GoW:A - not many people care?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Carving_a_GSAU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Carving_a_GSAU
Member since 2012 • 58 Posts

Going into this gen GoW3 was the big thing that a lot of people were waiting for, but ever since Uncharted 2 it seems everyone's all about Naughty Dog and no one cares about Santa Monica anymore. Is it just me thats noticed this? While Last of Us looks awesome, I think GoW easily looks better visually. I dont get why GoW is not being hyped up on sites like GS, GT and IGN as much as games like Uncharted 3 did.

...Oh yeh, im a grfx whore.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Last of Us is a brand new IP from the dream team that made Uncharted 2

God of War is a spinoff

DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 DaRq_MiNoS
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

I am very much looking forward to GoW:A. I dunno if it's not as big because Naughty Dog is coming out with its 4th big game this gen, and GoW is coming out with its 2nd.

I see GoW as basically Tomb Raider in a different setting -- it's combat, platforming, and puzzles. I love both TR and GoW, so next month is going to be a good one for me :)

Childeater10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Childeater10
Member since 2006 • 3027 Posts

I admit i really didn't care for the game. All this talk about the multiplayer is meh to me in a GoW game. However when they released the first 30 minutes of the game... it looked incredible. I forgot how epic the series has been. I may pick it up day one.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I personally thought GoW3 was underwhelming, and it seems Ascension is following the same suit.
GG-EvdK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GG-EvdK
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

^ GoW 3 underwhelming, seriously?

The GoW saga was my first purchase for the PS3. I absoluty loved it and got all 5 games platinum. I found GoW 3 best of all, great graphics, action packed and an engaging story.

Haven't heard much about GoW:A though. I probably pick it up sooner or later but I have many other great games to play first.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I played God of War 3 for a few evenings.  It was almost identical to the first game, except all the wonderful variety in the gameplay that made the first one so fun was completely gone.  It was just pure button mashing on one enemy after another.  Worse yet it seemed so focused on brutality that it managed to turn even me off.

I'm not interested in that franchise at all any more and it has nothing to do with Naughty Dog.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Because it's coming right before 2 new things- TLOU and next gen. This is more of the same (which is fine by me personally).
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

While there is a new online multiplayer, most people play God of War for the single player, but that single player has remained almost entirely unchanged since the very first game... I think it's getting old now is all.

DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaRq_MiNoS

Because it's coming right before 2 new things- TLOU and next gen. This is more of the same (which is fine by me personally).Floppy_Jim

I wouldn't say "right before." The Last of Us is now coming out in mid-June (3 months after GoWA) and the next gen is holiday season. It is coming out in a packed month though: Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite are 2 highly anticipated titles. Add the fact that you've got DS3, MGRR, and Crysis 3 this month, and that's A LOT of spotlight to go around. If it was coming out in a dry season, I'm sure it'd be all anyone was talking about.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

I am just not digging multiplayer and god of war mix. Hopefully Sony doesn't pay little attention to single player storyline and pay all attention to the multiplayer. If it turns out to be as great as 1,2 and 3, I will get it though. I am watching video clips and I have to say that it looks SWEEEEET! There is a 99.99999% chance that I will be getting it.

The more that I think about it.... This series needed a prequel more than a God of War 4. It just sounds more interesting....Kratos as human!

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

I don't know. I think I'm starting to grow tired of the God of War series. The games are still great but after playing through five of them now, I'm just losing interest really. Quality's still AAA though. I'll probably rent it first through Gamefly and then pick it up later for really cheap.

Honestly, part of me wishes Santa Monica would work on Heavenly Sword 2 (even if for the PS4). I know Ninja Theory apparently isn't coming back but Sony still owns the rights to the series. That would be a great surprise for me.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
I don't care for the mult-player but there are tons of people out there buying it for this new feature. I personally will not get it on day one but eventually when it drops in price.
contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

I am very much looking forward to God Of War Ascension, but I do believe many are growing quite tired of the series after 5 titles. I just finished playing through God Of War 3 again, this time on the Titan difficulty setting (hard) and it was fantastic, better than ever. Ascension is looking great, but the series has always favoured evolution rather than revolution. Each title brings a number of tweaks and additions which refine the gameplay more and more, this looks to be no different. Although most players don't realise how much some of these small features really improve the quality of each game.

However I agree that Ascension looks fantastic, I can see why Uncharted and The Last Of Us get the bulk of the praise visually, as they allow the player to maneuver the camera, you can look at detials up close and every element needs to be detailed. God Of War however never gives the player that control, textures only need to look good from a distance and they do not have to render everything at once as the player can only see what the camera allows.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
Im getting it, but I cant get all hyped for some thing that is just the samething as before just with new enemies.
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

I'm gonna give it a rent for sure. It's just that I was really dissapointed by GOW 3, GOW 2 was just too good to be outdone I guess. Also I'm not a big fan of prequels, i'm rarely interested by a character's past

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts
I look forward to the to the game, I enjoyed all the previous titles and I'm sure Ascension will deliver. I had lots of fun with the multiplayer beta but it's all about Kratos campaign which I'm positive will be memorable.
Spartan_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Spartan_N7
Member since 2013 • 581 Posts
Im buying the God of War Playstation 3 bundle when I get my taxes back, so of course Im getting it lol.
BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

I'm gonna give it a rent for sure. It's just that I was really dissapointed by GOW 3, GOW 2 was just too good to be outdone I guess. Also I'm not a big fan of prequels, i'm rarely interested by a character's past

da_illest101

Kratos is running out of enemies because he is killing them all. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the old classic Gods back. Prequel can bring back some of the characters back like Ares.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Don't really care about GoW: A... like GoW somewhat but I only buy hack n slash games cheap.

haze_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 haze_blaze
Member since 2003 • 3907 Posts

I'll pick it up... just not at launch. I'm really only interested in the single player, so I'll be waiting for the first price drop. Sim City and Bioshock Infinite will keep me busy until Last of Us comes out.

I might change my tune after reading reviews... but GOW2 was still the best one so far imo. So even though I'm a GOW fan, I'm not as hyped for this one as I was for GOW3. Plus, I was actually kind of excited when they said they were going to be taking a break from GOW for a while... I had hoped that meant they would be doing a new IP next. So I was a little disappointed to see yet another GOW game so soon.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

I'll pick it up... just not at launch. I'm really only interested in the single player, so I'll be waiting for the first price drop. Sim City and Bioshock Infinite will keep me busy until Last of Us comes out.

I might change my tune after reading reviews... but GOW2 was still the best one so far imo. So even though I'm a GOW fan, I'm not as hyped for this one as I was for GOW3. Plus, I was actually kind of excited when they said they were going to be taking a break from GOW for a while... I had hoped that meant they would be doing a new IP next. So I was a little disappointed to see yet another GOW game so soon.

haze_blaze

So soon? It has been almost exactly 3 years...

Cloud418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cloud418
Member since 2005 • 1969 Posts
I couldn't wait to play GOW3 after that GOW2 cliffhanger! And it did NOT dissapoint.... This new game however....eh. I am sure it will be good but really the only gripe I have is that it is a prequel. I would of loved to see a sequel and see if Kratos truly did die. Also, when is this new game suppose to take place? Between 1 & 2? Before 1? Wasn't there already a prequel or two before the first game? Does Ascension take place between those two prequels? I don't know even know anymore...
haze_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 haze_blaze

[QUOTE="haze_blaze"]

StrongBlackVine

So soon? It has been almost exactly 3 years...

2-3 yrs in between games is pretty normal... I was hoping to see them do a new IP before the next GOW title. Like I said, I love GOW... But after 3 playstation games and 2 portable games, the gameplay doesn't seem to have evolved much. If the campaign is 10+ hours and it has a great story... I'd probably be tempted to pick it up before a price drop anyway though.
haze_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 haze_blaze
[QUOTE="Cloud418"]I couldn't wait to play GOW3 after that GOW2 cliffhanger! And it did NOT dissapoint.... This new game however....eh. I am sure it will be good but really the only gripe I have is that it is a prequel. I would of loved to see a sequel and see if Kratos truly did die. Also, when is this new game suppose to take place? Between 1 & 2? Before 1? Wasn't there already a prequel or two before the first game? Does Ascension take place between those two prequels? I don't know even know anymore...

Yea, maybe that's part of it for me too. I'm less interested in a prequel when I already know how the story ends.... not to mention there have already been like two prequels.
nolson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nolson
Member since 2003 • 1141 Posts

Last of Us is a brand new IP from the dream team that made Uncharted 2

God of War is a spinoff

whiskeystrike

How is God of War ascension a spin off? It's a main entry in the series done by the same team. not a spinoff such as mg rising.

Carving_a_GSAU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Carving_a_GSAU
Member since 2012 • 58 Posts

yeh i get what what you guys are saying. Perhaps it should have been a VITA game? Keep numbered GoW games on PS3 (or PS4), and the other ones on handheld. Sucks for Santa Monica though. They have been working there asses off to create what I believe is the best looking title of this gen, but not many people care. Well, not as many as for Naughty Dog games. Seriously, those santa monica guys are really fricken talented. I cant wait to see what they do for ps4.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I don't hype it because it looks like the same old game I played with GoW1+2. I still need to play 3. If 3 is just GoW2 with pretty graphics, then it will be my last GoW.
haze_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 haze_blaze
I don't hype it because it looks like the same old game I played with GoW1+2. I still need to play 3. If 3 is just GoW2 with pretty graphics, then it will be my last GoW.AmazonTreeBoa
GOW2 was better than GOW3... but what I've seen of GOW:A does look better than GOW3... More puzzle elements and combat development. Still... I enjoyed GOW3. It was gorgeous and gruesome. But GOW2 had deeper gameplay... it looks like they're going back to that with GOW:A.
contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

I do not understand the lack of love that God Of War 3 is receiving. While I do agree that puzzles and platforming took a back seat, the combat however was improved quite a bit.

New weapons procured by Kratos while similiar to the blades, were actually quite useful and a legitimate alternative. Being able to swap mid-combo, magic which was tied to weapons, items which weren't tied to magic (thank god). In combat these features are very useful and create a far more dynamic combat system. Add in the new items like Hermes Boots, Head Of Hellios and the Bow Of Apollo and you have a far deeper, malleable combat system than any previous title in the series.

New abilities such as the battering ram and distance grapple were great inclusions as well as a far more pronounced aerial combat mechanic. You could control bigger enemies in multiple instances to fight off other enemies, fun addition. Button prompts during QTE's were moved to the sides of the screen corresponding to the layout of the controls rather than placing the prompt over top of the kill animation.

The new technology was incredible, being their first title on the PS3, it's rather impressive to see what they were able to achieve. The fact that they essentially mapped out the entirety of Mount Olympus and how every place intersects is incredible, it's not a string of random levels. That's quite impressive from a design stand point.

While most might not appreciate it, it's quite literally amazing to see what they were able to do. Everything had to be rebuilt from the ground up, completely new tech was needed, they had to learn a ton of new techniques to create the game on what developers considered a "not so friendly" piece of hardware. They didn't get lazy at all, they really wanted every area to be hand crafted rather than assembled from preexisting models and such.

ico92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ico92
Member since 2009 • 183 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]I don't hype it because it looks like the same old game I played with GoW1+2. I still need to play 3. If 3 is just GoW2 with pretty graphics, then it will be my last GoW.haze_blaze
GOW2 was better than GOW3... but what I've seen of GOW:A does look better than GOW3... More puzzle elements and combat development. Still... I enjoyed GOW3. It was gorgeous and gruesome. But GOW2 had deeper gameplay... it looks like they're going back to that with GOW:A.

For some weird reason GOW 2 is my least favourite, I liked it more at first mainly because it was less of a chore to play than GOW 1, that said I still think GOW 1 is my overall favourite  in series (aside from the spiked trap room of death, and the spinning spiked pillars of doom) I thought the level design was a whole lot more stronger, I found the game a whole lot more memorable. Now GOW 3 is a strange one although it was a little underwhelming it generally did leave a lasting impression on me much more than GOW 2.

DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DaRq_MiNoS

I love GoW 2 and 3 about equally. If GoW:A is half as good as those it will be a great game. (GoW1 is so outdated now it's kinda hard to compare IMO - was fun in its time though)

Avatar image for lex_in_the_moon
lex_in_the_moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 lex_in_the_moon
Member since 2007 • 770 Posts

My reasons for not really caring about GoW:A: I was told this series was over and I was totally cool with that and I thought it ended on a good note. Now it seems to be getting milked which I don't find very appealing (how many Kratos stories can you tell?). And perhaps the more important reason being, as cool as the gameplay is, it has hardly evolved over the course of the franchise and quite frankly I've grown tired of it.