dragon age: origins vs. demon's souls

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for fireemblemgamer
fireemblemgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fireemblemgamer
Member since 2007 • 205 Posts

I am wondering which of these games would be better for me. Both are very highly acclaimed RPG's, but the difficulty of demon's souls is slightly off putting to me. Is dragon age's gameplay similar to that of demon souls with more managable difficulty? Thanks

[EDIT] Someone mentioned that making this a poll would be more useful, and I agree, so I added one. The consensus from the thread seems to be pretty split. At this point, I am leaning more towards demon souls, as I watched a few gameplay videos for dragon age and it looks very tedious. I don't have the PC to run the superior version of it either, hence its unavailability in the poll

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
demons souls
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 TheTrueMagusX1
Member since 2009 • 2560 Posts

I am wondering which of these games would be better for me. Both are very highly acclaimed RPG's, but the difficulty of demon's souls is slightly off putting to me. Is dragon age's gameplay similar to that of demon souls with more managable difficulty? Thanks

fireemblemgamer

No, Dragon Age uses a more turnbased system, where as Demon Souls has more well lets say....real time combat as opposed to Dragon Age. Dragon Age is also more story driven then Demon Souls, but Demon Suols is more exploratory base. As for the difficulty, I think its challenging but not frustrating hard to be honest. Thats just me....

zbdyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 zbdyx
Member since 2007 • 2055 Posts
Dragon age is more of a moral/story RPG. Demons Souls is action oriented. It depends on what you want really.
Avatar image for fireemblemgamer
fireemblemgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fireemblemgamer
Member since 2007 • 205 Posts
I find that my favorite part of rpg's is the weapon/armor customization. But I prefer action and combat to turn based systems, so thanks for the heads up. Are there any other RPG's that are similar to Demon Souls on the PS3 gameplay wise? I think I might rent Demon Souls to judge the difficulty for myself before buying it.
Sloan360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Sloan360
Member since 2009 • 1449 Posts

I prefer Dragon Age because it has a more involving story. The difficulty is Dragon Age can even compete with Demon's Souls when on the hardest setting, and might even surpass it in some aspects. Demon's Souls is just very unforgiving, making you restart everything if you mess up, whereas you can save after any battle in Dragon Age.

jaspap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jaspap
Member since 2005 • 1504 Posts

Demons Souls all the way, the atmosphere in the game is some of the best I have seen since Shadow of the Colossus. There is actually gameplay, not just point and click, you really have to pay attention to every move you make. Yes, there is not much of a story, but I would rather have a game like Demons Souls where they keep slowly feeding you these wild places and events, and incredible boss fights. Then a game where the story is so contrived, lifeless, like everyother coycat cat story revolving around elves and ogres. Demons Souls, it's one crazy ride.

Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

If you're looking for a story you need to pick up Dragon Age. Demon's Souls doesn't have a story. The combat in Dragon Age is very simplistic though, unlike Demon's Souls. You just tell them who to attack and they do the rest which is similar to many MMORPGs. I actually really liked Dragon Age a lot. It's not too challenging, but it can be if you want to adjust the difficulty.

I know plenty of people would suggest Demon's Souls over Dragon Age, but honestly neither one will appear to everybody. I liked DA a ton more than DS. I know plenty of people here liked DS more than DA. If you want a more traditional RPG, go with Dragon Age. If you want a action-RPG/dungeon-crawler and don't care about dying all the time and restarting the entire level each time, go with Demon's Souls.

ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts

Well it comes down to if you want challenge or fun.

I say that because Demon's Souls is a good game, but it is really frustrating and difficult and that is not fun at all and that ruined the game for me and I had to stop playing because of it.

And Dragon Age: Origins is the exact opposite and it is alot of fun to and it has a great story, and it is not in any way turnbased as someone has said as that is what I had thought before I played the game and then I played it and was happy with it because it wasn't turnbased as I hate turnbased type games.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheTrueMagusX1
Member since 2009 • 2560 Posts

Well it comes down to if you want challenge or fun.

I say that because Demon's Souls is a good game, but it is really frustrating and difficult and that is not fun at all and that ruined the game for me and I had to stop playing because of it.

And Dragon Age: Origins is the exact opposite and it is alot of fun to and it has a great story, and it is not in any way turnbased as someone has said as that is what I had thought before I played the game and then I played it and was happy with it because it wasn't turnbased as I hate turnbased type games.

ghstbstr

It is turn based, it is played in that manner. Sure things can happen, but you are limited by bars and such which are traditional mechanics found in turn based. Also the pause feature is neccesary as well adding more of a turn based element to the game...so it is turn based.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#11 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Demon's Souls is incredibly difficult until you get the feel of your character. Once you know what you're capable of and get down the timing, it really becomes a matter of "How patient are you?" as the game isn't too horrifyingly difficult as people make it out to be. Interestingly enough, you don't have to level up to beat the game. Sure, it helps, but you don't have to.

Dragon Age, on the other hand, is a very classic RPG. You're not going to win or get anywhere without leveling, on the harder settings. You're going to have to grind, experiment, and build characters with particular focuses on the battlefield in order to power your way through a fight. Boss fights are, again, classic RPG-like as you can go toe to toe with a dragon and so long as your HP is high enough, you can kill it and shrug off a dragon clawing you in the face. The gameplay becomes strategic and it matters where you put characters on the battlefield, but I built a tank character and just had the AI do their own thing and beat it with little problem. It isn't turn based strategy, exactly, as enemies won't pause and wait for you to hit them, and you can freely move around whenever you please. But there are cool down times for powers, and the game checks you stats against an opponent to see if you hit them, and things like that.

My thoughts:

Dragon Age = Better story, better characters

Demon's Souls = Better combat, better atmosphere, better enemy design

I would pick Demon's Souls

shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

I prefer Dragon Age because it has a more involving story. The difficulty is Dragon Age can even compete with Demon's Souls when on the hardest setting, and might even surpass it in some aspects. Demon's Souls is just very unforgiving, making you restart everything if you mess up, whereas you can save after any battle in Dragon Age.

Sloan360

Was about to say something like this.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

Demon's souls is better IMO

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I much prefer DA:O to Demon's Souls. DA:O is highly addictive and has tons of sidequests plus dialogue options. That's what I prefer in my RPGs.

Avatar image for Atheos-Arkhaios
Atheos-Arkhaios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Atheos-Arkhaios
Member since 2008 • 880 Posts

I would definitely get Demon's Souls over Dragon Age. I love Dragon Age, but Demon's Souls is something special that doesn't happen often imo.

dkjestrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dkjestrup
Member since 2007 • 1214 Posts
Completely different gameplay. Dragon Age is almost like a small scale RTS. It's about micro managing your party members, and then they do what you tell them to. Demons Souls is an ARPG, where you control the character directly. Honestly, Demons Souls isn't hard. I'm serious.
Atheos-Arkhaios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Atheos-Arkhaios
[QUOTE="dkjestrup"] Honestly, Demons Souls isn't hard. I'm serious.

Haha, yeah okay...Demon's Souls is indeed hard, so don't let someone fool you into buying it by telling you it's not. The level of risk/reward is much higher when you can lose hours of leveling up very quickly by a stupid mistake.
dkjestrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dkjestrup
^ Are you kidding? I'd accept that it's averagely hard, but unless you run around like a complete retard you won't have any problems. Everything is tactical and in your head, you don't need to string together amazing combos to do well. I've had the game since June last year, and it's definitely not hard. Doesn't touch Resistance on Superhuman or Ninja Gaiden. Hell, the LBP Contra levels are harder. I probably died maybe 30 times my entire first playthrough, and now I can easily play through the game without losing any souls I've earned.
Atheos-Arkhaios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Atheos-Arkhaios

^ Are you kidding? I'd accept that it's averagely hard, but unless you run around like a complete retard you won't have any problems. Everything is tactical and in your head, you don't need to string together amazing combos to do well. I've had the game since June last year, and it's definitely not hard. Doesn't touch Resistance on Superhuman or Ninja Gaiden. Hell, the LBP Contra levels are harder. I probably died maybe 30 times my entire first playthrough, and now I can easily play through the game without losing any souls I've earned.dkjestrup
These arguments don't ever go anywhere. I'll accept that your "averagely hard" may be my "more hard than usual". No biggie. However, the OP should know that without a doubt Demon's Souls is more difficult than Dragon Age. In Dragon Age, you can at least adjust the difficulty down so that you can make it easier on yourself. Not so in DS. In Dragon Age you can save frequently before fights and not lose your work up to that point. Not so in DS. There many other differences that make DS much harder than Dragon Age, but that's really my point. In addition to that, it's already been pointed out but Dragon Age is a pause and micromanage kind of strategy game, whereas DS is action oriented.

TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheEldestGod
Member since 2010 • 4142 Posts
Demon's Souls is the only answer.
TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheEldestGod
Member since 2010 • 4142 Posts
^ Are you kidding? I'd accept that it's averagely hard, but unless you run around like a complete retard you won't have any problems. Everything is tactical and in your head, you don't need to string together amazing combos to do well. I've had the game since June last year, and it's definitely not hard. Doesn't touch Resistance on Superhuman or Ninja Gaiden. Hell, the LBP Contra levels are harder. I probably died maybe 30 times my entire first playthrough, and now I can easily play through the game without losing any souls I've earned.dkjestrup
I agree. Its all about simple strategy. As long as you're paying attention and know when to use your shield and when to strike you should do just fine. If Demon's Souls is too hard for anyone then they're just doing it all wrong.
Atheos-Arkhaios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Atheos-Arkhaios
[QUOTE="dkjestrup"]^ Are you kidding? I'd accept that it's averagely hard, but unless you run around like a complete retard you won't have any problems. Everything is tactical and in your head, you don't need to string together amazing combos to do well. I've had the game since June last year, and it's definitely not hard. Doesn't touch Resistance on Superhuman or Ninja Gaiden. Hell, the LBP Contra levels are harder. I probably died maybe 30 times my entire first playthrough, and now I can easily play through the game without losing any souls I've earned.TheEldestGod
I agree. Its all about simple strategy. As long as you're paying attention and know when to use your shield and when to strike you should do just fine. If Demon's Souls is too hard for anyone then they're just doing it all wrong.

That's fine and dandy, but the difficulty level is not ramped up simply by the "if you aren't good at it, you must suck!" mentality, but by the risk/reward setup of the game. If Demon's Souls let you save ALL the time like Dragon Age, then no it wouldn't be that difficult. But it doesn't! One small mistake and you get to start the whole level over basically.
dkjestrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dkjestrup
There are like hardly any enemies that can OHKO you in the first playthrough (outside of Dragon God etc). The only time you really should care about souls is when you're grinding for levels. If you lose a few thousand in a level, big deal, get over it. You will earn them so fast from 4-2 and 4-3 that you never need to worry. Shortcuts mean the levels aren't that long. Almost every level has a shortcut. 1-2 doesn't, but that level is short anyway. 1-4 doesn't, again it's a very short level. 4-2 doesn't, 5-1 doesn't, that's about it. Hell, you can skip 90% of level 4-1! Saving may annoy you, but it doesn't make it hard.
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#24 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

Demon's Souls.... and this should be made into a poll

Zathic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#25 Zathic
Member since 2007 • 1946 Posts

Demon's Souls if you prefer gameplay

Dragon Age if you prefer story

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Essian

Demon's Souls if you prefer gameplay

Dragon Age if you prefer story

Zathic
that does kind of sum it up... though Dragon Age does have great gameplay, and Demon's Souls has basically no story
Atheos-Arkhaios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Atheos-Arkhaios

True, if you want a great story you should play Dragon Age first. But for pure replay and gameplay awesomeness, Demon's Souls is the definite win for me.

ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
demons souls. seriously did you even after to ask?
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Demon's Souls.

Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts
Dragon Age: Origins I'm with dkjestrup, I haven't finished DS, but I wouldn't call it hard. Heck I thought some of the battles in DA:O were harder(and arguing that you can slip down to an easier difficulty is laughable as a con). The main difference in difficulty is that you can save in DA:O, whereas you have to restart a level in DS when you die. I didn't find DS difficult, more tedious in that if I died (which you will through the trial and error manner of enemies), I had to restart. I didn't even care that I lost souls (since you get the same number back going through the level). It was more the redoing of tedious stuff. If DA:O forced that on the player as well, I probably wouldn't have finished it either. So yea, I wouldn't call DS hard, more unforgiving. Plus I loved DA:O's gameplay, but yea, if you prefer more hands on action oriented, that's DS. I think TC's going for that one anyway. Heads up too, if you're gonna get DA:O, get it in the PC if you can. Gameplays better and difficulty's harder.
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Essian
[QUOTE="Sphire"]Dragon Age: Origins I'm with dkjestrup, I haven't finished DS, but I wouldn't call it hard. Heck I thought some of the battles in DA:O were harder(and arguing that you can slip down to an easier difficulty is laughable as a con). The main difference in difficulty is that you can save in DA:O, whereas you have to restart a level in DS when you die. I didn't find DS difficult, more tedious in that if I died (which you will through the trial and error manner of enemies), I had to restart. I didn't even care that I lost souls (since you get the same number back going through the level). It was more the redoing of tedious stuff. If DA:O forced that on the player as well, I probably wouldn't have finished it either. So yea, I wouldn't call DS hard, more unforgiving. Plus I loved DA:O's gameplay, but yea, if you prefer more hands on action oriented, that's DS. I think TC's going for that one anyway. Heads up too, if you're gonna get DA:O, get it in the PC if you can. Gameplays better and difficulty's harder.

maybe it's just because I didn't bother micromanaging my allies (I let their AI guide them), and that I didn't bother leveling them myself, hit auto-level every time, but I found a lot of DA:O to be particularly difficult, especially, and I mean FREAKING ESPECIALLY the Final Assault quest... god almighty...
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
Dragon Age if it's on PC. Demon's Souls on PS3.
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

Demon's Souls, DA:O was good, but it wasn't nearly as good as I expected, the combat seemed shallow and the game was just sort of boring and generally revolved around going through long dungeons repeatedly mashing the attack button while occasionally using a spell, special attack, or potion.

Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts
[QUOTE="Essian"] maybe it's just because I didn't bother micromanaging my allies (I let their AI guide them), and that I didn't bother leveling them myself, hit auto-level every time, but I found a lot of DA:O to be particularly difficult, especially, and I mean FREAKING ESPECIALLY the Final Assault quest... god almighty...

Oh man, I get what you mean about the Final Assault. Heck I think I would have had serious trouble if I wasn't an arcane warrior. My allies seemed to keep dying at a few points during that bit. But I never dropped the difficulty down! Too bad the final boss itself wasn't much. And sometimes I think auto-leveling is better, sometimes I felt like a blind man leading the blind allocating spells and attributes. At least the auto-level gives points relevant to the characters class.
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
[QUOTE="Sphire"][QUOTE="Essian"] maybe it's just because I didn't bother micromanaging my allies (I let their AI guide them), and that I didn't bother leveling them myself, hit auto-level every time, but I found a lot of DA:O to be particularly difficult, especially, and I mean FREAKING ESPECIALLY the Final Assault quest... god almighty...

Oh man, I get what you mean about the Final Assault. Heck I think I would have had serious trouble if I wasn't an arcane warrior. My allies seemed to keep dying at a few points during that bit. But I never dropped the difficulty down! Too bad the final boss itself wasn't much. And sometimes I think auto-leveling is better, sometimes I felt like a blind man leading the blind allocating spells and attributes. At least the auto-level gives points relevant to the characters class.

Honestly, I've played through the game a few times, and never had any difficulty. But when I was playing on my Arcane Warrior, the difficulty was laughable. I almost didn't have the will to finish the game because it was so easy.
ChickenCrimpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 ChickenCrimpy
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Demon's Souls is incredibly difficult until you get the feel of your character. Once you know what you're capable of and get down the timing, it really becomes a matter of "How patient are you?" as the game isn't too horrifyingly difficult as people make it out to be. Interestingly enough, you don't have to level up to beat the game. Sure, it helps, but you don't have to.

Dragon Age, on the other hand, is a very classic RPG. You're not going to win or get anywhere without leveling, on the harder settings. You're going to have to grind, experiment, and build characters with particular focuses on the battlefield in order to power your way through a fight. Boss fights are, again, classic RPG-like as you can go toe to toe with a dragon and so long as your HP is high enough, you can kill it and shrug off a dragon clawing you in the face. The gameplay becomes strategic and it matters where you put characters on the battlefield, but I built a tank character and just had the AI do their own thing and beat it with little problem. It isn't turn based strategy, exactly, as enemies won't pause and wait for you to hit them, and you can freely move around whenever you please. But there are cool down times for powers, and the game checks you stats against an opponent to see if you hit them, and things like that.

My thoughts:

Dragon Age = Better story, better characters

Demon's Souls = Better combat, better atmosphere, better enemy design

I would pick Demon's Souls

IndianaPwns39
My sentiments too. I have played both games and although both are classified as RPG's, to compare them is not rightly fair. They both might be RPG's in a sense but game mechanics etc. I liked both games but in Dragon Age, if I wanted to, I could simply go nuts and slaughter things without even trying, making me get bored of the game after a while. Have only started Demon Souls but have already experienced the fact that if you go nuts, you die quickly. Having to think about what your doing, taking your time and not barreling through every door like a SWAT team should not be called difficult, it makes the game demand respect. And these things are what make up for the short story line etc. If you want glitz etc, Get Dragon Age. If you want a challenge that will frustrate the living hell out of you at times but reward your efforts, get Demon Souls
_VenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 _VenomX
Member since 2009 • 1614 Posts

Demon's Souls Hands down