Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of Lions - Too tactical?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PlaWeird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PlaWeird
Member since 2008 • 2239 Posts

I happened to watch couple videos in YouTube, where people were playing Final Fantasy Tactics. And for me, it looked pretty confusing, all the square switching and quick choices.

So what I wanted to ask; is Final Fantasy Tactics too challenging for an average Final Fantasy player like me? Do you need an enormous IQ to pass the game through or some nerdy super powers?

I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan and I just can't miss even one game of the series, especially now that I got to know that you can get Cloud in your game :> I'm planning to buy PSP and Crisis Core to myself as a christmas gift and 'cause I'm not that wealthy I have to start saving money right NOW.

And well, depending how you will answer to my question, I may buy The War of The Lions too.

Thanks to you all!

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts

It's a great game with a steep learning curve - but once you get past that, you'll likely get addicted to the game - it's the best strategy RPG I've ever played.

Once you get to learn how to play, it's tons of fun.

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts

FFT is very diverent from the mainseries

The game does require you to be cauteous you cant just rush in and hope for the best, having a good defence and keeping your characters within a save distance of eachotehr to help kill or heal is a must in the early levels
As you progres sthrough teh game its gets substantially easier because of the side jobs the units become more independent of eachother without teh need of having a healer a stones throw away at every turn this helps make the game easier and especially more fun as you keep branching down new job abilitys to suit your play****/p>

The game starts out with a very steep learning curve but the greater are the rewards once you have gained some decent units and familiarised with the system.

Dont be scared off bythe quick decision making in teh gameplay videos´after even teh first hour of playtime you are likely to have memorised the comand lists and breeze through them without even thinking. new abilitys are unlocked at steady interfalls so you wont be overwhelmed

PlaWeird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PlaWeird

Hearing all of that is so relieving! The whole game just sounds so inviting, it would've been a shame if it would've been just for geniuses... I'm so greatful to you guys!

I was really disappointed to the Dirge of Cerberus, it NOT being an RPG. If it would've been only an action game, I could've bought it, but the sharp-shooter thing just makes me blow my brains out. No thank you for that -_-

What about the other FF Tactics game? Does there appear any already shown FF characters or does it happen to be harder/easier to play? Story line, good or bad?

Just wondering.

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hot114
If you are revering to the GBA FFT that one is very easy and also very very long.
Personally i prever WotL as it gives a greater feel of acomplishment whereas the GBA game its just one random generated map after the other with long periods inbetween story segments

Its just a matter of personal preverence, the GBA version looks more cheerful and has a lighter story
Whereas the PSP game can be considered frustratingly hard and boring in the story department

PlaWeird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PlaWeird

Yeah, I remembered that I did read a review of the GBA version and it appeared to be pretty easy one, not having an actual 'story' or something like that.

I really think that I should get the War of the Lions. I can get really furstrated if the game I'm playing is a total piece of cake. You just have to get couple Game Overs during one game, that just is part of the fun :D

DireWolf44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 DireWolf44
Member since 2007 • 115 Posts
I'm a veteran of a lot of turn based strategy games, but War of the Lions just went way over my head. The combat system is awkward and ungainly. I found Jeanne D'arc to be much more enjoyable and easy to play, and you can get that on the Playstation Network now.
woogity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 woogity
Member since 2007 • 192 Posts

It takes some getting used to, but it is so rewarding when you really get into it. There are so many possibilities with this game with all the character classes. It is more in depth than other Final Fantasy games, but that's fine since battling is the whole focus of this game. Just remember to equip skills you learn and don't be afraid to switch jobs. You are completely in control of the skills your characters develop. Oh, and since it's your first time playing, use 2 save files so you don't get stuck somewhere you can't get out of. Don't be afraid of the learning curve, believe me!

johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts
the game isnt that hard once u learn the rules.
PlaWeird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PlaWeird

Good to hear that the job switching shouldn't be a problem, I kind of grew to hate it in FF III for DS.

I'm not afraid of the learning curve, not at all! Just good instructions and some time to get used to the modes in the game should be enough even for a slow one, like me :D

I can't just wait mah games~

aznstyle11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 aznstyle11
Member since 2008 • 1125 Posts
Well what do you expect? The name has tactical in it.
Shimmerweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 Shimmerweed
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts
Yes FFTactics is a superb SRPG if u get it first. After that. U'l see how bland the graphics are etc etc. The flaws will become more than noticable if u have other psp games to compare it to. But since its ur first game. It won't hurt. :D:D Get it! Before u move on to others, like Disgaea. xD
Shimmerweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 Shimmerweed
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts

I'm a veteran of a lot of turn based strategy games, but War of the Lions just went way over my head. The combat system is awkward and ungainly. I found Jeanne D'arc to be much more enjoyable and easy to play, and you can get that on the Playstation Network now.DireWolf44

Actually I quite agree with u as well. FFT pales in comparison to the other SRPGs for the psp. Disgaea > Jeanne D'Arc > FFT > Wild Arms > Field Commander . But depth-wise. FFT is the top. Graphics-wise = Disgeae. Jeanne is abit of everything, only its loading times are kinda long. Actually forget my previous post. GET Disgaea!! :D:D

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hot114

[QUOTE="DireWolf44"]I'm a veteran of a lot of turn based strategy games, but War of the Lions just went way over my head. The combat system is awkward and ungainly. I found Jeanne D'arc to be much more enjoyable and easy to play, and you can get that on the Playstation Network now.Shimmerweed

Actually I quite agree with u as well. FFT pales in comparison to the other SRPGs for the psp. Disgaea > Jeanne D'Arc > FFT > Wild Arms > Field Commander . But depth-wise. FFT is the top. Graphics-wise = Disgeae. Jeanne is abit of everything, only its loading times are kinda long. Actually forget my previous post. GET Disgaea!! :D:D

The OP expressed that he is not looking for a srpg and is just interested in the title for the sake of its FF label.

Besides disgaea is pretty much the dynasty warriors among SRPG's
The way that the game basicly begs you to over-level/gear and the abysmal AI wich is the same for every enemy from healer to warrior it pretty much raises the quistion if the S in srpg is justified for this title
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

its not that hard but just like everyone said already it has "a very steep learning curve"...

Shimmerweed

i'm curious about how FFT is the top depth-wise ? imo, it cant be compared to Disgaea in depth because its tiny, there is not much to do, also normal levels mean nothing i wonder why did they add it and job levels end at 8.

i'm not saying FFT is bad game, its 1998 game so its really good that it still lives, its just tiny compared to newer games. musics are so short on loop thus they are boring ( because they are not good enough )... skills are not fun to watch like disgaea and compared to normal attacks they are less powerful. etc.

SHERBO64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SHERBO64
Member since 2008 • 82 Posts
eh?
PlaWeird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PlaWeird

The graphics are never a problem to me. I mean if the game is good, having a catching story or lot of things to do, good missions and sidequests and stuff, what does it matter how it looks like?

For example, I have Final Fantasy VI (european III), and it IS 2D game and the graphics are just horrible. But the story is just great and it's full of stuff to do.

For that "well, duh, the tittle says tactics!" comment, I know! But the problem here wasn't that that it's a tactics game, but that is it too hard for somebody like me, who's definitely not one of the smartest persons in the world.

Anyhow, it really can still be better idea to play FFT first, before moving to Crisis Core. Just to make sure :D

aznstyle11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 aznstyle11
Member since 2008 • 1125 Posts

The graphics are never a problem to me. I mean if the game is good, having a catching story or lot of things to do, good missions and sidequests and stuff, what does it matter how it looks like?

For example, I have Final Fantasy VI (european III), and it IS 2D game and the graphics are just horrible. But the story is just great and it's full of stuff to do.

For that "well, duh, the tittle says tactics!" comment, I know! But the problem here wasn't that that it's a tactics game, but that is it too hard for somebody like me, who's definitely not one of the smartest persons in the world.

Anyhow, it really can still be better idea to play FFT first, before moving to Crisis Core. Just to make sure :D

PlaWeird

My comment didn't sound like that! I have yet to be interested in a SRPG though.

PlaWeird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PlaWeird

Well it almost did! :D 'kay, sorry. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth, it just happened!

UnamedThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 UnamedThing
Member since 2008 • 1761 Posts

Well what do you expect? The name has tactical in it.aznstyle11

Touche.I forget the alt code for the "e" with the accent.

JadeTorchwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#22 JadeTorchwood
Member since 2009 • 874 Posts

Yeah, I remembered that I did read a review of the GBA version and it appeared to be pretty easy one, not having an actual 'story' or something like that.

I really think that I should get the War of the Lions. I can get really furstrated if the game I'm playing is a total piece of cake. You just have to get couple Game Overs during one game, that just is part of the fun :D

PlaWeird
Yeah, you should get War of the Lions. It can be frustrating & hard at first, but it gets easier after getting some practice. If you're new to playing strategy games like Tactics, play Jeanne D'Arc. I really enjoyed War of the Lions. Loved getting the unlockable characters like Balthier, Cloud, and Luso from FFTA2.
Josh5890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Josh5890
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts

dude this is an old topic

damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

I'm a veteran of a lot of turn based strategy games, but War of the Lions just went way over my head. The combat system is awkward and ungainly. I found Jeanne D'arc to be much more enjoyable and easy to play, and you can get that on the Playstation Network now.DireWolf44

Yeah I was recommended to try Jeanne d'arc first before getting into these types of games because is more fun and casual, but still has that hardcore feel for it. I recommend to you to try jeanne d'arc and if you really like it then try FFT. As for me I loved jeanne d'arc and have moved on to disgaea: afternoon of darkness.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#25 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

If you can believe it, there are games more complex than FFT...

But you won't "get" FFT just by watching some vids.