Does anybody ever use Folding at Home?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skatatay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 skatatay
Member since 2007 • 1617 Posts

Topic says it all. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts
I used it a couple times, I folded 3 times but it only counted 2 of them, but yeah if my PS3 is on it's because I'm playing a game, no folding anymore.
Shawtymann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Shawtymann
Member since 2006 • 2561 Posts
i just finished folding about an hour ago. i have 2% to go to finish my first project
Avatar image for Anti-Nerd_Gamer
Anti-Nerd_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Anti-Nerd_Gamer
Member since 2007 • 143 Posts
sometimes if im watching tv ill just flip on the ps3, i like it cuz im kinda helpin out society, u know, ya sounds kinda funky.. but when ur done with one... u can say yup i helped out in this groundbreaking discovery, all thnx 2 watchin tv
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts

Ive gotten about 50 folds or so on my PS3. I dont usually fold that much since it puts out a TON of heat after a couple of hours. Usually if my room is cold i will put it on a timer for about 6hrs and the temp will go up in the room by atleast several degrees to the point i nearly have to wear shorts lol.

I also use it sometimes to just play some music on a timer if i feel like listening before i fall asleep. Ive got about 100 songs on there so far. I kinda hope that GTA IV will have something where you have your own radio station and can listen to your own music or something lol.

deon99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deon99
Member since 2007 • 677 Posts
use mine like 4 hours a day and when i download podcast i listen to them while im folding.makes it interesting.
23_jordan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 23_jordan
Member since 2007 • 234 Posts
i barely use it (i think its boring)
TrevCubsOr21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 TrevCubsOr21
Member since 2006 • 934 Posts

I dont, because I turn my PS3 off when im not using it 2: 1) save power and 2) protect my PS3 from overheating! BUT yea I see people on my friends list using it all the time!

meteorgun7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 meteorgun7
Member since 2003 • 25135 Posts

I'm folding right now, 26 units down.

alberto2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 alberto2045
Member since 2005 • 1591 Posts
I got 130 work units your units are nothign compared to mine, the most that someone has its like 300+ untis, I want to get to the top 5 of folders. I just started again like 2 sayd ago cause for some weird reason it did not want to download a new unit it said: "Erro downloading from the server" idk why so that kept me off of it for like 2-4 weeks
SSJBrolli25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SSJBrolli25
Member since 2004 • 260 Posts
I fold all the time...but for some reason..my PS3 won't keep track of how many units I completed! Can someone tell me whats going on?
zenkenshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 zenkenshin
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Ive gotten about 50 folds or so on my PS3. I dont usually fold that much since it puts out a TON of heat after a couple of hours. Usually if my room is cold i will put it on a timer for about 6hrs and the temp will go up in the room by atleast several degrees to the point i nearly have to wear shorts lol.

Kurushio

I think something's really wrong with your PS3 :? I can fold all night for 12+ hours and my PS3 is barely warm to the touch the following morning :| Or maybe the 40gb version runs cooler then whichever model you have - I don't know.

But to answer the OP's question in a broader way, millions of people are using Folding@Home on a regular basis around the world either on PS3 or computer. There are hundreds of thousands of teams that joined up to assist in the Folding@Home project since it started, which is all spoken about in more detail through the official website and articles you can find through web searches.

I'll just turn on Folding@Home after I'm done using it for the day/night then set it to turn off automatically when it finishes the current unit. I'll also start any new demo/add-on downloads beforehand to finish during that time also. Works out perfect and there's no reason why I shouldn't. The power bill since I've been doing that only went up a negligible $10/month which can easily be contributed to something other then the PS3, and it doesn't hinder me at all from using the system since I can stop it at any time, so what reason is there not to use it and help out the University's research?

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts

I have about 65 work units...

lol

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
[QUOTE="Kurushio"]

zenkenshin

I think something's really wrong with your PS3 :? I can fold all night for 12+ hours and my PS3 is barely warm to the touch the following morning :| Or maybe the 40gb version runs cooler then whichever model you have - I don't know.

But to answer the OP's question in a broader way, millions of people are using Folding@Home on a regular basis around the world either on PS3 or computer. There are hundreds of thousands of teams that joined up to assist in the Folding@Home project since it started, which is all spoken about in more detail through the official website and articles you can find through web searches.

I'll just turn on Folding@Home after I'm done using it for the day/night then set it to turn off automatically when it finishes the current unit. I'll also start any new demo/add-on downloads beforehand to finish during that time also. Works out perfect and there's no reason why I shouldn't. The power bill since I've been doing that only went up a negligible $10/month which can easily be contributed to something other then the PS3, and it doesn't hinder me at all from using the system since I can stop it at any time, so what reason is there not to use it and help out the University's research?

I have the 60GB but also mine is in a somewhat enclosed area which doesnt help air flow. So basically after a while it will start sucking in the already heated exhaust and will heat it again and again and eventually the fan kicks into high and will warm the entire room. Right now i dont mind too much but in the summer im going to have to move it somewhere else to get better air.

Babylon_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Babylon_
Member since 2005 • 205 Posts
no, never used it, and never will.
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
i've got about 70 work units completed. i usually only fold on weekends though.
mmofnbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mmofnbs
Member since 2007 • 352 Posts
Every now and again I'll pop it on think I have about 10 units done.
chathuranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chathuranga
Member since 2003 • 3549 Posts
I fold while downloading something.
zenkenshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zenkenshin
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I have the 60GB but also mine is in a somewhat enclosed area which doesnt help air flow. So basically after a while it will start sucking in the already heated exhaust and will heat it again and again and eventually the fan kicks into high and will warm the entire room. Right now i dont mind too much but in the summer im going to have to move it somewhere else to get better air.

Kurushio

Ah, yeah that makes sense. Mine is standing sideways on top of my desk with nothing around or near it so it has all the air it can possibly ask for. You could say I kinda spoil it lol

Mujambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mujambo
Member since 2007 • 1039 Posts
I fold for a team that's pushing the top 500 soon. I have over 46,000 points accumulated in that account, my old account had about 15,000. I fold quite often, almost all the hours I'm not ps3 gaming, I'm folding
Xerolith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Xerolith
Member since 2007 • 136 Posts

I leave my PS3 on all day, everyday. If i'm not playing a game, or surfing the store/web, i'm Folding@Home.

I just recently bought my PS3 ofcourse, so at the moment I only have around 25 Units completed.

I have the 80GB Model of the PS3, and my system has not once even become close to getting hot to the touch. Maybe I just have very good air flow to my PS3.

Anyhow, I would advise everyone with a PS3 to Fold@Home. It's for a great cause.

Peng33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Peng33
Member since 2003 • 96 Posts

I've got about 17 work units completed so far. I only bought my 60 gig in January (yes...I purchased my 60 gig brand new in January of this year), but 2-3 times a week will leave my PS3 on to fold@Home while I doze off on the couch listening to music on my hard drive. Coincidently (or not so much), I've only slept in my bed once in the past week and a half. I've never noticed my PS3 get even slightly warm while leaving it on overnight to fold.

My only hope is that the info we are given on the purposes and uses for the simulation data is accurate, and that it will not be used for cloning/creating artificial life/creating "designer" humans. This would be too Brave New World for me, and something I am totally against. So I'm taking Standford and the project at face value that they are telling us the truth.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
See sig :)
hermes200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 hermes200
Member since 2003 • 1627 Posts

I started using it, but the first work unit I tried get corrupted after a couple hours.

Kind of bothers me the idea that you have to be there to use it and can't let it work in the background. I wouldn't like to take processing power when I am playing, but I wouldn't mind it when I am watching a video, in the PS Store or something...

YEPEE00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 4

#25 YEPEE00
Member since 2004 • 1277 Posts
i use to leave it on whilst i slept. not anymore though.
jay_rock_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 jay_rock_
Member since 2003 • 1720 Posts
I know what it is just never tried it....:)
Sony_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sony_92
Member since 2006 • 1030 Posts
I use it when Downloading or Just not Home or just when Im watching a movie or on my computer
planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 planbfreak4eva
Member since 2006 • 2856 Posts
i barely use it (i think its boring)23_jordan
ofcourse its boring..and i dont understand how does folding this home s*it is helping to cure deseases
SackBoy8255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SackBoy8255
Member since 2008 • 230 Posts
i have 205 and my team is number 184
SackBoy8255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SackBoy8255
Member since 2008 • 230 Posts
i have 205 and my team is number 184
AnthonyLuu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AnthonyLuu
Member since 2004 • 665 Posts
i did like 3 units and it never counted any of them so i stopped using it.
swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 swamplord666
Member since 2007 • 1873 Posts

[QUOTE="23_jordan"]i barely use it (i think its boring)planbfreak4eva
ofcourse its boring..and i dont understand how does folding this home s*it is helping to cure deseases

basically proteins fold themselves to work but they do it at such a speed that it's a mistery how it actually folds. Certain diseases like alzheimers, mad cow, parkinsons, certain cancers, etc... are caused by "misfolding". In other the proteins donèt function. By doing folding@home , they are able to make millions of simulations of a protein folding at a perceivable speed(millions of times slower). therefore each working unit is 1 simulation.

lokestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lokestar
Member since 2006 • 956 Posts
My ps3 is folding right now while I'm at work. I normally fold if I'm downloading demo's, video's, etc. or if I need to charge the controllers up for a while. I'll let it run all night if need be and then turn it off in the morning if I remember before leaving for work. Looks like I forgot to do that this morning :P If I'm just going to leave my ps3 on why leave it on and have it do nothing when it can do something beneficial. I don't understand why more people don't do this. It's just common sense to me.
cheapness1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 cheapness1
Member since 2003 • 883 Posts
Well when i wake up after a night out and stumble into the living room i'm often shocked to notice my playstation left on and folding (i use the auto-start thing)...it's good to know even in my inebriated state i'm helping the world in a small way :lol:
envybianchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 envybianchi
Member since 2004 • 1155 Posts
I've folded up to 12 units & almost completing my 13th unit! Some people say they've folded 60, 80, 100 & even 500 units! I can't even comprehend that amount! I mean each unit takes about 8 hrs to fold. You'd have to basically have your PS3 on all the time just to do that! I let my PS3 fold when I'm at work or at school. Unless, my girlfriend is at home & needs to use the internet, I have it turned off.
jacksik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jacksik
Member since 2007 • 619 Posts

Ive Completed 4 units but i started using it like 3 days ago

does anyone have a team that i can join

leke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 leke
Member since 2004 • 501 Posts
Nope, cuz im trying to save electricity:p and prevent my ps3 from overheating
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts
yep i use it , i keep it folding for like 20 min's everyday
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

No, never. People act like there isn't a couple hundred million people out there already working on a cure for cancer. Seriously, people. Anyone out there with a cure for cancer is set for life, his family is set for life, and their children's children's children are set for life. And so on. This Folding business is not as helpful as a lot of people make it out to be.

I'd just as soon not use as much electricity which, living in Florida, I have to use too much of anyway. Maybe do a little something for the environment. If everyone with a PS3 went out and exercised for the time they sit there and watch numbers tick with this folding thing, over a million people would be healthier and, as a result, happier. A better society starts with you, you know?

Hutsefluts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Hutsefluts
Member since 2004 • 60 Posts
going on my 169. workunit atm
brettski01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 brettski01
Member since 2006 • 50 Posts
I got 130 work units your units are nothign compared to mine, the most that someone has its like 300+ untis, I want to get to the top 5 of folders. I just started again like 2 sayd ago cause for some weird reason it did not want to download a new unit it said: "Erro downloading from the server" idk why so that kept me off of it for like 2-4 weeksalberto2045
yea right i bought two ps3s when it came out and when folding home came out i just kept the other ps3 on folding home....i never shut it off and i got 500 work units
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts
What is there to use? You just turn it on and walk away. Like downloading something from a P2P program, just turn it on and walk away. Only turn it off when you need to actually use the machine..
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 abdelmessih101
old thread - and yeah, I do use F@H
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 abdelmessih101
What is there to use? You just turn it on and walk away. Like downloading something from a P2P program, just turn it on and walk away. Only turn it off when you need to actually use the machine..Denji
exactly