Finally getting a PS3 (Advice needed)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

khalid_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 khalid_b
Member since 2005 • 622 Posts

Hey guys wats up,

So im finally making the plunge but i am having some trouble picking between the 40 gig and the 60 gig. Besides the difference in BC between the two are there any other differences?(be them external or internal)

Also can u please advise me on what accessories are must-haves to go with the PS3? Currently I own a 42" HDTV capable of 720p/1080p output etc so I am guessing hdmi cables are a must...what brands should I be looking at? (No Monster cables plz guys)

Besides the HDMI cables I have no idea of what else I should get (accessory wise) as I have had no prior experience with the system besides what I've read on these boards and elsewhere. So any tips would be much appreciated.

Thx in advance guys :)

tgrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tgrace
Member since 2006 • 442 Posts
Any HDMI cable will work. You don't need to spend $80 on one. From what I understand the difference between the 40 & 60 is the 40 has 2 less usb ports and no card readers.
theiceman08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 theiceman08
Member since 2007 • 498 Posts

if you dont want to spend a lot of money theres nothing wrong with getting a 40 gig. I mean does anyone actually play PS2 games on there PS3. Other than the BC thing theres also the fact that there are only 2 USB ports in the 40 gig but thats no a big deal either, thats the same amount as the XBOX 360.

As for accesorries, you're obviously going to need controllers but you might want to wait until the dual shock 3s come out if you cant live without rumble. Also if you play online multiplayer you have to have a mic. I suggest bluetooth but any mic is fine. I dont now about HDMI cables because im still rockin the standard definition television.

That ought to do it. Welcome

VitamiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 VitamiX
Member since 2005 • 487 Posts
I got a 60 gig and I personally wouldn't have gotten a 40 gig cause I don't have a PS2 and haven't for five years. Plus, it's got more memory (DUH.) without being excessive. And although it says no monster cables, I got a set (YPbPr)for 20 dollars and they display in full 720p.
gizmo_logix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gizmo_logix
Member since 2005 • 4224 Posts

Hey guys wats up,

So im finally making the plunge but i am having some trouble picking between the 40 gig and the 60 gig. Besides the difference in BC between the two are there any other differences?(be them external or internal)

Also can u please advise me on what accessories are must-haves to go with the PS3? Currently I own a 42" HDTV capable of 720p/1080p output etc so I am guessing hdmi cables are a must...what brands should I be looking at? (No Monster cables plz guys)

Besides the HDMI cables I have no idea of what else I should get (accessory wise) as I have had no prior experience with the system besides what I've read on these boards and elsewhere. So any tips would be much appreciated.

Thx in advance guys :)

khalid_b
Get an HDMI cable from monoprice ($7.00)
justifythegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 justifythegame
Member since 2003 • 475 Posts
don't buy either. i wish i never bought mine, i still just play my ps2. just wait till next year, by then some games will be out, and ps3 might be even cheaper...or else you'll just regret wasting your money for nothing like me.
khalid_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 khalid_b
Cool guys thx alot for the feedback. Yeah ill wait until the DS3 comes out before I purchase extra controllers.
khalid_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 khalid_b

10-17-2007

don't buy either. i wish i never bought mine, i still just play my ps2. just wait till next year, by then some games will be out, and ps3 might be even cheaper...or else you'll just regret wasting your money for nothing like me. justifythegame

hmm u rly think sony will lower their price even more? I mean they already lowered it by $100 in such a short space of time which is a rly big deal. Also the fact that Sony is making some losses on these systems (they intend to get back their revenue thru games) makes me highly doubtful of a price cut netime in the near future. As always the future is uncertain but I think ill purchase it sometime soon for Christmas. I mean if they intend to make ne other price cuts (which i highly doubt) now is as good a time as ne rite?

sykojason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 sykojason
Member since 2003 • 192 Posts

Depending on what games you play, you should get a headset. Any bluetooth headset will work, I've got a Motorola H500 and it works pretty good but any bluetooth should do well.

dstryr13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dstryr13
Member since 2007 • 6521 Posts
a $5 HDMI cable will work just as well as a $100 cable
thageneral2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thageneral2
Member since 2007 • 595 Posts

I didn't know they still sold the 40 gig

If you buy an 80 gig from gamestop.com I think you get 5 free blue ray movies, not a bad deal at all, Im not sure that's still going on though

cloud121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 cloud121
Member since 2003 • 488 Posts
yea the ps3 is good now 360 is only surviving because of halo 3 and the upcoming ports if the games never got ported ps3 wud be doin excellent since the 100 dollar price drop its worth it in the future for now its doing kind of good and bad i have a 60 gb because of the emotion chip because i play alot of of old games
awexom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 awexom01
Member since 2005 • 43 Posts
Quick question regarding the PS3, can u watch HD DVDs in it, or just blu-ray?
khalid_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 khalid_b
From what i read PS3 only supports BR format but thats good cuz BR is the future :). 100 gig storage space ftw.
H8s2spooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 H8s2spooge
Member since 2006 • 650 Posts

$400 40GB,2 USB, no reader.

$500 80GB, 4 USB, all readers.

These will be the prices, until 2009.

Most likely.

dstryr13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dstryr13
Member since 2007 • 6521 Posts

Quick question regarding the PS3, can u watch HD DVDs in it, or just blu-ray?awexom01

blu-ray only

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts

I didn't know they still sold the 40 gig

If you buy an 80 gig from gamestop.com I think you get 5 free blue ray movies, not a bad deal at all, Im not sure that's still going on though

thageneral2
LOL the Ps3 40 gig JUST came out. Your thinking of the discontinued 20 Gig
osirisomeomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 osirisomeomi
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts
Basically, if you use BC, then get the 60 gig. otherwise, get the 40 gig, since nobody uses the card readers and you don't need 4 USB ports.
babystapler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 babystapler
Member since 2005 • 1679 Posts

10-17-2007[QUOTE="justifythegame"]don't buy either. i wish i never bought mine, i still just play my ps2. just wait till next year, by then some games will be out, and ps3 might be even cheaper...or else you'll just regret wasting your money for nothing like me. khalid_b

hmm u rly think sony will lower their price even more? I mean they already lowered it by $100 in such a short space of time which is a rly big deal. Also the fact that Sony is making some losses on these systems (they intend to get back their revenue thru games) makes me highly doubtful of a price cut netime in the near future. As always the future is uncertain but I think ill purchase it sometime soon for Christmas. I mean if they intend to make ne other price cuts (which i highly doubt) now is as good a time as ne rite?

There will always be price cuts, so you just have to decide how long you're willing to wait. I bought a launch 60GB and I couldn't be happier with Resistance, Oblivion, Rainbow Six, MLB The Show, and Warhawk. I could have waited, but where's the fun in that? It's just money, after all.

The holidays look great too, with Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, Haze, Unreal Tournament 3, and a host of multiplatform games, too.

If you're not worried about PS2 games, the 40GB might not be a bad choice, but I've got a hefty pile of PS2 games that I don't want to let go.

As far as accessories go, you can use ANY bluetooth headset with the PS3. Also, any HDMI cable should do as long as it's not more than a few dozen feet.

shudog2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shudog2
Member since 2007 • 212 Posts
the 40 gig is brand new
justifythegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 justifythegame
Member since 2003 • 475 Posts

10-17-2007[QUOTE="justifythegame"]don't buy either. i wish i never bought mine, i still just play my ps2. just wait till next year, by then some games will be out, and ps3 might be even cheaper...or else you'll just regret wasting your money for nothing like me. khalid_b

when its really up to you. what have you really got to lose by waiting till next year? you will be satisied with your purchase because there should be a variety of games coming out like back when we were playing our ps2s. there really isn't anything to justify the purchase of a ps3 right now, and by waiting you may get a price cut and enjoy your purchase because there are games. i'm just speaking from experience, i bought a ps3 like a stupid fanboy last december and had no good games to play except resistance. i mean, i will wait for the games but it really hurts when the prices drop, new bundles come out, new controllers are created etc...and i really gained nothing from buying a ps3 so early. just my opinion.