GT5 Career Mode needs Improvement - Here's How

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dave1311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dave1311
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Hi, i don't normally post stuff in such depth tbh but this is literally driving me round the bend...

I bought GT5:P and love it, it looks great and i feel it is the most realistic driving sim out there, i just feel frustrated at the lack of challenge brought by the career mode and these need improving in the full game. Firstly, you can never lose. Thats lame, i like to be challenged and in all honesty all you have to do is win races with slightly higher spec cars for a particualr event and save save save for the next car up which will give you a good chance to win the next race. Id love it if Polyphony gave me the opton to make it more difficult. Here's how i think it could be better:

1. Have a fee for the event (any event! C class upwards).

2. Now you have promised accurate damage physics - please make the cost of the damage you do come out of your credits (thus encouraging you not to bumper your way round a corner for example). OR better, have an insurance aspect of the game and if you crash all the time your premiums sky-rocket.

3. Set a limit on the spec car you can use, for example in the daytona course (where top speed is lord) have a top BHP and have one or two cars with a similar BHP. This means you actually have to race properly by making use of slipstreams and sticking to the best race line etc.

4. Perhaps offer incentives for turning off race lines and brake assists etc if you have the chance to use them. Things like race-lines are great for getting to know a track, so if you can be encouraged to turn the aides off earlier and get a reward somehow i feel that this will make the game more rewarding.

I think you get the general feel for my ideas. Basically i feel if these arent implemented even as options for people like myself i think that GT5 won't be as good a leap forward as it should be. I think having situations whereby a racer can go bust if he/she risks all their money on one vital race BUT could afford that shiny AM DB9 if they manage 2nd or better would be an amazing feeling. Plus if you fail one time, have to sell all your cars and start again with a mini or whatever, when you do make it further next time every shiny new car you purchase will be that much better.

Ok, enough waffling from me! Let me know what you think and please, if you feel this is a worthy cause spread the message on other forums and hopefully someone from Polyphony will pick it up. Thanks for reading. PSN: Dave1311 if anyone fancies a race!

analog10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 analog10
Member since 2003 • 377 Posts

Hi, i don't normally post stuff in such depth tbh but this is literally driving me round the bend...

I bought GT5:P and love it, it looks great and i feel it is the most realistic driving sim out there, i just feel frustrated at the lack of challenge brought by the career mode and these need improving in the full game. Firstly, you can never lose. Thats lame, i like to be challenged and in all honesty all you have to do is win races with slightly higher spec cars for a particualr event and save save save for the next car up which will give you a good chance to win the next race. Id love it if Polyphony gave me the opton to make it more difficult. Here's how i think it could be better:

1. Have a fee for the event (any event! C class upwards).

2. Now you have promised accurate damage physics - please make the cost of the damage you do come out of your credits (thus encouraging you not to bumper your way round a corner for example). OR better, have an insurance aspect of the game and if you crash all the time your premiums sky-rocket.

3. Set a limit on the spec car you can use, for example in the daytona course (where top speed is lord) have a top BHP and have one or two cars with a similar BHP. This means you actually have to race properly by making use of slipstreams and sticking to the best race line etc.

4. Perhaps offer incentives for turning off race lines and brake assists etc if you have the chance to use them. Things like race-lines are great for getting to know a track, so if you can be encouraged to turn the aides off earlier and get a reward somehow i feel that this will make the game more rewarding.

I think you get the general feel for my ideas. Basically i feel if these arent implemented even as options for people like myself i think that GT5 won't be as good a leap forward as it should be. I think having situations whereby a racer can go bust if he/she risks all their money on one vital race BUT could afford that shiny AM DB9 if they manage 2nd or better would be an amazing feeling. Plus if you fail one time, have to sell all your cars and start again with a mini or whatever, when you do make it further next time every shiny new car you purchase will be that much better.

Ok, enough waffling from me! Let me know what you think and please, if you feel this is a worthy cause spread the message on other forums and hopefully someone from Polyphony will pick it up. Thanks for reading. PSN: Dave1311 if anyone fancies a race!

dave1311

Interesting...

1. I guess that the "fee" for the event is the play time and completion of the previous events. Or do you mean a fee for each race? If so that's a bit off putting but on the other hand it could be like a race manager type of game where you are responsible for the financials.

2.I don't recall any promises of damage physics but you are already given a time penalty for bumping and short cutting. The insurance side would tie in well with the Race manager style.

3. Regulated BHP/KW is sort of already done isn't it?

4. The reward for me in GT games is beating my own lap times. I don't think I should be rewarded for having race lines or assists turned of in a financial way as the reward is in the gameplay itself. Most assists slow you don anyway.

I like some of your ideas and maybe a manager mode could be fun. Personally I'd like to see harsh penalty's to discourage online players from being spoil sports, as they are time wasters and frustraters.

SandSpiderII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 SandSpiderII
Member since 2007 • 370 Posts
I like the ideas here. I can't wait to get the prolouge when it comes out in the US!
dave1311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dave1311
Some good points here! I like the Racing Manager idea, i think it sums up my points! Interesting point about online too, i actually havent had a go yet but im sure your point is valid and hopefully will be fixed.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts
I don't see why people are complaining about a game that isn't fully out until a year from now, so why are there so many complaints about a demo and then some
nsoufiani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 nsoufiani
Member since 2004 • 1829 Posts

I don't see why people are complaining about a game that isn't fully out until a year from now, so why are there so many complaints about a demo and then somegamenerd15

i havnt complained or anything but its their right to complain when they pay £25 for it. Yeah it may be a demo, but its a £25 demo. You want to get your moneys worth.

AGMing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AGMing
Member since 2003 • 1694 Posts
such a pointless thread, no one has seen anything on GT5 (full version) so career mode improvements on a system that we know nothing about is pretty dumb.
mcgillmaine01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#8 mcgillmaine01
Member since 2003 • 2171 Posts

you need to change jobs sir! I love all the ideas.....hopefully we'll see change. I also look for great challenge in games. And I might hold off on this to see if there is change. You make it seem that's it's almost "boring" to play the game.

Other then Online play. This game doesn't sound to good. IMO

truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts

GOOD IDEAS!

But GT 5 is not out for like a year or so. The have this demo you can get for like 40 or 50 bucks thow. Its like 4 to 7 % of parts that will be in GT 5.

dave1311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dave1311

pointless/dumb thread? I dont appreciate that.

First of all, i am not complaining an ounce, but surely one of the points of GT5:Pr was to get feedback for the full game, im merely offering an opinion.

Secondly, yes it's a year away but now is the time to get ideas across, there is no way any feedback would be noticed and included say a month or two from release when most of the devlopment would have been finished.

I have read other ppls opinions that GT5 just doesnt suggest it is a big enough leap from GT4 (except graphically of course) i just feel this is what would improve it for me as an in-game option.

Hopefully that will clear that up!

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 DuhQbnSiLo
Member since 2007 • 622 Posts
if they charged you to race you'd be complaining that you cant make enough money cause you have to pay to enter
AGMing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AGMing
Member since 2003 • 1694 Posts

pointless/dumb thread? I dont appreciate that.

First of all, i am not complaining an ounce, but surely one of the points of GT5:Pr was to get feedback for the full game, im merely offering an opinion.

Secondly, yes it's a year away but now is the time to get ideas across, there is no way any feedback would be noticed and included say a month or two from release when most of the devlopment would have been finished.

I have read other ppls opinions that GT5 just doesnt suggest it is a big enough leap from GT4 (except graphically of course) i just feel this is what would improve it for me as an in-game option.

Hopefully that will clear that up!

dave1311

not really GT4 prolouge was just a taster of what is to come just like GT5P, i would imagine the career mode in GT5 is already well into development and has been for the last year or so.

didn't mean to come across harsh btw but in all honesty game developers do what they think is best and i doubt they browse the GS forums looking for ideas to implement in there games.

dave1311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dave1311

"if they charged you to race you'd be complaining that you cant make enough money cause you have to pay to enter"

I really wouldn't and i think i haven't made it clear enough (plus im not complaining!), i know nothing about how real races take place but i imagined that the racers would put some stake in but maybe im wrong. If there is an easy race on prologue you can just do it over and over again with a higher performance car until you can afford a better car. Thinking about it my suggestion doesnt fix that in the slightest but i think it does need to be re-thought, else there is less of a challenge to acquire the awesome cars. Any suggestions would interest me.

With regard to the post above, dont worry i didnt take it personally! I guess you are probably right and maybe i am just paranoid that it wont be as good as i hope. Developers probabaly do have better things to than to trawl forums! I guess all i can say is i hope there is a good expansion and that there is a greater depth. I for one would love that!

Anyway, thanks for contributing everyone! Laters

hokioma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hokioma
Member since 2005 • 193 Posts

Maybe they could change some events into actual "races" instead of starting last and have to pass through all the grandmas on their way to bingo night... just a thought. A.I is pathetic at best. (currently on A so maybe S is a bit better...)

Still enjoy it though. and the in car view is so awsome.