Formula One Games... Any News?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shamblistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 shamblistic
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

As anybody who knows enough about it will know, we didn't see an F1 release on any platform based on the 2007 season. I think I'm right in believing that this is down to SONY's SCEE studios losing the licence, or more rather, having it run out and no renewal came in from anywhere. I could be wrong. However I'm just wondering if anybody has heard anything about any future F1 games and I guess this thread opens up the possibility to talk about previous editions.

I think most of the F1 game efforts have been dire to be honest.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 DuhQbnSiLo
Member since 2007 • 622 Posts
other than the outdated rosters... F1 Championship is amazine! I havent heard of any other game coming out
shamblistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 shamblistic
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

other than the outdated rosters... F1 Championship is amazine! I havent heard of any other game coming outDuhQbnSiLo

thanks for your reply.

i agree with you about F1:CE in so far as it's graphically immense and it's got fun gameplay; but it's a frustration game because it's very one dimensional in terms of scope. it doesn't accurately represent F1 racing and it has a very poor 'gameplay length > reward ratio'

(there should be more helmets to choose from, you're name should go on the cars in career mode (go in an aguri and you'll still see sato/ide in replays, the number 1 should go on your car if you win the championship, drivers should change and swop more and there could be a hell of a lot more done with in game videos (how about a retirement video, you crash the car, you see your driver get out of the car?) or a parc ferme one preluding the podium one... busier pit-lanes, more unlockable items, design your own helmet, make your own team/tracks? all of these small niggly things would make the games so much better)

aaron5829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 aaron5829
Member since 2004 • 1539 Posts
The closest you'll be driving an F1 2007 car is GT5P. :lol: Oh, the Ferrari F2007 is in it. Yes it is.
Mcgnnis1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Mcgnnis1
Member since 2006 • 811 Posts
I believe that the reasom why there are no F1 games in U.S lies in the fact that not many Americans like the sport, mind of like off-road racing. Americans are obsessed with NASCAR, though not a bad sport but after seeing some of the F1 races i think that F1 is more faster. But that's just my opinion. But if F1 fans increases in U.S then we might see more F1 games. But aren't they very popular in Europe and Japan (i'm not sure). If you are a F1 fan maybe you can buy import games from europe or someplace else.
Avatar image for bostadskontrakt
bostadskontrakt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 bostadskontrakt
Member since 2008 • 387 Posts

i agree with you about F1:CE in so far as it's graphically immense and it's got fun gameplay; but it's a frustration game because it's very one dimensional in terms of scope. it doesn't accurately represent F1 racing and it has a very poor 'gameplay length > reward ratio'

(there should be more helmets to choose from, you're name should go on the cars in career mode (go in an aguri and you'll still see sato/ide in replays, the number 1 should go on your car if you win the championship, drivers should change and swop more and there could be a hell of a lot more done with in game videos (how about a retirement video, you crash the car, you see your driver get out of the car?) or a parc ferme one preluding the podium one... busier pit-lanes, more unlockable items, design your own helmet, make your own team/tracks? all of these small niggly things would make the games so much better)shamblistic

I agree with much of what you say. In my opinion one should have in mind that the "small niggly" changes will improve this game from a 9/10 to a 10/10 game. I've done some 7500 laps in the Formula One 2006 for the PS2 despite my copy being full of speech- and fastest laptime recording bugs. That's how good I think this game is. So now I have at the PS3 my beloved game free from bugs and beautiful graphics! And that is not all, they have in fact improved the PS3 version in some areas I noticed. I haven't heard anyone else point this out but if one has driven 7500 laps before, one will take notice mark my words.

-The AI is driving smoother now, not braking really hard in weird places causing you to crash into their rear x amout of times until you learnt how they drive and adapt to it. This in itself is a huge step forward.

-The steering sensation changed some. At first I reacted with "wtf!"... as I always do (same reaction as when I left Formula One 2005 where the steering change to 2006 had indeed gone through quite a revamp) but felt at the same time that it probably was for the better once I got used to it. And that's exactly how I feel now.

-I LOVE the sun effect in early mornings trials. It's to die for! I can see how a newbie would find this frustrating and adding unneccessary difficulty. All I can say to them is that this is a sim racer. Maybe they should think twice about racing sim games then.

-One can now fine-tune the Toe which is also GREAT improvement.

-Fastest lap in qualifying may not be the person who took pole. This piece of info is now added and gives an idea of how much the AI teams might have fuelled up.

-Increased buttoning in pit. It was too easy before and thus not having the impact it was thought to have once one learnt the order.

These precision-changes (I might have forgotten some) in balance with leaving what makes the game so great intact makes me smile up to my ears. Not like SWAT4 which was completely ruined from having it all in their hands in SWAT3.

Drivers changing teams in career mode is probably not something I want but I like your ideas of:

-more helmets and helmets won as career progresses like in 2005.

-your name on the car in career mode

-parc ferme movie to increase the sensation of acheivement

-possibly retirement vid

My suggestions to tweaks/add-ons would be:

-pitlane speed limit button

-More varied news

-driver choosing tires rather than the team to choose for you before race-pitstop. For example - in PS2 - if it just starts raining and you go in immediately, they might put on dry or intermediates. And that WILL cost you the race once the rain starts affecting the track in full wets type manner 1,5 laps later.

-A nicer intro with cool music. It is now only sligtly better than PS2 version that I puke on. I have never seen worse representation. It conveys a crash bandicot game with disgusting music.

-perhaps more varied commentary

-why is the first driver kicked out in career mode when he should be 2nd driver instead of the 2nd driver coming back in after my promotion from 2nd to 1st?

-help text in car setup is not helping. It is now only stating the obvious. One of the easisest changes to make that will make a good difference I belive.

I they implement my wished for changes then I say like someone else I once saw reviewing the PS2 version: "I doubt I will ever see the real world again" :)

ps. the career mode music is so good it is hypnotising me...

bostadskontrakt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bostadskontrakt

I drive on medium level with automatic gearbox and anti-lock brakes. All other help turned off. This game is so good on the PS3 I don't even get angry that after 30 min of intense qualifying at Melbourne with Toro Rosso, I end up 3rd on the grid only to see how Räikkönen push me in the first corner making my car spin dropping to 17th place, loosing my concentration and with cold tires going to high on the curb later on that first lap, sending me spinning and crashing out.. And later in Monaco a McLaren (damned Räikkönen again?) pushed me causing me to spin into the barrier during both our outlaps right outside the pit in Q2. I lost time obviously so that I had time for max 2 laps to set a time good enough for top 10 (I was last at 16th). I pulled myself together and concentrated although I have a terrible DNF history in Monaco for various reasons and set the 7th fastest time. Onto Q3 and a little calmer I put in the fastest lap (above expectation) and felt thrilled about the chance to finally maybe, maybe win this race! Later in the race I lost concentration for a second and hit the wall in lap 4. Goodnight. :cry:

thebluesgnr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thebluesgnr
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

F1CE is indeed a great game that lacks some polish, it looks very much like they rushed it for the PS3 launch. It's a shame they only got to do that one installment for the PS3.

Regarding a new F1 game, Studio Liverpool has moved on to other projects. EA or PD might do one, here's from an interview with PD's Gran Turismo creator:

IGN: You've got the F2007 in Prologue, and a lot of people would love to see Polyphony work on a Formula 1 title in the future. Is that something you'd be interested in?

Kazunori Yamauchi:
The F2007 is currently I think the most precise simulation of an F1 car in existence, and I think it's something that everyone should try out. We've had to implement a lot of new physics into the game, and a lot of mechanisms that we had left out before that we had to add to simulate the car properly, and it's something we're looking forward to having everyone experience. As for F1, of course we've always wanted to add more F1 cars, and to make an F1 game, but we haven't made any movement to acquiring the license, so there's no set timeline for it yet, but it's something we're looking at.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/864/864502p1.html

Greg_888_v8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Greg_888_v8
Member since 2005 • 3881 Posts
guys go buy a good PC Buy a wheel buy a game called Rfactor download some mods from a webstie called RFACTORCENTRAL............F1 mods.....05 season, 06, 07.......... thank me for making you make the greatest decision of your gaming life. type "Rfactor F1" into youtube
huriona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 huriona
Member since 2003 • 361 Posts
Thanks Greg, Rfactor looks really nice. I'm building a new PC next month and I'll certainly give it a try.
bostadskontrakt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bostadskontrakt

you mean like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-J4skI9nOM&feature=related ?

How can you compare this with PS3 F1:CE I wonder...?