Have you bought any of the $9.99 PS1 games?

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

It's sad to see gaming companies gouging the public. Most PS1 titles on PSN are $5.99, but as you all know there are a few games that have a price tag that's nearly double.

The purpose of this thread is to see how many people here actually think this is an acceptable practice.

I'll admit that I'm guilty of purchasing SOTN for $9.99...but I'm not proud of it.
Then I see Resident Evil and want it...but I'll naver pay $10 for something that could (and should) be around half the price.

So what's up? Do you think this is an ok thing for game compaies to do, or do you see it as nothing but a weak cash-grab?

Also: have you bought any of these $10 titles, and if so would you do it again?

cabose38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 cabose38
Member since 2005 • 1162 Posts

MGS

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

well i bought RE 2 buts thats it. I cant remember if it was 10 or 5 but i will say it was worth it. 10$ is not a lot of money even if you dont have a job. I played through all the sections pt a and b for both characters and had a ton of fun. It was also quite lengthy. I feel because of that it was worth it and what your really paying for is convenience. You could always go and find yourself a copy of the game on ebay or something like that but it might be more expensive and you dont have instant access.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
FFVII, VIII, and Grandia are games I bought for $10. Each game offers enough playtime that I have no problems spending $10 on them. I also got SOTN but that was half off so it doesn't count.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

well i bought RE 2 buts thats it. I cant remember if it was 10 or 5Gen007

Only the first RE is $10 I think.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

FFVII, VIII, and Grandia are games I bought for $10. Each game offers enough playtime that I have no problems spending $10 on them. I also got SOTN but that was half off so it doesn't count.Eikichi-Onizuka

Yeah the FF's have to be worth it as well. If you had to get a disc copy you would probably be paying much more.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts

Can you tell me who the hell are you to say a product (game) should be the price you want? No offense but your comment about you feeling guilty for spending $9.99 for SOTN is the funniest and most ridiculous one i have heard in a long time. $9.99 for quality tittles that are fun is right.

I paid that amount for FFVII and Grandia. You should be glad the cost just $5.99 and $9.99, i can't imagine you in the SNES, Genesis and the N64 and PS1 era. Take a look at the prices of games back then:

Hey look SOTN for price was $49.99.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#8 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I bought RE3 Nemesis....it was somewhat a ripoff in price but what the heck!!! lol

greatsharkhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 greatsharkhunt
Member since 2010 • 72 Posts
mgs, ff 7 and crash 3, i liked crash 3 a lot never played it before
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#10 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

I've never owned a Playstation one.

only PS2 and PS3.

so....

I have bought

Final Fantasy 7

Final Fantasy 8

Final Fantasy 9

Metal Gear Solid

I've only finished Metal Gear Solid.

I've been interested in

Castlevania : Lord of Shadow and the OddWorld games.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
I bought MGS and Castlevania and I don't regret either. PS1 games are PERFECT for the PSP :) It was also my first time playing Castlevania too and it was fantastic.
nero_rules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nero_rules
Member since 2008 • 738 Posts
FF7, 8, 9 and SOTN It's overpriced, but oh well... those were the games I wanted most. It's the same price Nintendo is charging for N64 games on their VC service, so it's not like it's unprecedented.
nero_rules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nero_rules
mgs, ff 7 and crash 3, i liked crash 3 a lot never played it beforegreatsharkhunt
All the Crash games are $5.99. Same with all the Spyro games. Probably some of the best deals on PSN.
cropcircles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cropcircles
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts
games i have bought from PSN for 9.99 SoTN FFVII FFVIII FFIX FFtactics MGS Grandia All very much worth it.
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

I bought MGS, they cost the same as N64 games do on the VC. I don't see the big deal

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18811 Posts
I bought MGS1 but i don't way I bought Resident Evil DC as i didn't like the game back in the day.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PSP107
[QUOTE="soulreaper-4"]

Can you tell me who the hell are you to say a product (game) should be the price you want? No offense but your comment about you feeling guilty for spending $9.99 for SOTN is the funniest and most ridiculous one i have heard in a long time. $9.99 for quality tittles that are fun is right.

I paid that amount for FFVII and Grandia. You should be glad the cost just $5.99 and $9.99, i can't imagine you in the SNES, Genesis and the N64 and PS1 era. Take a look at the prices of games back then:

*sniff sniff* oh the memories. lol, where did u get that?
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#18 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Final Fantasy VIII and IX, only because they offer a ton of gameplay for the price. Things like Tomb Raider priced at $10 is just insulting, though.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

It's sad to see gaming companies gouging the public. Most PS1 titles on PSN are $5.99, but as you all know there are a few games that have a price tag that's nearly double.

$10 For a lot of those games is a great price. Ignoring the quality of the games, then just because of the price of buying a used disk copy. The Final Fantasy Games, Resident Evil 2, Grandia, Suikoden, etc are easily worth the prices charged. I'd rather own a physical copy of games or I already do so I haven't bought anything.
Marmotas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Marmotas
Member since 2004 • 2944 Posts

Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 9, Castlevania: SotN.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

FF7, FF8, RE1, RE2 and RE3(I think it was $10). I feel perfectly fine paying that price tag as they are amazing games except RE3 which is probably my least favorite in the series. I mean, I've gotten more time from some of those PS1 games than full $60 PS3 games(looking at you GoW3) especially FF7 and FF8.

nero_rules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nero_rules

FF7, FF8, RE1, RE2 and RE3(I think it was $10). I feel perfectly fine paying that price tag as they are amazing games except RE3 which is probably my least favorite in the series. I mean, I've gotten more time from some of those PS1 games than full $60 PS3 games(looking at you GoW3) especially FF7 and FF8.

anime_gamer007
Really? I loved RE3... (it's only $5.99 by the way - only RE1 was $9.99 for some reason).
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

scratch that just picked up the Oddworld games (both of them) for a tidy 10 bucks.

only one on the catalog - AT THE MOMENT - that has gotten my interest is Castlevania : Symphony of the Night. Primarily because it looks neat, and my friends rave about it.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

[QUOTE="anime_gamer007"]

nero_rules

Really? I loved RE3... (it's only $5.99 by the way - only RE1 was $9.99 for some reason).

It was alright imo. I just prefer a specific location in RE games i.e. The Mansion - RE1, Police Station - RE2. Having almost all of Raccoon City to run about was just too much and you got so much ammo in the beginning, I know you need a lot to fight Nemesis but the fights with Nemesis sucked imo. It doesn't help that he randomly shows up too. I know there's a lot of people love it, I didn't especially coming off RE2.

I feel they should have done what they were originally going to do with that game and not have a number "3" in the title. It felt too much like a side story to RE2 to called "Resident Evil 3", CODE:Veronica should have gotten that title imo.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

Metal Gear Solid.

I really think they should be $5.99 because buying the physical disk of said games are even less now, floating around all second hand now...

doesntcare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 doesntcare
Member since 2007 • 1219 Posts

[QUOTE="soulreaper-4"]

PSP107

*sniff sniff* oh the memories. lol, where did u get that?

Indeed the memories, I would gladly pay that price for colony wars. Had alot fun playing that game...

RogueShodown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RogueShodown
Member since 2009 • 2818 Posts

soulreaper-4

That's some faulty logic. Why would you even think of comparing the price of an old game back when it was just released to its current price? It's been at least a decade since most of these games came out, so you'd naturally expect them to depreciate in value. It's not like you can't find current gen games at equivalent prices, either. I got a bunch of used Xbox 360 games like PGR3 and GRAW for less than the price of these PS1 c1assics on the PS store. If you didn't notice there are tons of current gen. games that can be bought for $20-$30 -- or less if you look around.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Vassup gamer007! Good ta see ya!

I've purchased "Castlevania SotN", "FFVIII", "Metal Gear Solid", and from the amount of fun they've brought into my life, I vote $10 as well-worth it. Now, asking $10 for "4x4 Hardcore" or "Ford Racing" would be gouging. The three games I have listed here (and I might have more of the $10 games on my PSP, it's been awhile since I took stock) are not only good games, they are classics of the time period and examples of how great viseo games can be... They've aged well and demand respect. As someone has already stated, they are the perfect addition to one's PSP library as well as excellent history lessons for any gamer.

I've said it before, say it again: a Great Game is a Great Game, and time has no meaning when it comes to works of art. They only become more valued if they were of any value in the first place.

Gladly pay the price again, for the right titles...

*koff* "COLONY WARS ALREADY" *koff*

(HA! Saw your post after I put mine up, doesntcare!!! We are united on this Colony Wars topic...)

;)

-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts
FFVIII FFIX Vagrant Story (UK Store) I heard its very good but I havn't even played it yet.
Francision69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 Francision69
Member since 2007 • 1763 Posts
I bought SOTN and RE before. Kinda regret it. :(
jocaju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jocaju
Member since 2007 • 853 Posts

I got Resident Evil 1 and MGS for $10 each, but I would've paid $15 for each.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#32 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I don't go back to PS1 or PS2 games now, I had fun with them at the time but would never go back and play them.

CheekyIchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 CheekyIchi
Member since 2010 • 739 Posts

Nope and probably never will buy any games online.

DanC1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 DanC1989
Member since 2004 • 50952 Posts
No, I haven't.
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
mgs, ffvii, sphylon filter and ryman :3
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

I've bought all the final fantasys, SoTn, and Rayman 2.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

soulreaper-4

SoTn is well worth that price imo.

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

*sniff sniff* oh the memories. lol, where did u get that?PSP107
LOL, damn you stole my lines. I just about to ask where the hell he go that from too.

But on the real, I can't say I've bought many PS1 titles off PSN (still need to get MGS & RE), but clearly the OP haven't looked at some of the prices ppl, on places like Ebay and whatnot, charge for some of those old PS1 titles (especially the good ones). Hell, I was glad to pick up SH for 6 bucks compare to what some of these dipsticks like to try and rip people off on Ebay for a copy (kid you not, I've seen ppl sell it well over 50+ bucks if not more!!).

As soulreaper perfectly pointed out, the PSN prices are a drop in the bucket compared to how much many of those titles originally cost back in the days.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

SOTN wasn't worth $10? You're crazy! I was more than happy to pay ten for that game, it's a piece of nostalgic game awesomeness!

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PSP107

[QUOTE="PSP107"]*sniff sniff* oh the memories. lol, where did u get that?PumpkinBoogie

LOL, damn you stole my lines. I just about to ask where the hell he go that from too.

But on the real, I can't say I've bought many PS1 titles off PSN (still need to get MGS & RE), but clearly the OP haven't looked at some of the prices ppl, on places like Ebay and whatnot, charge for some of those old PS1 titles (especially the good ones). Hell, I was glad to pick up SH for 6 bucks compare to what some of these dipsticks like to try and rip people off on Ebay for a copy (kid you not, I've seen ppl sell it well over 50+ bucks if not more!!).

As soulreaper perfectly pointed out, the PSN prices are a drop in the bucket compared to how much many of those titles originally cost back in the days.

I actually don't remember PS1 games being $49.99
electrosoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 electrosoul
Member since 2009 • 88 Posts

i bought final fantasy 7 and resident evil 1

hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

Metal Gear Solid. That was $10... Right?

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Metal Gear Solid. That was $10... Right?

hanslacher54

Yep. And Every Penny Worth It.

:D

sicario146

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 sicario146
Member since 2006 • 438 Posts

i get all my ps1 9.99 for free i got castlevania son for free whit my castevania lord of shadow and i a ps plus member so im happy

bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#45 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
MGS. FF7 and 8, and probably 9 later on. Considering at the prices some people want for these games on ebay I don't mind spending 10 bucks.
hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#46 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts

I will probably get mgs sometime soon because its one of my favourite games and its great to have access to it even though i sold my old ps1 years ago. I wish the games were cheaper but i will still spend $10 on mgs but thats about the only game i will pay that price for.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#47 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
The prices would seem less ludicrous if they accounted for some of those rare games that weren't in a significant pressing to begin with. Namely, some of those more obscure games that were for the PlayStation1. I myself would LOVE to get myself a US copy of Bust a Groove 1 (have BaG 2), as I like the soundtrack in that more. However, you can't even find a BOX of it for less than $70 on eBay. :evil: :cry:
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Symphony of the Night.
scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#49 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
The Crash and Spyro games are awesome. But too bad I already played the crap out of them back in the PS1 days.
kong_sevixnine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kong_sevixnine
Member since 2008 • 940 Posts
MGS. When you're little, you see such cool games that, at the same time, you don't get because it isn't good for a youngster. Then, you gotta make up by buying those games. It's hard to get a cheap copy of MGS, so.... But I have to say I think that only really popular games are $9.99. Soul Reaver is a fantastic, lengthy, challenging, varied, and had a lot of extra areas and powers n stuff.... yet it is only $6. I still have to say that It isn't a fantastic price, but, I definitely would pay $10 for a PS1 game than $10 for an N64 game