For people who did not like GTA 4...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blank33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 blank33
Member since 2005 • 1896 Posts
What was your main objection with the game? For me the missions were really boring and it did nothing for the series. From GTA II to GTA III the transition to 3D was huge. From Vice City to San Andreas, the possibilities in San Andreas were endless. I played San Andreas for many hours and still found new things every time. I did not play much GTA IV after I beat it, maybe I'm missing something.
Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts
It just wasn't fun (for me) and I couldn't stand Niko's voice-over. Sounded forced in my opinion, not natural.
mck92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mck92
Member since 2008 • 458 Posts
i know its daft but the lack of parachutes. and it was over hyped
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
  • The lack of things to do
  • No planes
  • No tanks
  • Story was BOOORING
  • Characters were terrible
  • Living the American dream my ass.Where was the ability to run shops and what not and collect money like in Vice city
  • Speaking of money there was NOTHING to spend it on.A few stupid shops,some diners and a toll booth,WOW,
  • Tried to hard to be like real life.GTA 4 just sucked all over.BADLY.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

too realistic.

i liked it in vice city where a normal civilian can be more equipped with weapons than the average foot soldier.

mck92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mck92
Member since 2008 • 458 Posts
  • No planes
  • No tanks
  • Story was BOOORING
  • Living the American dream my ass.Where was the ability to run shops and what not and collect money like in Vice city
  • Speaking of money there was NOTHING to spend it on.A few stupid shops,some diners and a toll booth,WOW,

K1LLR3175

infact this aswell

touchyourtoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 touchyourtoes
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

I'm sorry if this upsets anyone but I didn't like the use of Russian characters, the lack of side missions, no taxi/fire/ambulance/police (to a certain extent) missions, it had a boring story, and the car control left me cold.

Even using cheats and saves from the internet I had zero fun and never finished the game before selling it with great contempt. I wasn't much of a fan of Vice City either but the introduction of businesses that you could take over as revenue generators was great. I forgot all about the pedestrians that were armed and would start a gun fight if pushed too far, that was awesome.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#8 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

Biggest problem I had with GTA4 was the theme.

GTA III, was rather boring to me because I didn't like that random gang theme. Some might've liked it.

GTA Vice City, again was rather boring to me because I didn't like that Scarface theme, but I bet Scarface fans loved it.

GTA San Adreas, I loved it because I completely enjoyed that gangster theme.

GTA IV, immigrant low gang member theme. Nope don't like it.

I think one of the biggest problem with GTA IV was that no one wanted to be Niko. He was a character with compelling story and whatever, but no one wanted to BE him. It was gritty and realistic, but how should I say this... there was no romance to his story. Like romance of being gangster boss with rapper being your homie. Or mafia boss or whatever.

All those annoying cousin dating stuff, was just minor thing. The major reason why GTA IV doesn't get love (in my opinion) is due to that theme.

Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts
I'm not a fan of GTA games, when it first came out for the PS2. All my friends from school were constantly talking about it and saying how its the best game ever made. So i decided to rent it one weekend, played it for 15 minutes then took it back for something different. I just got very boring, i didn't enjoy it at all [ except killing random people just for the fun of it ]. Every since then, i didn't bother playing the newer ones.
cow-got-owned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cow-got-owned
Member since 2007 • 422 Posts
the only problem was the lack of electronica music......
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
  • No planes
  • No tanks
  • Story was BOOORING
K1LLR3175
perfect... this is exactly what was wrong with the game..
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts
GTA 4 isn't a bad game, but it is nowhere near the standard of San Andreas. SA was fun to play, simple as that. After finishing about 30% of GTA 4, I was sick of it. The story wasn't as engaging as SA by a long shot & the missions where repetitive. The characters in SA were memorable & funny. Overall San Andreas is just a better game. If Rockstar re-did SA using GTA 4's graphics & controls, WOW!
bigburd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bigburd
Member since 2004 • 1281 Posts
after i beat the game there was no incentive to go back and do anything, granted in the other GTA games there was nothing to do either, but at least in SA we could act crazy after the story. You could parachute out at 10,000 feet, start a gang war, get a tank and go bonkers. With GTA4 to me there was nothing keeping me in liberty city.
matchpenalty11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#14 matchpenalty11
Member since 2006 • 541 Posts
Ya GTA4 was dissappointing as far as Grand Theft Auto goes. I think the overall gameplay was improved (ie. gunfights) and to me the story was alright. However the main reason it was dissapointing was because it lost many of the features that made Vice City and San Andreas so great. A game like GTA4 can't just rely on the story (one that half the audience didn't like) and a handful of old features. It needs to build from where its predecessors left off. Vice City was a big step forward. San Andreas was a bigger step forward. GTA4 was a step back. I guess the saying two steps forward one step back really applies here doesn't it. Overall I thought it was a great game, but it didn't even come close to reaching its potential. Expect GTA5 to take a step forward.
membership1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 membership1
Member since 2008 • 647 Posts
it was borring and i dindnt like how the game looks it has greta graphics but its colours arent good and its too realistic
Spy_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 Spy_d
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I liked the game but it had plenty of problems, as someone else said, the voice acting was TERRIBLE! It reminded me of GTA 3, and thats not really a good thing. It felt less free then the previous games, and was faaaar more boring. And don't get me started on the glitches, I couldn't play it when it first came out because of the insane amount of glitches, but it was and is a good game.
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#17 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts
I have no real beef with the game...the franchise overall just doesn't interest me. I don't knock people who play it either.
roddollente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 roddollente
Member since 2008 • 1543 Posts

meh. GTA games are too gangsta for me. once you've played GTAIII then yuo've pretty much played the entire series. there are no drastic improvements at all. the graphics and physics. but that's jsut it. no superb new stuff. the transition between 2D and 3D was the greatest. oh, and did i say never to use Englsh/American voice actors to play as Russian or Italian or whatever? it just sounds too stupid.

GTA4 is overhyped. no one plays GTA4 anymore. i never really liked the story in the first place. mafia, gangster, etc. they're trying too hard. it's just like a bunch of rappers with guns. and that ain't no mafia. i'd take Ryu ga Gotoku's (or Yakuza in NA) yakuza than GTA's mafia anytime. vice city and san andreas were more fun than this game. a total meh for me. just meh.

Monstar23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 Monstar23
Member since 2008 • 83 Posts
I didn't like it either. Vice City was my fav. prob. because I live in Miami and it was pretty cool. I think they should remake a game in Vice City, so much potential especially with how the graphics are now a days and all the technology. It makes me wonder though, so many people disliked this game and yet this game was the biggest game last year and it even got a perfect 10 points from everyone and their mothers. Shows how hype can affect games. Hopefully this doesn't happen to some games coming out soon *cough* Killzone 2 *Cough*
rusher24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rusher24
Member since 2008 • 82 Posts
I loved the game at first. Felt like I had the whole world at my fingertips. But by the time I reached the halfway point I just wasn't interested in playing it anymore. It didn't have the factor to be great.
brandojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 brandojones
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts
  • No planes
  • No tanks
  • Story was BOOORING
K1LLR3175
agreed! I would also add: - No good cheats to play around with and have fun - No good hidden areas - Too claustrophobic - Too much blur effect and it makes it hard to see - No really funny moments - Not challenging enough (the good kind not the frustrating kind)
joegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 joegar
Member since 2007 • 870 Posts
Saints row 2 would be a way better chose than this game.
sykojason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 sykojason
Member since 2003 • 192 Posts
GTA IV had boring characters (especially Niko). His tory sucked and he wasn't enough of a bad-ass or hero or anti-hero to make me want to play through his story. The missions were broing and repetitive and even though the new shooting mechanics got good reviews, I thought that the cover system and shooting mechanics sucked. There was little variety in the weapons, there were no businesses or properties to buy. All in all, the game just didn't have the same kind of spark that the others have had in the past.
Sitic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 110

#24 Sitic
Member since 2008 • 215 Posts

Biggest problem I had with GTA4 was the theme.

GTA III, was rather boring to me because I didn't like that random gang theme. Some might've liked it.

GTA Vice City, again was rather boring to me because I didn't like that Scarface theme, but I bet Scarface fans loved it.

GTA San Adreas, I loved it because I completely enjoyed that gangster theme.

GTA IV, immigrant low gang member theme. Nope don't like it.

I think one of the biggest problem with GTA IV was that no one wanted to be Niko. He was a character with compelling story and whatever, but no one wanted to BE him. It was gritty and realistic, but how should I say this... there was no romance to his story. Like romance of being gangster boss with rapper being your homie. Or mafia boss or whatever.

All those annoying cousin dating stuff, was just minor thing. The major reason why GTA IV doesn't get love (in my opinion) is due to that theme.

TriangleHard
I loved the idea of it, but the little things really got to me alot more-so than the any big part of it. As said before, San Andreas was truly great because it had so much little stuff to do. When I saw those first few reviews for GTA IV I was really pumped because I thought they really brought the city to life, that they were going to allow the gamers to actually interact with the people on a level never seen in a previous GTA game. Sadly, they did not deliver. The whole interaction just ended up being linear and quite boring to me. Hanging out with friends was a good idea, but they really forced it on us, and that's never a good idea. If executed better, giving more freedom about it, it could be a really neat feature. Hopefully Rockstar learns from this game and they listen to us, at least attempting to fix the problems of GTA IV.
RadTad62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 RadTad62
Member since 2003 • 667 Posts
to me it was just boring in vice city and san andreas there was more to do and the missions were way better and also this one tries to be too realistic but when it comes to kind of game realisim is ok but you have to remember some people play video games to escape real life and this just further proves my point that good graphics don't make a good game hope the next gta if there is one is better than this one because truthfully i'd take an updated san andreas and i'm quite sure that i'm not the only one
0bscurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 0bscurity
Member since 2005 • 836 Posts
GTA4 was the best in the series IMO.
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#27 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts
theres lots of small things and lots of big things. overall it just isnt as fun as San Andreas.
taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

Of all the GTA games, Vice City is the one that i really liked the most!

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts

the only problem was the lack of electronica music......cow-got-owned
What about the station "ElectroChoc"? Some good electronica on there, and the only channel I listened to. :lol:

Anyways, I disliked the game because of how realistic they tried to make it feel. In the mean time, they removed every ounce of the stuff that attracted me to the series in the first place. The tanks, the flamethrowers, the jumping out of airliners with a parachute... Also, the missions you were sent on all felt exactly the same. Been there done that.

Jettero-Heller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jettero-Heller
Member since 2002 • 4289 Posts

I agree with all of the listed reasons and even though this sounds petty, in addition to all that my biggest beef was them screwing aroung with the physics and rendering motorcycles completely undrivable. Not a lot of fun when you're forced to do the retarded motorcycle-specific chase missions. I pine for SA where I could drive my bike everywhere. Funny enough I actually really liked Niko as a character.

L-U-K-E-D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 L-U-K-E-D
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Here's mine:

Im not saying that it was a bad game, but i am saying it could have been better. After a few hours of playing you soon relise "These missions are really booring" and after that you loose interest in the game completely. And before anyone says anything i know that rockstar was trying to make GTA4 feel alive but in the process also took out all the fun parts like: Go carts, bmx, jetpack, parachute, Sand buggy, Jumbo jets, and all those levels you would spend hours getting up like muscle and fat lol. And what about when you could pick up 2 weapons, but with nearly any weapon once you was skilled enough.

To jump to conclusion what im saying is, all were stuck with is booring stuff, and once you have completed the game you might as well sell it and buy something time worthy like fallout 3 (Which i really think is under-rated).

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts
I disagree with yall. I knew that there wasn't airplanes or parachutes, so I knew what to expect. The storyline was great to me. I didn't like it that much on my first playthrough but on my second, I gave it more respect. Niko was a great actor. Whoever said it was forced it way off. That is your opinion and this is mine, so don't get mad. ohh...back to the airplanes, I think a lot of people didn't do research and didn't know there wouldn't be any. But some of you knew. If you are complaining about this, and you knew, then why would you have bought the game. And also the people who didn't know, that is your fault for not doing research on the game before it came out.
Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts
  • No planes
  • No tanks
  • Story was BOOORING
K1LLR3175
It didn't sucks all over... If you weren't expecting it be God sent(like me), then most people probably would have enjoyed it(like me :lol: )
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts
Rockstar just didn't pack GTA4 with all the stuff that was found in San Andreas. You had so many possibilities in San Andreas, like parachuting, that it made GTA4 look like a sissy boy. Also, everything in GTA4 felt like it was in slow motion for me, gameplay was horribly slow/tried to be too realistic.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
money = useless..... I miss buying all the hotels and what not. I Mean they could have made it so we by the theme park and restore it or something.. I just wish it was like vice city...but... HD'r lol Oh and the music stations ***************************************************** i mean latin and rap music for the loss...
Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

money = useless..... I miss buying all the hotels and what not. I Mean they could have made it so we by the theme park and restore it or something.. I just wish it was like vice city...but... HD'r lol Oh and the music stations ***************************************************** i mean latin and rap music for the loss...campzor

I liked the music, especially flashing lights by Kanye West.

MagicHat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 MagicHat1
Member since 2008 • 209 Posts
I didn't think it was the best I had ever played but it was an enjoyable game and I did like Niko. My problem was the end mission, suddenly change from fighting to driving and not cars but the hard to control ones.
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

I have no real beef with the game...the franchise overall just doesn't interest me. I don't knock people who play it either.MarcRecon

that sums it up, pretty much.

Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts
[QUOTE="K1LLR3175"]
  • No planes
  • No tanks
  • Story was BOOORING

brandojones

agreed! I would also add: - No good cheats to play around with and have fun - No good hidden areas - Too claustrophobic - Too much blur effect and it makes it hard to see - No really funny moments - Not challenging enough (the good kind not the frustrating kind)

May i add:

• Inferior radio and song selection compared to previous GTA
  • Phone always ringing, go forth and back to fetch/pick up friends, and bring them home after reached 100%. Felt like relationship / artist manager.
Well just personal preference
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
I don't really like open-world games and I'm not really big on playing as a criminal.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
If you didn't HAVE to maintain your friendships the game would have been great, a lot shorter then the rest from lack of things to do. But when i have to stop my killing spree to pick up a friend so i don't loose the ability to get bombs from him, breaks the fun, and completely takes me out of any immersion that was there in the first place. Hopefully the DLC doesn't have the same friend management so we can have fun with the game.
Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Dysantic
Member since 2003 • 1624 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I hated GTA 4... It was just lacking something. I know they wanted to go for a realistic feel, but it just felt like no matter what I was doing or where I was going the game would make it a point to make something go wrong and screw up everything. I would be driving down the street to put a car in the garage and somehow a cop would step infront of the car or one way or another I would end up with a bunch of stars or die. I beat it and then traded it in a week later.
JYoung103175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JYoung103175
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I think its funny, some of the comments I have seen here about GTA4. I agree San Andreas was awesome, but GTA 4 was great in its own right. I dont want the same game personally, or same theme. Also I have heard people say IT IS TO REALISTIC, or I WANT TANKS, etcc. Well if these things you dont like or want. go get Saints row, a more OVER THE TOP and non REALISTIC game like this.

Personally, I want it to be realistic. And who knows what realistic is, are you Russian Mobsters blabbing up on Gamespot? I dont think so.

I found the game to be awesome. The graphics,. the scerny, all the stuff you could do(besides fake tanks you wouldnt see on a city street anyway) This game was superb. And I liked alot of the characters. I am a two time felon, and hung with a bunch of unsavory characters when I was young, and believe me, alot of them in the game reminded me of some of the people I know from my past, even Brucie. lol

Anyway, just as with any game, so will like it, some will not. Personally I think Fallout 3 sucks, but half of you praise it. Everyone has their own tastes, and I feel GTA4 was great. I cant wait for the next one in billion years again.

Monstar23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#44 Monstar23
Member since 2008 • 83 Posts
I have posted before in other threads as well expressing my dislike of this game, but what I think comes down to is that this game was over hyped significantly. If this game was just not talked about as much, everyone would be praising it I believe, and also the fact that they put out GTA VC and SA and the fact that they were just so good doesn't help, but hey Rockstar dug their own hole. We all expected something revolutionary from GTA 4, like I state in my game review, but it just didn't reach that level of performance. In the end I believe the hype is what killed the game.
El_Esbirro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#45 El_Esbirro
Member since 2006 • 355 Posts

I really loved and enjoyed this game from start to near the end. The end of the game was not very good...it really sucked. But the feel of the game was to go for realism. I have a friend of mine who acts just like Niko. He has a pretty rough violent past, and really has a different take on life. But like i said he acts the same way, for example he dressess as plain as the Niko Character. So the game is pretty real. And is all about shooting and killin so it's fun. On San Andreas, C.J was more down to earth character...the usual thug. Plus, the story is more compelling (we all love Underdogs to come out on Top).

So for those of us who enjoyed GTA4, we all must admit the game is repetetive...and the end of the game is just to damm long and expected. And the people who don't like it must admit that, you can't compare San Andreas to this one as GTASA is more open-world do whatever you want kinda stuff. While this GTA4 is more story driven, more linear to say the least. There are no 400 side missions to drive you away. It's a direct shooter, with a direct objective...start the game and you finish the game.

Another complain would be the replay value...i found none. I played the game, finished it and then i started doing the vigilante stuff, and after i bought FIFA 09, GTA4 has become paper weight. Don't get me wrong this game for me it's tight! The shooting action rocks, the music, the city, the realism, and i liked the story is all about revenge. For me that's a 10. But after playing the game so much, it's gone down to 9.0 as i don't feel like playing the game anymore.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
[QUOTE="K1LLR3175"]
  • No planes
  • No tanks
  • Story was BOOORING

americahellyeah

perfect... this is exactly what was wrong with the game..

Agreed