EGM Trashes Star Wars FU

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jeffbase33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jeffbase33
Member since 2007 • 317 Posts

Ugh, these reviewers are really pissing me off! Every game lately has been getting bad reviews, and destroying the excitement I had for these titles. Haze, Too Human, Mercs 2, and now this game.

This game has been hyped up for over a year to be a truly awesome SW experience. Plus I had a blast with the demo. Yet, EGM gave it a C with their biggest complaint that the game gets boring. After the first level, you start hitting roadblocks with your force powers and you no longer have that almighty powerful sensation.

I don't care. I'm still going to pick up this title along with Mercs 2!

Berserkerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 Berserkerz
Member since 2006 • 545 Posts
lol i dont get it either man,
like Assassin's Creed is EXACTLY like Mercs2, but w/ swords.
repetitive, bad story, and buggy.
i like both these games, and i think ones overrated, and ones underrated.
theyre average games, and if you like those games then review it, and prove them wrong man.
furrball6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 furrball6
Member since 2006 • 302 Posts
Just goes to show that professional reviews aren't the final say of whether one person will enjoy a game or not; the gamer is. I know I will be enjoying TFU on September 16 no matter what magazines/websites say.
Berserkerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Berserkerz
Member since 2006 • 545 Posts
lol yeagh. find other websites who uses the morethanonereviewer system lol, it helps SO much more.
Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Just goes to show that professional reviews aren't the final say of whether one person will enjoy a game or not; the gamer is. I know I will be enjoying TFU on September 16 no matter what magazines/websites say.furrball6

Those reviewers aren't saying it to spite you; they're saying it because that's what they're supposed to do, review a game. It does suck that so many games this year have flopped, but you shouldn't go out and spend your money just because you're mad that so many of your anticipated games didn't do so well. Don't get me wrong, if you enjoy it then by all means, go after it. Nobody should buy games just according to reviewers. But when reviewers mention that there are bugs, bad gameplay issues, and crappy camera, then mabe you should be a little more cautious.

pseudocaesar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pseudocaesar
Member since 2008 • 494 Posts
I think the thing is, these games are too hyped up. Reviewers are supposed to non objective about what they review, but lets face it. Everyone has been so excited for SW:FU that when the time comes to play it, it just doesnt deliver what you expected even if it may be a great game.
MorkkiTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7 MorkkiTH
Member since 2005 • 828 Posts
I don't care about those reviews. I'm still going to get Mercs 2 and SW: FU
True-Legend86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 True-Legend86
Member since 2007 • 1268 Posts
I agree with you, I had a blast with the demo as well. And not a real big Star Wars Fan, but I plan on picking this game up.
True-Legend86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 True-Legend86
Member since 2007 • 1268 Posts

Just goes to show that professional reviews aren't the final say of whether one person will enjoy a game or not; the gamer is. I know I will be enjoying TFU on September 16 no matter what magazines/websites say. furrball6

Exactly my thoughts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#10 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
A review is merely an opinion. Check out the game for yourself, and form your own "review"......
furrball6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 furrball6
Member since 2006 • 302 Posts

Those reviewers aren't saying it to spite you; they're saying it because that's what they're supposed to do, review a game. It does suck that so many games this year have flopped, but you shouldn't go out and spend your money just because you're mad that so many of your anticipated games didn't do so well. Don't get me wrong, if you enjoy it then by all means, go after it. Nobody should buy games just according to reviewers. But when reviewers mention that there are bugs, bad gameplay issues, and crappy camera, then mabe you should be a little more cautious.

Lyphe2k

I understand they don't have every person's individual tastes in mind when they're reviewing a game. Otherwise there would be no 'official' reviews. But like you said, if you enjoy it then go after it :D which is what I plan on doing because I enjoy Star Wars in general and the demo was awesome for me. It seems to be getting mostly 7.0-7.5 scores (except for EGM) which isn't bad by any means so that gives me hope too

Avatar image for ExplosiveChorro
ExplosiveChorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ExplosiveChorro
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts
if i had enough money for all these dam games that are coming out that i want i would be getting TFU but not anymore. i hate wasting my money.
Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts

I dont care about reviews, last gen my fav game was the .Hack series, they had an amazing story which kept me going and going. Reviewers normally follow trends, and some games receive more than they should, and others less than they should. TFU combat is not great, I will be the first to admit it, but the physics engine sets it apart from the rest, since no other game has a compeling physics engine as this. Also, its not that the combat is bad, its standard, which means that it can be an extremely entertaining game to play (Its a day one for me, partly cause Im a SW fanboy).

Reviewers should not be your deciding factor. In my opinion, the best friend we got in this era is the internet. we can get access to gamers opinion (if you are going to check conflictive games as Lair and Haze, look for the gamers reviews that are long, and show that they actually played the game and not copied reviewers flak). Also, our most useful tool: VIDEOS and DEMOS. Those 2 are my best friends this gen.

Im gonna love the game most likely, we have to also understand that the western society is bit*chy about certain subjects, which we may be less bothered by. I mean, we (1985 up) are more open to certain ideas, and plots. Reviewers most of the time are not, or because of their jobs (or so I want to believe) cant give much care into the story, thus most JRPGs flunk while they excel in RPG specialized sites as RPGfan and RPGgamer.

navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts
if it gets more bad reviews, and considering there is only a single player campaign (i think?) this game will go from a buy to a rent for me. I don't normally trust reviews (AC, R&C, HS, Uncharted) but there's so many other games coming up in september and october and novemeber that i'd rather own, so I most likely will rent to save my money.
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

Don't let reviews affect your decision on getting it and on what you think about the game.

If the game is great for you, then good for you. And don't trust reviews.

jeffbase33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jeffbase33

I think the thing is, these games are too hyped up. Reviewers are supposed to non objective about what they review, but lets face it. Everyone has been so excited for SW:FU that when the time comes to play it, it just doesnt deliver what you expected even if it may be a great game.pseudocaesar

I think that is the element that is pissing me off. For months, these same reviewers will give us previews, tell us that this game will be the next best thing since slice bread, get us all excited. Then the review comes out, oh yea, forget everything we said ,the game sucks. It is deflating.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts

I enjoyed the demo, I enjoyed gamespot's marathon, I love star wars, I've read the reviews, I'm buying the game. Reviews are factored into my decision making process, but they don't make or break my purchase decisions. That said, I think it's ignorant to outright ignore reviews. Just about every review contains information valuable to the decision making process.

Here's the meta for future reference: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/starwarstheforceunleashed#critics

septemberluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 septemberluc
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts

[QUOTE="pseudocaesar"]I think the thing is, these games are too hyped up. Reviewers are supposed to non objective about what they review, but lets face it. Everyone has been so excited for SW:FU that when the time comes to play it, it just doesnt deliver what you expected even if it may be a great game.jeffbase33

I think that is the element that is pissing me off. For months, these same reviewers will give us previews, tell us that this game will be the next best thing since slice bread, get us all excited. Then the review comes out, oh yea, forget everything we said ,the game sucks. It is deflating.

Very nicely put.
mohmaaytah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 mohmaaytah
Member since 2003 • 2397 Posts
I don't see what there is to disappoint the reviewers. I watched the marathon and enjoyed all 2 hours of it, and I wasn't even playing! How often can you say a game is good to watch? Maybe reviewers are getting too picky but this game ticked all of my boxes and it tops my buy list at the moment.
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#20 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
I love these threads. It basically scripts the reason why we're not getting any legendary games too often anymore. People buy smit regardless. :P
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
i only start getting cautious of a game when the majority are saying its not so good or so. though i liked haze and having fun with mercs 2 its just gamespot who are really giving it a mediocre review.
NuKkU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 NuKkU
Member since 2007 • 16904 Posts
dont trash the reviewers they are telling there opinions also Too Human sucked and mercs is supposed be SUPER glitchy and buggy and i kind of had a feeling SW:FU wasnt gonna be that good its was overhyped these reviewers are telling there opinions if u dont believe them THEN STOP READING THEM
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

I love these threads. It basically scripts the reason why we're not getting any legendary games too often anymore. People buy smit regardless. :PSymphonycometh

Agreed. The funny thing is, reviews are right more often than not. If the reviewer sees a flaw in the game, that flaw is there, no matter how hard you try to ignore it. You may have fun with the game or just think it looks cool (something looking cool doesn't always equal it working in actual gameplay), but a bad game is still a bad game.

CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts

[QUOTE="Symphonycometh"]I love these threads. It basically scripts the reason why we're not getting any legendary games too often anymore. People buy smit regardless. :PSilent-Hal

Agreed. The funny thing is, reviews are right more often than not. If the reviewer sees a flaw in the game, that flaw is there, no matter how hard you try to ignore it. You may have fun with the game or just think it looks cool (something looking cool doesn't always equal it working in actual gameplay), but a bad game is still a bad game.

exactly. Alot of the people in this thread are saying "oh reviews are just opinion i will still get this" but if something is seriously flawed it's not just an opinion. just save your money for the dozens of games coming out this fall T.T
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#25 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

Ugh, these reviewers are really pissing me off! Every game lately has been getting bad reviews, and destroying the excitement I had for these titles. Haze, Too Human, Mercs 2, and now this game.

This game has been hyped up for over a year to be a truly awesome SW experience. Plus I had a blast with the demo. Yet, EGM gave it a C with their biggest complaint that the game gets boring. After the first level, you start hitting roadblocks with your force powers and you no longer have that almighty powerful sensation.

I don't care. I'm still going to pick up this title along with Mercs 2!

jeffbase33

It's their opinion, so deal with it or ignore it.

soren008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 soren008
Member since 2008 • 2190 Posts

People buy smit regardless. :PSymphonycometh

Truth.

Excess money & Hype & Boredom contribute ...

PS3videos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 PS3videos
Member since 2007 • 834 Posts

Well, I have to agree with any bad reviews of Haze, Too Human and Mercs 2. All three came in way over hyped and half-baked. I played the Star Wars demo and was completely bored. But I'm not a big Star Wars fan. So I have the luxury of judging the game on its own merit.

The problem with average games this fall is that they're going against very strong games, including Gears of War 2, LBP, Socom and Resistance. So the great games will make the bad games look worse.

Still, buy the games you want and let the critics do what they do.

Keasy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Keasy4
Member since 2003 • 16843 Posts
Haze and 2 human to my eyes sucks, mercs 2 is a good game.. starwars since i played the demo seems like a cool game which imma still pick up.. if i listen to reviews i wouldnt own much games..
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Symphonycometh
Haze and 2 human to my eyes sucks, mercs 2 is a good game.. starwars since i played the demo seems like a cool game which imma still pick up.. if i listen to reviews i wouldnt own much games..Keasy4
I go by my gut feeling...and I still don't own too many games...you know...since I normally only choose the queens of the crop. =D
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

meh saw it coming

but no one believed me.

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Symphonycometh
^ Shoot, I saw it coming too. It felt like a rehash from the PS1 era, but everyone was too young or too much in denial to admit it. :P
Timmeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Timmeus
Member since 2007 • 1136 Posts
I loved the demo and enjoyed watching the marathon so unless it gets really bad reviews from sites I care about I'm getting it day one.
TheMazaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheMazaku
Member since 2008 • 766 Posts
Remember, more often than not some retailers watch reviews and monitor a games reception. Games that receive a bad reception generally drop in price quickly which can benefit those who want to play the game and save a buck. Sadly the price drop only happens after a month or so (if the game is really bad, sometimes if doesn't happen at all though). Let us just see... remember, don't base your purchases on what reviewers say, they are becoming less and less trustworthy IMO.
jeffbase33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jeffbase33

Well, I have to agree with any bad reviews of Haze, Too Human and Mercs 2. All three came in way over hyped and half-baked. I played the Star Wars demo and was completely bored. But I'm not a big Star Wars fan. So I have the luxury of judging the game on its own merit.

The problem with average games this fall is that they're going against very strong games, including Gears of War 2, LBP, Socom and Resistance. So the great games will make the bad games look worse.

Still, buy the games you want and let the critics do what they do.

PS3videos

Dude ,that's the problem right there. Thanks to the hype, you are assuming that LBP, Socom, Gears of War 2 will all be AAA titles. Yet, no game is safe anymore from this nit picky crap. Everyone is so excited about this games, but they could end up in the trash bin just like Mercs 2. Mercs 2 was a HUGELY hyped game. I am shocked that it is not a great title. The first game was excellent. The only thing the developers had to do was add more options and a new graphics engine. That's all I need!

The point is why bother getting excited about future titles when they will end up getting trashed by reviewers. I'm tired of it.

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts
did you play the demo? it really wasn't that good. And it's pretty generic too, beyond some nice visuals and a few cool force techs. I careless about the review, especially from egm, but it doesn't mean they didn't get it right. Just like egm, this is my opinion.
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
u had high hopes for games that anyone could have told you was going to turn out pretty average
mohmaaytah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mohmaaytah
Member since 2003 • 2397 Posts

I'm surprised the game isn't so anticipated around here. I guess it may not be everyone's thing but as a Star Wars game it implemented the who thing correctly as far as I'm concerned.

To the people saying games are flawed etc... Well sure this one would have some flaws, but even a 9.5 has flaws that denied it the last 0.5. I have gone through the demo a few times and watched the marathon extensively so surely it deserves a 7 at least. The question of flaws is always relative, I played games rated 9 whose flaws I could not tolerate, and played 4's that I could enjoy without paying much attention to the flaws. Its a personal thing.

jeffbase33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jeffbase33

u had high hopes for games that anyone could have told you was going to turn out pretty averageTheSystemLord1

Bull corn. These games were highly anticipated as next gen titles. Game Informer started reporting on the SW game like 2 years ago. Haze was also supposed to be one of the big exclusives for PS3. If you ask me, Reistance 2 is just another Gears of War clone, FPS are all alike and average.

Mujambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mujambo
Member since 2007 • 1039 Posts
Ultimately, you need to try it right? I'm getting it but not expecting it to be an amazing game, just something I can button mash and not think too much about. Honestly though, the three games you mentioned in your original post, the first two at least, were complete let downs and were really bad in my opinion. Mercs I would give a little better a review than GS did but it was a big let down after I got hyped over it. Very few games these days it seems are getting good scores. It was not too long ago, or maybe before the current generation of each publisher's consoles, that many games were getting 8's. Maybe the bar was set much higher by the likes of GTA, MGS, etc.
JohnHatler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JohnHatler
Member since 2008 • 50 Posts
First you must ask yourself, do you generally agree with the reviews given by this particular magazine. Reviewers are people too. You must find the right group of reviewers that mostly relate to your gaming preferences. Everyone has their own "gaming comfort zone" and this decides what games "just feel right" to them. I have not read the review, but have played the demo extensively and thoroughly enjoy it. Though I can see where many of the games short comings may lie. For one, this game was cross- platformed. This is going to affective the development of any game. This is apparent in the good but not amazing graphics seen in the PS3 and 360 versions. Graphics are only a part of the whole, but it is safe to assume that presentation and polish were lowered to compromise a cross-platform release. A control issue that personally stuck out was the inability to move while using the force. Perhaps this changes after a level up, but even Psi Ops allowed movement the entire time while using a similiar technique. The most often mentioned detriment to this game so far has been repetition. Sure you start the demo off with all powers and it is excellent fun to demolish enemies and objects using them, but is the game structured to take advantage of these powers throughout the course of an entire game. Does the gamplay advance and incorporate many uses for these powers? These are the type of questions reviewers ask themselves while playing. An ever increasing level of criticism is being applied to proffessional reviews. The demand for the best is a large part of what drives improvements in these games and is important for advancing the gaming media as a whole
Elviathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Elviathan
Member since 2006 • 5052 Posts
Then don't listen to them. Everybody has their own opinions on what a good game is. If a person thinks this game is bad doesn't mean you should. And btw, I thought Star Wars Force Unleased was decent. The game got too repetitive and I got bored too, but that's just me. The physics and everything else was great though! :)
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

[QUOTE="pseudocaesar"]I think the thing is, these games are too hyped up. Reviewers are supposed to non objective about what they review, but lets face it. Everyone has been so excited for SW:FU that when the time comes to play it, it just doesnt deliver what you expected even if it may be a great game.jeffbase33

Thats very true, if the game was so bad when you sat and played multiple levels for hours on end you should have noticed all these faults. Its not live devs make a demo and say well this great everyone loves it, now lets figure out how to make the game worst. Its basically the same game with maybe graphical tweaks and bugs worked out, so yeah that is annoying when they praise it two weeks before the review comes out in a preview of the near final build but then trash the actual final game. Well I remember Heavenly Sword got underwhelming reviews and one of the big complaints was it got boring, but I enjoyed it after eventually getting it.

I for one has never placed my stake on reviews, sometimes I agree with them, sometimes I don't but they dont influence me much because its just someones opinion. I mean what was different above Heavenly Sword vs say God of War which is praised all the time, but you just go through the game doing the same hack and slash stuff with boss battles and QTE's thrown in. Some people would say that it sucks, others that its great, therefore you can only count on you.

Blur_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Blur_Fan
Member since 2008 • 140 Posts

I agree, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. They should spend quality time with the game and then see how they feel. You can't lash out at someone for their opinion. This isn't the Senate.

But I have a few points as a film/music critic:

1.) Saying that a reviewer is biased is a huge mistake. Keep in mind that your view point is also biased. If you absolutely love Star Wars, then you're going to be able to look over any flaws the game might have. I did this for the Getaway back in the PS2 days. Poor reviews, but I love British crime dramas, so I loved it.

2.) A good way to look at reviews for games is to shift you from: not interested to rent/buy, rent to buy, or vice versa. AC got 9 reviews by most critics. I tried it out, and I couldn't play it for more than 2 days, before I grew weary of the combat and shallow story. Went from a buy to a rent.

3.) Hype is not a problem. If it is, it's a self-inflicted wound by the developers or the publisher. But then again, that's marketing 101. You want to get people excited, so that they will run out a purchase the product.

I gave the demo a spin. While I don't like Star Wars, I still wanted to see if the storytelling (and fun with Euphoria) would win me over. I found it to be flat on the gameplay. The powers were kind of cool, I enjoyed controlling tie-fighters to crush tiny little Stormtroopers. But, that wore off before the demo was even done.

So, please don't blame game reviewers. They are (mostly) professional and highly adept at critiquing.

Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

and why its surprising ?

i played the demo and thought this game can get around 7.0-8.0 only... its no surprise if its a flop...unless you are a fanboy...

xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

i think anyone who says this game is good hasnt played psi-ops

thats right a ps2 game puts this one to shame

x_cosmo_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 x_cosmo_x
Member since 2004 • 76 Posts

Wow, this is off the subject at hand but i gotta say Socom Confrontation Bata is Amazing despite the long loading times between matches this is gonna be the game that defines PS3 online network :P

Foechuckle[War] - brought to you by: tripletags.com

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Symphonycometh

[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]u had high hopes for games that anyone could have told you was going to turn out pretty averagejeffbase33

Bull corn. These games were highly anticipated as next gen titles. Game Informer started reporting on the SW game like 2 years ago. Haze was also supposed to be one of the big exclusives for PS3. If you ask me, Reistance 2 is just another Gears of War clone, FPS are all alike and average.

Bioshock spits on this logic.
jeffbase33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jeffbase33
[QUOTE="jeffbase33"]

[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]u had high hopes for games that anyone could have told you was going to turn out pretty averageSymphonycometh

Bioshock spits on this logic.

Bioshock is an industry rarity with an unique art style, environment, and tale of morality. OTOH, how many FPS of marines vs aliens have we had? Quite a few.

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Symphonycometh
^........ You win in that regard. lol I mean, how can I put up a respectable debate when we're hyping Killzone 2? lol
TMurphy28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 TMurphy28
Member since 2007 • 425 Posts

lol i dont get it either man,
like Assassin's Creed is EXACTLY like Mercs2, but w/ swords.
repetitive, bad story, and buggy.
i like both these games, and i think ones overrated, and ones underrated.
theyre average games, and if you like those games then review it, and prove them wrong man.
Berserkerz

Assassins Creed has FAR better graphics and a FAR better story. It is repetetive but if you're a casual gamer like me it's a great game.