Do you REALLY want to see a PS3 price cut?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

smithster118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 smithster118
Member since 2008 • 3910 Posts

Me personally, I don't

One reason is because PS3 is still losing money on each console sold and if they reduced it to Xbox 360 price range, they would be losing even more. Sony are already cutting many jobs and the PlayStation area may be affected soon they can't afford to lose any more money.

Also, if the PS3 reduced its price, the Wii would probably reduce its price and then it would be a price war and shun out the actually the quality of the console.

Less money would result in less quality games and maybe supplying developers with less money to make great games and I don't want to see that

Wuflungdung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Wuflungdung
Member since 2007 • 634 Posts

Me personally, I don't

One reason is because PS3 is still losing money on each console sold and if they reduced it to Xbox 360 price range, they would be losing even more. Sony are already cutting many jobs and the PlayStation area may be affected soon they can't afford to lose any more money.

Also, if the PS3 reduced its price, the Wii would probably reduce its price and then it would be a price war and shun out the actually the quality of the console.

Less money would result in less quality games and maybe supplying developers with less money to make great games and I don't want to see that

smithster118
I still find it very hard to believe they are loosing anything on the console. There is no way it costs +$400 like the rumours says.they make in way too many for it to be true. I can believe thats how much a single unit would cost to make, but the make millions of consoles.
sasapac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 sasapac
Member since 2008 • 1056 Posts

Me personally, I don't

smithster118

i know that sony lose money but a price cut of 50$-100$ will take ps3 to the top. however sony will lose more money but if a ps3 owener buy 4 1st party games sony will recover the money while it will be at the top

magicquebec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 magicquebec
Member since 2006 • 1306 Posts

Last year at Christmas i bought my PS3, they sold it for 349$ at EBgames. (The 40gig version with Spiderman 3)

I think they could see the new version for that price also, If EBgames sold it for 349$, LAST YEAR... i think they could easily sell the console this year also for that price.

Or maybe make a new package, 399$ with like 3 games!

Teefy-London

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Teefy-London
Member since 2008 • 32 Posts
No, Cause as ive said before it will mean Sony charging for use tha PSNl.
_Area51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 _Area51
Member since 2003 • 219 Posts

Think of it this way though: If they drop the price, there is a high probability that the console will start selling a ton more units. If the console started selling more and had a higher player base, then there is greater probability of getting some better games since they will likely sell more on the PS3. This in turn will put more money in Sony's pocket from software sales.

As it is now, from a business standpoint it is smarter to publish on other platforms due to a much higher probability of selling more units.

Sithassassin13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sithassassin13
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I say yes just so they can make more money than xbox and both companies are fierce rivals especially in video games and it would be good fight
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts
No - but possibly a bare-bones low end model with no hard drive and no wi-fi for $300 (like the Arcade 360 which is actually selling well).
jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 jshaas
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts
[QUOTE="sasapac"][QUOTE="smithster118"]

Me personally, I don't

i know that sony lose money but a price cut of 50$-100$ will take ps3 to the top. however sony will lose more money but if a ps3 owener buy 4 1st party games sony will recover the money while it will be at the top

Buying first party games won't offset the losses for the PS3 consoles. It costs a lot of money to make a game, and unless it sells like GTA or MGS they won't make enough profit on the games to offset an addtional $50-$100 loss on each system. Right now Sony's losing about $50 per console. It's reported that they will begin to break even on each console made within the next couple of months because they keep finding cheaper ways to produce the PS3. If this keeps up, Sony could start seeing a profit each PS3 sold within the next year or so. When this happens, we MIGHT see a price cut. I personally think Sony should try to recoup most of what they've lost on the PS3 before offering a price cut. I also think they should consider offering more bundles with both the 80gb and 160gb at the current price points. The $499 bundles should come with something else along with a game... like another DS3, or PS eye, or the new Keypad, or maybe even another game.
Teefy-London

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Teefy-London
Member since 2008 • 32 Posts
[QUOTE="_Area51"]

Think of it this way though: If they drop the price, there is a high probability that the console will start selling a ton more units. If the console started selling more and had a higher player base, then there is greater probability of getting some better games since they will likely sell more on the PS3. This in turn will put more money in Sony's pocket from software sales.

As it is now, from a business standpoint it is smarter to publish on other platforms due to a much higher probability of selling more units.

but as well we will have to put up with brainless gamers like the ones that turn up on the 360.
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts
[QUOTE="_Area51"]

Teefy-London

but as well we will have to put up with brainless gamers like the ones that turn up on the 360.

Yeah, it would be really clever if Sony stays on hardcore Gamers only, I mean, Sega showed how great it worked: Dreamcast was such a great console but waaay too expensive and yeah, they failed :S I personally think a price drop would be a good thing for Sony. It would bring more devs to port (on a good quality) to the PS3or even create exlusives. Don't forget that every Game you bu, EVERY, is licensed by Sony and that they take a part of the money you spent :S They won't loose that mich money :S

POPEYE1716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 POPEYE1716
Member since 2003 • 4749 Posts
NO!NO!NO! i always say it should be the same the ps3 does not need a price cut, it is well worth the money by far. Also, Sony does lose money there was a topic on GS about it and how much the system actually costs. everything in it is worth every penny.
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#14 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts
How many times is this question going to be asked here?
smithster118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 smithster118

How many times is this question going to be asked here?MusashiSensi

I don't see it that many times???

360player_eq12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 360player_eq12
Member since 2006 • 2214 Posts
I already have one so I dont care.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#17 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts
I already have one so I dont care.360player_eq12
Well if you asked me a month ago when I bought one for my family back home so my bro could play with me and they could watch Blu Rays, I'd have cared, but otherwise, exactly what this gentleman said.
-Shooter-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -Shooter-
Member since 2006 • 4295 Posts
I don't really care since I already have a PS3
smithster118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 smithster118

I already have one so I dont care.360player_eq12

Well it could affect you if you get some gammy gamers online getting the cheap console

cronew1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cronew1
Member since 2004 • 494 Posts

they gotta do something to increase sales and I am fairly sure that the other day gamespot had an article saying it was now 30% cheaper to make a PS3. I bought a PS3 after already having a 360 forexclusives like GoW, Metal Gear, Ratchet and Clank, and FFXIII, but besides that I don't see much other reason to buy a PS3 beside blu-ray. I need more compelling exclusives. I bought an original Xbox purely for FPS but the 360 has a great game selection If I had to choose one I would have to stick with the 360. If sony were to lower the price maybe more people would be inclined to buy a second system or buy a PS3 first since most games are multiplatform and some games on the 360 suck like fighting game that use a d-pad.

_Area51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 _Area51
Member since 2003 • 219 Posts
[QUOTE="_Area51"]

Teefy-London

You say that as if the PSN is not just as crowded with effing retards already. Ever been in HOME? Or any game where people are actually using mics?

smithster118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 smithster118
[QUOTE="Teefy-London"][QUOTE="_Area51"]

_Area51

You say that as if the PSN is not just as crowded with effing retards already. Ever been in HOME? Or any game where people are actually using mics?

Good point but we don't want EVEN MORE retards

chugachea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chugachea
Member since 2008 • 736 Posts

I really couldnt care less what they put the price at, but it would be really stupid to do that, because from what i've heard, they're already losing money each console. And it wouldnt really help them sell that many more consoles, considering it would still be priciest console on the market.

siefier25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 siefier25
Member since 2007 • 361 Posts

If they do a price cut, more people would be inclined to buy the system.

Right now with PS3 being the price that is, they are killing themselves. With the economy in this state of utter ****, no one will buy the console with Wii and 360 at affordable prices. In other words, it would be bad on there part if they didn't cut the price. They know it. We know it. It has to be done.

smithster118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 smithster118

Right now with PS3 being the price that is, they are killing themselves. With the economy in this state of utter ****, no one will buy the console with Wii and 360 at affordable prices. In other words, it would be bad on there part if they didn't cut the price. They know it. We know it. It has to be done.

siefier25

Exactly, it's a bad economy. Why would Sony put prices down when there already losing money on each console at the moment?

siefier25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 siefier25
Member since 2007 • 361 Posts
[QUOTE="siefier25"]

smithster118

Exactly, it's a bad economy. Why would Sony put prices down when there already losing money on each console at the moment?

If you read my post, you'd see that I said more people would by the system if it was cheaper.

I work in retail, and when I discuss games with people they always say "If only it was cheaper." Typically they just go and buy a blu ray & a 360/Wii. Its almost cheaper that way.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

They probably will drop the price again, they were selling on par with 360 before the holiday season so they aren't going to miss out on the opportunity again.

The problem is no one knows about the Sony exclusive titles that are out because the system was too expensive in year one. You always see games like Fallout 3 and other multiplat games getting a sneak peak on television and never any Sony exclusives. Even when Sony has commercials for their games, the game is barely even shown like Resistance 2 and Motorstorm and so on. Sony refuses to advertise correctly. They had a cool thing at the end of 07 showing Ratchet and Uncharted with Heavenly Sword and so on. They need to come out early and advertise the games of 09 and put GOW 3, WKC, and every other exclusive they have this year as well as big multiplats.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I really doubt the situation is as dire as everyone thinks, I don't think Sony are losing much money on the console now. There's already been a bunch of rumours recently about a price cut in March/April, 1 of those rumours saying we will see a $300 Slim model around Easter.
kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 kcwsk8
Member since 2008 • 3585 Posts
I dont want to see a price cut because i already bought mine, so if it was cut, I lost money.:( Plus people need to realize the price for PS3 is right for what all it does.
rahul_batta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rahul_batta
Member since 2004 • 1363 Posts
Honestly, I rather see them make an even cheaper model. Maybe a 20GB, with no wi-fi, so u need to plug in to get net, less usb jacks, just base of the line for all the casual gamers... Considering they sell blue ray itself at the PS3's price u might as well get a PS3.... I bet u if they made a base of the line model it would cost them less and make more money. As far as it is 400+ dollars, when the guy is making like 50 bucks an hour, and then you need to get the parts and everything its very easy to have each system costing you close to 800-1000 bucks.... Atleast that is my guess.... Finally if the PS3 wants to excel, they need to find a way to sell their games.... Uncharted just broke 1 million in North America, they need more of those kind of numbers.... I find that PS3 consumers are very conservative and that might have a great deal to do with the price of the games they wish to purchase....
taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts
price cuts always happen, the question is when? Sony has it all planned... maybe by the end of this year or make something like what Microsoft did with their Xbox 360 Arcade. but the PS3 isn't as old as other systems to have serious price cuts.
cronew1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cronew1
Member since 2004 • 494 Posts

Honestly, I rather see them make an even cheaper model. Maybe a 20GB, with no wi-fi, so u need to plug in to get net, less usb jacks, just base of the line for all the casual gamers... Considering they sell blue ray itself at the PS3's price u might as well get a PS3.... I bet u if they made a base of the line model it would cost them less and make more money. As far as it is 400+ dollars, when the guy is making like 50 bucks an hour, and then you need to get the parts and everything its very easy to have each system costing you close to 800-1000 bucks.... Atleast that is my guess.... Finally if the PS3 wants to excel, they need to find a way to sell their games.... Uncharted just broke 1 million in North America, they need more of those kind of numbers.... I find that PS3 consumers are very conservative and that might have a great deal to do with the price of the games they wish to purchase.... rahul_batta

I don't consider myself a casual gamer but I would have got a 20gb non wifi PS3 with less ports, If it still had backwards compatibility, Instead of the mteal gear bundle I bought.

Puscifer_No1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Puscifer_No1
Member since 2006 • 2769 Posts
Agreed. Also this is just adding to the negativity I read day in and day out about "how poorly the PS3 is doing". If you have one, why worry?! Why ask about a price cut if you already own the system? They will make a price cut, get over it. And I also agree that I doubt Sony are losing money on each console sold, they don't just make their money off the system alone :P
Puscifer_No1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Puscifer_No1
Member since 2006 • 2769 Posts
price cuts always happen, the question is when? Sony has it all planned... maybe by the end of this year or make something like what Microsoft did with their Xbox 360 Arcade. but the PS3 isn't as old as other systems to have serious price cuts.taplok
I read somwhere it was to be mid-2009 BUT you never know
im2cool123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 im2cool123
Member since 2008 • 143 Posts
i agree, it cost 500+ dollars to make the 400 dollar ps3, they are losing everything
laptop12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 laptop12
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts
why, i already owned a ps3 ...
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

If you have one, why worry?! Why ask about a price cut if you already own the system? They will make a price cut, get over it.

Exactly.. This^!
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

The only reason topics like this are made is because people fear the system will end up like dreamcast and so they want the PS3 to do well so that they didn't waste their money. If the PS3 was doing that bad, it would have already gone down hill already and would start losing support from developers, but it has only increased. It is true that it doesn't sell like the other systems, but it does well enough for the system to continue. 20 milllion or so isn't that bad for being out 2 years. The GC was out a full 5 and it only sold 22 mil,The original Xbox was considered a success and it only sold 24 mil, so how is PS3 a failure? None of them have failed. The other 2 are just more successful than the PS3. If the PS3 only sold like 5 million units like it did last year, then I would say yes the PS3 failed It has been 2 years and has only sold 10 million units.

The PS3 has quite a few games that have sold over a million copies like LBP, Resistance 1 and 2, Motorstorm 1, COD 4, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Assassins Creed, Fallout 3, DMC 4, GTA 4, MGS 4, GT5 prologue. If someone can explain how sony have failed. In terms of from last generation to this one, sure but the only ones making money no matter what is nintendo. That is only because everybody wants it and then once they have it they play it the 9 games it has and then it sits there.

The top selling games on the set are still Wii Sports and Wii Play as well as the rest of the Wii something or other in the title games. Other than the Mario games, nothing has really sold extremely well. I would say they each system has it's own failures and successes this generation.

camerun370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 camerun370
Member since 2008 • 97 Posts
No , itll end up being an online community worse than the 360's if it carries on getting cheaper
Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#40 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts
[QUOTE="smithster118"]

Me personally, I don't

Wuflungdung
I still find it very hard to believe they are loosing anything on the console. There is no way it costs +$400 like the rumours says.they make in way too many for it to be true. I can believe thats how much a single unit would cost to make, but the make millions of consoles.

ya they losin 49 bucks each ps3
wpgteggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wpgteggy
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
This is a pointless thread, and if Sony was really losing money on PS3's, then they wouldn't be producing them!
ShadowBass989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 ShadowBass989
Member since 2004 • 1734 Posts
no they r losing money now, if they sell it for less, then yeah u know. but stupid crybabys keep whining about it, and the media is sucker punching them left and right, so there will prolly be a price drop. then after that, the media will find something else to use to hit them below the belt with because the wii and 360 r just so flipping perfect (in their eyes). the ps3 is well worth what it is, but is sad many people dont see that.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
no i just bought the thing
KidKupo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#44 KidKupo
Member since 2008 • 279 Posts
[QUOTE="smithster118"]

Me personally, I don't

Wuflungdung

Each PS3 probably costs them about $100.00 in parts and labor. No way they are losing any money now. Not even close. The development and research and production of the PS3 system itself including its OS and features, probably was several millions. But they made up those expenses in the first hour of sales I'm sure.

I remember some idiot tried telling me they are losing money because "they have to buy the bluray players which cost $300.00 alone!!1", which is one of the stupidest things I ever heard. As if Sony goes into a best buy and pays retail prices for technology THEY created.

http://ebay.com, buy some commonsense.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
You have a PS3 = You don't care or you don't want it to change. You don't have a PS3 = You want a price cut.
stygiansanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 stygiansanity
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

I find it quite hilarious that the CONSUMERS are looking out for the company... I mean seriously? As a consumer you should want the lowest price possible, why would you try to keep the price as high as it is? You guys are worrying about Sony's wallet, but meanwhile your wallet is the one taking the hit - not to mention the social aspect of people on the PSN due to the high price.

If Sony lowered the price it'd help the consumers - more people would buy the PS3 meaning more people to play online with and chat with and overall a larger, better community, but instead here you guys are saying that you are worried about Sony's profit and losses? Lol...

MURDA_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MURDA_B
Member since 2008 • 2879 Posts
No, Cause as ive said before it will mean Sony charging for use tha PSNl.Teefy-London
read my mine
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

I was wondering that too. The current rumor is sometime in March

codalloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#49 codalloo
Member since 2006 • 892 Posts
A price cut wouldn't affect me seeing as I already have my PS3, but a price cut really shouldn't be an issue, I mean Sony doesn't need to, it's not THAT expensive considering what your getting, if people don't want one because of the price then that's their loss.
Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts
i don't care cause i already have a 20GB and 60GB system. 2 best systems ever made :P