the AV mode button then it just worked! Thank you soooooo much!jaston2277
Lol so you didn't have your TV set to HDMI. Well at least it's working now.
flashy998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 flashy998
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
whenever i do that, it says, "press the x button the screen will displayed on this setting". then i hit x and go through all the channels and it isnt in hd anywhere, then 30 seconds later i get it in standard def again on video 2. ive gone through 2 cables now so its not the cable thats broke. i dont understand if i have some setting wrong on my ps3 or what.
bdgst14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bdgst14
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I just moved yesterday and when I set everything back up in my new home, my PS3 no longer works in HD. My PS3 is not recognizing my HDMI cable. I have tried all the "easy" fixes , such as a) powering down/unplugging everything, reconnecting, and holding power for the 2nd beep, b) connecting with AV and HDMI cables and then switching the output back to HDMI from the Display Options settings. When I hook it up with the AV and HDMI cables it comes through in SD (so the PS3's not totally fried)--after choosing HDMI, when the screen goes black I select the appropriate input on my TV and still get "No Signal". I normally run sound through a digital optical connection--I've been going into sound settings and changing this to HDMI to check the HDMI that way, and I receive an error message about the HDMI. I should also mention that I have tried multiple HDMI cables (that otherwise work), and have tried both HDMI inputs on my TV (resetting everything the way Sony tells you to before each test). I'm planning on calling Sony this afternoon, but was hoping someone might have a suggestion in the meantime--I fear that Sony will tell me it's the unit and I'm out of warranty.
jcallegri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jcallegri
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
hi everyone, having the same problem as everyone else... i own a ps3 slim and the hdmi connection was working until about two weeks ago, i was mixing between a 46" and a 22" tv and it was working perfectly, then when i got back to university tried to connect it to a 26" tv and all of a sudden the connection won't work, I've tried other hdmi cables but nothing, the TV notices something is there but no image is shown... any help?