DNS error 8041040F

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dragon247uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 dragon247uk
Member since 2006 • 220 Posts

I have tried countless times since christmas to get my psp online. The first time I tried it kept on coming up that the IP had timed out. Finally I switched to the manual IP setting and entered the IP and DNS addresses correctly. This time the error 8041040F came up. I phoned the PSP technical support and explained my problem. They said I should contact my internet provider (aol) to recieve the correct DNS address so I did. They told me to use the cmd IPCONFIG/ALL in the command box, my settings came up and I compared them with those on my PSP's internet settings. All were correct. I have also contacted my routers manufacturers, Netgear, about the problem. They told me to contact PSP again so I did so. They then told me to contact AOL..... again. Below are my router settings.

Connection Name: Connection 1

WLAN Security Setting: WEP

Address Settings: Custom

IP Address Setting: Manual

IP Address: 192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Router: 192.168.0.1

Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1

Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0

Proxy: Do Not Use

Internet Browser: Do Not Start

It also comes up on the test results that the internet connection failed. Can anyone please help me?

V_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 V_V
Member since 2003 • 221 Posts
Your psp can't have the same IP as your router :S, make it like XXX.XXX.XXX.2 or something thats not 1 and make sure thats the right DNS. Oh and your PSP ip can't be the same as any computers you have on the same network either, otherwise you'll get problems
kimbokasteniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 kimbokasteniv
Member since 2004 • 3892 Posts
Also note, that there is a high chance that the address you have currently for DNS is not valid. Try this free DNS server intsead: 208.67.222.222
dragon247uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dragon247uk

Your psp can't have the same IP as your router :S, make it like XXX.XXX.XXX.2 or something thats not 1 and make sure thats the right DNS. Oh and your PSP ip can't be the same as any computers you have on the same network either, otherwise you'll get problems
V_V

I tried to alter my IP address to what you suggested and altered my DNS to what the other post said. Again I get the message that my internet connection had failed.

V_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 V_V
Member since 2003 • 221 Posts
Then maybe that's not your routers ip? go to your computer and type in that ip and if it doesn't come up with a password box then it's not your routers ip and you can reset the router on the back of the router somewhere and then try it again. Also you said that the psp won't connect if you just scan and then do auto?
fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts
Try resetting the PSP System Settings to Default.  The recreate a wireless connection using the default options.  I had connect problems too until I did this.
dragon247uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dragon247uk
Other threads regarding this matter said that there is a PSP conflict with the WEP password. Is this true?
nexusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nexusprime
Member since 2004 • 877 Posts
an alternative would be to try the Thrustmaster Wifi key
kimbokasteniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 kimbokasteniv
Member since 2004 • 3892 Posts
Other threads regarding this matter said that there is a PSP conflict with the WEP password. Is this true?dragon247uk
Well assuming you are using the correct password this should not be a problem. But if you haven't already, give Fynne's suggestion a shot, it appears to have worked for other people before.
dragon247uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dragon247uk

Also note, that there is a high chance that the address you have currently for DNS is not valid. Try this free DNS server intsead: 208.67.222.222kimbokasteniv

I tried the DNS but still got the same error. It was typed in correct.

OmegaDark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 OmegaDark
Member since 2003 • 800 Posts
If you have a wireless router, reboot it. I had the same problems a few times, and rebooting the router seemed to help. If that doesn't work, unplug the modem, unplug the router, and wait about 10 seconds. Then plug in the modem, then when all the lights are back on, plug in the router. Create a new connection of your PSP, and let it automatically find the IP address.