Gametrailers once again lost all the credibility they had left........

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43922.html

Grand Theft Auto 4 - PS3 Game of the Year

Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts

epic

Any journalist or gaming publication that gives GTAIV goty is worthless...
The game was a a mess.. competely destroyed the GTA formula...

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
D'oh. Gametrailers, you silly geese. Not the best choice.
Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kuruption84
Member since 2003 • 5354 Posts
I'm kinda surprised that GT gave this game GOTY, there were certain places I expected this from, but not them. That being said I'll never understand why people hate this game so much.
Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts
hahah of course they're gonna pick GTA4. But what ever who cares.
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 americahellyeah
I'm kinda surprised that GT gave this game GOTY, there were certain places I expected this from, but not them. That being said I'll never understand why people hate this game so much. Kuruption84
Because it takes everythign that made GTA fun, addictive, and great and throws it out the window and in place is a gritty "realistic" boring mess of game devoid of Tanks, Jetpack, Chainsaws, and Planes...
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
LOL are they serious?
WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts
Wow....
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 americahellyeah
LOL are they serious?rockguy92
Exaclty.. i don't know how they can give GTAIV any award except maybe.. biggest let down.. or best ruining of an already perfect formula
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 samuraiguns

Resistance 2 was not even metioned on the PS3 GOTY.

I am so furious right now........

THQ88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 THQ88
Member since 2008 • 1362 Posts

Resistance 2 was not even metioned on the PS3 GOTY.

I am so furious right now........

samuraiguns

Dude, it's nothing comparing to the sin Kotaku committed, they haven't included MGS4 in their GOTY nominees. WTF?

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts
don't see how a realistic game about stealing cars and shooting anything in sight is getting so much love. i don't really care if its a fun game or not, i'm just a little pissed that this particular genre is getting undeserved awards. there i said it, gta sucks.
GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
They're the same people who thought Halo 3 had a better story than MGS4 (in terms of ratings)... I never liked them.
THQ88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 THQ88
Member since 2008 • 1362 Posts
Those guys over at GameTrailers are just good for trailers, they're not supposed to be taken seriously as far as game reviewing goes because their job is to give us the latest trailers! GameSpot and IGN are more reliable when it comes to reviews and awards. Sorry but GameTrailers were never serious. Halo 3 story better than MGS4???? Are they frickin kidding me???
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#15 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
[QUOTE="Kuruption84"]I'm kinda surprised that GT gave this game GOTY, there were certain places I expected this from, but not them. That being said I'll never understand why people hate this game so much. americahellyeah
Because it takes everythign that made GTA fun, addictive, and great and throws it out the window and in place is a gritty "realistic" boring mess of game devoid of Tanks, Jetpack, Chainsaws, and Planes...

Good thing for Saints Row 2
RoganSarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RoganSarine
Member since 2005 • 1490 Posts

They're the same people who thought Halo 3 had a better story than MGS4 (in terms of ratings)... I never liked them. GodofBigMacs
Halo 3 has a better americanized story. Metal Gear's story is convoluted, over the top, and extremely japanesish. Japanese and American's have different story telling. Japanese tell you a story, while americans let you live it (Notice how alot of japanese games have more cinematics, while american games find a way to let you interact with it). Not saying that either story is bad, but if you look at it Kojima often had really ridiculous ideas on many parts just to do what he wanted. I personally like japanese storytelling, but they're really over the top. Halo 3 is slightly more real and resonates with american reviews better who like hollywood. So, in this regard, it can deserve a better rating. You have to take in to account cultural differences and more than just personal opinion.

GTAIV I would put up there with any game of the year, and for people who said it broke a formula... WHAT FORMULA? You steal cars, you shoot things, you raise mayhem, crash and blow stuff up, and your gangsterish... It may have had a better story and fighting mechanics, but how does that kill the formula? Personally, the game of the years I would consider at GTAIV, Metal Gear Solid, LittleBigplanet, likely deadspace for being atmospheric and immersive to a grander scale then any game has ever been (No menus), and Fallout 3 (Which I personally don't like, but I can accept what it's done).

GTAIV took a more serious direction that wasn't a bit cartoonish, sure the tanks gone were kind of a bummer... but that's about it. They left Saints Row 2 to pick up the cartoon soundbox experience.

Each game has it's respective greatness, and I think all 5 of those games can qualify for the award, and I would have no idea why a place would lose "credibility" just because it didn't choose the game you though would win. The scale of the game is amazing, the amount of stuff going on without frame rate drops is quite technically impressing, the graphics for the grand size of the game actually deserve kudos (Remember GTA games on the PS2 compared with other linear games like God of War?), and the acting was actually great. The voice acting and storytelling was a best for a GTA game... So why are you people so up in flames because your game wasn't voted best? Metal Gear Solid is a good game, but if certain places don't pick it what's your problem?

americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 americahellyeah
[QUOTE="americahellyeah"][QUOTE="Kuruption84"]I'm kinda surprised that GT gave this game GOTY, there were certain places I expected this from, but not them. That being said I'll never understand why people hate this game so much. Legolas_Katarn

Good thing for Saints Row 2

Exactly, Saints Row 2 is like all the fun parts they took out of GTAIV in 1 game...
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 americahellyeah

[QUOTE="GodofBigMacs"]They're the same people who thought Halo 3 had a better story than MGS4 (in terms of ratings)... I never liked them. RoganSarine

Halo 3 has a better americanized story. Metal Gear's story is convoluted, over the top, and extremely japanesish. Japanese and American's have different story telling. Japanese tell you a story, while americans let you live it (Notice how alot of japanese games have more cinematics, while american games find a way to let you interact with it). Not saying that either story is bad, but if you look at it Kojima often had really ridiculous ideas on many parts just to do what he wanted. I personally like japanese storytelling, but they're really over the top. Halo 3 is slightly more real and resonates with american reviews better who like hollywood. So, in this regard, it can deserve a better rating. You have to take in to account cultural differences and more than just personal opinion.

GTAIV I would put up there with any game of the year, and for people who said it broke a formula... WHAT FORMULA? You steal cars, you shoot things, you raise mayhem, crash and blow stuff up, and your gangsterish... It may have had a better story and fighting mechanics, but how does that kill the formula? Personally, the game of the years I would consider at GTAIV, Metal Gear Solid, LittleBigplanet, likely deadspace for being atmospheric and immersive to a grander scale then any game has ever been (No menus), and Fallout 3 (Which I personally don't like, but I can accept what it's done).

GTAIV took a more serious direction that wasn't a bit cartoonish, sure the tanks gone were kind of a bummer... but that's about it. They left Saints Row 2 to pick up the cartoon soundbox experience.

Each game has it's respective greatness, and I think all 5 of those games can qualify for the award, and I would have no idea why a place would lose "credibility" just because it didn't choose the game you though would win. The scale of the game is amazing, the amount of stuff going on without frame rate drops is quite technically impressing, the graphics for the grand size of the game actually deserve kudos (Remember GTA games on the PS2 compared with other linear games like God of War?), and the acting was actually great. The voice acting and storytelling was a best for a GTA game... So why are you people so up in flames because your game wasn't voted best? Metal Gear Solid is a good game, but if certain places don't pick it what's your problem?

So basically what that sums up to is... Gametrailers is too stupid to understand MGS's story :lol:
CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CanadianCR
Member since 2008 • 3824 Posts

[QUOTE="GodofBigMacs"]They're the same people who thought Halo 3 had a better story than MGS4 (in terms of ratings)... I never liked them. RoganSarine

Your opinion ..

My opinion .. GTA4 was horrid .. and didn't deserve the hype, the praise, or the scores .. that's one thing I never thought I could say about a GTA game ..

Screw the framerate, the acting was terrible, storytelling was boring .. the same mission over and over really killed it .. couldn't buy a garage to keep multiple cars, couldn't puchase stores .. couldn't do anything really ..

See how opinions work .. ;)

TROD_BING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TROD_BING
Member since 2008 • 768 Posts
i cant believe they took the parachute out... I played for hours with the parachute in SA
Avatar image for clarkportmanken
clarkportmanken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 clarkportmanken
Member since 2003 • 1714 Posts
i think gta4 and mgs4 are both tied for most overated games of the year. both were played and forgotten by most in a week. i think it should have gone to Little Big Planet. why oh why give it to games that do nothing new and offer nothing new. gametrailers isn't the only one to blame for this every review sight complains about a lack of innovation and then nit pick every innovative new game to death and writes a fluff piece for almost all sequels and games that we've played before (case in point almost all shooters),
G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts

i think gta4 and mgs4 are both tied for most overated games of the year. both were played and forgotten by most in a week. i think it should have gone to Little Big Planet. why oh why give it to games that do nothing new and offer nothing new. gametrailers isn't the only one to blame for this every review sight complains about a lack of innovation and then nit pick every innovative new game to death and writes a fluff piece for almost all sequels and games that we've played before (case in point almost all shooters),clarkportmanken

Disagree most people were still playing MGS4 LONG after the first week, and it was not overated imo, it was amazing. They made MGS better, better controls, better graphics better physics the only thing is that it was still linear but had more open space to work with. But I do agree LBP should have definately been a contender.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
wow just fail.
Russoc123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Russoc123
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
GT loves GTA
CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CanadianCR

i think gta4 and mgs4 are both tied for most overated games of the year. both were played and forgotten by most in a week. i think it should have gone to Little Big Planet. why oh why give it to games that do nothing new and offer nothing new. gametrailers isn't the only one to blame for this every review sight complains about a lack of innovation and then nit pick every innovative new game to death and writes a fluff piece for almost all sequels and games that we've played before (case in point almost all shooters),clarkportmanken

Opinions .. everyone has them .. have to deal with it ..

ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts
I still have fun playing GTA4 online...let the haters hate, I guess.
criinok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 criinok
Member since 2006 • 1478 Posts

Have you even played MGS4? Forgotten after the first week?

Please...

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

Halo 3 has a better americanized story. Metal Gear's story is convoluted, over the top, and extremely japanesish. Japanese and American's have different story telling.Japanese tell you a story, while americans let you live it (Notice how alot of japanese games have more cinematics, while american games find a way to let you interact with it). Not saying that either story is bad, but if you look at it Kojima often had really ridiculous ideas on many parts just to do what he wanted. I personally like japanese storytelling, but they're really over the top. Halo 3 is slightly more real and resonates with american reviews better who like hollywood. So, in this regard, it can deserve a better rating. You have to take in to account cultural differences and more than just personal opinion.

Oh my God, sir.

I love you.

I began reading your post thinking "This is probably just gonna be some stupid fanboy crap about how MGS4 should've won or how Halo 3 is t3h pwnz0rz," but I was thoroughly surprised.

In reality, "credibility" is an illusion fathomed by those who can't form an educated opinion on their own.

Some of you may disagree with GTAIV being Game of the Year, but that's how these things work.

THEY chose their Game of the Year, not you.

GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts

[QUOTE="clarkportmanken"]i think gta4 and mgs4 are both tied for most overated games of the year. both were played and forgotten by most in a week. i think it should have gone to Little Big Planet. why oh why give it to games that do nothing new and offer nothing new. gametrailers isn't the only one to blame for this every review sight complains about a lack of innovation and then nit pick every innovative new game to death and writes a fluff piece for almost all sequels and games that we've played before (case in point almost all shooters),G-Legend

Disagree most people were still playing MGS4 LONG after the first week, and it was not overated imo, it was amazing. They made MGS better, better controls, better graphics better physics the only thing is that it was still linear but had more open space to work with. But I do agree LBP should have definately been a contender.

In MGS4, the battlefield was basically your's. You could help the militia, or you could neglect them. You could sneak, or you could run n' gun. You could kill everyone, or tranq them... etc. Also, emblems add to the replayability. MGO was also not bad, but not good either, considering how its components were broken, mostly because it was not on PSN.
CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CanadianCR
[QUOTE="RoganSarine"]

[QUOTE="GodofBigMacs"]They're the same people who thought Halo 3 had a better story than MGS4 (in terms of ratings)... I never liked them. Scianix-Black

Halo 3 has a better americanized story. Metal Gear's story is convoluted, over the top, and extremely japanesish. Japanese and American's have different story telling.Japanese tell you a story, while americans let you live it (Notice how alot of japanese games have more cinematics, while american games find a way to let you interact with it). Not saying that either story is bad, but if you look at it Kojima often had really ridiculous ideas on many parts just to do what he wanted. I personally like japanese storytelling, but they're really over the top. Halo 3 is slightly more real and resonates with american reviews better who like hollywood. So, in this regard, it can deserve a better rating. You have to take in to account cultural differences and more than just personal opinion.

Oh my God, sir.

I love you.

I began reading your post thinking "This is probably just gonna be some stupid fanboy crap about how MGS4 should've won or how Halo 3 is t3h pwnz0rz," but I was thoroughly surprised.

In reality, "credibility" is an illusion fathomed by those who can't form an educated opinion on their own.

Some of you may disagree with GTAIV being Game of the Year, but that's how these things work.

:lol: I usually respect others opinions .. but I can't accept someone who liked GTA4 that much .. it's sad day in gaming when that game wins anything, in anyones hearts ..

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Scianix-Black
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"][QUOTE="RoganSarine"] Halo 3 has a better americanized story. Metal Gear's story is convoluted, over the top, and extremely japanesish. Japanese and American's have different story telling.Japanese tell you a story, while americans let you live it (Notice how alot of japanese games have more cinematics, while american games find a way to let you interact with it). Not saying that either story is bad, but if you look at it Kojima often had really ridiculous ideas on many parts just to do what he wanted. I personally like japanese storytelling, but they're really over the top. Halo 3 is slightly more real and resonates with american reviews better who like hollywood. So, in this regard, it can deserve a better rating. You have to take in to account cultural differences and more than just personal opinion.

CanadianCR

Oh my God, sir.

I love you.

:lol: I usually respect others opinions .. but I can't accept someone who liked GTA4 that much .. it's sad day in gaming when that game wins anything, in anyones hearts ..

lol, Just keep in mind that I'm not saying all this in defense of GTAIV.

I thought it was a good game. Not GotY material, though.

If I had to choose, it would've LBP, and not because everyone else here says so, but because it was a genuinely fun game.

CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CanadianCR

:lol: Scianix .. you liked it? And here I actually respected you!! :lol: Just kidding ..

I can see how people liked it, it was a decent game I guess, but way too much was taken out to make it a classic GTA game, don't fix what isn't broken ..

Plus my game of the year is easily .. NHL 09 .. and no it isn't because I am Canadian .. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts

How do they lose all the credibility they had left

AGAIN

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

:lol: Scianix .. you liked it? And here I actually respected you!! :lol: Just kidding ..

I can see how people liked it, it was a decent game I guess, but way too much was taken out to make it a classic GTA game, don't fix what isn't broken ..

Plus my game of the year is easily .. NHL 09 .. and no it isn't because I am Canadian .. :P

CanadianCR
And here's another example of opinion. I personally dislike sports games entirely, and you can't stop me from hating them. ;) GTA4 was great, but doesn't come close to GotY... in my opinion.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Scianix-Black

CanadianCR

lol, Don't LIE! You like that game BECAUSE you're Canadian. I know how you people work, with your almost non-existant piracy laws and delicious pork entrees. :P

And yes, I, too, dislike sports games.

It's like sports on TV; they bore me to tears. All the menus and fonts are in black and white with some kind of alternative red or blue and it's really boring to look at.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 samuraiguns

Im not mad because GTA IV won GotY, in fact congrats R* on your endeavor.

I am mad at the fact that it won PS3 Game of the Year.........

That title indisputably belongs to LittlBigPlanet and/or MetalGearSolid: Guns of the Patriots.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Scianix-Black

That title indisputably belongs to LittlBigPlanet and/or MetalGearSolid: Guns of the Patriots.

samuraiguns

I understand, but you shouldn't trouble yourself over someone else's opinion.

If you were the one deciding, and you chose LBP or MGS4, Gametrailers would be mad too.

It's all just opinions.

Just know that deep down in your heart, Snake and Sackboy will always be Game of the Century.

Yeah, they will.

:oops:

CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CanadianCR
[QUOTE="CanadianCR"]

hazelnutman

And here's another example of opinion. I personally dislike sports games entirely, and you can't stop me from hating them. ;) GTA4 was great, but doesn't come close to GotY... in my opinion.

I can force you to watch them .. just think of A Clockwork Orange .. ;)

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 samuraiguns
[QUOTE="samuraiguns"]

Scianix-Black

I understand, but you shouldn't trouble yourself over someone else's opinion.

If you were the one deciding, and you chose LBP or MGS4, Gametrailers would be mad too.

It's all just opinions.

Just know that deep down in your heart, Snake and Sackboy will always be Game of the Century.

Yeah, they will.

:oops:

You win this one Scianix_Black but i'll ne back for more debating, *Jumps out the window and flies away*............

CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CanadianCR
[QUOTE="CanadianCR"]

Scianix-Black

lol, Don't LIE! You like that game BECAUSE you're Canadian. I know how you people work, with your almost non-existant piracy laws and delicious pork entrees. :P

And yes, I, too, dislike sports games.

It's like sports on TV; they bore me to tears. All the menus and fonts are in black and white with some kind of alternative red or blue and it's really boring to look at.

:lol: Canada is pretty laid back with most laws .. and you go tme Hockey is in my blood .. :P

They bore ya eh? Not even football? The best sport on the planet? :lol: Who cares about the menus .. it's the game itself Scianix .. ;)

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hazelnutman
[QUOTE="hazelnutman"][QUOTE="CanadianCR"]

CanadianCR

Watching? Oh, I freaking love watching hockey. It's the playing that I can't stand. :lol:
AccOfTheLost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AccOfTheLost
Member since 2006 • 57 Posts
How can they lose something that they never had ? :shock:
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 samuraiguns

How can they lose something that they never had ? :shock:AccOfTheLost

lulz. that made my day.

CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CanadianCR

[QUOTE="CanadianCR"][QUOTE="hazelnutman"] And here's another example of opinion. I personally dislike sports games entirely, and you can't stop me from hating them. ;) GTA4 was great, but doesn't come close to GotY... in my opinion.hazelnutman

Watching? Oh, I freaking love watching hockey. It's the playing that I can't stand. :lol:

:lol: Like in video game form or in like putting skates on and playing .. because pond hockey can't be beat .. ;)

Unassigned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Unassigned
Member since 2004 • 1970 Posts

To OP:

GOTY is an "opinion" not a "cast in stone" fact. Relax, why do you care what their opinion is? Will your life change because they chose something other than what you like? Let me guess, you're about 14, the typical age of the average fanboy.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hazelnutman

CanadianCR

:lol: Like in video game form or in like putting skates on and playing .. because pond hockey can't be beat .. ;)

I mean video games. :P Pond hockey looks amazing. It's not too cold here in Vancouver, so we don't get the opportunity :(
CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CanadianCR
[QUOTE="CanadianCR"]

[QUOTE="hazelnutman"] Watching? Oh, I freaking love watching hockey. It's the playing that I can't stand. :lol:hazelnutman

I mean video games. :P Pond hockey looks amazing. It's not too cold here in Vancouver, so we don't get the opportunity :(

My buddy just moved to Vancouver and he said the same thing .. yet I was under the impression they got lots of snow .. guess I was wrong .. he said it rains a lot ..

Come down to Ontario .. or I guess it's over, East to Ontario .. we got pond hockey going on around every corner .. :lol: ;)

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#48 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
One of these days I have to play GTA4 to see what the hate is all about. As far as I'm concerned, most of the criticism leveled at GTA4 has been present since GTA3, so to me it's like the internet has suddenly realized how boring that game really was :P
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hazelnutman

CanadianCR

My buddy just moved to Vancouver and he said the same thing .. yet I was under the impression they got lots of snow .. guess I was wrong .. he said it rains a lot ..

Come down to Ontario .. or I guess it's over, East to Ontario .. we got pond hockey going on around every corner .. :lol: ;)

Yep, it just loves to rain here :P I might go there to study, so I'll be sure to check it out ;)
CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CanadianCR

[QUOTE="CanadianCR"][QUOTE="hazelnutman"] I mean video games. :P Pond hockey looks amazing. It's not too cold here in Vancouver, so we don't get the opportunity :(hazelnutman

Yep, it just loves to rain here :P I might go there to study, so I'll be sure to check it out ;)

That's weak .. damn rain .. :P .. definately check it out .. you won't be disappointed .. in fact you will run out and buy NHL 09 after you are done .. :lol: