Did GameSpot's Mark Walton get MK review wrong with 8.5?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

I see a lot of gamespot reviews where they are appear off by quite a bit compared to user reviews. Black Ops got a 9.0 gamespot score and the overrall reviews of that game isn't near that. Right now, I am seeing 9.4 MK user score and I am seeing lot of praises for this game but this game scored 8.5 gamespot score which is exactly what marvel vs capcom 3, tekken 6, soul calibur IV got. The "PSM3 Magazine UK" gave it a 79 out of 100 which is a tad better than MK vs DC game (75 out of 100). Wow! There appears to be a pretty big gap between some online reviewers and the initial user reviews who appear to love the game.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Nah it is just one dudes opinion..
Homicide___

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Homicide___
Member since 2011 • 79 Posts
No he didn't get it wrong... It's his opinion... Anyway 8.5 is a very good score.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
The review was good. The score should have been a 9.0 given from the review.
imthebest6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 imthebest6
Member since 2006 • 1040 Posts

Whats wrong with an 8.5?

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
Not all the reviews are written by the same person. Personally, I agree with the review and the 8.5 rating. I mean, I like the game, but it's not something I'd give a 9.5 or even a 9.
Molecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Molecat
Member since 2010 • 90 Posts
I like the fact that GS is quite choosy with the higher scores. Gives them more value. All too often in Official PlayStation magazine, mediocre games get high review scores and it cheapens it for genuinely good games. When it comes to GS scores anything above a 7.5 I consider good and worth playing. The 9's and above are for truly epic games and certainly 8.5 is a great score. Have to agree, it's interesting how scores can vary across sites and ultimately it's one person's opinion.
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts
Holy crap! Oh noes, someone has a differing opinion!
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#9 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
So all reviewers must give the same score? :|
BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BH14

Holy crap! Oh noes, someone has a differing opinion!TheFallenDemon

Yea. Right now, he has a .9 lower "opinion" of the game compared to the user score. The reviewer should try his best to give it a score that is similar to what the majority of the users think and what it deserves. Sometimes I see games given a 1 point lower or higher score than what the majority of users think. Imagine if some reviewer says "I can give this game any score that I want because it is my opinion as he gives a game a 5 when everyone else gives it a 9?"... Maybe this reviewer is a role playing fan and doesn't care for fighting games but it was his "job" to simply review it. And you don't think there is anything wrong with some video game reviewer who gave MK game a 79 out of 100? "just his opinion right?"... A reviewer should be capable to review the game correctly and not use the "It's my opinion" excuse. The GameSpot reviewer for Tekken 6 gave it a 8.5 and after a few thousand user reviews, the user reviews came out to 8.5. I consider that hitting the nail on the head review. SSFIV review was also pretty accurate as well. Uncharted 2?! Bullseye score!

I think reviewers should be graded on how well they review and how close their score comes to the majority score. If this game gets thousands of user reviews and average user score goes over 9.0, I think that is a pretty big difference in score to his 8.5 score.

This is why I always prefer to look at the thousands of regular users than 1 gamespot reviewer.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BH14

So all reviewers must give the same score? :|spazzx625

Not the same score but the reviewer's goal should give a score that is pretty close to what the users think. I scratch my head when I see COD:Black Ops get 3 out of 5 stars on amazon with nearly 1,000 reviews, do a little better here with a 8.3 user score (nearly 5,000 user reviews) and then GameSpot review give the game 9.0 with "Editor's Choice Award"........ "just one person's opinion"... ehhh

risako9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 risako9
Member since 2011 • 840 Posts

round off 8.5 you get a 9! :D

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BH14

round off 8.5 you get a 9! :D

risako9

8.5 score just doesn't have that ring to it compared when you say "That is a 9 game". It is like a .295 hitter and a .300 hitter... We all know the 9 games to be real great and the 8.5 score fighting games are pretty much just a regular fighting game.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MethodManFTW
The user score should have absolutely nothing to do with critics scores... Look at portal 2s user reviews.. Full of zeros and tens. Not mention the reviewers have games weeks in advance and the people giving user reviews have only had the game for a day or two now.
BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BH14

The user score should have absolutely nothing to do with critics scores... Look at portal 2s user reviews.. Full of zeros and tens. Not mention the reviewers have games weeks in advance and the people giving user reviews have only had the game for a day or two now.MethodManFTW

The critic scores should have something to do with the user score because it is the critics that are giving us some idea how good or bad a game is. Critics and users should be around the same ballpark when it comes to reviewing the game. And I don't look at some individual user score who gave Portal 2 a 0. I'm looking at Portal 2 user score and it averages out to be 9.1 which is pretty close to 9.0 gamespot score. It is fair to say that Portal 2 is highly ranked... And the critic score so far is 9.4 which is impressive. The gamespot reviewer did a better job at reviewing this Portal 2 game than the gamespot reviewer who gave COD:Black Ops a 9 out of 10."It is his opinion".... but a highly overrated opinion it is.

The gamespot reviewer may have the game weeks in advance but that doesn't mean he was playing the game all the time. He could have played the game for 2 hours just to get a feel for the game or could have even played it for 15 mins for his article review. All the while some other user got the game, loved it and has been playing it for over 8 hours straight. I would take the opinion of thousand users to 1 single critic review but I also believe that all critics should know how to critique a game and give it a correct review that reflects what users are thinking about the game.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#16 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

8.5 is an excellent score. I'm loving MK so far but it has some problems that need to be ironed out.

Plus, you can't say he got the score wrong because you're comparing a critic review with user reviews on the first day, or as I call them "Day 1ers". Usually the most insanely biased reviews out there, not enough to give a proper comparison to.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MethodManFTW

The gamespot reviewer may have the game weeks in advance but that doesn't mean he was playing the game all the time. He could have played the game for 2 hours just to get a feel for the game or could have even played it for 15 mins for his article review. All the while some other user got the game, loved it and has been playing it for over 8 hours straight. I would take the opinion of thousand users to 1 single critic review but I also believe that all critics should know how to critique a game and give it a correct review that reflects what users are thinking about the game.BH14

No it doesn't mean they have been playing it 24/7 obviously, but they have time to reflect over the game. Not just play it for one session and post your gut reaction. And you shouldn't just read one review, the best course of action is to learn what specific critics like and dislikes about games in general by listening to podcasts, reading articles, watching videos etc.. Then read their reviews.

Plus, you can't say he got the score wrong because you're comparing a critic review with user reviews on the first day, or as I call them "Day 1ers". Usually the most insanely biased reviews out there, not enough to give a proper comparison to.IndianaPwns39

Yes.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Well most user reviews are EXTREMELY biased or have the "I don't like this game so I'm rating it a 1.0" attitude. So I personally think they are worse than the actual reviews. That said, I don't listen to any review, I just go with my gut. That's why they should get rid of the rating systems. It should just be the review and that's it. That way everyone can form their own opinion rather than looking at some numerical value and deciding from there.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
8.5 is a great score.... What the **** are you whining about?
xGho5tx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xGho5tx
Member since 2008 • 768 Posts
I have been seeing great scores all around. People shouldn't complain as they are just the reviewers opinion of the game. Play the game and judge for yourself.
shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]Holy crap! Oh noes, someone has a differing opinion!BH14

Yea. Right now, he has a .9 lower "opinion" of the game compared to the user score. The reviewer should try his best to give it a score that is similar to what the majority of the users think and what it deserves. Sometimes I see games given a 1 point lower or higher score than what the majority of users think. Imagine if some reviewer says "I can give this game any score that I want because it is my opinion as he gives a game a 5 when everyone else gives it a 9?"... Maybe this reviewer is a role playing fan and doesn't care for fighting games but it was his "job" to simply review it. And you don't think there is anything wrong with some video game reviewer who gave MK game a 79 out of 100? "just his opinion right?"... A reviewer should be capable to review the game correctly and not use the "It's my opinion" excuse. The GameSpot reviewer for Tekken 6 gave it a 8.5 and after a few thousand user reviews, the user reviews came out to 8.5. I consider that hitting the nail on the head review. SSFIV review was also pretty accurate as well. Uncharted 2?! Bullseye score!

I think reviewers should be graded on how well they review and how close their score comes to the majority score. If this game gets thousands of user reviews and average user score goes over 9.0, I think that is a pretty big difference in score to his 8.5 score.

This is why I always prefer to look at the thousands of regular users than 1 gamespot reviewer.

Most of the users scores are always biased even if you look at the total amount. I don't think a reviewers should be graded based on how close they should be to a user scores. Its still an opinon but most of the time reviewers arent' as baised since they actually look at details where as alot ofusers vote based on whenever or not if its an exclusive. IF you look at a few people on these fourms they give games like Halo Reach and xbox exclusives 0

PeelMyBanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PeelMyBanana
Member since 2011 • 255 Posts

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]The user score should have absolutely nothing to do with critics scores... Look at portal 2s user reviews.. Full of zeros and tens. Not mention the reviewers have games weeks in advance and the people giving user reviews have only had the game for a day or two now.BH14

The critic scores should have something to do with the user score because it is the critics that are giving us some idea how good or bad a game is. Critics and users should be around the same ballpark when it comes to reviewing the game. And I don't look at some individual user score who gave Portal 2 a 0. I'm looking at Portal 2 user score and it averages out to be 9.1 which is pretty close to 9.0 gamespot score. It is fair to say that Portal 2 is highly ranked... And the critic score so far is 9.4 which is impressive. The gamespot reviewer did a better job at reviewing this Portal 2 game than the gamespot reviewer who gave COD:Black Ops a 9 out of 10."It is his opinion".... but a highly overrated opinion it is.

The gamespot reviewer may have the game weeks in advance but that doesn't mean he was playing the game all the time. He could have played the game for 2 hours just to get a feel for the game or could have even played it for 15 mins for his article review. All the while some other user got the game, loved it and has been playing it for over 8 hours straight. I would take the opinion of thousand users to 1 single critic review but I also believe that all critics should know how to critique a game and give it a correct review that reflects what users are thinking about the game.

So reviewers should wait and look at user review scores before writing their reviews? Reviews are meant to give people an insight on a game and help them decide whether or not to buy it. If reviewers wait for people to buy it BEFORE writing a review then what the hell is the point of writing one at all?
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I watched the review, how is any of that, and the subsequent score of 8.5, anything to be taken negatively? It all looks pretty good to me, and the review seemed without flaw... I'd say the whole thing is right-on.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
Warner Bros. probably didn't give GS enough money to merit a higher score. *sarcasm*
PalmPixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PalmPixi
Member since 2011 • 361 Posts

I honestly do not get anything the OP is saying. It makes no sense. How are gamespot, who get the game a weeks time ahead, supposed to magically guess what thousand of users are going to give the game? How does 1 guys opinon = thousand of people. Not only that, but the most baised reviews are the users. It's either "omg I didn't like this game, 1.0/10" or "this game was amazing 10/10".

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts
Geez I wish reviewers would move away from a number review system. They should rate a game as either outstanding, great, good, passable, bad , and terrible. The most important part of a review is reading the reviewers likes and dislikes. If the reviewer is doing his job right, that alone should give enough information for the reader to decide on whether a game is worth it or not.
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

its an opinion, personally i would've given it a 8 or so, the game is good but the controls don't feel tight enough. i think the 9.4 user score is based on the game generally being a good mk game and since the last few have been less than stellar the improvement seems that great.

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

lol? you should see Ryan Clement's review from IGN and read all those comments! BRUTAL!!!

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts

I like the fact that GS is quite choosy with the higher scores. Gives them more value. All too often in Official PlayStation magazine, mediocre games get high review scores and it cheapens it for genuinely good games. When it comes to GS scores anything above a 7.5 I consider good and worth playing. The 9's and above are for truly epic games and certainly 8.5 is a great score. Have to agree, it's interesting how scores can vary across sites and ultimately it's one person's opinion.Molecat
So you consider all Call of Duty's epic? lol the problem is people depend on reviewers opinions and they do have some sort of sway on how a game sells. It's up to the critics to give an honest opinion. Not a biased score which is what most UK critics are doing right now. They are comparing it to SF which isn't a very good review to anyone who likes fighting games. Most are docking it points for things that are ridiculous. From Mark's review most people who review like he did would give it a higher score. He has almost no complaints. Then again this is why people "Should" think for themselves and not listen to people who think their opinions are godlike. Which most critics think.

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Foulcry

lol? you should see Ryan Clement's review from IGN and read all those comments! BRUTAL!!!

parvie

IGN is unitelligable folly. They always have been and they always will be. No one takes what they sayseriously and their opinions don't matter to anyone with half a brain. I actually liked that website betterwhen it was called Gamesages and then they sold out.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

It's just one guy's opinion. They claim to be objective, but when the main criteria for rating a game is how much fun it is, that's about as anti-objective as it gets.

savagetofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 savagetofu
Member since 2006 • 498 Posts

They gave dcuo a 7.0 right?

I remember the review on this site said there wasn't much to do after you reach level 30. Well that is a total lie. The game starts taking off once u reach level 30. The game doesn't begin until level 30. I have more stuff to do now & the game is much more interesting then when I was leveling up.

I don't know if I will ever be able to finish everything there is do in the game.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BH14

So reviewers should wait and look at user review scores before writing their reviews? Reviews are meant to give people an insight on a game and help them decide whether or not to buy it. If reviewers wait for people to buy it BEFORE writing a review then what the hell is the point of writing one at all?PeelMyBanana

Umm. When did I say that they should wait to look at user scores? I never did. I said the reviewer's score should be somewhat similar to the public's opinion of the game. For example, it is odd to see COD:Black Ops get the editors choice label and a 9.0 when the majority of the users give it like an 8 or less. That is "off the mark".

So gamespot review editors should NEVER ever be graded on how well they review a game? They can simply overrate or underrate games compared to the majority of the users simply because he can say "It is my opinion"?

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Nah it is just one dudes opinion..MethodManFTW

This - I would have given it a lower score myself.

xboxfreak1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xboxfreak1
Member since 2004 • 461 Posts

As people have said, it's one guys opinion. Just like why you are looking at the average user review score that is why metacritic averages the "professional" critic review scores. There will always be outliers and I think most people that would come to gamespot to look at reviews, you know the actual words, and the review score know about metacritic. In fact, the average metacritic review score right now IS 85% and 82% for user score. I would think most professional critics can be more objective than as previously mentioned by others a bunch of fanboys giving the game a 10 or 0 on day one.

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Foulcry

As people have said, it's one guys opinion. Just like why you are looking at the average user review score that is why metacritic averages the "professional" critic review scores. There will always be outliers and I think most people that would come to gamespot to look at reviews, you know the actual words, and the review score know about metacritic. In fact, the average metacritic review score right now IS 85% and 82% for user score. I would think most professional critics can be more objective than as previously mentioned by others a bunch of fanboys giving the game a 10 or 0 on day one.

xboxfreak1
Please I'm more "professional" then most these so called reviewers. The best critic is the consumer buying the product not the journalist who is paid to be a pompous ***. Which most of them are.
altairs_mentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 altairs_mentor
Member since 2009 • 696 Posts
The review was good. The score should have been a 9.0 given from the review. mrmusicman247
lol at your sig.
xboxfreak1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 xboxfreak1
Member since 2004 • 461 Posts

[QUOTE="xboxfreak1"]

Foulcry

Please I'm more "professional" then most these so called reviewers. The best critic is the consumer buying the product not the journalist who is paid to be a pompous ***. Which most of them are.

Yes, that's why I put the "professional" in quotation marks, because some are certainly more professional than others, and some are not professional at all. That is also why I mentioned metacritic, because it averages out the reviewers opinions to get a better idea of the overall opinion of the game. Some games this works better for though, since they have a tighter standard deviation.

I also wouldn't agree the best critic is the consumer buying the product, since as previously mentioned a lot of fanboys either rate a product a 10 because they love a franchise or a 0 because they hate a franchise or like one platform better than another. The key is to find either consumers OR critics that have a similar opinion to you and then listen to them. Quit obsessing over 1 score, especially since it's not completely unreasonable.

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#39 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
GS gives Black Ops 9.0, metacritic rating is 8.8 GS gives MK 8.5, metacritic rating is 8.6 Not sure what your problem is.
BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BH14

GS gives Black Ops 9.0, metacritic rating is 8.8 GS gives MK 8.5, metacritic rating is 8.6 Not sure what your problem is.BenderUnit22

Umm. The metacritic for Mortal Kombat is 8.8 now (not 8.6) and the user score is 9.4 (713 votes).

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Foulcry

[QUOTE="Foulcry"][QUOTE="xboxfreak1"]

xboxfreak1

Yes, that's why I put the "professional" in quotation marks, because some are certainly more professional than others, and some are not professional at all. That is also why I mentioned metacritic, because it averages out the reviewers opinions to get a better idea of the overall opinion of the game. Some games this works better for though, since they have a tighter standard deviation.

I also wouldn't agree the best critic is the consumer buying the product, since as previously mentioned a lot of fanboys either rate a product a 10 because they love a franchise or a 0 because they hate a franchise or like one platform better than another. The key is to find either consumers OR critics that have a similar opinion to you and then listen to them. Quit obsessing over 1 score, especially since it's not completely unreasonable.

I'm not obsessing over anything. Quit telling people what they should and shouldn't do. I wasn't talking about the consumer being the best critic for reviewing a game online. I was talking about consumers who don't participate in the online community. I was saying the consumer was his or her own best critic. I never said the score wasn't unreasonable either. It's a good score but because he only complained about pretty much nothing I read it like it deserved atleast a 9. Metacritic isn't always accurate or fair even for your information. Quit getting upset because people think the game deserves better.

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#42 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts

[QUOTE="BenderUnit22"]GS gives Black Ops 9.0, metacritic rating is 8.8 GS gives MK 8.5, metacritic rating is 8.6 Not sure what your problem is.BH14

Umm. The metacritic for Mortal Kombat is 8.8 now (not 8.6) and the user score is 9.4 (713 votes).

Metacritic I rest my case.

Avatar image for Poncho_Hachacha
Poncho_Hachacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Poncho_Hachacha
Member since 2011 • 675 Posts

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]Holy crap! Oh noes, someone has a differing opinion!BH14

You're essentially saying that he/she should reviewwitha bias. Reviewers should give games score that they feel it deserves, not scores that other people feel it deserves because then it wouldn't be an honest review. Also, games with more devoted followings would mean higher review scores even if the game in question isn't as good as some better but lesser known titles because devoted fans will usually rate something higher than most people would.

And that's beside the part that an 8.5 is still a great score. Reviews aren't an end all be all number. You should expect your opinion to be different. If you really love the series or the game, you may think it's worth a 9 or more. However, if you're either not familiar with the series at all or have something against it, you may think it's only worth an 8 or less.

darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#44 darksongbird
Member since 2009 • 1237 Posts

I really don't get your point, topic creator. I guess I can see why you are annoyed that it didn't score higher, but user reviews are made by users and critics are critics. They have differing opinions and don't necessarily have to mirror each other. We each have an opinion for a reason.

Insisting that the professional reviewer's final score be more like the user's is pretty crazy in my opinion. That totally cancels out the point for opinions in the first place.

I was highly annoyed that the gamespot reviewer gave Pokemon White a measly 7.5 instead of something higher but although he thought it did some things special, he felt it was still more of the same. I don't like the score but I have to realize it was his opinion. I thought the game was near perfect and would give it no lower than a 10 since I consider it the best in the series.

But really. You have to see that these reviews are just opinions of a single man. Not the all-knowing opinion. Just an opinion.

00Killaz00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#45 00Killaz00
Member since 2010 • 1014 Posts

If MK9 got an 8.5, FFXIII should have got a 20/10.