Did PS2 start out like PS3?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

magikmark84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 magikmark84
Member since 2005 • 479 Posts
Hi guys, i was wondering. did PS2 get bad remarks from the press & gaming websites to make it seem like a bad system like "some sites" are doing now ?
libthegod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 libthegod
Member since 2006 • 1517 Posts
Even worse, I think.
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
Yes it did and after while there were so many people eating there words.
NickinAround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NickinAround
Member since 2003 • 3430 Posts
Not true at all, Sony was more akin to 360 this generation. It had no competition for it's first year.
Jonnyd108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jonnyd108
Member since 2005 • 286 Posts
It was sold out for a while i remember. It got HUGE one GTA3 came out though
coolguy681

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 coolguy681
Member since 2006 • 1353 Posts
GTA 3 stapled the PS2 as the must buy system in October of 2001 a year after the PS2's release.
360player_eq12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 360player_eq12
Member since 2006 • 2214 Posts

the ps2 did not start like the ps3....well maybe it did with the lack of consoles but i think the ps3 will kill the 360 just like it killed the dreamcast even tho the dreamcast is more reliable then a F***ing 360 seeing as mine just went to S*** with the 3 red lights last night wtf MS.

gizmo_logix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gizmo_logix
Member since 2005 • 4224 Posts
Hi guys, i was wondering. did PS2 get bad remarks from the press & gaming websites to make it seem like a bad system like "some sites" are doing now ?magikmark84
Read this... Don't buy that PlayStation(2) -- Oct. 27, 2000
blitzinger123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blitzinger123
Member since 2005 • 2370 Posts
I read somewhere (sorry no link, if you dont believe me you can spend your own time on google) that PS3 is selling faster than PS2 did when it first launched.
EliasAlucard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 EliasAlucard
Member since 2003 • 736 Posts

Hi guys, i was wondering. did PS2 get bad remarks from the press & gaming websites to make it seem like a bad system like "some sites" are doing now ?magikmark84

Yes. In fact:

http://archive.salon.com/tech/log/2000/10/27/playstation_rant/index.html

Edit:
Damn, gizmo_logix beat me to it :)

namcoman67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 namcoman67
Member since 2003 • 633 Posts
i know that most of the PS2 games sucked at launch i bought The Bouncer along with the PS2 and The Bouncer was a great looking game at the time but it wasnt that fun. it was Genji 2 of back than. i did enjoy Tekken Tag alot though. most of the great games didnt come out until 2001. When Metal Gear Solid came out for the PS2 thats when i saw alot of people buying the PS2.
gizmo_logix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gizmo_logix
Member since 2005 • 4224 Posts

[QUOTE="magikmark84"]Hi guys, i was wondering. did PS2 get bad remarks from the press & gaming websites to make it seem like a bad system like "some sites" are doing now ?EliasAlucard

Yes. In fact:

http://archive.salon.com/tech/log/2000/10/27/playstation_rant/index.html

Edit:
Damn, gizmo_logix beat me to it :)

Click link... Message for EllasAlucard... ;)
Avatar image for XPrivateRyan22X
XPrivateRyan22X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 XPrivateRyan22X
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

I can remember things being much better. Just because their weren't those childish xbox fanboys who always say there system is the best.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Yup, the Playstation 2 was getting blasted when it first came out. Critics were saying there would be no decent games on it for a long time, haha, they sure were kicking themselves to bed every night after the first year.
sm0ke311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sm0ke311
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts
who cares what brainless people say about ps3. theyall sounds like thay are jaleous or someting thats not normal.
eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

Someone mentioned that the ps2 launched with no competition but it actually lauched a year after the dreamcast. It didnt sell well at 1st because of supply issues and lack of software. It got a moderate boost when Zone of Enders released (the 1st game that supposedly used the PS2 hardware in a meaningfull way). The DC had about 2.5mil units sold as of PS2 launch (read that somewhere in IGN long ago shortly after the PS2 launch. And much like some retail associates treat the PS3, costomers were told not to purchase a DC and to hold out for a PS2.

I worked in toy r us at the time and was the only person in the store pushing the dc (incidentally hardware we did have in stock shortly after PS2 launch [never understood why try to sell something that just isnt available]). What separates the PS3 (even with the similar launch and post launch numbers) is that the PS2 stayed in high demend dispte bad press. PS3 by no means is doing horrible like many claim, its still pushing units out without any significant title on the shelves at a fairly large price point.

protek_0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 protek_0813
Member since 2004 • 197 Posts

[QUOTE="magikmark84"]Hi guys, i was wondering. did PS2 get bad remarks from the press & gaming websites to make it seem like a bad system like "some sites" are doing now ?gizmo_logix

I bet this guy is eating his own words.

Pablo620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Pablo620
Member since 2004 • 4980 Posts

[QUOTE="magikmark84"]Hi guys, i was wondering. did PS2 get bad remarks from the press & gaming websites to make it seem like a bad system like "some sites" are doing now ?gizmo_logix

LMAO change PS2 to PS3, Dreamcast to 360, and the date of the article and for the first few paragraphs no one would know it was written 7 years ago.

Pablo620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pablo620
Member since 2004 • 4980 Posts

Not true at all, Sony was more akin to 360 this generation. It had no competition for it's first year.NickinAround

PS2 wasnt out first. The Dreamcast was the competition

nietzscheyay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nietzscheyay
Member since 2005 • 96 Posts

The PS2 sold about 2 million consoles in its first year. The PS3 has sold about 3.6 million consoles as of April.

The PS2 started off with brisk sales and by the third year was outselling all other consoles on the market. The PS3 has brisk sales at the moment.

The PS3 has outsold the 360 in comparison to its time on the market.

It's pretty easy to find these sales figures between google & wikipedia.

dru26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dru26
Member since 2005 • 5505 Posts
As far as I remember it didn't get any bad press. The games like Oni, Fantavision, and that Samurai game were getting bad reviews, which imo were well deserved. The ps2 sold like hotcakes, and was a major success following it's predecessor. Then 01 hit, and we had MGS, GTA and FFX.
Brent330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Brent330
Member since 2005 • 120 Posts
No I remember trying to find the PS 2 and it was sold out for a while...
High_Contrast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 High_Contrast
Member since 2007 • 146 Posts

The PS2 was sold out especially as in the UK it came in time for xmas. However afterwards I was able to pick mine up quite easily Feb 2001.

All I remember was I had to wait ages for the big names. I remember GT3 and MGS2 getting put back so it was a similar situation to the PS3 situation today.

My launch games were Tekken Tag and SSX.

The PS2 in the UK was also £299 which was a lot of money in those days.

People were also saying that DVD was not worth having and shops were bundling the dreamcast with a dvd player at the same price as the PS2.

The main difference is that Microsoft is a monster compared to Sega.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
The PS1 launched for $299 with a CDrom and the PS2 launched for $299 with a DVD drive. I don't understand why anyone would complain since they both launched at the same price. The PS2 did one million in Japan during the first weekend...not sure if that was broken by Wii.
bobby1690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bobby1690
Member since 2006 • 335 Posts

good find
Army_Veteran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Army_Veteran
Member since 2006 • 1201 Posts

I don't remember anything bad about it, it was really hard for me to get one. When I was stationed in Hawaii i couldn't find one until May 2001. And I had a Dream cast then, and the PS1 so the PS2 was no big deal. But when I got it it was like damn look at those graphics.

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts
thanks for the good read gizmo. i never knew the ps2 started so badly it seems like history is repeating itself
SmoothBrother1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SmoothBrother1
Member since 2003 • 1078 Posts

[QUOTE="gizmo_logix"][QUOTE="magikmark84"]Hi guys, i was wondering. did PS2 get bad remarks from the press & gaming websites to make it seem like a bad system like "some sites" are doing now ?Pablo620

LMAO change PS2 to PS3, Dreamcast to 360, and the date of the article and for the first few paragraphs no one would know it was written 7 years ago.

People would know that it was 7 years ago because microsoft is not Sega. Everything that sega did wrong, microsoft is doing right, Microsoft is making sure that there console has a future to look foward too, sega didn't do that. Sega lost almost all it's third party support to sony because sony had a long term vision that they couldn't pass up. So they all jumped on the bandwagon and went to sony. So sony beat sega by taking all there support away from them. Do you see that happening with microsoft? No you don't, they are gaining more and more support as time goes on, so dont' be so quick to replace the dreamcast with the 360 quite yet, this is still early in the console battle, and right now, sony is on the ropes and not making there consumers happy, not microsoft.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
If I recall PS2 actually started out worse then PS3 but the difference is that when PS2 first launched it hardly had any competition so it didn't matter that PS2 started of bad. Its quite the opposite with PS3 because it started of ok but it wasn't enough since the competition was high. PS3 still managed to have a betterlaunch then PS2, PS1 also 360 even with heavy competition.
soulsdeparting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 soulsdeparting
Member since 2006 • 1537 Posts
yes. its just that the industry is larger now, and the only reason the wii is selling faster is because its nopt only gamers, but grandmas buying it as well. the 360 is doing better bc its been out for a year and a half and has a better library as of right now. maybe.
Pirate_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pirate_X
Member since 2005 • 168 Posts
GTA was one of the reasons why ps2 started to sell so much. I guess it was revolutionary or something. But most "good" games heading for PS3 now are also heading for 360. Eventually the sales of ps3 will increase yes. But there is nothing revolutionary heading towards the PS3 right now. So will sales actually jump drastically? That goes same for 360.
MGS4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MGS4eva
Member since 2007 • 120 Posts
PS3 is selling faster than PS1 & PS2. So you guys better move over because when PS3 price gets to drop,developers figure out how to work the cell and PS3 have games it will sell even faster.
-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#36 -oG-ShAdY
Member since 2006 • 1385 Posts
[QUOTE="Pablo620"]

[QUOTE="gizmo_logix"][QUOTE="magikmark84"]Hi guys, i was wondering. did PS2 get bad remarks from the press & gaming websites to make it seem like a bad system like "some sites" are doing now ?SmoothBrother1

People would know that it was 7 years ago because microsoft is not Sega. Everything that sega did wrong, microsoft is doing right, Microsoft is making sure that there console has a future to look foward too, sega didn't do that. Sega lost almost all it's third party support to sony because sony had a long term vision that they couldn't pass up. So they all jumped on the bandwagon and went to sony. So sony beat sega by taking all there support away from them. Do you see that happening with microsoft? No you don't, they are gaining more and more support as time goes on, so dont' be so quick to replace the dreamcast with the 360 quite yet, this is still early in the console battle, and right now, sony is on the ropes and not making there consumers happy, not microsoft.

Are you kidding me? I've very happy with my PS3. I don't ever hear a PS3 only owner complaining about their PS3. They may make comments about no games but in no way does anyone ever say that Sony's PS3 isn't making us happy.

namcoman67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 namcoman67
another game i had on launch was Street Fighter EX3 it was fun but after awhile i got bored of it. didnt have the same feeling as the 2D street fighter games
Liquid-Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Liquid-Prince
Member since 2007 • 2277 Posts

Not true at all, Sony was more akin to 360 this generation. It had no competition for it's first year.NickinAround

Yes it did...DreamCast came out before PS2.

namcoman67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 namcoman67
360 disappointed me i thought it would have more features like WiFi and a browser considering it was made by microsoft and would be like a PC plus the game choices i dont like much. i need more choices than mostly shooters, racing and sports game. most of the other kinds of games suck on 360.
alzdaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 alzdaman
Member since 2004 • 110 Posts

I love my PS3, and it loves me.

What other system tucks you into bed at night?

What other system fluffs your pillow so you can shoot aliens and be comfortable?

I have a release PS1, release PS2, and a release PS3.

I must say, Playstation always followed its agenda and brought what it promised to us.

I say, ignore the competition and just play the damn games.

Maybe i'm just not very competitive when it comes to games :(

-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -oG-ShAdY

Just to make it easier on all those people who don't want to click the link here's what it said:

"Whether or not Sony was sincere in its claim that a supply crisis led it to cut its initial shipments of the PlayStation3 to just 500,000 units, there's little question that the corporation was successful in the arena of hype marketing. Lines of obsessed PlayStation fans were a news staple Wednesday. But is the so-called superconsole really worth staying up all night for?"

"No. The PS3 is not the revolutionary device that Sony's marketing department would have you believe. Don't get me wrong; it's definitely the most powerful video-game machine on the planet right now. But that's not enough."

"The PS3's stats are certainly impressive; it's got hardware power to burn. But so what? There's just not much software available that can take advantage of it. The games that are being released at the same time as the system don't rise much, if at all, above games available for Microsoft's rival (and cheaper)Xbox 360video-game system."

"And don't expect a huge number of quality games anytime soon. Sony has reversed positions withMicrosoft and stupidly released a system that is in many ways a game developer's nightmare. MS, learning from itsXbox debacle, went out of its way to make the360 easy to develop games for. But Sony, intoxicated with success from the PlayStation 2, forgot the first rule of the video-game industry: Software sells systems. If you make it hard for developers to produce good games then there's no reason for people to buy the system. This oversight has already cost Sony some goodwill -- developers are howling about how hard it is to create games for the system. In an interview with Time magazine, John Carmack, one of the developers behind such massively popular games as Doom and Quake, said that the 'PS3 is definitely more powerful than 360. But it's less convenient to extract performance from it.'"

You can read on from the original article but these are the sections that sound so familiar to today's talks about the PS3. In case you were wondering I switched out the names with PS3 and 360 just to make the transition easier to see. Isn't it wierd? It's almost like Sony has been here before and is ready for the challenge.

dewmandew7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dewmandew7
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts

Holy crap. You could just replace some of the words in that article and it would almostapply to this generation too. :P

SmoothBrother1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SmoothBrother1
[QUOTE="SmoothBrother1"][QUOTE="Pablo620"]

[QUOTE="gizmo_logix"][QUOTE="magikmark84"]Hi guys, i was wondering. did PS2 get bad remarks from the press & gaming websites to make it seem like a bad system like "some sites" are doing now ?-oG-ShAdY

Are you kidding me? I've very happy with my PS3. I don't ever hear a PS3 only owner complaining about their PS3. They may make comments about no games but in no way does anyone ever say that Sony's PS3 isn't making us happy.

I guess you don't ever read any of the post in here from unhappy PS3 owners about the lack of games huh. I"m sure there's thousands all over the world that feel the same way.

SmoothBrother1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SmoothBrother1

I love my PS3, and it loves me.

What other system tucks you into bed at night?

What other system fluffs your pillow so you can shoot aliens and be comfortable?

I have a release PS1, release PS2, and a release PS3.

I must say, Playstation always followed its agenda and brought what it promised to us.

I say, ignore the competition and just play the damn games.

Maybe i'm just not very competitive when it comes to games :(

alzdaman

wow, you need a girlfriend, I don't think sony is making a console to do all that.

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
Yeah the "hardcore" gaming community always hated it. It was hated for the same reasons PS3 is now just with PS2 vs. Dreamcast. Dreamcast had better visuals when PS2 came out, tons of great games, established online system, and was cheaper. Just like 360 is now to PS3. The difference now is people are a lot more connected and the PS3 hate has actually spread.
istayonfireboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 istayonfireboy
Member since 2007 • 600 Posts
it may not come in first but i see it kicking 360 to third place why. a console out fro 2 years and only sells 10 million and wii beens out for 6 months and already damn near over took the 360 pathetic ps3 is not going to have any problem taking the second spot
Insane00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Insane00
Member since 2003 • 1267 Posts

I must ask SmoothBrother1, why did all those people buy their ps3's? Seriously, it's not like the game release schedual has been kept secret, nor have all the good games been pushed back six months. Sony is doing exactly what it said it would do and realeasing games just as has been posted all over the web for at least a year now. If that many people are so unhappy with the lack of games, then I just have to think there are a lot of stupid people out there, cause only someone really dumb would buy a system (especially for 600 bucks) without doing any research as to when the games are coming out. So if your complaining, it really just proves your whiny and lacking in the IQ department.

And dude, I'm pretty sure alzdaman was joking. Did ya lose your sense of humor somewhere?

G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts

Even though I was young and not into this System wars thing looking back at it your actually wrong. There was the Dreamcast which was more in the 360 except MS has money so it won't be failing. The DC was cheaper, more games, easier to develop for and Online. The PS2 had like what a few good games, less sales, more expensive, DVD which no1 wanted or accepted at first, no Online and it was harder to develop for. The PS2 did start out like PS3, but aftera while the PS2 sales started to boost I expect this to happen with the PS3 as well. And yes the PS2 was also "losing exclusives".

EDIT: Oh yeah and everyone hated the PS2 as well both media and people and some were saying it was going to lose to the DC.

-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 -oG-ShAdY

I must ask SmoothBrother1, why did all those people buy their ps3's? Seriously, it's not like the game release schedual has been kept secret, nor have all the good games been pushed back six months. Sony is doing exactly what it said it would do and realeasing games just as has been posted all over the web for at least a year now. If that many people are so unhappy with the lack of games, then I just have to think there are a lot of stupid people out there, cause only someone really dumb would buy a system (especially for 600 bucks) without doing any research as to when the games are coming out. So if your complaining, it really just proves your whiny and lacking in the IQ department.

And dude, I'm pretty sure alzdaman was joking. Did ya lose your sense of humor somewhere?

Insane00

I totally agree with what you said. I waited until I knew the PS3 was near great title releases and then I bought it. It's pretty simple. And SmoothBrother1 when I was talking about people not complaining about it I was talking about people I actually talk to on my PS3, not these fake hate pushers that I see every day on here.