Finally bought a PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

McA713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 McA713
Member since 2010 • 123 Posts

Hello everyone,

I went and bought a 500GB Playstation 3 yesterday, which came with Hitman Absolution, Gran Turismo 5: Academy Edition, Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception, Far Cry 3.

I'm loving Hitman, I loved all the Hitman games when I was younger, and might consider buying the last three games soon. I've also played Gran Turismo, and I'm also really enjoying it, although finding the racing a bit easy.

I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations on games that I might enjoy? Basically trying to catch up on the last 5 years!

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#2 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Here's 10 that you might want to check out...

Retail suggestions:

• Black Ops (FPS, first one not the second)
  • Blur (racing game)
  • Deadliest Warrior (fighting game)
  • Saints Row The Third (open world game)
  • Tiger Woods 13 Masters Editions (golf game)

PSN suggestions:

• Bowling 3D
  • Hustle Kings (pool game)
  • Limbo (platform/puzzle game)
  • Magic 2013 (card based game)
  • Pinball Arcade
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Hello everyone,

I went and bought a 500GB Playstation 3 yesterday, which came with Hitman Absolution, Gran Turismo 5: Academy Edition, Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception, Far Cry 3.

I'm loving Hitman, I loved all the Hitman games when I was younger, and might consider buying the last three games soon. I've also played Gran Turismo, and I'm also really enjoying it, although finding the racing a bit easy.

I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations on games that I might enjoy? Basically trying to catch up on the last 5 years!

McA713

Since you have a 500GB PS3, i would look into PS+, it has alot of free downloadable games and almost everything on the PS store is discounted.

Retail games

Infamous, God of War, Resistance, Little Big Planet are all popular

Downloadables

Journey is almost a must have, Flower and Limbo are good to.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
great pick up. There is a recommendation thread at the top of the ps3 board. Check it out.
JogsterXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JogsterXL
Member since 2010 • 298 Posts
Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots
H_M_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 H_M_1
Member since 2011 • 1150 Posts
Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the PatriotsJogsterXL
Definitely.
ReindertVR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ReindertVR
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Red Dead Redemption is a must have
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#8 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Might try the sticky. It's there for a reason.

OldSnakePS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 OldSnakePS3
Member since 2012 • 306 Posts
^this^ along with Demon's Souls God of War 3 Uncharted 1-3 killzone 2,3 resistance 1-3 infamous 1,2 little big planet heavy rain heavenly sword start with these
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Hello everyone,

McA713

I recommend (I'm sure I'll miss a few games)

• Uncharted
  • Uncharted 2 (play the first two uncharteds before you play Uncharted 3)
  • MGS4
  • Batman Arkham City
  • Batman Arkham Asylum
  • Borderlands
  • Borderlands 2
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • RE5
  • GTA4
  • Saints Row 3
  • Mass Effect
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Dragon's Dogma
  • Assassin's Creed series
  • The Walking Dead (it can be bought on PSN, it's 5 "episodes" long)
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Max Payne 3
  • inFamous
  • inFamous 2
  • Battlefield 3
  • God of War 3
  • Dead Space
  • Dead Space 2
  • Heavy Rain
  • Xcom Enemy Unkown
  • Dark Souls
  • Demon Souls
budgetgadgets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 budgetgadgets
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Recommend you to budgetgadgets site for some accessaries for the machine itself and games needed.:)
joe_b1_kenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 joe_b1_kenobi
Member since 2007 • 849 Posts

IMO the batman arkham games are the best on the system followed by uncharted and mass effect. Even though many would disagree with me, I think the assassins creed games are seriously overated and wouldn't reccomend them to anyone.

porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

^^^^ This

Also, grab the Infamous games, Heavy Rain, The Walking Dead and if you like solid single player fps then the Resistance and Killzone games are worth a look.

neseri12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 neseri12
Member since 2009 • 207 Posts

Saints Row 2. It´s much better than the third and will last you longer. Also Metal Gear Solid 4, great game!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
You all disappoint me. Their is a serious lack of Rachet and Clank Future trilogy recommendations in this topic. Also many of the collections would be a great deal for you. God of War Saga and InFamous Saga are must haves for the new Ps3 owner, along with games like Borderlands 2, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, Portal 2, 3D dot game heroes, Sonic Generations, Batman Arkham games, Uncharted 2 and 3, Killzone 3, Motorstorm Apocalypse, and Metal Gear Solid 4...well anyways, have a good time.
porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

^^^ good point. There are several "collections" sets that are running pretty cheap. You could probably get 5 or 6(maybe more) for less than Hundred bucks and they'll give you months upon months of gameplay goodness. It's hard to beat 5 God of War games for less than 16 bucks.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Catching up on 5 years? Is this your first time jumping into this gen or do you just mean 5 years of exclusives?

If you're wanting to play multiplats you're going to have a blast catching up on all of this gens great games for super cheap.

McA713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 McA713
Member since 2010 • 123 Posts

Catching up on 5 years? Is this your first time jumping into this gen or do you just mean 5 years of exclusives?

If you're wanting to play multiplats you're going to have a blast catching up on all of this gens great games for super cheap.

whiskeystrike

First time jumping in to this gen, Last game I played was Hitman: Blood Money when it was released on Playstation 2!

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 whiskeystrike

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

McA713

First time jumping in to this gen, Last game I played was Hitman: Blood Money when it was released on Playstation 2!

Damn you got a ton of games to play. Alright I'm compiling a list of through the years, starting from when PS3 first released. I don't know really anything about PSN games so someone is going to have to cover that. You're going to be able to get a lot of good games for cheap, either used or through Amazon.com.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 whiskeystrike

Actually I just opted for this.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/ps3?view=condensed&sort=desc

It's a list of the highest scoring games on the PS3, exclusive and multiplat, collection and otherwise. Those are aggregate scores so you're getting some weird bell curve of all notable review sites, not just GameSpot scores. Click on any game and you can get a summary with links to official reviews, trailers and gameplay videos. IGNORE THE USER REVIEWS. Do not even give them the time of day. There are surely some well written and articulate user reviews but lots of fanboys (or antifanboys) score games unneccessarily high or low. I wouldn't even bother.

Now some collections to save you money rather than buying the games individually are

• inFamous collection
  • God of War saga
  • Killzone Collection
  • Resistance collection
  • Uncharted collection
  • Mass Effect trilogy
  • Assassin's Creed Ezio's trilogy
  • Journey Collector's Edition

You could get them cheaper if you buy them individually used but if you want it new and just an easy one time purchase then get the collections.

I would ignore the move for now. Very few games use it, it's getting little attention. You'll soon learn motion controls are just gimmicks. I think there is a rumored Hitman collection as well as already existing collections of PS2 games that have been remastered to HD, with surround sound support and trophies. Those are nice to check out.

Beware updates (oh god that Uncharted 2 one is like an hour long). Most games might update from a minute to 5 but there are a few that have really long updates/installs so now you're warned :P

Also, the PSN has a PStore section with dozens of classic PS1 games to play. From Crash Bandicoot to Spyro, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania, Final Fantasy... it has pretty much all the high profile games for your nostalgic reliving.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

Hello everyone,

McA713
go to the review's section on gs and click on ps3....there are scores on there if you care