Do you mind playing as a female?

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DiamondSlicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1 DiamondSlicer
Member since 2009 • 206 Posts

Let's find this out once and for all, shall we? The site has been spammed with gender-related issues lately. Feminist this, feminist that, but is it really? Aren't things being blown out of porportion? I think some of these people are bashing females in general by labeling everything revolving around something that has to do with females and games feminist.

Share your thoughts on this.

BigBangTheory_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 BigBangTheory_
Member since 2013 • 181 Posts
I dont mind and I dont see any reason why it should bother me.. I dont think there are so many little kids in the site that it really bugs them =\ it's stupid really
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Don't care. The main character isn't what makes the game fun.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts
Doesnt matter to me.
Mrod1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Mrod1212
Member since 2009 • 1165 Posts

No.

SNESMaster420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SNESMaster420
Member since 2006 • 1358 Posts

No. Idc at all. This generation I loved Bayonetta, Heavenly Sword, Lollipop Chainsaw, and I just finished the Tomb Raider reboot last night and Lara Croft was super cool. Not to mention Jill Valentine, Claire Redfield, the girl from Silent Hill 3, and countless females from fighting games now and past. I like female leads alot actually.

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

My main concern is that the main character is an interesting character. Gender is irrelevant.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I prefer playing as a male but I wont pass a good game only because the lead is a female. I still enjoy it, but sure dont feel as immersed as I would if I was playing as a male

GamerChick2083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GamerChick2083
Member since 2010 • 481 Posts

Never really mattered much to me.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

I just returned from picking up PDZ on that other console, so.... nope. I also own Wet, Bayonetta, Heavenly Sword, Kameo and Metroid. Plan on picking up Beyond:TS, TR and Mirror's Edge by years end. Not to mention all the rpgs out there. I make several characters of both sexes when I go through them.

Make a game worth playing. I don't care what sex/race/sexual orientation they are, just make it good.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

My main concern is that the main character is an interesting character. Gender is irrelevant.

Lost-to-Apathy

This

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

As long as the character is believable relating to the game's plot. I hate playing characters, male or female, that were made just to say "hey, look at what we're doing!".

DiamondSlicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DiamondSlicer

And what do you guys think about a female being a warrior type of character? So a woman who kicks serious ass without using weapons.

BigBangTheory_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BigBangTheory_
Member since 2013 • 181 Posts

And what do you guys think about a female being a warrior type of character? So a woman who kicks serious ass without using weapons.

DiamondSlicer

Why not?

Avatar image for Ace_of_Spades90
Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ace_of_Spades90
Member since 2012 • 815 Posts

Honestly, I don't really care. Like some people have said above me: gender is irrelevant. As long as said character is interesting then I'm happy.

That said, I do feel as though female characters are gradually being shown that they can, in fact, hang with the guys without resorting to taking off their clothes. You have girls like Lara Croft who are kicking butt and saving people, all without having their gender thrown in your face.

DiamondSlicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DiamondSlicer

Honestly, I don't really care. Like some people have said above me: gender is irrelevant. As long as said character is interesting then I'm happy.

That said, I do feel as though female characters are gradually being shown that they can, in fact, hang with the guys without resorting to taking off their clothes. You have girls like Lara Croft who are kicking butt and saving people, all without having their gender thrown in your face.

Ace_of_Spades90

Yes, and I think that needs to happen more often. It's refreshing to see an average woman for once, appearance-wise, and not in bikini chainmails or skimpy leather outfits. While it might still be fun time to time, I think it's time to change in that regard and for the gaming community to mature.

XereoWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 XereoWarrior
Member since 2012 • 135 Posts
No, as long as the game is good. Mirror's Edge & Bayonetta were two examples of this that were amazing games. They could have had male lead characters and it would have made no difference to me.
Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts

DiamondSlicer
Oh, man, busting dudes skulls with the climbing tool in Tomb Raider made Lara look like such a badass. I would definitely enjoy seeing more stuff like that. I also prefer my female warriors to actually be dressed like warriors, like Aveline in Dragon Age 2. Her breastplate actually covered her breasts. lol.
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

While it might still be fun time to time, I think it's time to change in that regard and for the gaming community to mature.

DiamondSlicer

Is that you David Cage? All jokes aside, you're right. In time, hopefully it will.

xGamePlayerx19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 xGamePlayerx19
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts

Never really minded it, because I usually care more if the character in general is interesting and gender dosent really effect that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

[QUOTE="Ace_of_Spades90"]

DiamondSlicer

Yes, and I think that needs to happen more often. It's refreshing to see an average woman for once, appearance-wise, and not in bikini chainmails or skimpy leather outfits. While it might still be fun time to time, I think it's time to change in that regard and for the gaming community to mature.

Lara Croft? Average? 0_o

I dont know where you live but I want to live there

The new Lara is still the stereotypical hot chick. Dont fool yourself. There is even one cinematic that clearly shows a shot of her cleavage.

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
I'd rather not. If I have to, fine then.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11790 Posts

As long as the story/lore/setting/theme etc is cohesive then I don't care. Could care less if they are attractive either. (Male or Female)

The main thing is a great game.  Parasite Eve wouldn't have been the same with a male lead, as example.

Even in games where you have the option to choose, or create one, I do just for sheer difference everynow & then.  

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

I don't get hung up on gender (USUALLY). If the game is good and the main character is interesting then I'll like it.

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrSelf-Destruct

[QUOTE="DiamondSlicer"]

[QUOTE="Ace_of_Spades90"]

Vatusus

Lara Croft? Average? 0_o

I dont know where you live but I want to live there

The new Lara is still the stereotypical hot chick. Dont fool yourself. There is even one cinematic that clearly shows a shot of her cleavage.

Sure, she's still super attractive, but she still has average measurements. Compared to Maranda Lawson, or her former self for that matter, new Lara was fairly plain. :P
Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

I dont think gamers in general care about the characters gender, however considering how the gaming audience has matured. It would be appropriate if we see an increase in ratio of  characters of different gender, ethnicity, beliefs, habbits n etc. Things that as a whole make a character unique. I felt Conor from AC3 had a sense of culture being half native american but Ubisoft didnt develop him as a person itself, making him all angry 90% of the time was just a no-no

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Doesn't matter to me - as long as the game is good. I would actually love to see more female protagonists take role.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

No, why would I?

I just returned from picking up PDZ on that other console, so.... nope. I also own Wet, Bayonetta, Heavenly Sword, Kameo and Metroid. Plan on picking up Beyond:TS, TR and Mirror's Edge by years end.Namgis

Mirror's Edge is a great game. Shame it seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#29 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Not at all as long as the character has some character development and they are in a good game. I mean look at female leads.

Samus:Metroid Series

Jill Valentine and Claire Redfield: RE series

Bayonetta:Bayonetta

Jade from Beyond Good and Evil

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider

Also can I point out I perferred playing as a female Commander Shepard in Mass Effect.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

No, I sometimes choose to play as a female for various reasons.

In Fire Emblem I chose to roleplay Saber from Fate/Zero as my tactician, quite cool.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#31 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I don't care. I don't see why anyone would care. Then again, I guess there's a reason they keep making generic manly protagonist in popular games...
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

It depends.  If I am playing an MMO, or some sort of game where I make my own personalized character, then I really only want to play as a male and make a character that I think kind of reflects me.

If I am playing some offline game with a story, I don't mind controlling a female protagonist.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

No, why would I?

[QUOTE="Namgis"]

I just returned from picking up PDZ on that other console, so.... nope. I also own Wet, Bayonetta, Heavenly Sword, Kameo and Metroid. Plan on picking up Beyond:TS, TR and Mirror's Edge by years end.worlock77

Mirror's Edge is a great game. Shame it seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle.

When it came out, I remember I was excited for it but a lot of other people seemed really disinterested in the game for some reason. I played it and enjoyed it for a bit, but found better games. I don't really know why it wasn't more highly-acclaimed, though. Perhaps it just came out at the wrong time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

I don't get hung up on gender (USUALLY). If the game is good and the main character is interesting then I'll like it.

Lucky_Krystal
Lol, coincidentally you have the male and female Laharl in your sig. I'm excited about Disgaea D2, but I'm hoping they don't make things too weird with the whole female Laharl thing.
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
Not at all. Some of my favorite games this gen feature female lead characters such as Bayonetta, Tomb Raider, and FFXIII/XIII-2. Very much looking forward to Remember Me as well which is another game with a female lead. I also tend to gravitate towards female characters in fighting games for some reason. I even played about half of Persona 3 Portable as the female main character before it got swallowed up in the numerous other games I was playing. Gender isn't important to me as long as I find the character interesting in some way or another. I've had numerous avatars on this site related to female game characters so I don't shy away from gender at all. Again, if I like the character that's really all that matters.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i dont "mind" but find it totally unneccesary to play as a female.
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9590 Posts

In games like tomb raider and other games where the main character is female I really don't care. However, why a guy would want a female character in an mmo or something like that is a little beyond me. To each their own, but when I have an option I pick a male character. Also, if there is a face and hair editor I tend to make my character look as much like me as possible.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

In games like tomb raider and other games where the main character is female I really don't care. However, why a guy would want a female character in an mmo or something like that is a little beyond me. To each their own, but when I have an option I pick a male character. Also, if there is a face and hair editor I tend to make my character look as much like me as possible.

WitIsWisdom

I've never enjoyed trying to roleplay as myself. I either roleplay a character from something else or I just create one and try to give him/her his own personality/past.

Even in Legend of Zelda and Pokemon games I always name the character Link and Ash (respectively).

Ardazu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 Ardazu
Member since 2004 • 485 Posts

Well I really don't mind playing any game with a female character as long as the game itself doesn't offer me any choice such as Tomb Raider, Perfect Dark Zero, Beyond Good and Evil or such.  However, if I am able to choose or create any character, I don't see any reason to go with a female one.  I guess since I am male, I relate the decision making a lot easier during the game with a male protagonist.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#40 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No it doesn't matter as long as the game is good.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#41 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I could care less if it's in context. I'm really enjoying Tomb Raider. Amazing game and it has a female lead character.
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

Nope.  Not one bit.  In fact, I'd like to have more female leads in games.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#43 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Matters not one bit...

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Prefer it. Who wants to look at a DUDE'S backside as he runs? I make (properly propotioned, mind you, not Lara Croft) females whenever I have the option of playing as a guy or a chick. "Saint's Row 2" was the last game I did that with, I believe... Redhead.

:D

Guys who make playercards with erections on CoD, guys who need to play as guys ONLY... I think, at the very least there's a confidence issue, and possibly something latently homosexual behind it. Nothing whatsoever wrong with being Gay I know lots of Gay people who are better-adjusted than most of my hetro friends...But if you claim to dig chicks, while ignoring them or feeling they're somehow inferior, then you have deep blockages.

Now, lots of guys are sitting there and raging, they want to point out that it's actually ME who has some feminine latency issues, because the veiny male genitals they've so painstakingly reproduced on their player cards on CoD are simply a celebration of their strength as a MAN -

... I say, I've always been a lesbian trapped in a man's body, and you've still got a throbbin' bone representing you.

Who's the real hard-on, with a problem, here?

:lol:

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MrSelf-Destruct
Who wants to look at a DUDE'S backside as he runs? MonkeySpot
Hey, what's wrong with that?? [spoiler]  :P [/spoiler]
DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 DaRq_MiNoS
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

Usually when I create my character in RPGs I try to create a sexy female so I have something nice to look at for the duration of the game.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#47 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
nope, i don't mind at all
withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

Doesn't really bother me. Some of my best games have had strong female leads in them.

Nariko from Heavenly Sword
Jill from Resident Evil
Bayonetta
Jade from beyond Good and evil
and more recently Lara Croft from Tomb raider.

A great video game story makes gender a mute point. it's all about the journey not the sex.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#49 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I don't mind it at all.

Avatar image for TheWestCoastDon
TheWestCoastDon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 TheWestCoastDon
Member since 2006 • 387 Posts

I'm all for it. I actually prefer playing as a female in games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect (I adore my femshep :)). Â